• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I am curious how you quantify this exactly.

Have you watched it?

To me, I had not enjoyed watching an anime as much as the mentioned since Attack on Titan in April of 2013.

I don't watch many anime, so maybe my scope is limited in claiming that it's personally one of the best anime I have watched in a while. Still, the production values are among the best I have ever seen for an anime (TV) and the story, and pacing, is great.

Really enjoyed it =D

KanColle's streaming time has been clarified. Tomorrow, at 1:30 PM ET.

I don't know a whole lot about this franchise beyond the massive amount of pixiv fanart it got, but this and Cinderella Girls are potentially the way of the future.
KanColle IS the way of the future. Touhou's time is over.

~wan wan

Get ready for shipping puns.

N95QQsJ.jpg

Excel Saga 14

Last episode was a recap giving us Pedro the Movie (showing us everything we already knew ;-;)

But we gained some new characters, one of them gave creep vibes the moment you saw kids having some emphasis
and then he kidnaps a child

Another is a new girl, who was rather surprising given the scientist's... tastes.
And then the end happened :l

The feel of social commentary

Celty a cute.

I need to say this before I delve into...

This.

Look.

I'll have my fun with watching/reading incest whenever its brought up.

And I even consider Older Sister + Younger Brother to be one of the most entertaining kinds.

But Namie attaching the head to a stalker her brother just killed so he could frolic around with it saying love this and love that, while she's content with just keeping tabs on him as her form of love?

That crazy train left a loooooong time ago.

And its never coming back.

Excel Saga 15

So I guess there's more plot now like they said there would be. And the loser squad getting more attention since they were treated like crap towards the end of the first half.

And more of... that scientist....

Kh4kNBW.jpg

e_i

Absolute Duol episode 1

Boring character designs. Show is interesting. So no one questions
a loli principal and the fact that girls and boys are shacking up. I expected the girls to get pissed at the lead sharing a room with the girl, but not a peep.

Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love - 01

Being a magical girl boy show, I need awesome battles and/or suffering to watch really, this episode showed me neither so this is probably not for me. It had a few funny moments and random ass stuff like that.. pink wombat alien and chikuwabu food enemy? I'm a fan of stupid shit.
I'll see how next episode evolves before I decide to stop watching, maybe the comedy alone will win me over. That green hedgehog is up to no good with the cool kids. I'll let the image speak for itself.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Have you watched it?

To me, I had not enjoyed watching an anime as much as the mentioned since Attack on Titan in April of 2013.

I don't watch many anime, so maybe my scope is limited in claiming that it's personally one of the best anime I have watched in a while. Still, the production values are among the best I have ever seen for an anime (TV) and the story, and pacing, is great.

Really enjoyed it =D

That explains just about everything.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
told all y'all absolute duo was gonna be scrapin' the bottom of the barrel of ln schlock

I can't agree to this sentiment if only because at least Absolute Duo would have shock value on its side to make it interesting, it can;t even managed the ability to offend it is so cliched in its perversions.

cajunator

Banned
The first episode of Bears goes up tomorrow at Funi's site, so I'll see what everyone's talking about then. Also, since both Earth Defense Club and World Break have their start dates listed as a week after their TV debut, it makes me think CR will also get World Break and stream it worldwide.

This Funi/CR teamup creates a fair bit of redundancy, but makes more shows watchable by more people. These opening weeks of simulcast season are always the toughest.

Breaking Edit

CR has Military!, the short anime and other cute military anime this season.

I havent heard of Military but it looks exactly like something I would watch :D

Now and Then, Here and There Full Series

hello-darkness-gob-gif-wall-1.gif

*deep breath*

Well alright then. Let's get some of the objective stuff out of the way. NATHAT is about a young Japanese boy named Shuzo Matsutani (or "Shu" as he prefers.) He's an extraodinarily obtimistic boy who sucks at kendo and likes to climb smoke stacks. One day he meets a Rei clone young girl named LaLa-Ru, who is kidnapped by a mysterious woman and snake robots. After a struggle, he is transported to another world which is covered in desert, aboard a ship called "Hellywood" ruled by one King Hamdo. I've heard about this series for a long time, and have had it in my backlog. For one reason or another I never got to it, but I finally had the chance to watch it (dubbed).

The series is very well directed. The director is Akitaro Daichi, who aside from Fruits Basket I am not very familiar with his work. But on the directing side he did a bang up job with some stuff here. The way shots were all placed wonderfully, whether they were from a character's perspective,
inside a skull
, an aerial view or underneath, there was a real photo-like quality to many of the shots. Scenes like the
strangled cat motif
and
Hellywood's launch
are some of the best directing I've seen.

The sound design likewise is phenomenal. Not just simple things like the music (which I enjoyed), or the dub(which was great), but just the way things sound. Clanging against metal, steam hissing out, rocks crumbling, blows landing. I consider the best sound design I've heard in anime to be Jin-Roh, but honestly this came close. Not to mention the usage of music, which sprung up from time to time, but mostly the scenes and the acting were left on it's own, which I appreciated.

On to the meat of the show, the writing. NATHAT is known for being depressing. No, not "aw that character I liked died" depressing, I mean brutal soul crushing holy shit is this what this episode is about depressing. It will put you through the grinder from episode 2, and just goes higher and higher. This anime deals with child soldiers,
sexual abuse and abortion
completely straight. It got under my skin. But even with that, I think the show handled such sensitive topics very well, and I will acknowledge that.

But I do have a problem with the show, a rather large one in fact. That problem is Shu, or rather the show's treatment of him. Now, I have no problem with optimistic, headstrong, and resourceful characters, in fact I welcome that. I'm forgiving of situations in fiction that stretch the limit of my disbelief. Sometimes, good things happen to the protagonist that allows him to succeed where others would fail, that's just something that happens in fiction.

But the problem with this show is the ludicrous amount of times that things work out great for Shu. I'm talking contrivance after contrivance. The series spends some early episodes putting Shu through the ringer, but as soon as he gets his big stick you might as well have given spinach to popeye holy shit. Escapes from Hellywood and has a large search party after you? No worries!
Nabuca will be the first and only one to find you and let you go.
Giant sandworm in the desert? No problem!
Just find a backpack filled with grenades that the worm will grab with its tongue, pulling the pin out at the same fucking time.
The village you're staying at ransacked by Hellywood?
NABUCA AND BOO WILL BE THE ONLY FUCKING PEOPLE TO FIND YOU, AND THE MINUTE TABOOL IS ABOUT TO SHOOT YOU THE ORDER IS GIVEN NOT TO SHOOT YOU.

It's baffling, because aside from that I wouldn't call the series poorly written. Everything that's important is established early on. There's visible character development and characterization. It's a show that knows what it wants to do with the characters, and in many cases does it effectively, but sometimes it can come up with some really dumb ways of getting there.

ok, getting long. Did I like the show? Yes. Would I recommend the show? Yes. Is it perfect? Hell no. But at 13 episodes, You could do a hell of a lot worse.

Also, the world of Hellywood was totally the future, it says it at the beginning of like every episode.

This show is something else. Really hit me hard for some reason when I watched it. The ED wasnt helping matters. Some see it as heavy handed but I think the show did a good job of putting characters through hell and back and really show what they were made of. Hamdo is a completely fascist crazy bastard of a villain and I loved him for it.

Just recently finished Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works

Sooooo goooooddddd

Best anime in years, especially in production values.

I would certainly hesitate to say best anime in years but its pretty good.

Excel Saga 16

*previews say everyone loves anime and that it's popular worldwide*

xaRfCQc.jpg

Also yuri. Of course, nowhere near Puni Puni Poemy's level.

wonzo

Banned
a reminder i need to get caught up. who has the time!?

timemofu.jpg

e: just realised a ~wan wouldve worked so much better orz

I can't agree to this sentiment if only because at least Absolute Duo would have shock value on its side to make it interesting, it can;t even managed the ability to offend it is so cliched in its perversions.

it's just a whole lotta nothing and theres *ahem* nothing worse than that (seinfeld doesnt count!)

10 more episodes until Puni Puni Poemy lite!

Speaking of which...

Excel Saga 17

OHSHIT! PUNI PUNI POEMY NAMED DROPPED! BY PEDRO'S KID SANDORA NO LESS!

PEDRO LIVES AGAIN TO DO BATTLE AGAINST GOMEZ~! WHAT EXCITEMENT!

Too bad Sandora died ;-;

Also a whole bunch of American lies about Japanimation, that just seems so cruel to watch nowadays because it's no longer true. Oh man... it's just so sad....

Crocodile

Yuri Kuma 1

I have no fucking clue what the hell I just watched. Is Utena this indecipherable?

Barakamon 1-6 & Nozaki-kun 1-6

Ok, these are pretty legit (the former more than the later). Barakamon can be a bit heavy handed but I do appreciate its generally strong attempts at character development. As for Nozaki-kun, Hori & Kashima's relationship is weird. The show is already kind of Looney Toons but I'm not sure it's Looney Toons enough to pull off their kind of slapstick :/

Parasyte -the maxim- Episode 9

I present to all present, the dumbest motherfucker to have ever lived.

Just you wait :p

mdubs

Banned
I think all I'm picking up this season is Saekono (will make OT unless someone else does it first) and Aldnoah 2.

So I'll be keeping up with:

Your Lie in April
Shirobako
Saekono
Aldnoah Zero 2

Excel Saga 18

Actually I did not even notice that The Great Will and Sexy Wife had the same voice actually. The Man is truly the big bad of Pedro's Life

Will Watanabe ever win the Hyattbowl? No. I don't think so.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Squirrel girl fan?

Calling Duckroll.
Whatever, I wouldn't expect a dog to have good taste in bears.

Bears are the eternal enemy of dogs, as outlined in Silver Fang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom