• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Four Seasons

7kQ3m2G.jpg

Tourism anime, eh?

It's 4 shorts made to promote tourism in Saitama. There's a love story complete with memory loss and cherry blossoms in the wind, a comedy story where they visit one of the hottest towns in summer (um... why would anybody want to go there?), a story about flower fairies that gets help getting home by nice people and a sad mother in hospital story that turns out to just be some kind of misunderstanding.

The comedy one is funny enough, and the rest ain't too bad. Not sure they actually achieve the goal of getting people to want to go to these places though... They show some shrines, places with flowers and trees, but those kind of things are all over Japan, and the slogan or whatever you want to call it at the end is 'Saitama next to Tokyo'? Well... I guess they want people who just visit Tokyo to go to Saitama as well, but still...

Anyway... The anime shorts are decent so 3/5 buses:
UPBCNyH.png
UPBCNyH.png
UPBCNyH.png
8253YgU.png
8253YgU.png

Thanks, will probably find another giant robits show to watch then.

I'd recommend Gundam Build Fighters if you have not seen that (a lot of people in this thread would too) probably the best mecha series in a long while. You don't need background Gundam knowledge to enjoy it either, but it certainly helps to make the enjoyment greater

I'd recommend Gundam Build Fighters if you have not seen that (a lot of people in this thread would too) probably the best mecha series in a long while. You don't need background Gundam knowledge to enjoy it either, but it certainly helps to make the enjoyment greater

I'v been thinking about it, I haven't seen a Gundam since Seed, I was tempted to get into 00 but haven't heard the best things so I might give build fighters a shot. It does seem to be a lot of fun.

phaze

Aldnoah Zero 17

Guess we can add "master interrogator" to Inaho's resume now.

+ Artificial eye firmware programmer
+Rayet's personal shrink.
+Odysseus

Nope, they never say what's actually on them. Apparently in a video game spinoff (Girlfriend of Steel maybe?) they do but that's probably non-canon.
If you mean what they are, they're the actual Dead Sea Scrolls that contain ancient writings on the Old Testament but in Eva they contain the secret to Instrumentality or some shit

Yeah I meant their origins, what they contain and some details how Seele got their hands on them I guess. Anything to shed some light on one of crucial plot points that never got more than a few vague mentions in the TV run/ EoE.

Rebuild spoilers:
Shinji will write them at the end of last movie to complete the cycle.

The Dead Seas Scrolls don't matter beyond the fact they prophesied the Angels coming and everything that would happen which is why Seele was prepared with NERV and the Evas at the start of the series, and why they would chew Gendo out when he went off script.

They seem to matter quite a bit then ! :p

Yeah I meant their origins, what they contain and some details how Seele got their hands on them I guess. Anything to shed some light on one of crucial plot points that never got more than a few vague mentions in the TV run/ EoE.

Rebuild spoilers:
Shinji will write them at the end of last movie to complete the cycle.

They seem to matter quite a bit then ! :p

I dunno it always seemed like one of those things that didn't need a lot of explanation, Eva for the most part held back on explaining every little thing and I think the series is better for that
except that piece of shit 3.33

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rolling☆Girls Episode 5:

The honeymoon is certainly over with this show, we knew they were never going to keep pace with this first two episodes but god damn nobody told this show to become this fucking boring and tedious. Really this series should have been about Kuniko Shigyou and Masami Utoku and their eternal rivalry. Indeed, I am getting close to the edge on this one as well, the visuals can only take it so far.

Quasar

Log Horizon 2.18

Really liked all the background detail about language and translators. And the 42 songs.

I suppose its not Nureha just summoning the wyverns.

Kind of surprised they have not used the singing to slot in a jpop song rather than just using that same song all the time.

So I like giant Robits and Argevollen looks okay, is it worth watching?

It really depends on what kind of mecha show you're looking for. While Argevollen had a rough start and generally slow pacing, I enjoyed it for what it was, a more grounded war (compared to stuff like Newtype and Aldnoah magic) that just happened to also have mechs and a prototype mech that isn't up and away the savior of the war. Budget is clearly an issue at times, though.

Non Non Biyori | 01-04

This is pretty great. Relaxing and much healing. Renge is the best followed by Koma. Renge's deadpan face and her silly behavior and comments cracks me up.
When she fucked up the planting of rice and her sister gave pro tip, I thought Renge was taking the piss out of her and started laughing my ass off.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Rolling☆Girls Episode 5:

The honeymoon is certainly over with this show, we knew they were never going to keep pace with this first two episodes but god damn nobody told this show to become this fucking boring and tedious. Really this series should have been about Kuniko Shigyou and Masami Utoku and their eternal rivalry. Indeed, I am getting close to the edge on this one as well, the visuals can only take it so far.

Time to drop?

Jarmel

Banned
Rolling Girls would be a much better show if the main cast wasn't so generic. If they were a food, they would be regular tofu.

It's a shame as the direction and visuals are fun.

Shin Mazinger Z - 15

B9RyafNCQAA7iWi.png:large

Oh yeah, like this doesn't remind you of anything.

Oh man, I did not expect to actually feel sad during this arc. I mean, it's easy to figure out where it's going, that and they pretty much spoil you right when the arc starts.

But man, the way it all plays out is just heartbreaking.

So here we have Shiro, who just learned that Tsubasa is his mother and that she killed his father. He is later then forced to hear that his first love is the human heart of a robot made specifically for defeating Mazinger Z, and forced to watch her combine with the giant robot and start fighting her brother. Who then proceeds to RIP OFF THE HEAD OF THE ROBOT CONTAINING THE GIRL'S SOUL AND SMASH HER WITH IT RIGHT IN FRONT OF SHIRO.

Damn. Just...damn

Man, I've gone from lukewarm, to enjoying, to loving this show. This is some really well done stuff here.

[Aria the Animation] - 03

I liked how the town loked without streets in the past episode.
in the first episode I was thinking why they used only one single glove and chalked it up to just quirky character design but there was a reason.
in the last episode it was so easy to see how Aika and Akira are similar, after this one Akari just need to learn to arara~ and ufufu~ ( and how to row a boat) to be the next Alicia. Alice's mentor is going to be like her too, right?
...and there was Akatsuki this episode too...so many names starting with A. Hmm weather controllers on a floating island...

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 02

I like Minami. She's kinda like Reika and Karen, just with a more classy air. Her transformation is also beautiful, and the water tornado she uses for her finisher is pretty sweet. I'm surprised that Kirara won't be transforming in episode 3 - instead we're getting an episode about Pafu and her days at school. The show's off to a fine start so far, and the yuri levels are simply off the charts.

fertygo

Rolling Girls - 05

Best episode since eps 2, this town is so much fun.. the guest star is much better than the afro freak from previous town (bleh)
The biker dude is cool as hell.. the town have worse culture than tipping culture at america though lol

Hope next episode ended with mega sakuga race. can't wait.. still AOTS

Go! Princess Precure 2

More surfing than Lollipop hiphop skateboarded. A friendly reminder that dancing hurts and is very flexible, much like Cure Mermaid.

CG finishers are here to stay, and quite frankly, it looked pretty bad in Mermaid's case. Granted when they finish their CG Stock, it looks bad all around.

>No Kirara time next episode

CHcmRc0.gif

Tonari no Kaibutsu - 02-06

So, it's so far definitely above average for this kind of Romcom I'd say and fairly amusing, to the largest part thanks to the blunt nature of some of these characters and these wonderful expressions:

There's also quite a few rather cute moments!

However, as this show relies on primarily its characters and their relations, they have to feel natural to me to have a big impact. And this guy...he doesn't feel that well written:

So Haru has amazing grades, good looks, is strong, at times brash, at others shy, has great conversational skills, can read people really well but also be oblivious... hmm. I could go on quite a bit but the gist of it is: he doesn't feel like a natural, believable character. His attributes seem to contradict his action pretty often but that's no surprise when he's kind of everything; a bit of whatever the plot needs him to be.

That's not even to mention the fact that he has the top entry exam grades (or what it is) amazing grades despite not showing up at middle school for 3 consecutive years. His grades keep being amazing at high school too, even though we don't see him studying whatsoever and he downright tells Shizuku that he doesn't really do that anyways. That proposition is kinda ridiculous, even if he's some kind of genius.

Well, we're then told some of his back-story that he apparently studied a lot during his three year absence from middle school, where he even got into the more advanced material for high school. He does so after being kicked out of his family home and living with his uncle or so instead. And I just wonder, where does he get the material to study properly? How is the school fine with him not showing up whatsoever? Wouldn't that kind of life cripple his ability to socialize? Why does the show say "yes" to that latter question and show us the opposite a bit later?

His character just seems to be quite inconsistent and overall not that greatly written. Especially when I compare him to the two main characters in "Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou", which I empathize with much more easily after roughly the same amount of episodes.

[Aria the Animation] - 04

Undine, Salamander and now Sylph...where are the Gnomes?
The catgirl
who leapt through time
?
I can't really believe the water of Aqua was all extracted from colonies. The terraforming of Mars wasn't really well planned.

Edit: Next! Beach episode!

Mr.Jeff

Samurai Flamenco - 02
Masayoshi is still a really bizarre person. By all accounts his logic isn't wrong but yet it still totally fails in real life examples. Presumably now his manager will start putting two and two together. Hopefully they don't go down the route of trying to market him...ugh

Interesting song that he sings during is job as well; for a hero song it's pretty violent! Lyrics which repeat the theme of killing and slicing up enemies with an axe.

Mature

Übermatik;151087943 said:
Was wondering if anyone here could help me regarding Ghost in the Shell: SAC.

There's an episode where Seito is up on some radio tower to take out a sniper and they both fire at the same time... can anyone remember what episode that is?

*EDIT* It's this scene!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yXttJss_7o&spfreload=10 Doesn't list episode though...
It's from Solid State Society which is a Stand Alone Complex movie.

Kuttsukiboshi

Kuttsukiboshi

The yuriest anime can get without being hentai?

Oh, and some incest.

Hahahaha. I read a very through description of what went down in this show before, and oh man do I enjoy impressions of it. It's like, one of the most bizarre little OVAs out there.

Samurai Flamenco - 02
Masayoshi is still a really bizarre person. By all accounts his logic isn't wrong but yet it still totally fails in real life examples. Presumably now his manager will start putting two and two together. Hopefully they don't go down the route of trying to market him...ugh

Interesting song that he sings during is job as well; for a hero song it's pretty violent! Lyrics which repeat the theme of killing and slicing up enemies with an axe.

I always love people who try to guess what happens in Samurai Flamenco.

Because well, you know. :3

Shin Mazinger Z - 16

Well...that's one crisis averted!
Seriously, Mazinger Z, the robot your grandfather made for you, kinda turned into a monster right before your eyes there Kouji. You sure you're okay there? All right...

Otherwise, looks like we're heading into Great General of Darkness territory with this Mycenae business. So that should be interesting as
Dr. Hell wasn't around for that movie but he's still alive here.

Also, what was up with that Baron Ashura narration over the manga pages in the opening of this episode? That was weird.

[Aria the Animation] - 05

I can't belive this episode
began talking about not believing in mysterious things when in the last episode she delivered a letter a cat gave her on a mysterious alley she never managed to find again.
At least the fan service was good.
Right coach?
Nice episode, all in one day of hard work, guts and determination.

faridmon

I always love people who try to guess what happens in Samurai Flamenco.

Because well, you know. :3

Haha, its always amusing and cute to see people innocently predict whats gonna happen, never knowing they only just reached the surface.

Oh, man I am so jealous of people watching it for the first time, so many times have my mind being blown away by the sheeer.... you know.

I sold Kuttsukiboshi to my friends as a family friendly anime.

Usually I judge people... very often.

Just to let you know.

cajunator

Banned
End of Evangelion

This was something alright.. I definitely liked it more than the end of the series that's for sure.
So in my interpretation Gendo and those talking stones wanted different outcomes for what was about to happen, that's why they attacked NERV. Gendo wanted to see/be united with Yui (EVA 01) again, but Rei (Lilith? who now has Adam with her) says fuck it.

The whole humanity bonding souls instrumentality whatever the fuck it is begins. The last two episodes of the show is Shinji's instrumentality and by the end he breaks free/turns it down and goes back to earth, killing Lilith/Rei? in the process. I guess something similar happened with Asuka.
I have no fucking idea where the rest of humanity is but I guess they all became one and is inside the floating orb, which eventually bleeds and spreads across the planet. They can eventually restore their bodies if their heart can create their own image or some shit.
Yui (eva 01) is alone and floating in space, as a sign that they existed for some reason.

If only this was the ending of the show. Congratulations left a sour taste in my mouth. I loved all the crazy visuals. That vulture scene was great. I'm okay with this ending, though unless it flew by my head there's still questions unanswered, but those may be in the rebuild.

that is exactly why Anno made EoE. The original anime ending left a lot of people cold. they wanted more. Anno was like, "oh you'll get more alright".

[Aria the Animation] - 01

It was pretty nice. It was nice to see Akari be so cheerful. Liked the background music too.
Aika-chan remimded me of Norie from Tamayura, but how does she row her gondola wearing high heels? That seems dangerous
"Accidentally practiced rowing backwards"...HOW?!
Aria Sachou is so cute. What is he? a cat?

yes. Yes he is.
Theres another cat too called Maa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom