• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine Madoka is probably just ungodly expensive.

And stuff like Gurren Lagann isn't? I mean, I imagine Madoka has a better chance than Fate/Zero, anyway, what with its 47 minute first episode and all.

Like, after Kill la Kill, I don't know what could be the next big requested thing to want on Toonami other than Madoka.

Clov

Not cost, but content. Most of F/Z is composed of dialogue scenes and those shows don't do well in the ratings for Toonami. Given their problems already, including F/Z would be a stupid waste of money to backfire immediately with the hour-long first episode.

Yeah, makes sense. It doesn't seem like something that Toonami's audience would really be interested in.

Jarmel

Banned
And stuff like Gurren Lagann isn't? I mean, I imagine Madoka has a better chance than Fate/Zero, anyway, what with its 47 minute first episode and all.

Like, after Kill la Kill, I don't know what could be the next big requested thing to want on Toonami other than Madoka.

If people are requesting SAO 2, then I imagine it'll be some trash show like AO.

Thoraxes

Aniplex made a bunch of announcements today! Highlights:

Hanamonogatari Blu-Ray, coming in April
Kara no Kyoukai movie 8+OVA Blu-Ray also coming in April
Some new movie from the AnoHana creator
Zvezda relegated to DVD-only hell

Surprised at the Kara no Kyoukai announcement. Upset at no Mushishi news. I'll keep waiting.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS my Monogatatari collection can continue.

Also fucking shit Zvezda is DVD only. I would've paid the high price for BDs.

Crocodile

Top Requested Shows for Toonami in Order of Most to Least Requested (this is the most recent list before KLK was officially announced):

Sailor Moon
Kill La Kill
Sword Art Online Season II
Attack on Titan Season II
Hunter X Hunter
Akame Ga Kill

Quasar

Log Horizon 2.19 - Woah. lots of information dropped and world building. And man the Odyssey Knights make some amount of terrible tragic fucked up sense. And finally one question that always nagged at me gets kind of answered.

And now I'm left a little confused about Roe2, and what it potentially means for the whole setup of the show.

phaze

Top Requested Shows for Toonami in Order of Most to Least Requested (this is the most recent list before KLK was officially announced):

Sailor Moon
Kill La Kill
Hunter X Hunter
Akame Ga Kill

untitled-1x3xvv.png

Garo 18

Dropped it after 3 episodes and the good animation here excluded, didn't see anything to make me regret it. Horror design was better than I remembered though. The fight itself was pretty good but I do think most of the FSN stuff beats it.
Gaara kicking ass with taijutsu was superior too. /s

Dresden

Sailor Moon
Kill La Kill
Hunter X Hunter
Akame Ga Kill

For toonami's sake I hope hxh happens

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

The other entrants on the latest list were Sailor Moon, Hunter X Hunter, Attack on Titan II and Akame Ga Kill is Sentai ever got on the block.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks! :) I had a quick skim through that thread and I think I'll have fun reading through it all later today, seeing how everyone digested the film and all that. It's a very interesting film and requires a lot from its audience but I find it very rewarding :) I really love films/shows that are structured as such, so I'll be on the lookout for more and would welcome any recommendations from anybody!

I've been eying Gosenzosama Banbanzai for a while now, but couldn't find many opinions on it. That never deters me from watching something (as you'll see from some of the future things I watch and 'review'), but I guess that I just put it on the back-burner and forgot about it until you mentioned it. Will look into it :)

Ha yeah the characters in the film look really nice and the mannerisms of said characters are really tangible and make for a film that has maybe a few lines of dialogue really engaging and interesting. She is really cute and that adds to the fragile and timid nature of her and her egg. It works really well. As a side note, I really want to know what she uses for her hair :p

Angel was so devastated when that bastard broke her egg. I just wanted to hug her :(
Also creepy fish walls. What a strange movie.

Still the GOAT AnimeGAF Valentines cards.

That was like, Samurai Flamenco levels of escalation right there.

Congratulations on beating Dr. Hell!

Oh by the way Dr. Hell's life was actually keeping the Mycenae at bay, so by killing him you essentially killed the guardian of the gates of Hell and-

OH MY GOODNESS.

OPENING 2 OF SHIN MAZINGER Z IS CALLED "THE GUARDIAN", REFERRING TO DR. HELL'S ROLE THIS WHOLE TIME. IMAGAWAAAAAAAA.

Well, Shin Mazinger started in 2009 so...Shin Great Mazinger in 2019?

Ah yes those cards. I still have them on my hard drive. Particularly the Corvy one!
I laughed so hard at that one.

You know I understand that Anime can't completely recreate a manga's art visually, but I have to question this.

Or this

Like some of the Character designs in the Anime of Tokyo Ghoul look bland as fuck compared to its counterpart. The art in the manga made them look mesmerizing and great. But in the anime Akira and Roma look less appealing and robotic.

Anyways can you guys give me a few series where the Anime's character designs look bland or crappy compared to its counterpart. Also does it have to do with the character designers themselfs in the production of the Anime or is it both the designers and the budget?

As others have said, time/budget constraints lead to animation shortcuts. However some anime really does make detailed characters and must have taken forever to animate. Depends on the studio. Shaft gets criticized a lot but they put some of the most detail into their characters.

Started and caught up on Shirobako the past several days. There are a lot of parallels to CG shot production (and even game production at times) and for pretty much every crisis in the show I can think of some sort of real life comparison that's come up in my career.

I have definitely been in Aoi's shoes before, I can still vividly remember my only real legit panic attack early in my career when I was first given responsibility for a project - the wide-awake-in-the-middle-of-the-night-can't-sleep-because-heart-is-too-fast kind. But once you get through your first major project in some sort of lead capacity, you build on it and learn how to how to better deal with stress and stay calm in the middle of chaos - or at least do a good job of appearing to be, producers have to be the stabilizing force of a project and keep things on the rails, and if you appear to be steady and in control it can help the rest of the team. That has to be backed with competence of course (ugh, Tarou).

I thrive in job that put a lot of pressure. Im not sure why. Maybe my scattered brain can think well when it is stressed? I should be able to handle leading a small team of people and directing things. Dispatching is kind of like that in terms of directing a group of people but its not a single project, its quite a different kind of stress. The deadline also occurs every morning. Aoi probably enjoys the stress.

Literally years after I started to read Anime A History I've finally finished the book and I just want to share a few final pieces of information that didn't really fit under one single heading:

The Greatest Labour Dispute in the History of Anime

Okay so that title isn't entirely accurate because this particular workers strike revolves around the film studio Toho, but animators were certainly involved. For reference, this dispute took part in 1948. Quoting the aforementioned book:

This is pretty fascinating. Id still like to read this book eventually. I keep forgetting to order it.

CDiggity

Trolling Girls 06

And with that I can drop this show. It's not bad, but it is overwhelmingly "meh", which in my book is the worst thing that can happen. At least with really bad shows it runs the possibility for unintentional comedy.

This series keeps falling into the same pitfalls in multiple episodes. One, it is written in a way that I cannot feel invested in the characters, especially since the good ones are all supporting characters who eventually fall by the wayside. Two, you have this group of four that are supposed to be the story's main characters, but the story is written so they don't have much to do and thus the same stories can be told completely without them.

The biggest offence, in my opinion, is that you are six episodes in and I still do not feel it has distinguished itself as it's own thing. I see the things in this series that other shows have done, and done better (mainly Sekai Seifuku in my opinion).

This should have been a 90 minute movie about the first two episodes with ALL the budget. That would have been nice.

cajunator

Banned

Id love a spinoff series of this, like Kujibiki Unbalance.

Dog days S3 - 06

Dog days season 3 delivers ... the animation is PERFECT and the world building as strong as ever.

Not sure if it's on purpose , but that's like the best arranged mariage episode one could make on a 14th of february ..

Kudos to leo-sama for the fantastic idea , is there any doubt that she is one of the strongest ? No there is none ...

BUt i must say it again ... that animation is so good in season 3 ... now i'm convinced ... the finale is going to rock so much high i'm not sure i'll be able to stay calm.

10/10 ep

This studio had a LOT of animation practice with Nanoha. Dog Days looking as good as it does shouldnt be a surprise.

Aniplex made a bunch of announcements today! Highlights:

Hanamonogatari Blu-Ray, coming in April
Kara no Kyoukai movie 8+OVA Blu-Ray also coming in April
Some new movie from the AnoHana creator
Zvezda relegated to DVD-only hell

Surprised at the Kara no Kyoukai announcement. Upset at no Mushishi news. I'll keep waiting.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

One thing I notice scrolling through the page is that all the screenshots from Hyouka look like they are from a movie. Truly, a level of quality so great that even KyoAni cannot replicate it.

Its just a pity that KyoAni wasted their talents on an insipid idea. Why couldnt Haibane Renmei have looked that good? Something with a captivating story or idea.
That talent was utterly wasted on Hyouka.

Never mind Fate/Zero (though that would be awesome), how has Toonami not gotten Madoka Magica?

Seriously, the movies are getting dubbed too, so with all this attention it's getting in the west why hasn't Toonami gotten it?

TTGL reactions are great, but oh man their reactions to Madoka would be gold.

Madoka Magica is a superhot property and is probably crazy expensive to license.

Dennou Coil 3-4

So I'm willing to allow the given framework for why someone would have to physically dodge what amounts to a virtual attack (everything in the city is tied to a single "space" that everyone operates on with the AR goggle interface). But even if I was still having trouble with that concept I wouldn't have been able to deny how cool these last couple episodes were. Combination world building and super duper hacker battle that's personified really well with the on screen action. Loved it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It helps to treat the AR in Dennou Coil, on a basic level, as the kind of make-believe fighting kids sometimes do with each other. They're not actually firing beams from their hands, but it's more fun if everyone pretends they are.

And I think the virtual world is built up like this as well. What is the point of building a giant MMOspace that exists 1:1 with reality? No one knows. You could say it's kind of a city-wide beta, like Google Glass or Google self-driving cars.

Jex

[Stardust Crusaders] - 30

Entertaining old man action. I'm a little surprised that Avdol appears to have forgotten that he has a Stand with a significant range but I suppose he was distracted by lady legs.

[Stardust Crusaders] - 30

Entertaining old man action. I'm a little surprised that Avdol appears to have forgotten that he has a Stand with a significant range but I suppose he was distracted by lady legs.

Dat Ass makes everyone forget about their stand. Also it's Jojo so everyone gets hit with a dumb stick!

John Blade

Whoa....they is so much I can say right now in this 2 episodes and so much stuff happened which I need to stop a bit to let it sink in here. For now, it's very well done in story and character development for the character you have to follow. Man...wish this show never end...

Just found out they is a blu ray version of this show....then found out it only release in Japan only. So sad as I am actually watching the English dub and it sound pretty good from the look of it.

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 03

I keep expecting Pafu to break out the Kongou voice. Pets aren't allowed in the dorm, but an exception can be made. Cute episode, with the most notable part being the introduction of Shut, the fabulous second general. The boarding school setting is allowing for some different kinds of stories compared to the past 11 seasons, so there is that. Next week, though, looks great. Because Ninninger is debuting, and because Kirara is too. Yellow Cures are pretty great, and she looks to be no exception.

Go! Princess Precure 3

Yui for 33 eyes confirmed

Pretty much an episode to allow their pet animals to stay at the dorm through brainwashing and suggestive actions. And quite a bit of hilarity, primarily Mermaid's final attack before the finisher being one little bubble that was more effective than it should be. A step down in animation, but that was to be expected because it's not a Cure debut episode, just about fucking fairies.

But man, everyone was shocked that the new girl Haruka just waltz up to Minami like a boss. Our glasses girl who I can't remember looked like she'd be one of those girls that would bully her out of jealousy. However this is Precure!

NEXT TIME

eZfQxvH.gif

Katanagatari - 07

Fucking cheeky-mouths. Can't believe they are fine with blatant ones such as this.

Concerning the show itself: Decent so far. It's nice to have 50min+ episodes but the direction seems kinda weak. There's so, so much dialog and it's generally simply framed, so it can get kinda boring depending on the actual conversation. I think Jexhius mentioned the rather weak direction in Katanagatari (in some Digimon Adventure 3 thread) and so far I can definitely see that.

Frog-fu

Banned
Durarara!! X2 06

Great episode. I'm never going to get tired of how bizarre this show is. Every episode is just a joy to watch. I've been complaining about a lack of an OT for it, I suppose I might as well make it myself. Won't be anything fancy, but whatever.

Narag

Death Parade 5

Huh, that was pretty great as we got a better look at how things run. I can see why Jexhius brought up the shounen-style fight but it kind of felt like a function of the medium all told as Ginti is the kind of character I've seen often who gets upset at the status quo being altered and seeks normalcy via a little violence.

Decim's apparent inexperience as an arbiter is finally touched upon again with the reveal of the five year span he's been one and that has me wondering if the woman isn't there to be judged so much as to instill some lost humanity into him so he can function in his job better. I mean, everyone else (Clavis, Nona, Ginti etc.) seems normal compared to how robotic he is ~chu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom