• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death Parade 06

One of the most embarrassing ways to die that's for sure. I'd feel like I deserved to get thrown into the void for dying like that and how it'd look when people found my body.

Jex

Oingo Boingo aren't just characters in JoJo's Bizzare Adventure you know:

B9zyaboIgAAU6mw.jpg:large

Hunter x Hunter - 31

Nice to see someone being able to challenge Hisoka like Kastro, but I bet that arm isn't going to be permanently severed. Seems kind of silly to spill the beans on your ace in the hole, even if your opponent and future ones hasn't been able to fully figure it out yet.

Andrew J.

I'm always overwhelmed with the amount of choices there are for anime (and the amount of content here in the OP). But I know what I have liked in the past and am hoping some helpful gaffers could lead me in the right direction by listing the animes I really like.

In no particular order:
bleach
cowboy beebop
samurai champloo
attack on titan
naruto
one piece
dbz etc.
accel world
SAO
knights of sidonia
psycho pass
fairy tale
devil part timer
deathnote
gundam (and a bunch of other mech series)

I have a wide palette (I think) for anime.

Any advice would be appreciated (probably checking out fate zero next).

My main source of anime is hulu and netflix, but I'm not above getting something like crunchyroll for more.

Trigun and Outlaw Star.

Midonin

Milky Holmes TD 07

That's the closest I've gotten to Joshiraku in some time. This show's really growing on me. Having a more stable overplot is giving the jokes something to hang on, and allows for some more (mostly) earnest emotional moments. Plus this episode focused on Nero, and I've been a fan of Sora Tokui's for some time. The episode that was skipped over is airing next week, so I'll get a break then.

javac

Great review. For other people interested in reading about the film there's always this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391189&highlight=angel+egg
Thanks! :) I had a quick skim through that thread and I think I'll have fun reading through it all later today, seeing how everyone digested the film and all that. It's a very interesting film and requires a lot from its audience but I find it very rewarding :) I really love films/shows that are structured as such, so I'll be on the lookout for more and would welcome any recommendations from anybody!

It's always great to see more people watching Angel's Egg. My absolute favorite Oshii film! If only someone would release the Blu-Ray here.
Discotek, please!

Apart from that, I'd love it if more people would watch Gozensosama Banbanzai, one of Oshii's OVAs. It's... complete insanity, but it's wonderful. Really well animated in many parts, too.
I've been eying Gosenzosama Banbanzai for a while now, but couldn't find many opinions on it. That never deters me from watching something (as you'll see from some of the future things I watch and 'review'), but I guess that I just put it on the back-burner and forgot about it until you mentioned it. Will look into it :)

I love this movie for some odd reason. the Angel is so moe~ too!
Ha yeah the characters in the film look really nice and the mannerisms of said characters are really tangible and make for a film that has maybe a few lines of dialogue really engaging and interesting. She is really cute and that adds to the fragile and timid nature of her and her egg. It works really well. As a side note, I really want to know what she uses for her hair :p

Midonin

Strawberry Marshmallow Encore 01-02

The character design and art style looks different here. While the OVA was nearly flawless in transitioning from the TV show, things look rounder and puffier here. Not to the point where it's distracting, but it's noticeable. There's also a more noted turn into fantasy and daydreams that the series had been lacking so far. Starting with Miu's visit to a bureaucratic afterlife (and giving Chika a chance to whip out Excaliborg, sort of) and ending with a long fantasy sequence about the girls in middle school.
Ana Coppola Black Custom
was my favorite part. The stuff in the middle, though, was the same as ever.

The humor was a little bolder in Encore. For the series as a whole? This is one of the more pleasant shows I've come across. Crude humor, heartwarming moments, and most of all, some really strong character interaction. Even Miu called out that it eventually settled into a comfortable groove, as all series do, but that groove was fun to watch. Ana's Japanophile tendencies, Miu teasing everyone, Chika putting up with Miu teasing everyone... I liked it.

The samba-style OP for Encore was fun, and the ED was pretty melancholy, but the first OP is still my favorite.

I figure, I want my next backlog series to be something as far away from Marshmallow in tone as possible. That's why I've decided on Katanagatari.

Hunter x Hunter - 35

So that was the secret hunter exam. I'm starting to feel a bit fed up with this battle tower. Hopefully soon the gang will get together and explore. (I think they're closing in on that Yorknew date?)
Whatever floats your boat. Finally it's Gon VS Hisoka. But judging from the narrator Gon is in for a world of pain

Fairy Tail Series 2 Episode 45 - 413 Days

Dont really like the character artist this season, the Gray-sama scenes looked so bad when they should have been hot considering Gray and how he is in Juvias visions :(

Jarmel

Banned
Seriously go see Kingsman and support rated R comic book IPs. We don't get many of those as it is, not to mention ones that are as good as this.

Think I might go see it again tonight actually.

Still the GOAT AnimeGAF Valentines cards.

I really hate Imagawa cliffhangers.

That was like, Samurai Flamenco levels of escalation right there.

Congratulations on beating Dr. Hell!

Oh by the way Dr. Hell's life was actually keeping the Mycenae at bay, so by killing him you essentially killed the guardian of the gates of Hell and-

OH MY GOODNESS.

OPENING 2 OF SHIN MAZINGER Z IS CALLED "THE GUARDIAN", REFERRING TO DR. HELL'S ROLE THIS WHOLE TIME. IMAGAWAAAAAAAA.

Now you know are pain. Imagawa is only allowed to create a mecha show once every 10 years, and his work must always end on a cliffhanger (even if it's in the middle of a show like when he stopped working on Getter Robo Armageddon!).

Well, Shin Mazinger started in 2009 so...Shin Great Mazinger in 2019?

Narag

Congratulations on beating Dr. Hell!

Oh by the way Dr. Hell's life was actually keeping the Mycenae at bay, so by killing him you essentially killed the guardian of the gates of Hell and-

OH MY GOODNESS.

OPENING 2 OF SHIN MAZINGER Z IS CALLED "THE GUARDIAN", REFERRING TO DR. HELL'S ROLE THIS WHOLE TIME. IMAGAWAAAAAAAA.

See, this is wh\y I need to revisit it ~chu.

duckroll

Seriously go see Kingsman and support rated R comic book IPs. We don't get many of those as it is, not to mention ones that are as good as this.

Think I might go see it again tonight actually.

Doesn't even need to be comic book IPs. The very nature of R-rated action movies are endangered.

Hunter x Hunter - 35

So that was the secret hunter exam. I'm starting to feel a bit fed up with this battle tower. Hopefully soon the gang will get together and explore. (I think they're closing in on that Yorknew date?)

Whatever floats your boat. Finally it's Gon VS Hisoka. But judging from the narrator Gon is in for a world of pain

Soon the great stuff starts (and it'll end with the Yorknew City arc as far as I'm concerned, single great episodes aside).

You know I understand that Anime can't completely recreate a manga's art visually, but I have to question this.

Or this

Like some of the Character designs in the Anime of Tokyo Ghoul look bland as fuck compared to its counterpart. The art in the manga made them look mesmerizing and great. But in the anime Akira and Roma look less appealing and robotic.

Anyways can you guys give me a few series where the Anime's character designs look bland or crappy compared to its counterpart. Also does it have to do with the character designers themselfs in the production of the Anime or is it both the designers and the budget?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In the first one, its because hair like that would be a bitch to animate, so it's dumbed down.

Not sure what's going on in the second.

Also, pointy chins are easier to animate than round ones, since a pointy jaw is just two strokes whereas a rounded one is an indefinite number of strokes.

Jarmel

Banned
Anyways can you guys give me a few series where the Anime's character designs look bland or crappy compared to its counterpart. Also does it have to do with the character designers themselfs in the production of the Anime or is it both the designers and the budget?

It would be harder to count the number of series where the opposite is true.

It has to do with budget/production schedule issues. I think someone said something along the lines of "The best manga artist would be an average animator". Manga artists don't have to do the raw number of images an animator does.

I mean look at this:
No way in hell could a studio do something like this without the budget being through the roof.

duckroll

I'm actually a little surprised that it was rated R. It must have been the church sequence.

Wut. Every single portion of the movie is R. Humans getting limbs cut off, decapitations, headshots with blood, 'fuck' being used in every other line, etc. To make the film PG-13 it would require the majority of the scenes to be edited in one way or another.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Started and caught up on Shirobako the past several days. There are a lot of parallels to CG shot production (and even game production at times) and for pretty much every crisis in the show I can think of some sort of real life comparison that's come up in my career.

I have definitely been in Aoi's shoes before, I can still vividly remember my only real legit panic attack early in my career when I was first given responsibility for a project - the wide-awake-in-the-middle-of-the-night-can't-sleep-because-heart-is-too-fast kind. But once you get through your first major project in some sort of lead capacity, you build on it and learn how to how to better deal with stress and stay calm in the middle of chaos - or at least do a good job of appearing to be, producers have to be the stabilizing force of a project and keep things on the rails, and if you appear to be steady and in control it can help the rest of the team. That has to be backed with competence of course (ugh, Tarou).

Branduil

You know I understand that Anime can't completely recreate a manga's art visually, but I have to question this.

Or this

Like some of the Character designs in the Anime of Tokyo Ghoul look bland as fuck compared to its counterpart. The art in the manga made them look mesmerizing and great. But in the anime Akira and Roma look less appealing and robotic.

Well that's what happens when you let Studio Pierrot adapt your work.

Jarmel

Banned
Wut. Every single portion of the movie is R. Humans getting limbs cut off, decapitations, headshots with blood, 'fuck' being used in every other line, etc. To make the film PG-13 it would require the majority of the scenes to be edited in one way or another.

A lot of the action sequences are somewhat 'sanitary' in how they're filmed for example the ending of
the cabin sequence in how bloodless something like that would actually be. You know the part I'm talking about. It's sort of matter of fact-ly. The movie doesn't really linger on the aftermath.

Started and caught up on Shirobako the past several days. There are a lot of parallels to CG shot production (and even game production at times) and for pretty much every crisis in the show I can think of some sort of real life comparison that's come up in my career.

I have definitely been in Aoi's shoes before, I can still vividly remember my only real legit panic attack early in my career when I was first given responsibility for a project - the wide-awake-in-the-middle-of-the-night-can't-sleep-because-heart-is-too-fast kind. But once you get through your first major project in some sort of lead capacity, you build on it and learn how to how to better deal with stress and stay calm in the middle of chaos - or at least do a good job of appearing to be, producers have to be the stabilizing force of a project and keep things on the rails, and if you appear to be steady and in control it can help the rest of the team. That has to be backed with competence of course (ugh, Tarou).

So you were on the producer side, compared to the animator side?

Midonin

Dog Days'' 06

I can't fight worth a damn, but who wouldn't want to enter into that marriage competition? I also appreciate fight scenes that are being done for non-violent reasons, as oxymoronic as that sounds. And that final shot of Leo was something special. Not to mention finding out a little more about the country Vert came from - Noire's and Jaun's are also open for expanding the world, if the writers should so desire. Cute episode. This season's progressing at a good pace - it feels like no time has passed at all when an episode's over. And Amisuke was channeling a bit of Ryuko during that fight.

Jex

Literally years after I started to read Anime A History I've finally finished the book and I just want to share a few final pieces of information that didn't really fit under one single heading:

The Greatest Labour Dispute in the History of Anime

Okay so that title isn't entirely accurate because this particular workers strike revolves around the film studio Toho, but animators were certainly involved. For reference, this dispute took part in 1948. Quoting the aforementioned book:

It was the beginning of the third strike, which would last 195 days. Watanabe's position was that Toho was 2 billion yen in arrears, with three times as many employees as required for its current film output - precisely the kind of pressure that had led the animators to make themselves useful on production where animation might not have been totally necessary. The [worker] union chairman protested that today's Toho had been formed by the forced wartime amalgamation of several different companies, and that the studio was now required for a new purpose....

Instead, Watanabe fired 266 people in 1948, including 'communist party members, sympathisers and all 42 animators'....The remaining staff members were hardly any more fortunate, suspended in May and then informed of the company's indefinite closure in June.

By August staff at the rival studios had now occupied the buildings, and stood ready to fight over the materials and machinery left in each - in the event of studio bankruptcy the film stock, costumes, cameras and lights would all be valuable assets. In a lively section of his memoirs, Kurosawa Akira reported the Toho faction manning the barricades, led by an actor in a cowboy hat. Meanwhile, the electricians repurposed their lamps their lamps as spotlights to ward off night attacks, and the special-effects department installed wind machines at the barricaded gates, with sacks of cayenne pepper primed in the event of an enemy assault...Meanwhile someone had a large sign that read: "Culture cannot be destroyed by violence".

Watanabe fought back with impressive overkill: fifty trucks that unloaded 2,000 riot police, accompanied by an unspecified number of bulldozers, six armoured card, a unit from the US First Cavalry and, as if the situation were not surreal enough already, three reconnaissance aircraft and seven American tanks. The incident became notorious in Japanese film history, in that 'Everything came but the battleships'.

Midonin

Rolling Girls 06

I'm getting it. This is more of an anthology showing what life is like in the various cities of Japan in this new age, with Nozomi and company acting as our tour guides. The solution to the Romeo and Juliet of motorcycle racing was an interesting one - though I feel like it would mean more to me if I lived in Japan and was aware of the various prefectural stereotypes. The problems that naturally come with being an overseas fan. Onward, to the next destination!

Fbh

Gold Member
Death Parade 6
Weakest episode yet.
We hardly get to know anything about the new bartender. And the japanese Justin Bieber + Fangirl storyline was just not that fun and a bit silly compared to previous stories.

I also started watching Log Horizon as I had heard good things about it. I ingored it when it first came out asuming it was just a boring SAO ripoff. I didn't like SAO so I wasn't interested in what I belived to be an even worse show
So far (10 episodes in) it's nothing special but still pretty enjoyable. It's like SAO... but fun

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
;~;7

RIP brave animators

Probably made ninja stars out of their cells and practiced throwing them at 20 meter targets.

Jex

Continuing in the same vein:

From impressively few cells of animation...

However, as Yamamoto and Kato have persuasively demonstrated with a frame-by-frame analysis of Astro Boy, even Tezuka's claim to animate 'on threes' was merely a broad statement of intent, while actual production reduced the cell count even still further. Moreover, with the average cel count per episode of Astro Boy at a mere 2,500, we might argue that the production averaged only 1.89 cels per second. Tezuka himself claimed to have reduced the cel count on Astro Boy down to the bare bones of 1,200 cels per episode, suggestion that Yamamoto Eiichi's count of 2,500 included repeated or section cels from earlier episodes such as generic body parts, mouth flaps and cityscapes. According to an industry rumour, one episode of Astro Boy was completed with a cel count of only 1,000, a mean rate of 1.44 cels per second. However, presumably this refers to 1,000 new cels, added to material from the pre-existing image bank.

...to far too many

Zuiyo's triumph also contained the seeds of its own destruction, with animators on Heidi investing substantially more effort than was commonly expected in TV animation. Kotabe Yoichi, one of several Toei employees working on the project, reported that despite directives to shoot 'on threes' in the Mushi Pro mode, certain animators on Heidi racked up cel counts of 8,000 per episode.

Heidi's animators went on a location-scouting trip to the Swiss Alps, to help them replicate real-world environments. They also conducted painstaking research in order to achieve lasting images. Heidi's opening credits including a sequence in which Heidi and her shepherd boy Peter clasp hands and skip around in a circle. Mori Yasuji ordered his colleagues Kotabe Yoichi and Miyazaki Hayo to shoot reference footage to aid in the placement of arms and bodies, leading the two animators to re-enact the scene in the studio car park.

...The staff efforts, however, ran the studio's finances into the ground, forcing its managers to restructure.

A historical note: While Mushi Pro practised a model of extremely limited animation and Zuiyo created extremely fluid animation both studios eventually met with financial disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom