• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I know some people regard Kare Kano as Anno's best work. Haven't seen so I have no opinion on the matter.

I would too I think as director. But then what little else else I've seen I've not been too keen on. Maybe I just need to try more.

I guess my one concern might be about what impact that would have on the whole breakup.

It was one of the first anime I watched when I started watching, but even then I lamented that it did not stay focused on Kaoru and Aoi (and miyabi) and instead was more and more college house hijinx. Which was fine...I just wished it was more like 70/30 in favour of the Kaoru/Aoi.

The thing is that, to me, the relationship between Kaoru and Aoi and the characterization of the two suffers from everything else that's going on. For example, the typical 'everyone wants MCs dick' trope totally ends up changing my perspective on the Kaoru, who at first appeared rather troubled himself and Aoi was supposedly the first girl he had in his room or so. Yet, he then happens to be very easy going and popular with the ladies. Overall, instead of getting his character properly developed, Kaoru simply remains the same good-hearted guy from episode 1. likewise his relationship with Aoi feels stagnant. Her characterization may be even more stagnant. I was wondering if the show would be touching on the fact that all she aspired too is being Kaoru's wife. But nah, there's almost nothing.

edit:

I know some people regard Kare Kano as Anno's best work. Haven't seen so I have no opinion on the matter.

It doesn't, because Anno quits before the end. BUT, it's excellent up to that point - and it's not dreadful, just more pedestrian, afterwards (although ends right in the middle of a storyline).

Interesting, sounds like I still got a mostly good time before me with this then.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders Season 2, Episode 5:

I know some people have not liked this particular battle but I found it mostly refreshing, aside from the comedy attempts, which honestly fell flat with me.

G-Reco 19

This is probably the best representation of incestuous desires as a plot point in an anime in the past few ye--

Oh wait, WIXOSS came out not too long ago. Nevermind. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also dem space pirates. This show has always been impressive at managing the tension and this episode is no different.

Mature

So, ANN had an interview with Gkids! The highlights, according to Fandom Post's WTK (with some additional comments by myself):

-They do not have the home video rights to Only Yesterday; however, they do have the film print, and the theatrical rights. They believe it will get a home video release eventually.
-75% of sales are DVD, Blu-Ray only making up 25%
-No plans to release Giovanni's Island
-No plans for any TV series, ever. Not even Ronja!
Giovanni's Island. =(

Quasar

The thing is that, to me, the relationship between Kaoru and Aoi and the characterization of the two suffers from everything else that's going on. For example, the typical 'everyone wants MCs dick' trope totally ends up changing my perspective on the Kaoru, who at first appeared rather troubled himself and Aoi was supposedly the first girl he had in his room or so. Yet, he then happens to be very easy going and popular with the ladies. Overall, instead of getting his character properly developed, Kaoru simply remains the same good-hearted guy from episode 1. likewise his relationship with Aoi feels stagnant. Her characterization may be even more stagnant. I was wondering if the show would be touching on the fact that all she aspired too is being Kaoru's wife. But nah, there's almost nothing.

Well..I only ever really felt it was Tina who wanted Kaoru. But then it has been a while. Of course my memory is probably confusing the manga and anime a bit too.

Mature

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised. It seems like something that would be right up their alley! I think someone will license it eventually, but if not Gkids, then I have no idea who.
Who else but the saviors of anime licensing. Discotek.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 05

The God Rays of light have returned =/

Also yay for more blurred out scenes! Who knows what Juzo was sticking into Kuro to warrant such measures!?

cajunator

Banned
The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls 05

tumblr_njdbxb6Qy21r3rdh2o1_540.gif

Ah, I see now that I understand idols this show is trying to make me understand catgirls.

I still don't.

I do though! And my god they actually made Anastasia one. SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I guess my one concern might be about what impact that would have on the whole breakup.

It was one of the first anime I watched when I started watching, but even then I lamented that it did not stay focused on Kaoru and Aoi (and miyabi) and instead was more and more college house hijinx. Which was fine...I just wished it was more like 70/30 in favour of the Kaoru/Aoi.

I do wish the mix was more that direction too.

Well..I only ever really felt it was Tina who wanted Kaoru. But then it has been a while. Of course my memory is probably confusing the manga and anime a bit too.

Tina was pretty devastated when she had to leave in enishi. She definitely felt the most for Kaoru.
Like I said, the show was unfocused but I liked the other characters. They were great friends and supporters for Kaoru throughout and the harem hijinx at least gave way to simple quiet moments with the leads sometimes. Its a hard show to pin down really.

Flowers of Evil 08

I don't think I can quite follow the train of thought of the main trio. Especially if Saeki
will be okay with the truth about Kasuga,
which seems to be the case at the end of this episode.

The secret you won't find out unless you read the manga is
Saeki is more fucked up than either Kasuga or Nakamura

Rainy

Banned
The Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls 5

People trying to pull a Miki, I swear to god!

Can't wait to hear some songs from the subgroups.

Garo 17

Well shit. Apparently fuck anything going right in Leon's life because he is apparently destined to lose everything he fucking loves and holds dear. I could feel the disaster happening but to be honest I only thought the girl would actually die, not the entire fucking family including the dog. But of course I guess this is the best way story wise to get Leon back into the fight because otherwise he was heading the route of becoming a family man with a farm and cute wife.

Death Parade 05

Nice info dumpish episode that kept things interesting while dumping a whole lot of information about the operation Nona is running and some info about Onna as well. Also was a nice showing off of a couple arbiter abilities as well. I love how Nona throughout this entire episode does nothing but show how very seriously she takes her top level position and how tight of a ship she is running here, she takes very little nonsense or mistakes from her subordinates or from even possibly those above her. Seems to me that she clearly has a goal in mind here.

Midonin

Mission-E 04-06

In some ways, Maori's story is reprising elements from Chinami's in Code with some of the social isolation, but it's odd to notice that Chinami and Oz are at least in part causing that isolation, as much as they work to alleviate it. "Wake up, go to school, save the world" has its share of stress and tolls on those who do it, and while it's clear Maori still values Chinami (her airheadedness aside), I get the feeling she's going to have to break at some point from all that's been going on. Also, I barely recognized Adol without his bright yellow hair.

Vecks

Well I'm glad I am supposedely entering the period where Gintama becomes great because honestly the last 24 episodes were kind of a drag for the most part

I personally find that the earlier episodes are funnier on rewatches, after going through the rest of the series and getting to know the characters better.

Bunnygirl teacher is best girl.
She's too evil for me to like her character...

She must be pretty amazing to outdo Charles or Laura bunnygirls.
Nothing in Absolute Duo comes even close to matching anything in IS, including the bunnygirls... though yes, the bunnygirl teacher is dressed that way ALL the time, instead of just sometimes, so there is that. But still, no way is she better than IS girls.

I guess the trap is to compare any harem show with IS.

Please don't .harem shows never asked for this !!!
IS kind of is on a separate tier from anything else in the genre, but school harem action anime with the guy rooming with a girl (semi-)involuntarily? IS is the first thing I think of for that, so a comparison as inevitable even if this is definitely nowhere near IS-tier stuff, just a generic bad anime.

Anyway , absolute duo won't be remembered in 5 months but it's at least more grounded in reality than ..."world break " lol
Oh yeah, World Break. A couple of gifs of that were more than enough to tell me that I have no interest in watching that disaster of a show... yeah, I'll definitely pass on that. Goes a bit too far towards total stupidity.

Well that isn't what has happened in the instance I was talking about. But I poorly phrased that question.
Ah. Still though, that's what that kind of thing makes me think of.

Ah i see. Was wondering if it was maybe a subcategorie of harem . Maybe a sharing harem :p, or an open type relationship thing of some kind, or everyone is bi.

Yamada technically is a harem series, I guess, but it's a quite atypical one. It's more normal manga than niche-otaku-only stuff; there was even a live-action adaptation of the manga. It's cool it's getting an anime too, good manga.

Yeah I just don't know if that's enough. The characters don't really feel genuine to me, which is no surprise considering abundant use of harem tropes (so much groping and falling *sigh*, as well as everyone kind of wanting MCs dick). It started of well in that regard but just got worse and worse. Even the moments Kaoru and Aoi do have together lack variety and just like things I've seen before a million times.

I'm enjoying it less with each episode, so I'll discontinue.
Ai Yori Aoshi is an awful, awful show. I watched it back in the mid '00s, and really hated it. I did watch the whole first series anyway, but at least I haven't gone back to watch Enishi. I mostly remember the series being generic and bad, and kind of hating the female lead -- her idea of "standing up for herself and breaking with her family" is... deciding to stay with the guy who she had been told as a child that she would be arranged-married to. No. I don't like that one bit. Such an awful message there!

Future Card Buddyfight Episode 56 (engDub)
tumblr_inline_nj4m19nnv11qke6al.jpg

Wow Gremlin finally got to fight and it was spectacular. I think the outcome was predictable due to plot but I imagine if he got another chance in some future fight then we could see things differently. Regardless with him building all the decks for team darkness masterminds I fully expect many great things, especially with the upcoming matchups.

Best cards were easily Death Dragon, Deathgaze Dragon, and Black Dragon of Demise, Death Tallica.

Jarmel

Banned
I should mention that one thing Garo has done exceedingly well is develop Leon as a character. I feel like the show has made him a flawed person while still also being root-able at the same time despite his mistakes, which is a very hard thing to do. Too often we have a 'perfect' protagonist or even someone who is flawed, but is flawed in such a way that it's hard to feel empathy for. Leon's mistakes while still being his own, are also a product of his environment, mainly his shitty father. He however owns up to them and has realized what he was lacking. Up to this episode he was trying to come to peace with himself and find his place in the world. The great thing about the show was that due to his personality flaws, he ended up losing in the first half in a horrible way. I mean how many protagonists do you see absolutely humbled and shat on before they
attempt suicide
? The show is very much about Leon's redemption and development as a character and I feel that the core writing has lived up to that lofty goal every bit.
Even now, with the
death of his surrogate family, it's a way of testing Leon to see if he will fall back into his singular focus on revenge or overcome those dark emotions. Note how his new family was also burned to death, just like his mother.
It was very obvious that he was going to get back in the game in some way or another, but I also think this type of event was necessary for him to progress as a character. The next few episodes will be trying for him emotionally. Leon's character arc is also a good analysis of many heroes who fight for these idealistic concepts such as justice or peace without really understanding them.

In addition, episode 17 was needed for Alfonso's character as Alfonso rightfully admits that he was too hard on Leon. Of course scumbag German is nowhere to be found.

It's pretty great if you pretend nothing exists after episode 18. The production difficulties really hold the show back, I mean this is a show that ends with a series of recap episodes.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 5

ALL HAIL KANEKIPEDE!!!😮😮😮

The animation, fights, and music were top notch for this episode. Seeing Kaneki's transformaion was so fuckin enjoyable. Though they didn't add much dialogue to show his insanity, but I guess they'll show us later on. Man are Centipedes really vicious.

Seeing Kourna/Nashiro's flashback was nice as it help deepen their characters as they were former CCG students. But damn is Suzuya a complete pyscho, he started cutting them up like they were nothing. The Ayato and Shinohara fight was really tragic as you basically see Ayato fighting his Dad. This actually helped provide depth to Ayato's character. The Amon and Kaneki confrontation was pretty great as you see Amon repaying Kaneki back for not killing him. It also seems Tarata and Hoji have known each other further back. I wonder what their conflict is.

Hot damn is Owl huge, looks like he's out for blood. I wonder if that's Old man Yoshimura. Anyways the music was done really well in this episode. And like always the Ending song with the art was amazing.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 29

I wanted to complain about how misleading the Anubis art was early on where we get

when it's all serious and shit then we end up with this

and i think even a scooby doo laugh at one point but realized the shitty art was probably part of the joke and that I probably drank too much to be in on it so decided otherwise ~chu.

Gundam: Reconguista in G 19:
So many twists and new groups being introduced. You know, back around when the Dorette army was introduced I joked (?) that each new episode would introduce another new faction. That's kind of actually happened. This is like the most Tomino anime ever. And man,
Flaminia is the most duplicitous character of all time. I can't wait for her next three betrayals in the following episode

I also don't really get why Manny is just kind of hanging around. I feel like people should be more suspicious of her. Even Ringo had to sit in a cell for a little while before they let him out.

The end of this episode was pretty dramatic, and it seems like shit has really started to go down. I really can't wait for the next episode with how this one ended.

Midonin

For the curious, in today's Cinderella Girls, aside from Shizuku, the other two alongside her were Sanae Katagiri (the policewoman idol) and Aki Yamato (the military otaku idol)

PriPara 31

Show me your cosmic miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind

Once Cosmos is outside her horrendous DS character model and singing a rather awesome song, my love for her goes up several hundred fold. Sophie's older sister rocks! Nozomi Yamamoto is getting some great roles this season, and Cosmo may have been the best yet. I do have to wonder whose side Meganee and company are on. They gave the Paradise Dress to Falulu, but something
caused it to not trigger a Cyalume Change
. Perhaps having "friends" instead of just "fans" is important after all. And what a change of events it is to have Gloria consoling the girls to get back in shape and start idoling again. (Dorothy and Leona became delinquents really quickly, didn't they?)

I saw Meganee running the food stalls where the bear and the rabbit were drowning their sorrows, and even if a group like Solami Smile is in a funk for a bit, those food stalls and Falulu's increased presence can still bring in a steady stream of money. The God of Idol Commerce can see everything - is all of this to bring out Lala's Prism Voice? What is the Prism Voice? And can Cosmo do another song? Because that was awesome.

Shin Mazinger Z - 13

3bJUU1H.png
t4tE5dL.png

I love this show.

That and I also enjoyed the part before that when they ran into Brocken in the air and constantly got his name wrong, adding some more enjoyable humour.

Oh man at
that reveal at the end. From the few clips I've seen of this show prior to watching it, I assumed Tsubasa would probably be Kabuto's mother or something, but I didn't think they'd reveal this early in the show. I know this is the halfway point, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom