• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blusby

I'm always overwhelmed with the amount of choices there are for anime (and the amount of content here in the OP). But I know what I have liked in the past and am hoping some helpful gaffers could lead me in the right direction by listing the animes I really like.

In no particular order:
bleach
cowboy beebop
samurai champloo
attack on titan
naruto
one piece
dbz etc.
accel world
SAO
knights of sidonia
psycho pass
fairy tale
devil part timer
deathnote
gundam (and a bunch of other mech series)

I have a wide palette (I think) for anime.

Any advice would be appreciated (probably checking out fate zero next).

My main source of anime is hulu and netflix, but I'm not above getting something like crunchyroll for more.

Judging by what I see on Hulu I'd recommend (bolded for the must-sees):

-Fate/Zero
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
-Black Lagoon
-Hellsing Ultimate
-Noragami
-Gatchaman Crowds
-Bakemonogatari (and its sequels)
-Madoka Magica
-From the New World
-The Eccentric Family
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Steins;Gate
-Space Dandy
-Texhnolyze
-Eureka Seven
-My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
-Mawaru Penguindrum
-Barakamon
-Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun
-Rahxephon
-Kids on the Slope
-Waiting in the Summer

Currently airing series that are worth checking out:

-Shirobako
-Garo the animation
-Yuri Kuma Arashi
-Yatterman Night
-Death Parade

Some series listed that I haven't seen but have heard from others to be great:

-Revolutionary Girl Utena
-Haibane Renmei
-Rozen Maiden (2013)
-Patlabor
-Mushi-shi

Saudades

Well the Manga doesn't really end so much as stop.

Define "end"

Hmm? It's been a while since I read it but the manga did have a proper conclusion didn't it? Granted I think some plot went nowhere but the main conflict - the fight between the two main characters was resolved. Pity the anime will never get a season 2.

So according to a recent magazine thing, the tone of Sound! Euphonium is going to be less "easygoing daily life" and more "passionate sports drama."

Is it gonna be Whiplash the Anime?

Jex

For those getting EXCITED for Garo because of the animation, don't. Out of like 18 episodes, so far, there are probably like 2-3 episodes with what anyone can say is "good animation". Most of it is really cheap and over half the series is outsourced to South Korea. It's a fun show though!

So you're telling me to watch webms instead? Good to know.

cajunator

Banned
I think this pretty much sums up every episode of Hyōka I've seen thus far.
Code:
[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfddbHXyF1rdn4ljo1_1280.jpg[/IMG]

I have a feeling it will continue to be that way. I just hope the mysteries get better.

Animation is certainly gorgeous though. So many intricate details happening in the background. Makes me wonder how this even got a budget for 22 episodes at times.

yeah pretty much but the middle episodes are the festival arc and the show massively improves.

The mysteries, even the first mystery, are all about developing the characters. Hyouka isn't a procedural; it's a character drama.

it SHOULD be a procedural. Would have been a lot better.

not gonna Google this, begone Satan.

I have this show. Its about a bunch of girls who are soft drinks. Like upotte but the girls are grape, lemon, orange, etc

Jarmel

Banned
Death Parade-6

I did sorta like this episode but what is the point of all of this?

This whole thing seems like something the Greek gods would do for shits and giggles.

Jex

Tenshi no Tamago (Angel’s Egg) is a film directed by Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Mobile Police Patlabor) and was released in the year of 1985. This film, although not as renowned as his (Oshii’s) other works, I’d go as far as to say that it’s perhaps the most expressive and visually compelling of his portfolio and has garnered somewhat of a reputation of sorts for its stunning artwork (Yoshitaka Amano), and for containing a story that many may at first glance seem to consider non-existent....

Great review. For other people interested in reading about the film there's always this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391189&highlight=angel+egg

Clov

it SHOULD be a procedural. Would have been a lot better.

I have this show. Its about a bunch of girls who are soft drinks. Like upotte but the girls are grape, lemon, orange, etc

No way! Hyouka was great as it was. The characters developed very naturally, and I liked seeing that.

On the topic of Akikan, I remember absolutely hating it. It just made me really angry for some reason. It was just so... dumb, but not in an endearing way. More like in a "please make this stop" sort of way.

Jex

Shin Mazinger Z - 26 END

So at first I was all:

But then I was all:

WHAT THE ACTUAL SHIT JUST HAPPENED HERE.

Like, I knew the ending to this was gonna be batshit nuts but, holy shit!

How do you go from freaking 100 rapid rocket punches with all that cheerful music to...that?!?

Why oh why is there no sequel to this show? There really should be. Like, I guess I could just say that Mazinkaiser V.S. Great General of Darkness fills the gap somehow even though there's no Baron Ashura there, but come on!

It is at this moment where I now stand alongside my fellow mecha fans and join in the chanting of:

SHIN GREAT MAZINGER WHEN?!?

Now you know are pain. Imagawa is only allowed to create a mecha show once every 10 years, and his work must always end on a cliffhanger (even if it's in the middle of a show like when he stopped working on Getter Robo Armageddon!).

Assassination Classroom 05

It's a good thing these kids got a financial incentive to kill Koro Sensei, otherwise I think they'd just let the world get blown up with how they're treated on a regular basis.

Clov

It's always great to see more people watching Angel's Egg. My absolute favorite Oshii film! If only someone would release the Blu-Ray here.
Discotek, please!

Apart from that, I'd love it if more people would watch Gozensosama Banbanzai, one of Oshii's OVAs. It's... complete insanity, but it's wonderful. Really well animated in many parts, too.

Jex

Death Parade 6

This show is starting to get closer to the OP in tone.

It feels like that by switching the episodes focus from Decim to Ginti that they felt liberated to whatever they wanted to do with regards to tone. I assume for episodes focused on Decim the stories will be more serious.

Thoraxes

B9yIPq_CcAEs45j.jpg

from me to you

So I caught up with Parasyte with some of my friends after not watching any anime for a good long while. I'm seriously impressed by how awful they made Murano in this, holy crap. Manga Murano is fine!

Also the pacing is really weird. Moments of thought or talking between Migi and Shinichi where nothing else is happening are really weird and throw me off.

Mature

Hyouka - 4

The Classics club come together to find what they can about the incident with Chitanda's uncle. While the others do their best with the evidence they collected, Oreki finds himself at a crossroad between indifference and inaction. A quick glance into Chitanda's room tells Oreki how much this means to her which pushes him into masterfully piecing together the puzzle.

The execution of this episode was pretty interesting. It was a progressive unraveling of the past by reading between the lines and by looking past bias and misunderstanding. The way the visuals convey the sometimes complicated events the characters are describing is effective and needed. The show straddles a line where the script calls for inertia and it sort of puts a lock on how much can happen in a scene, but they manage to glide right past it with a lot of creative direction and the aforementioned visuals. I think its also worth noting that this show appears to have a very distinct understanding of time and it manages to use it conjunction with its script. The progress with the investigation mirrored the passing of the day and eventually culminated into the (Chitanda's)cloudy, confused downpour.

Nozaki-kun Special 5

"Hiding behind Seo, huh? So you like them bigger"

"What? They're just lumps of fat"

God damn Waka continues to be best guy. Best couple. Loved when they were all pretending what they were saying and Nozaki made Seo this ultimate hero haha. God I miss this show, I need another season like Matthew McConaughey needs to be in every movie.

Thoraxes

FYI to anyone who uses Rightstuf and pre-ordered Space Dandy (normal or LE) from there...

The Got Anime discount now works for it, so shoot them an e-mail to get it applied to your order if you haven't already. Drops the LE to ~$37.

Cross Ange 18
this show is too good
hilda keeping her in check
2726302-capture.jpg

Something happened in these 2 shows, not too sure wasnt paying attention
Juuou Mujin no Fafnir 06
Isuca 04

/XX/

Anonymoose: Nihon Art Animation Eiga Senshuu
http://anonymemoose.blogspot.com.es/2015/02/nihon-art-animation-eiga-senshuu.html

Here is the featured work's list with references to those with added English subtitles.

Four days after being near completion, they were reserving the release for this 'lover's day', huh? :)

Now available to anyone, the Nihon Art Animation Eiga Senshū represents different stages to contemplate the definitive roots and influence such authors made on the Japanese animation methodology, as seen in famous milestones like Toei Animation's early era or Mr. Tezuka's own experimental shorts... a must-see to understand from where many nowadays creators are coming from.

If anyone is uncomfortable downloading on this manner all the published animated shorts 'ripped' from a official release, take into account that it is possible to decide and select what specific batches to obtain; as for example 'pre-war period' works should definitely be in the clear to obtain by any means without restrictions, I think.

Many thanks to duckroll for his fast PM response... much appreciated, man!

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 06

Yeah, just stop. At this rate the last episodes will consist of 20 minutes of unremitting black screen.

It's funny but I think I prefer Root A's breather episodes, as poor as they are, when the alternative is a set of incoherent poorly animated action scenes like in the previous two. Here at least the scenes logically flowed into each and budget constrains weren't so visible. Though there was still plenty of talking mouths and they still managed to ruin one of the few decent comic scenes from manga ...

Deadman Wonderland 06
The funniest episode yet. This girl was just something else. Lost it at the flashback with the mother. Plus that outrageously stupid conclusion to the fight ...

Strike Witches 07
I can't believe I'm about to praise an episode about
stealing pants.

But it was a welcome reprieve from the tiresome pattern the show has followed so far and it was decently done comedy. So yeah an improvement over SW's previous efforts.

TUSR

Banned
I forgot that The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is coming out this spring.

This spring gonna be TRIGGER levels of good.

As a stand-alone piece, this may have been decent, but what Ishidate/Hanada did to continue the story from where the TV series left off feels unfulfilled/cliche. The actual movie may be decent, but I have little hope it'd be good as a continuation plot at this point. Ishidate may surprise us again with something similar to his concept of episode 9-10 in the TV series though. Not sure Hanada's the best person to be writing this as well.

The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls 6
This show has been really poor at establishing conflict. Was I supposed to do anything other than laugh at that end scene where Mio breaks down because she invited her friends to a concert with a small audience? You have a problem when a significant portion of your cast is sub-Miki tier.

Jex

Anonymoose: Nihon Art Animation Eiga Senshuu
http://anonymemoose.blogspot.com.es/2015/02/nihon-art-animation-eiga-senshuu.html

Here is the featured work's list with references to those with added English subtitles.

Four days after being near completion, they were reserving the release for this 'lover's day', huh? :)

Now available to anyone, the Nihon Art Animation Eiga Senshū represents different stages to contemplate the definitive roots and influence such authors made on the Japanese animation methodology, as seen in famous milestones like Toei Animation's early era or Mr. Tezuka's own experimental shorts... a must-see to understand from where many nowadays creators are coming from.

If anyone is uncomfortable downloading on this manner all the published animated shorts 'ripped' from a official release, take into account that it is possible to decide and select what specific batches to obtain; as for example 'pre-war period' works should definitely be in the clear to obtain by any means without restrictions, I think.

Many thanks to duckroll for his fast PM response... much appreciated, man!

Truly an invaluable resource for students of animation.

cajunator

Banned
There is a ton of variety in anime character designs. Even the marquee series have a good level of variety.

This is true. If I were to screencap all the styles it would take a hell of a long time to put it all together.
Anime is incredibly diverse.

Well....that will be my next anime collection I am going to watch next. No clue of this show so, it will be interested to see this 1st time. Should I watch this in dub or sub for this show?

I know you already started it, but either way is just fine.

Like I said earlier, the movie has its prerogative, its motivations and its messages however delving too deeply into that rabbit hole is missing the point. This is a film that requires you to capture those fleeting feelings and hold onto them. It requires you to savor those moments and to grasp tightly onto that fragile and brittle egg, protecting it from the outside world. Narrative can and is told through different methods, and just because Angel’s Egg decides not to follow the standard template for story telling doesn’t mean that a story can’t be formed from your viewing. In the end it really comes down to one question, and instead of trying to figure out just what Angel’s Egg is about, the real question is how did Angel’s Egg make you feel?

“Keep precious things inside of you, or you will lose them.”
10/10

I love this movie for some odd reason. the Angel is so moe~ too!

So according to a recent magazine thing, the tone of Sound! Euphonium is going to be less "easygoing daily life" and more "passionate sports drama."

This won't affect how I personally view it, because passionate sports dramas can still be moe. Like Bamboo Blade or Taisho Baseball Girls.

A show similar to those two is just fine! Those were excellent. Particularly Bamboo Blade, which is way better than it looks like it should be.

Def blu-ray, Cajun!

Also To-Love-Ru is nice, because of the beautiful and amazing Riko-chan <3

Riko is a cutie. You have good taste.

I'm always overwhelmed with the amount of choices there are for anime (and the amount of content here in the OP). But I know what I have liked in the past and am hoping some helpful gaffers could lead me in the right direction by listing the animes I really like.

In no particular order:
bleach
cowboy beebop
samurai champloo
attack on titan
naruto
one piece
dbz etc.
accel world
SAO
knights of sidonia
psycho pass
fairy tale
devil part timer
deathnote
gundam (and a bunch of other mech series)

I have a wide palette (I think) for anime.

Any advice would be appreciated (probably checking out fate zero next).

My main source of anime is hulu and netflix, but I'm not above getting something like crunchyroll for more.

Log Horizon is like if SAO was written by somebody competent. Its another MMO style anime. Also Fate Zero is a definite.

Jex

The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls 6
This show has been really poor at establishing conflict. Was I supposed to do anything other than laugh at that end scene where Mio breaks down because she invited her friends to a concert with a small audience? You have a problem when a significant portion of your cast is sub-Miki tier.

I don't even understand what this means but it certainly sounds like everyone is being burned!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 19:

Well then, this was one of the biggest wham episodes we have had in awhile. Good god, where to start, we get insight into the darker side of the technical exploitation of the rules as we learn that maglev train is powered by strapping down a Person of the Land and doing what I assume is horrendous things. I'll be honest they kind of lost me with the technical details but the end result is no less astounding and dangerous. Also seems to be piloted by a Person of the Land noble who is quite the bigot. Also, it seems the the train was Nyan's true focus, which makes sense, this machine is a grave threat to the grand city of Akihabara. More on that next week. The main focus this week is on The Red Night and in refreshing change from the arcs at the beginning of the season, this isn't a raid event as the implication seems to be the Wyverns are reacting to some bit of Plant Hwyaden technology. Probably that portable cathedral. Anyway, the Junior League in spite of them being quite smaller then the situation cast their resolve to fight the good fight and save the villagers as much as possible. I would say the best part of this episode was the encounter between Toyha and the Odyssey Knights as we have learned that the OK are not just berserker but people whose desperation for escape have lead them to believe that the endless cycle of death is the path to freedom why Toyha is resolved to protecting this world as it is now just as real just as alive as the old one and he was crippled. Meanwhile Izuzu has gotten out of her funk and is not set to change the very fabric of reality with a terrible interpretation of music. Seriously, could they not have gotten an actual singing voice here? Roe 2 and Midori come to vows of sisterhood and I guess Roe has joined the party and I have noticed that the disguised Nureha has kind of slinked off while nobody is looking. I am looking forward to the duel next week between Longdark and Nyan.

cajunator

Banned

I like that video.

No way! Hyouka was great as it was. The characters developed very naturally, and I liked seeing that.

On the topic of Akikan, I remember absolutely hating it. It just made me really angry for some reason. It was just so... dumb, but not in an endearing way. More like in a "please make this stop" sort of way.

It was a thoroughly mediocre show if Im honest. I couldnt help be fascinated by the premise though.

But what about Jupiter Ascending!!!!??

Great movie actually.

B9yIPq_CcAEs45j.jpg

from me to you

I love you AWESOMEBEAR

Heh. Interesting.

I am quite certain you could tolerate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom