• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - 3

So three episodes in, and I'm enjoying this so far. It's basically GaoGaiGar meets Eureka Seven.

However, I do have some issues with this show that I'll hopefully get over.

One, I'm sensing that this show had major budget problems. I mean, the animation doesn't exactly look great at some parts, and this is the third episode in a row where they used the theme song for background music during a fight scene.

The former I think I think I'll get used to, but the latter is what worries me. A show should save using its OP as music during an action scene for later in the show, or at least spread it out a bit over the episodes, like GaoGaiGar did. You know, just to make it feel special when the show does play it during an awesome moment.

The main kid character is okay. That's pretty much it. But what bugs me about him is that he pretty much speeds through the character development that Renton from Eureka Seven went through pretty quickly. Already the people on this ship seem to have warmed up to him, and he's overall just a "good guy" sort of character right from the get-go, who makes little to no mistakes. Which isn't always a bad thing, I mean there's other characters I know that are like this from shows I enjoy.

But the whole situation this kid is in is ringing a lot of Eureka Seven bells, and when I compare Daiya to Renton, he really comes off as an inferior character.

Or maybe I'm thinking too hard about this three episodes in and his character development is something totally different. I don't know. The show still has some fun mecha action and hasn't done anything especially terrible so far. It's just those things that don't sit too well with me at the moment. I'll probably get over it as the show goes on.

cajunator

Banned
Cute High Earth Defense Force Love

yeah..that was a thing. It was literally a mahou shoujo with dudes and it actually works.
It was entertaining. Fujoshi must be going nuts.

Mushi-Shi - 1

I don't even know where to begin. Like, I can't remember the last show I watched where I was so absorbed in its first episode.

Everything about this was beautiful. The directing, animation, the music, it all fit together so...perfectly.

Like, the show could literally just be this first episode and I'd have been perfectly satisfied with it.

But it's not. There's 25 more episodes of this. Plus a second season.

giphy.gif

Mushi-Shi - 1

I don't even know where to begin. Like, I can't remember the last show I watched where I was so absorbed in its first episode.

Everything about this was beautiful. The directing, animation, the music, it all fit together so...perfectly.

Like, the show could literally just be this first episode and I'd have been perfectly satisfied with it.

giphy.gif

ooo enjoy

Death Parade 5

Easily the strongest episode of the series so far. They should just not focus on the games themselves and entirely rely on exploring the characters. Seems like Decim has a soft spot and a lot of appreciation for the dark hair woman, Nona seems to have a soft spot for Decim (seems like she hired him and has high hopes for him), and the red haired bartender is basically the idiot rival.

Next episode we're getting a look at how he runs his game. There's only one character we haven't been introduced to yet, which is the smiling boy that we see in the OP. Hopefully we meet him soon so we can move on and start expanding all of their characters. This show has been a nice little delight this season. Not the strongest writing but I appreciate at least the effort they're putting into not regurgitating another run of the mill anime.

Syrinx

Shirobako 14-16

After falling behind on this so I could put together a decent AOTY ballot, I'm back on and the show is as good as ever. Goth-loli stepping up for glasses girl (fucking names, how do they work?) and telling the crew to stop hanging her out to dry and leaving her to figure out everything for herself and then baseball was best.

Fuck the editor. Funny story, I'm a shithead who can't do his fucking job, so I'm just gonna act like a major douchelord.

Imawa no Kuni no Alice OVA 1

High schoolers get transported to a seemingly post-apocalyptic Tokyo where they have to play games of death. Not the most creative premise, but it works. Got some Kaiji-like tension and cool moments of epic analysis.

Pretty good adaptation of the first game, I remember putting the manga on hold because of the infrequent releases, but this makes me want to go back to it. Also makes me want a TV adaptation, which I imagine is at least possible with it still running after 13 volumes.

Death Parade 05

I'm getting the vibe that Decim caught feels over the black haired women, but years of doing his job probably made him forget how to feel feelings, if he even could have in the first place.

I LOVE the whole pool game scene. Not only was it animated beautifully but a pool table modeled after the Solar System with Lightsaber pool cues is just cool.

Also loved the fight scene between Decim and Ginti. Really good choice of camera shots to accompany the animation.

Mushi-Shi - 1

giphy.gif

2JEgLE4.gif

Sailor Moon Crystal 15

It's the obligatory school festival episode!

Nah... But we get to see all the Black Moon Clan characters right away, there's some comedy again and I guess the Spectre Sisters won't be saved in this version :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 15:

You know, sometimes I wonder if this series has had its release planned around the schedule of Sailor Moon Classic premiering on Hulu because that would explain a thing or two. It could also be coincidental but events are matching up roughly, it isn't exact for a few reasons but the Black Moon events from the classic series are still very fresh in the mind. Indeed both series open pretty much the same way. There are some changes in the details like the Black Moon clan knowing who the Sailor Scouts are from the outset and the like wise the Scouts learning about Black Moon way earlier. Probably the biggest change is the attack target and the motivation behind it.
Also, in this series Chibi-Usa is carrying around a depleted version of the Silver Crystal in addition to the time key. Sadly, Koan being based off of her manga counterpart is killed off quickly and without ceremony. Not going to lie, The Specter Sisters were just flat out done better in the 1990s series as was the showdown between the two of them in the anime series. I recommend watching that one after finishing this episode in fact. Indeed, the target was Sailor Mars for seemingly the purposes of information retrieval and her bland ass is carted away. Yea, not going to lie, Stoic Rei just isn't doing it for me. Finally, holy shit, they allowed normal humans to get screen time, they should enjoy it while it lasts because in both universes that was fading quickly.

wonzo

Banned
koufuku graffiti 2-4

koufukugraffiti4.jpg

this is honestly the first shaft show i've really enjoyed since the last hidamari sketch tv series. it helps that it has a similar creative aesthetic approach to it which really helps differentiate it from the rest of the shinbo-lite stuff they churn out. well, either that or i just haven't watched a shaft series in so long i've forgotten how low they can go. (lookin at you sasami-san)

the last ep was definitely the best one yet thanks to how much it reminded me of tamayura s2. learning about her late grandma from the memories of others further reinforcing the bond they shared was really touching and not at all what i'd expected from this series.

the finished ed's great and the previews are so good they're giving votoms ones a run for their money but for an entirely different reason!

The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls 5

5 episodes in, this show really lacks all of the charm of its predecessor. The first Idolmaster was hardly a masterpiece of characterization, but the characters in Cinderella Girls are just so dull, and the situations they are being put in are not entertaining. The bloated cast isn't working here, and I wish they had just stuck with the main three girls.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 18:

Okay, not going to lie, that episode dragged in places, mainly since Izuzu's character development is hitting on the same treadmill of tedium that Akasuki did. At least the bard has Rudy to bonce off of so it makes things somewhat more tolerable. That being said, I love how we get such large truth bombs from such casual conversation. So the People of the Land are speaking a different language and only know of 42 songs that were integrated into the game of old. That really shows how much The Adventures are changing things and why Akiba is such a beacon of hope to The People of the Land. Anyway, the scenes with Toyha and Nureha were just odd, not sure if he knows the truth, but that can wait because HOLY SHIT WYVERNS!

Defuser

And to imagine Mari Okada is doing the series composition for Koufuku Graffiti.

Mari Okada is quite ok when it comes to doing adapations unlike a certain other writer who shall not be named. Her original works are hit or miss depending on what type of genres she writes unlike the other writer who is terrible in wrting both adapations and originals.

Beefeater

Banned
Mari Okada is quite ok when it comes to doing adapations unlike a certain other writer who shall not be named. Her original works are hit or miss depending on what type of genres she writes unlike the other writer who is terrible in wrting both adapations and originals.

Tsk, don't you know Meguca is the Evangelion of our generation?

Log Horizon S2 18

cNIHDio.jpg

OH SHIT! BOTH HIS EYES ARE OPEN

The adventures of the newbie squad has been a lot more informative and interesting than I expected. Here we got the revelation of how conversation with People of the Land isn't as simple as it seems and the realization that people of the land only know 42 songs which makes sense since the MMO creator are only going to have a finite number of songs in the game and it explains why they're so enthralled with her music. As far as they're concerned they've been listening to the same 42 songs for hundreds even thousands of years. Last few moments of the episode have me wondering if Nyanta is eventually going to have to reveal himself to them and I'm still curious as to why he's following them, it can't just be for safety can it?

Tuck

Mushi-Shi - 1

giphy.gif

Mushishi is magical.

Midonin

Sailor Moon Crystal 15

The new merchandise makes a little more sense here than it did in the 90s, and I'm fine with Misato Fukuen's portrayal of Chibiusa. I'm surprised to learn just how much the sisters' roles were expanded on in the 90s... and dare I say, the 90s did it better. It's still not terrible, just average.

Fafnir 05

Huh. This is up already. Okay, one less show I need to watch on Sunday. Tear's cute, and a beach episode is fun, but now that we're getting into dragon cultists, things are feeling a little more chuuni. Not to World Break levels, but somewhat close.

Milky Holmes TD 06

Elly makes a pretty good dude, apparently. My favorite part of this episode was Milky Holmes dressing up as G4, complete with Sherlock smacking herself in the head with the gold mask simply out of habit. It also made me feel kinda bad for Emi Nitta. Between this and Love Live, so much of her career relies on her singing... wait, a lot of μ's is in Milky Holmes already. Nico, Umi and Eli have been there since the beginning, and Honoka's VA joined this season. Small world.

Joni

Got through Space Battle Yamato 2199. Sort of a Japanese BattleStar Galactica. I only think the ending is a bit lacking. I feel it might have benefited from a bit more time on Earth looking to what happened with all the characters, like Tokugawa with his grandkid. Or how Kodai never finds out about Niimi and his brother.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Should I check out Garo?

Garo is good slow but good probably the anime I've enjoyed the most this season (not saying much considering how little I've watched). Keep in mind there's two seasons and a movie announced, so it's a long haul type of thing, so they can afford to develop it's characters a bit slower than normal, also beyond the initial first episode drop the quality of the animation improves as it goes on.

Midonin

Two seasons, a movie and at least four or five other live action toku series that are also part of the same franchise. There's even a Garo musical coming out at some point in the future.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Two seasons, a movie and at least four or five other live action toku series that are also part of the same franchise. There's even a Garo musical coming out at some point in the future.

I believe this is the 5th?* Garo series, but it's a prequel thus it's likely the easiest to get into bar the original series. They really went all out in 2015 though, all that Pachinko etc money must be coming out in full force for them to have so many projects for their anniversary in 2015.

Baalzebup

^^ Whoah.. Inko love :3

Log Horizon S2 18

I'm really liking the world-building and how the effects of the world being an MMO and then.. not, is fleshed out.

I also liked how Toya has seemingly caught on to Nurehas fake persona and fake smile. Dude has good instincts.

The "Suddenly Wywerns" -scenario is a bit too similar to the thing with the Goblins and Sahuagin from S1 though. Unless this one is , for example, somehow caused by Plant Hwyaden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom