• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Try Episode 19:

Right, so here is the advantage of having your battles build up naturally over the course of the series, you don't have to spend half an episode on a video package in order to wring out some sort of emotional resonance/ It also doesn't help that Sasuke over here could not be a more cliched rival if he tried. Also not helping is this is yet another instance of the format getting twisted to meet the story. This is a personal rivalry story being told in a team battle, what should occur does not happen so that we can some perfectly symmetrical combat and that does not solve anything.

VRMN

I think the problem is, and I'm sorry for the repetitive, reductionist answer but this is what it boils down to for me, that the
truth about Kasuga is just beyond something that can rationalized.
Especially by a (seemingly so far at least) relatively normal person like Saeki
. It doesn't help that their relationship, if it can be called that, lasted a few days at best till that truth bomb was dropped.
And they weren't even close before the start of the story. So they're still pretty much strangers to each other and there isn't/ shouldn't be emotional attachment that would drive her to the extremities she displays.

You're not wrong, but (and I'm sorry for the repetitiveness on my end) that is kind of the point. I can't say why she is that way, because I haven't gotten that far, but she clearly isn't normal. You're tied too much to her initial image. The story and part of, I assume, the point of the name, is about how seemingly small things can awaken really dark parts of ourselves. Saeki is no exception to this.

This is pure conjecture on my end. Again, I have not gotten even to the end of the anime in the manga:
I kind of suspect Saeki was never 100% disgusted by the theft and that at some level she fantasized about someone who was that obsessed with her. When Kasuga turned out to be that person, it contributed to her warped perception of the initial event. This is what leads to lines like "I was happy about it! You were just thinking about me when you did it! Guys are like that!" I don't think she was lying about that.

Fbh

Gold Member
Almost done with the first Season Of Log Horizon.

Really hating this "little gril has a crush on the main character" plot it's going into. This wasn't supposed to be like Sword Art Online =(
Please tell me they get over it in a few chapters and never mention it again.

Kansoku

Summer Wars is really good. But damn if it isn't really similar to Digimon Adventure Our War Game!. Did they share writers or something?

Tuck

Dog Days - Episode 1
Oh course they had to sneak the fucking high school trope in before we can get started. Don't really like the character designs (Everyone is a bit too young and a bit too short. I lol'd when I saw the soldiers who all looked like pre-teens).

That said, I've heard good things so I will continue to watch. Second half was pretty fun. I liked the battle scene with the announcer.

e_i

Okay, I'm caught up on all the simulcast anime now. I spent the very very cold weekend watching anime. Bring on the weekend!

Taruranto

Revolutionary Man Utena #2

l2qUND9.jpg

The hedgehog=Akio.

Jarmel

Banned
Alright so the polling for the top anime soundtracks will start on March 21, 2015. This gives people a month to review whichever OST they're interested in. The polling will run for a month ending on April 19. I will be implementing the previously discussed voting system.

One hiccup I realized in the past couple of weeks is how to deal with franchises as many movies or OVAs reuse motifs and themes from previous works in that franchise. The solution I came up with is a bit convoluted on my part as it involves grouping together votes of a work and then breaking it down further afterwards. For example if someone voted for the TTGL movies, they would go under a TTGL Franchise ranking and then it would be broken down into whoever voted for the movies compared to just the TV series. This prevents splitting up of votes and the ranks just being clogged with two or three franchises. It's simple for the voter and a pain in the ass for me.

I appreciate any help with the banner/visuals as I'm not as proficient with Photoshop as Haly is. If anyone wants to PM me any info or suggestions to go into the OP, please do.

/XX/

Nonsense! Next you'll tell me Nausicaa was actually done when they were called Topcraft!
And to keep talking about that film; Toshio Suzuki recently confirmed during the official press presentation for the film The Case of Hana & Alice that they finished the Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind animation production 4 DAYS before the premier... for a theatrical work! Knowing the odyssey for Lupin The Third: Castle of Cagliostro too makes it seem like they were in a continued stressed-state. :-D

Trying to make a name for themselves independently on this way sure impressed TOKUMA SHOTEN enough to grant them such continued backing afterwards, though.

Aside from some great action scenes I didn't like this one much. It's just a bit toothless in its character portrayals. I also started out with Fujiko, and while I didn't like that one overall, it has one of the stronger portrayals of the main four (especially Fujiko) that I've seen yet (I'm up to Fuma Conspiracy). The other would be Series 1 (the prison escape sticks out in my mind) and Mamo.

But yeah, Cagliostro is definitely more of a Miyazaki flick than a Lupin one. Maybe I'll get fonder of it as I dig into Ghibli's works.
Agreed on the bolded part, and even if I also appreciate the kind of enchantingly warming (distant but in a cool way) and redeemed hero that Mr. Miyazaki & Co. brought to this movie in homage to certain classic adventure films archetypes, Masaaki Ōsumi work refined what Monkey Punch developed for the character and his true essence in a less goofy but equally raw and caustic way. It is more exciting, crazy, less predictable, more cruel but in a fun way (like Mr. Nagai) with a certain welcomed ambivalence in how people like Zenigata act (not to the point of MP's Zenigata and his love/murder-intent bipolar attitude... although this one seemed more professional after all!) out of responsibility first and foremost but without the same obsessiveness and with a more intelligent approach, in not such a recurrently 'cookie-cutter' manner as 'Red & Pink Jackets' eras would make us believe.

And that was the intention, a differentiation, which I applaud because I like it on its own terms, but so strange when seen as a portrait coming from the franchise... although the way they humorously made Castle of Cagliostro's Lupin refer to his "previous self" didn't sit as well with me! A dumbed-down devilish persona that even was re-affirmed and further mocked at in Albatross: Wings of Death too!
Yes, yes, I know it is all a tongue-in-cheek justification and fairly reasonable towards the film's character continuity, but... >:p

/XX/

Oh, and Isao Takahata mentions something about... his next planned work? The studio still trusts him, I suppose:

Takahata has his mind set on his next work, a story about exploited girls, forced to work as nannies with infants strapped on their backs. Most lullabies in Japan were not for parents singing babies to sleep, but for such young women, crying out about their suffering, Takahata said.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/dee7197abcbd4c50a9a6afcc93d230f2

e_i

The Right Stuf has a license announcement for tomorrow.

Please, for all that's good in the world, let it be Tamayura!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"I like to make people laugh" indeed Takahata, indeed.

Aria 08

Cats must have evolved a lot since they can write letters and cook and stuff.

It's 2 shorter stories, one where President Aria runs away from home and one where he becomes a superhero. Pretty funny. Hm... And there's people living underground called Gnomes?

Midonin

KanColle 07

The show does seem to be hinting towards a fan theory. One that the Abyss girls are actually
failed versions of the fleet girls.
So of course they can intercept their signals. Akagi and Kaga have some great chemistry, and the fighting for the rest of the episode was also pretty fun. Keep being you, Kongou.

Testament 07

Action-heavy episode, so those looking for lewdness will have to wait until next week, since the episode title is "Erotic Succubus Out of Control." At least the Heroes have things set mostly straight now - even with Kurumi. The fantasy fighting aspects, while very Dragon Quest-ish, aren't too bad, and Mio's one of the cuter heroines this season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Parasyte Episode 19

Right, not much to say about the first part of the episode, a lot of reflection on the recent past mostly. Also, high scroll graduation seems to be on the horizon.
The second part, looks the human have started to take the parasite threat seriously now and have formed a special task force in order to deal with the problem with about as much subtly of a brick.

Hunter x Hunter - 58

Moving into Greed Island arc? Ahhh c'mon don't tell me Yorknew is over and it ended like this? Don't tease me with a Hisoka VS Chrollo and then do fuck all with it!

I liked the blue-balling itself but yeh, now you're done for. The great arc is over and what follows is a a complete waste in form of the Greed Island arc, and after that a bit of a pacing disaster with single great episodes here and there.

phaze

Hunter x Hunter - 58

Moving into Greed Island arc? Ahhh c'mon don't tell me Yorknew is over and it ended like this? Don't tease me with a Hisoka VS Chrollo and then do fuck all with it!

Don't worry, Hisoka will show what he's made of during CAA arc !

Parasyte 19
Parasyte 18
The ending was pretty tense and I wonder how Izumi will get out of this. Maybe Migi is sleeping and the guy in front of him will just think he's somehow different but not a parasyte.

Called it. It's rather weird that the murderer didn't sense him at the end when Migi was active.

Otherwise - zzzzzz. Investigator coming to the school for Shinichi was such a weird scene.

Great Teacher Onizuka 02

Real life lessons for job interviews. Apparently wrestling vice-principal is a fireproof way to acquiring your very own teacher position.

I liked the blue-balling itself but yeh, now you're done for. The great arc is over and what follows is a a complete waste in form of the Greed Island arc, and after that a bit of a pacing disaster with single great episodes here and there.

I wouldn't say the Greed Island arc was a total waste as some may suggest. I mean it gave a further look into Gon's personality and how in some cases he
has a screw loose.

GBF TRY 19

Watching a gundam do a Dempsey roll was well worth all the other boring stuff that happened in this episode. I expect an amazing battle full of gundam gore next episode.

Kancolle - 07
Kantai%20Collection%20-%2007.jpg

Get a room you two !!!
Godness if something else had happenned to shoukaku i would have DROPPED this anime and went to scream my rage on the internet.

But that didn't happen. Instead i got a pretty good episode.
So many yuri pairing in this anime !! SO many !!

Ps: lol at the 1 sec of the shadow of the admiral running the base ..thoughtfull , kancolle comitee !!!

Clov

So, RightStuf's announcement was that they'll be releasing "Please Teacher!" and "Please Twins!" on DVD this Summer.

Can't say I'm interested, to be honest.

Edit: I've been beaten by a minute, it seems!

Aria 09

So, it's not all Neo-Venezia on the planet then.

So, the three main characters go to visit the Legendary Great Water Fairy. Aika hopes for lots of training, but there's none of that. They do learn a lesson in the end though. And Manhome is starting to sound worse and worse :p

Hunter x Hunter - 58

Hisoka's disappointed face is one my favourite little moments in this show. The face he makes is just priceless compared to how you've seen him before.

Now now, the Greed Island arc wasn't all bad.

I mean, it had one of the best anime dodgeball matches I've seen, that and it has one of my favourite fights in the show.

Gon V.S. Genthru in a way, is one of the first REAL fights for Gon in that show. Yeah he fought that ninja during the exam, Hisoka in the heavens arena, but those were fights where he didn't necessarily have to defeat his opponent, and he was able to get away from them without doing so.

That wasn't the case against Genthru. That fight was where the risk factor was much, much greater. Gon HAD to follow the plan perfectly, otherwise Genthru would take his cards and kill him on the spot. It's one of the more tense fights in the show at that point because of that.

And the actual fight itself was just crazy. Gon doesn't show an ounce of fear against Genthru, and never loses his cool during the fight. Not even when Genthru manages to blow one of his freaking hands off! But the crazy thing about it all is how "in control" Gon is despite all that.

In a way, it actually lines up with something Genthru says in this arc. "When striking a bargain, you have to demonstrate how calm and insane you are." That's exactly what Gon is during this fight. Calm and insane, and that's what freaks out Genthru.

And when Gon successfully executes the plan and corners Genthru, man that scene was so satisfying. It makes the whole arc worth it, in my opinion.

Don't worry, Hisoka will show what he's made of during CAA arc

Oh, you!

phaze

You're not wrong, but (and I'm sorry for the repetitiveness on my end) that is kind of the point. I can't say why she is that way, because I haven't gotten that far, but she clearly isn't normal. You're tied too much to her initial image. The story and part of, I assume, the point of the name, is about how seemingly small things can awaken really dark parts of ourselves. Saeki is no exception to this.

This is pure conjecture on my end. Again, I have not gotten even to the end of the anime in the manga:
I kind of suspect Saeki was never 100% disgusted by the theft and that at some level she fantasized about someone who was that obsessed with her. When Kasuga turned out to be that person, it contributed to her warped perception of the initial event. This is what leads to lines like "I was happy about it! You were just thinking about me when you did it! Guys are like that!" I don't think she was lying about that.

I think maybe it would go easier to accept it for me, if it wasn't so abrupt.
Kasuga's descent is more gradual and broader. On her part, she accepts him directly after discovering the truth and her "dark part" is pretty much all about her incomprehensible crush.
I'm sorry, you really won't be able to make me like or "get" this part. :p

HxH spoilers- ->
Talk. He's made out of talk. All bark and no bite.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria 08

Cats must have evolved a lot since they can write letters and cook and stuff.

It's 2 shorter stories, one where President Aria runs away from home and one where he becomes a superhero. Pretty funny. Hm... And there's people living underground called Gnomes?
The Gnomes are like the opposite of the Salamanders in that they regulate the gravity to make it so that Mars is also 1G.

Space magic!

Quasar

So, RightStuf's announcement was that they'll be releasing "Please Teacher!" and "Please Twins!" on DVD this Summer.

Can't say I'm interested, to be honest.

Edit: I've been beaten by a minute, it seems!

I would (well maybe not Twins) if it was something better than dvd. But then I have no idea what the source is.

Kancolle 07

Great episode. Giving a little more insight into how the Abyssal Girls operate and how they're not simply the mindless drones they may appear to be at first glance. Shows that they have the ability to make strategies and even understand and intercept communications. Even perhaps a bit of 'humanity' considering the actions of one of them at the end of the episode which adds more fuel to the theory
that Abyssals are sunken girls that have been 'revived'.

Oh and poor Kaga. 30+ hours of repair time? SHIIIIIIIIIT

cajunator

Banned
Almost done with the first Season Of Log Horizon.

Really hating this "little gril has a crush on the main character" plot it's going into. This wasn't supposed to be like Sword Art Online =(
Please tell me they get over it in a few chapters and never mention it again.

Sometimes, but its never as stupid as in SAO.

Alright so the polling for the top anime soundtracks will start on March 21, 2015. This gives people a month to review whichever OST they're interested in. The polling will run for a month ending on April 19. I will be implementing the previously discussed voting system.

One hiccup I realized in the past couple of weeks is how to deal with franchises as many movies or OVAs reuse motifs and themes from previous works in that franchise. The solution I came up with is a bit convoluted on my part as it involves grouping together votes of a work and then breaking it down further afterwards. For example if someone voted for the TTGL movies, they would go under a TTGL Franchise ranking and then it would be broken down into whoever voted for the movies compared to just the TV series. This prevents splitting up of votes and the ranks just being clogged with two or three franchises. It's simple for the voter and a pain in the ass for me.

I appreciate any help with the banner/visuals as I'm not as proficient with Photoshop as Haly is. If anyone wants to PM me any info or suggestions to go into the OP, please do.

I will try to vote at some point. This is a neat idea.

GA 07

Ah. So that's what that's called.

Visits to 2 different art museums in this episode, a discussion about nakedness in art and finding out that appreciating modern art isn't always that easy.

What is going on with her glasses?

Rightstuf as license rescued Please Teacher and Please Twins, according to their Facebook page.

Thats kind of lame. Ive had that series on DVD for 15 years. They could have gotten so many other things. Its better than Ano Natsu though!

Hnnnng
chu~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom