• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just typed this into Google images, panty shots everywhere. Why...

Pretty sure that is your settings that are interfering with google search.

Because :

yukikumaarashi.jpg

Nope , everything is fine on my end

VRMN

Absolute Duo 01

What better way to start a season than with its harem trash? The two girls who actually had enough screen time to make an impression were okay. The better of the two got out while the getting was good, but she also has a distinctive (marketable) design, a big name seiyuu voicing her, and had the main character blushing. She'll be back. The other girl was cute enough, but quirky isn't the same thing as interesting. She's also obviously the main girl going by her early status and the ED. The less said about the male lead the better; he's generic action harem lead trash. Fitting that they got Kirito's seiyuu to voice him. I'll give it another episode or two to do something interesting, but since the preview indicated girls in bloomers...I'm not getting my hopes up.

Kamisama (Kiss) Hajimemashita 2 01

I didn't dislike the first season, despite it having a snail's pace development structure, almost no interesting characters, and garnering a curious infatuation from Funimation's brass. Maybe the demographic shift making female-targeted series more marketable in Japan reached America in a noticeable way? In any event, it's still reverse harem, Tomoe is kind of boring, and Nanami is cute but she spent way too much time in damsel in distress mode in season one. It was nice to see her be a bit more proactive to start the new season, though unfortunately that was in the form of her relying on a male that just so happened to not be Tomoe. This is probably coming off as too harsh for a series where my thoughts boil down to "eh, it's harmless and has its moments." It's not aimed at me, but it looks nice and Nanami, for a harem protagonist anyway, is enjoyable.

survivor

Banned
Yuji Yuna is a Hero 1

Fulfilling watchbet obligations.

Mami ready for action

This is just standard fare ordinary high school girls get super powers fight aliens planning on destroying the world or something. One would wonder why would a girl in a wheelchair be suited for humanity saving action, but no need to question the logic of magical girls anime.

It was months ago, but there's one thing I remember about Testament shortly after its adaptation was announced in AnimeGAF. And since it debuts tomorrow...

I'm still holding Zach to this. Go for Chisato.
I can't watch this for the same reason I couldn't watch Trinity Seven. The manga and LN artwork is so vastly better and lewd in all the right ways that the anime simply will not be able to live up to it in any way shape or form.

So I'm saving myself from disappointment.

~wan

Yuri Kuma Arashi 1
I think I sort of get what's going on but it definitely reminds me of Penguindrum, except going to the lewd pretty fast. It is very confusing still. Here's hoping the next episode explains what is happening a bit

Excel Saga 24

Nabeshin died for nothing you stupid sh--

ALL THIS PLOT! SPLIT PERSONALITIES! AMNESIA! Across doing shit!

Oh my!

How will Pedro's saga conclude?

Oi.

Satelite.

What the hell is this?

She is supposed to eventually sit on him, Cowgirl style, as the water from the river falls down from her county fair winning melons.

Not lay on top of him the entire time, denying me from seeing such a pleasant sight.

It was months ago, but there's one thing I remember about Testament shortly after its adaptation was announced in AnimeGAF. And since it debuts tomorrow...

I had actually completely forgotten this was getting an anime. I'll see if it's as ridiculous and lewd (I know VERY WELL it's at least the latter) as the wonderful High School DxD.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei Nine Schools Competition

Forgive me Onii-sama for I have sinned.

He actually beat the dude everyone! I am for one am shocked. The power of Onii-sama is 2strong.

So I guess now because he beat that dude the head families are all pissed off like little kids and want something done with him, good luck bitches.

Also dat thirst by the sister and every female in this series for Onii-sama.

Hattori

Banned
[YuriKuma] - 1
So the flowers are a metaphor for what exactly? xD Aside from the obvious yuri angle, the show actually looks pretty damn good. That OP is mesmerizing, and music matches the sensual nature perfectly.

Excel Saga 25

Episode 26's existence prevents this from being the end of Excel Saga.

And Pedro wins! MAYBE! Depending on what episode 26 does with him

Will start Puni Puni Poemy Lite in a bit

Thoraxes

[YuriKuma] - 1
So the flowers are a metaphor for what exactly? xD Aside from the obvious yuri angle, the show actually looks pretty damn good. That OP is mesmerizing, and music matches the sensual nature perfectly.
That's the least confusing piece of symbolism in the show lol. Real quick and dirty:

LILY White - Virginity; Purity; Majesty.

Edit: oh you were joking

Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei Nine Schools Competition

Forgive me Onii-sama for I have sinned.

He actually beat the dude everyone! I am for one am shocked. The power of Onii-sama is 2strong.

So I guess now because he beat that dude the head families are all pissed off like little kids and want something done with him, good luck bitches.

Also dat thirst by the sister and every female in this series for Onii-sama.

Have no fear.

Onii-sama forgives all his children.

YyEoNFS.jpg

Excluding the ones that mess with his sister

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! 01

They transform by yelling Love Making, fight using their Love Sticks, and their finishing attack is Love Shower. This is literally everything I never knew I wanted from a mahou shounen.

Still more subtle than Yuri Kuma.
Wow, I may have to watch this.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I saw some of thee pics for the LN on SeventhStyle. My fucking gosh. What the fuck Japan? It's fucking hentai.

Since IMS doing show, should i get ready for the crazy QUALITY in later episodes.

Clov

Watched Gauche the Cellist tonight. It's probably my favorite of the pre-Ghibli Takahata works (though Jarinko Chie comes close); it's just such a pleasant film! Gauche's interactions with the animals were fun, and it was nice seeing them help him out in ways that he didn't realize until the end. It was really great seeing him do well at the final concert, and that moment of realization at the end of it was satisfying. It didn't blow me away, but I really enjoyed watching it.

PK Gaming

Tsuritama 1

I'm watching this because of a watchbet, but it doesn't feel like an obligation because it's pretty legit so far. The introduced characters have potential, the art's great, and it's a pretty easy show to watch. I'm expecting great things from this anime.

Rainy

Banned
Idolmaster 22-25 (END)

Man this series really exceeded my expectations. A few episodes were kinda boring and lagged but the last part of the show was really good.

The OPs will forever be stuck in my head.

javac

Pretty sure that is your settings that are interfering with google search.

Maybe. It's not a big deal :p I just typed the name in without the - 01 and I got a bunch of scans leading to a crunchyroll article with what I assume to be the three main characters with their skirt flapping about for no reason whatsoever. It's just stupid is all. Indicative of the show? I wouldn't know.

Branduil

Yuri Bear Storm 1

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Ikuhara clearly still has some very interesting ideas but the execution of them may be questionable. This episode felt very In Media Res in that we were repeatedly introduced to characters, situations, and terms without any adequate context for them. The lack of characterization as well as the amount of abstract symbolism made it very difficult to actually identify with any of the characters. Contrast this with Penguindrum's first episode, which had a very strong character focus that the symbolic imagery complemented. The dialogue is also very unnatural, deliberately so, but it's another choice I'm not sure was helpful in this case. Silver Link being a not especially competent studio is also already a drag on the show.

As far as the meaning of the show itself, I can't help but feel it's related to the idea above that "bears just eat people." This shouldn't just be accepted on its face- bears do not naturally eat people, bear attacks nearly always happen because the bear feels threatened. Knowing the series is influenced by the Sankebetsu brown bear incident, I think it's important to know the common theory is that deforestation disturbed the hibernating bear and provoked its attacks. Applying that to Yurikuma, the bear attacks are provoked by an unnatural state that humans create, and the bears in turn shatter the illusion of peace humans have created. This, along with the repeated "is your love real" themes, leads me to think that the show is something of a critique of the Japanese idea of Class S relationships and their typical depiction in Japanese media. Basically Ikuhara is telling anime that all of their fake lesbians are lame and weaksauce.

Idolmaster 22-25 (END)

Man this series really exceeded my expectations. A few episodes were kinda boring and lagged but the last part of the show was really good.

The OPs will forever be stuck in my head.

Haruka's arc was definitely something I wasn't expecting out of the series. It was masterfully set up, and her introspective moments carried some of the strongest visual language the entire series had to offer. I'm glad they saved it for last.

Yuri Bear Storm 1

As far as the meaning of the show itself, I can't help but feel it's related to the idea above that "bears just eat people." This shouldn't just be accepted on its face- bears do not naturally eat people, bear attacks nearly always happen because the bear feels threatened. Knowing the series is influenced by the Sankebetsu brown bear incident, I think it's important to know the common theory is that deforestation disturbed the hibernating bear and provoked its attacks. Applying that to Yurikuma, the bear attacks are provoked by an unnatural state that humans create, and the bears in turn shatter the illusion of peace humans have created. This, along with the repeated "is your love real" themes, leads me to think that the show is something of a critique of the Japanese idea of Class S relationships and their typical depiction in Japanese media. Basically Ikuhara is telling anime that all of their fake lesbians are lame and weaksauce.

When I watched this episode, I felt the most striking line was the Judge's query to the two bears [stay invisible or eat]. This tied into the notion that 'bears have to eat people' and that people created a 'barrier that should not be able to be crossed' to prevent it.

So I came to the conclusion that bears probably represented forms of (active) sexual affinity that society is unwilling to accept, and that the barrier(and the court)tie into public opinion. Basically, the act of a bear 'choosing to eat' is like 'coming out'.

But the same-gender relationship at the beginning seemed to cast shade over this line of thinking. Why make bears represent relationships that society frowns upon when one is prominently shown off at the beginning?

I think your interpretation of the 'is your love real' theme answers what I originally thought was a contradiction.

edit: whoops, ended up being a double post

Thoraxes

Good speculation so far, and we're only one episode in!

I always enjoys Ikuhara's approach to themes regarding sexuality and it's role, and this series seems to put it at the forefront with this initial episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom