• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoJo Stardust Crusaders 30

After decades, the ONE fight I wanted to see animated finally gets to be.

This was the fight that made me a fan of JoJo. After kind of liking but mostly forcing myself through parts 1 and 2, I went back to them after this and suddenly fell in love (mostly with part 2).

Next episode will probably be my favorite one in the entirety of SC.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 30
YD3l4nql.png
64C7V4Yl.png

eXCR89El.jpg
k1srtNOl.png

Egypt's been pretty fun so far and something of a nice return to form. Not to say the first season was bad but it felt a little perfunctory at times while now it feels like we've been inching closer to the goofyass unpredictability that made Battle Tendency so engaging ~chu

Frog-fu

Banned
I think this pretty much sums up every episode of Hyōka I've seen thus far.
Code:
[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfddbHXyF1rdn4ljo1_1280.jpg[/IMG]

I have a feeling it will continue to be that way. I just hope the mysteries get better.

Animation is certainly gorgeous though. So many intricate details happening in the background. Makes me wonder how this even got a budget for 22 episodes at times.

dan2026

Death Parade 6

I have no idea what these 'games' are supposed to prove. That when you torture people they act in strange and unpredictable ways?

I don't get this show at all.

Blusby

Never read/seen anything Berserk, but I sure wouldn't have guessed that.

There are some heavy parallels that can be drawn between the character arcs of both Irako and Griffith along with the two narratives dealing heavily with succession, ambition, pride, strength, etc.

I watched the series when Berserk was still somewhat fresh in my mind and couldn't help but see similarities between the two despite their differences in setting and scale.

Garo 18: This episode was really damn good. Not only was the duel well crafted but I also really appreciated how this arc concluded in regard to Leon's character as expected as it was. Faced with a situation similar to what vehicled his previous downfall he chose to learn from and in the end grew as a person turning from an aggressor into a protector. I'm really looking forward to see what's to come too given that we're now entering the final phase of the story with cool stuff like
German teaming up with Mendozza
and what looks to be an Emma-focused episode next.

Death Parade 6: See boys, this is a waifu!

Maedhros

I think this pretty much sums up every episode of Hyōka I've seen thus far.
Code:
[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfddbHXyF1rdn4ljo1_1280.jpg[/IMG]

I have a feeling it will continue to be that way. I just hope the mysteries get better.

Animation is certainly gorgeous though. So many intricate details happening in the background. Makes me wonder how this even got a budget for 22 episodes at times.

It doens't get better (the mysteries).

Some good character interactions later on, but this anime doesn't really have too much going for it, IMO. It doesn't help that I don't really like the main girl.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Holy shit. I just found out that Masayuki Kibe, Sega fanboy and writer of Gamecenter CX, was one of the writers on SeHa Girls. I almost want to watch the damn show now. lol

Isuca - 04

So we now have an archer, an evil mage and an unlikable male MC. I thought Fate/Stay Night was going to air again in spring. Girl if you complain about the food one more time I'll add one more ingredient to the Irish stew.

Frog-fu

Banned
It doens't get better (the mysteries).

Some good character interactions later on, but this anime doesn't really have too much going for it, IMO. It doesn't help that I don't really like the main girl.

I wish they had just stuck with the first mystery and made it much bigger. That's what intrigued me in the first place. A 45 year old cold case, how could it not? I can't think of an anime remotely similar to that.

Clov

Holy shit. I just found out that Masayuki Kibe, Sega fanboy and writer of Gamecenter CX, was one of the writers on SeHa Girls. I almost want to watch the damn show now. lol

It's worth it if you like Sega games, especially the older stuff. The Space Channel 5 episodes were fantastic.

I wish they had just stuck with the first mystery and made it much bigger. That's what intrigued me in the first place. A 45 year old cold case, how could it not? I can't think of an anime remotely similar to that.

The mysteries, even the first mystery, are all about developing the characters. Hyouka isn't a procedural; it's a character drama.

One of the benefits of doing something in animation is that you don't have to use "realistic" character designs, but can go for a more stylized approach. There's room for all kinds of designs in anime. (Except 00's eroge character designs. Those can just disappear forever.)

If there was a wide range then I'd agree but for some reason everyone has decided to go for these same-faced huge bug-eyed aliens with no noses is annoying.

Jarmel

Banned
It was beautiful looking af, I need webms pronto.

That might be the best fight sequence since Star Driver, just from an animation standpoint. From an emotional one, I probably would have to go back to Gurren Lagann. Jesus Christ.

Edit:Forgot about Fate/Stay Night on the animation side. So well there.

It was beautiful looking af, I need webms pronto.

oT5aGXs.gif

Holy...

All I knew of this show was that JAM Project OP it had. It pretty much just seemed like one of those shows that a few people here watch and becomes forgotten about.

Are the story and characters good by any chance?

It had some big bumps along the way but it turned out to be my favorite currently airing series so I'd definitely recommend picking it back up.

I'v got like 3-4 things I'm gonna pick up, but this does absolutely seem worth putting at the front of the list.

It looks soooo gorgeous. Wish I could find a place to watch it in HD. But I don't even care if the story and characters are just meh, I'll watch it purely for how beautiful it is.

If there was a wide range then I'd agree but for some reason everyone has decided to go for these same-faced huge bug-eyed aliens with no noses is annoying.

Everyone?

I pulled this collection together a couple of years ago, so it's a little outdated. But you could easily pull examples from more recent productions (I imagine Ping Pong, Kaguya, Pupipo, Shounen Hollywood, Garo, Bahamut, Death Parade and Yatterman as a potential list) to show that there remains a fair degree of variety in anime character designs.

Crocodile

There's a lot of justified shade you can throw at the anime industry but "herp derp everything is moe same face" doesn't really hold much weight if you actually take the time to look at what is being made as opposed to knee-jerking and jumping to conclusions.

It had some big bumps along the way but it turned out to be my favorite currently airing series so I'd definitely recommend picking it back up.

Yes. Not many people talk about Garo but I think it's one of the better shows to come out of last season. Don't expect every fight to look like that though.

Ok I guess I'll give it another shot. I just hope I'm not wadding through 15+ episodes of mediocrity just for the occasional good fight.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is as off-topic as possible, but I'd rather share this with a fellow AnimeGaffer, so...

Here's a Steam Star Wars: KotOR code :)

3KXRG-0RI0D-E8IED

Jarmel

Banned
I may have made a mistake watching Bahamut instead of this

And I liked Bahamut quite a bit

Garo is by far the better show. It's more inconsistent but goddamn the highs are in a completely different league. The show has a very slow burn to it, partly due to the episodic content.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I may have made a mistake watching Bahamut instead of this

And I liked Bahamut quite a bit

I feel Bahamut started much better and had a sorta consistent dropping quality overall (the animation was fine but choreography left a bit to be desired, and the story progression was alright). Garo started much lower story characters and well everything and pretty builds itself up to that moment which is literally the culmination of 18 episodes worth of character development for the MC.

Slow burn but so worth it and that's just one season we got another season this year I believe and a movie for this anime.

Crocodile

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders 30

• Given the shit these guys have been through, I don't know how their immediate reaction to anything weird isn't "this must be the work on an enemy Stand" :p
  • Also what is with this show and bathrooms and literal shit? I've probably seen more actual turds on this show than in all the animation I've seen in the past ten years
  • It would be one thing if it was the enemies splitting them up but they keep wandering alone. The buddy system - how does it work? (especially since compact cell phones weren't a thing back then)
  • I also like the pretty consistent "I haven't seen X in Y minutes. Rather than suspect they might be under attack, I'm going to sit on my ass and do nothing."
  • LOL at Avdol's 4th wall/genre savvy break
B9wreRWIIAEtImF.png

Nitpicking aside this episode was pretty funny. Collectively, the Crusaders are dumb as bricks though.

Narag

Everyone?

I pulled this collection together a couple of years ago, so it's a little outdated. But you could easily pull examples from more recent productions (I imagine Ping Pong, Kaguya, Pupipo, Shounen Hollywood, Garo, Bahamut, Death Parade and Yatterman as a potential list) to show that there remains a fair degree of variety in anime character designs.

Post made me curious so I hit up my screenshot folder. Here ya go:

~chu

Blusby

Whats the show about? All I remember from some posts here is that its sorta depressing and messed up at times.

Still, I dont have many shows to watch this season so good chance I'll check it out.

It's a simple story about a few members from an organization of knights fighting against demons. It mainly focuses on the themes of redemption, duty, revenge, family, and all the other good stuff that comprise an entertaining tale.

The series has an overarching dark tone yes, though it in my opinion it also succeeds in delivering a good helping of light-hearted, comedic scenes as well. There's one great episode where the main character's father is for the duration running throughout the city butt naked and it's awesome.

duckroll

For those getting EXCITED for Garo because of the animation, don't. Out of like 18 episodes, so far, there are probably like 2-3 episodes with what anyone can say is "good animation". Most of it is really cheap and over half the series is outsourced to South Korea. It's a fun show though!

For those getting EXCITED for Garo because of the animation, don't. Out of like 18 episodes, so far, there are probably like 2-3 episodes with what anyone can say is "good animation". Most of it is really cheap and over half the series is outsourced to South Korea. It's a fun show though!

M-my hype...

Oh well watching anyway since I had it backlogged.

Jarmel

Banned

Last two have been really well done. There's also a few prior to the current bunch so probably closer to 5 or 6.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom