• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kiru Biru 1-2:
I never knew Quentin Tarantino saved anime back in 2004.

Detective Conan 350:
Wow, I don't remember this case at all from the manga, but it's actually really good. We see the characters doing some actual detective work and trying to work out someone's identity and actions based on a pretty limited amount of information. The first half of the case is really fun to watch, especially considering that the entire episode consists of the characters sitting around at a cafe talking. Yumi also has some great moments in this episode. Normally she's the most forgotten of the Tokyo police, but this episode gives her some pretty nice moments. I loved her mocking of Kogorou when she first showed up.

Haly

Now you have to choose which one is better.

Are you a highly respectable person who thinks part 2 is better, or a chump who likes part 1?

Part 1:
Copperhead
Hospital Rape
Cottonmouth
Hanzo Hattori

Part 2:
Wedding
Sidewinder
Pai Mei
California Mountain Snake
Senior Estaban
BB
Snake Charmer

Yeah probably 2.

Mature

Detective Conan 350:
Wow, I don't remember this case at all from the manga, but it's actually really good. We see the characters doing some actual detective work and trying to work out someone's identity and actions based on a pretty limited amount of information. The first half of the case is really fun to watch, especially considering that the entire episode consists of the characters sitting around at a cafe talking. Yumi also has some great moments in this episode. Normally she's the most forgotten of the Tokyo police, but this episode gives her some pretty nice moments. I loved her mocking of Kogorou when she first showed up.
Yumi and Azusa are both side-characters I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

Yumi and Azusa are both side-characters I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

That's one reason why I like the introduction of Naeko and Shuukichi more recently. There are more characters for Yumi to interact with, and she actually has more reasons to show up in regular cases aside from occasionally trolling Takagi or helping out if they need to shut down traffic.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Cross Game 2-27

You know I really miss this type of baseball x romance show. I thought I would be tire of this formula since I been reading those types of manga since Touch. I guess whoever keep doing them know how to spice things up.

This show have such amazing OP and ED, one of the few show I never skip any of them during my 2 days marathon.

I am not looking forward on finish this show, I will be so sad when it is over. I doubt there will be anything that touch the same spot anytime soon. May be I should rewatch Touch after this.

Haly

Castle of Cagliostro:

I really like the art style used in Fujiko Mine and Jigen Daisuke's Gravestone, and those were my first real exposures to Lupin, so readjusting to classic Lupin was a bit jarring. Content-wise, Castle of Cagliostro is miles above the modern Lupin offerings. The writing is consistently witty and humorous, but it has no trouble shifting to drama when the situation calls for it. It doesn't treat the audience like illiterate children, dumping exposition all over their faces. It doesn't prostitute Fujiko, like the modern one is prostitued over and over again. It doesn't bog itself down with convoluted plots. The animation is also superb, but that is simply expected of Ghibli.

All in all I'd say this is one of the stronger movies in Ghibli's library. My only complaint is that Jigen was sort of marginalized, since I like him most out of all the main Lupin characters. On the other hand, I finally know where Jexhius' avatar is from.

Castle of Cagliostro:

I really like the art style used in Fujiko Mine and Jigen Daisuke's Gravestone, and those were my first real exposures to Lupin, so readjusting to classic Lupin was a bit jarring. Content-wise, Castle of Cagliostro is miles above the modern Lupin offerings. The writing is consistently witty and humorous, but it has no trouble shifting to drama when the situation calls for it. It doesn't treat the audience like illiterate children, dumping exposition all over their faces. It doesn't prostitute Fujiko, like the modern one is prostitued over and over again. It doesn't bog itself down with convoluted plots. The animation is also superb, but that is simply expected of Ghibli.

All in all I'd say this is one of the stronger movies in Ghibli's library. My only complaint is that Jigen was sort of marginalized, since I like him most out of all the main Lupin characters. On the other hand, I finally know where Jexhius' avatar is from.

While Hayao Miyazaki directed Castle of Cagliostro, he directed it at the studio TMS Entertainment, where all the Lupin anime have been animated. Ghibli was founded in 1985, after Cagliostro which released in 1979.

SystemBug

Hey guys, I would like your recommendations on good romance animes (with a happy ending preferably). I saw Eureka Seven (thanks to your recommendations, PS. I loved it!), and Monthly Girls Nozaki

Hey guys, I would like your recommendations on good romance animes (with a happy ending preferably). I saw Eureka Seven (thanks to your recommendations, PS. I loved it!), and Monthly Girls Nozaki

Give Toradora a watch. As far as romantic high school anime go, it's one of the best. And if romance doesn't have to be central to the plot but a nice B-plot, give a watch to Fullmetal Alchemist.

There's also Ano Natsu de Matteru (all of those delicious tears)
Kokoro Connect
Ef a Tale of Memories
Hyouka if you care about the almost romantic side-plot
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (romance and horror)
Yamato 2199 (decently big romance between main characters)

Outside of Fullmetal Alchemist and to a lesser degree Hyouka the romantic element in all of these is decently big and they're all pretty decent shows. And yeah I snuck in Hyouka in there because why not

SystemBug

Emma: A Victorian Romance is the best romance anime I've seen.

Give Toradora a watch. As far as romantic high school anime go, it's one of the best. And if romance doesn't have to be central to the plot but a nice B-plot, give a watch to Fullmetal Alchemist.

There's also Ano Natsu de Matteru
Kokoro Connect
Ef a Tale of Memories
Hyouka if you care about the almost romantic side-plot
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (romance and horror)

Outside of Fullmetal Alchemist and to a lesser degree Hyouka the romantic element in all of these is decently big and they're all pretty decent shows.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! and yes! I have seen Full Metal Brotherhood before. That stuff was good!

but man Eureka Seven. wow. it's like man, it was good. Watched it a month ago but still damn.

Haly

While Hayao Miyazaki directed Castle of Cagliostro, he directed it at the studio TMS Entertainment, where all the Lupin anime have been animated. Ghibli was founded in 1985, after Cagliostro which released in 1979.

Noted!

SystemBug

If you liked the combination of sci-fi and anime then definitely give a watch to the edit I made above (Yamato 2199). It was a favorite in AnimeGAF.

Then I will check it out! I think what really did it for me with Eureka was the slice of life nature of the show. It was a sci fi mecha show, but at the same time it really wasn't. And just how tied to relationships and love the whole show was..."Summer of Love"

Midonin

Infinite Stratos World Purge

Teasing for future events that may or may not be animated, eh? As I'd expect. I'm conflicted on Tabane. On one hand, I want to see her more - as Houki's older sister (and a Yukarin character), it feels like she should have a bigger role, but she's also morally ambiguous as hell in how she does her science. That's a perfectly good explanation for why Houki's was the only simulation to not suddenly turn into 50 Shades of Gray. Before that, they were pretty much what I'd expect from this sort of anime. Largely consensual, a bit of roleplay, but the girls do have active sex drives - and that's not a bad thing. Also some stuff going on with Chifuyu and Tatenashi and invaders, but that wasn't the part I was interested in.

Gonna watch Macross Frontier for the first time. Have high hopes.

I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Infinite Stratos World Purge

Teasing for future events that may or may not be animated, eh? As I'd expect. I'm conflicted on Tabane. On one hand, I want to see her more - as Houki's older sister (and a Yukarin character), it feels like she should have a bigger role, but she's also morally ambiguous as hell in how she does her science. That's a perfectly good explanation for why Houki's was the only simulation to not suddenly turn into 50 Shades of Gray. Before that, they were pretty much what I'd expect from this sort of anime. Largely consensual, a bit of roleplay, but the girls do have active sex drives - and that's not a bad thing. Also some stuff going on with Chifuyu and Tatenashi and invaders, but that wasn't the part I was interested in.

Was a fun special.

VRMN

Gonna watch Macross Frontier for the first time. Have high hopes.

The only part that annoyed me was the ending, honestly. The films resolve that issue and are better for it, but you come to Macross for the music and the action and Frontier delivers on both fronts. Solid series.

Randy42

I know a few people who are bored by the episodes/arcs featuring the 'young' members of Log but the actual story stuff going on in the current one right now is pretty damn important towards the world building at first glance and seems like it's going to be
the first direct conflict with Plant Hwayden

So I mean unless you just hate the characters so much you can't focus on anything else...

So uh, it was okay. They certainly ratcheted shit up real quick like what with a man being squished like Oberyn's head. But all in all it was pretty (for 2008) and the music is good and that's kinda the whole reason to watch Macross.

I know a few people who are bored by the episodes/arcs featuring the 'young' members of Log but the actual story stuff going on in the current one right now is pretty damn important towards the world building at first glance and seems like it's going to be
the first direct conflict with Plant Hwayden

So I mean unless you just hate the characters so much you can't focus on anything else...

It's not that I hate them, it's just fleshing things out bit by bit by bit. I guess you need to build it up so it makes sense, I guess I just wish it had a couple of arcs going on at once with different groups so one could be in action while the other is character developing. I haven't seen the latest episode yet, will catch it tomorrow.

Jex

Castle of Cagliostro:

Cagliostro is certainly one of Miyazaki's finer movies and it really demonstrates his skill at crafting great action set pieces. As the story is far less 'weighty' on a thematic level I find it to be one of, if not his most, re-watchable movie.

Beefeater

Banned
Castle of Cagliostro:

Aside from some great action scenes I didn't like this one much. It's just a bit toothless in its character portrayals. I also started out with Fujiko, and while I didn't like that one overall, it has one of the stronger portrayals of the main four (especially Fujiko) that I've seen yet (I'm up to Fuma Conspiracy). The other would be Series 1 (the prison escape sticks out in my mind) and Mamo.

But yeah, Cagliostro is definitely more of a Miyazaki flick than a Lupin one. Maybe I'll get fonder of it as I dig into Ghibli's works.

Thoraxes

Don't know. I really only buy from Amazon and Right Stuf.

Right Stuf has the Premium Edition for $59.99
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/P=XDQHsbRlm3ahWO52/browse/item/104959/4/0/0

There is a 2nd Season. The Anime Classic Bluray (includes the OVA also) is also coming out in May.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/P=XDQHsbRlm3ahWO52/browse/item/104958/4/0/0

SOLD.

ABOUT DAMN TIME.

I also see some Puchimas DVDs up there.

And a SAVE bluray edition of Michiko to Hatchin for $24.

Oreshura Episodes 4-6

I am burning fighting fighter! Masuzu's Imouto is interesting. Himeka is adorable, and love the name. Chiwa still fighting strong! Kaoru has to be a girl...

and now Love joins next episode!

I stopped watching it like a month ago, probably gonna wait until its finished then marathon it.

Yes, the episode after Shiroe and everyone gets wiped bored me to tears. usually I like all the heavy dialog but with blondie at the helm I couldn't even make it through the episode. Absolutely loved Season 1, but Season 2 so far is not impressing. Will probably wait to marathon it all again later, might skip some though.

phaze

If 50 Shades of Gray managed to become super-popular...

I don't even want to know !

Not to make too much of a focus on it, but that
Saeki accepted those things when not many people would
is part of the point. She's at least a little
possessive and her disgust, to whatever degree it existed, was mixed with her resentment of Nakamura
. She spent basically all of the last third
in denial about (and rationalizing of) what Kasuga did and whether he was a "pervert."
Remember the scene with Nakamura in the bathroom or outside Kasuga's house. This is what Kasuga couldn't handle.

I think the problem is, and I'm sorry for the repetitive, reductionist answer but this is what it boils down to for me, that the
truth about Kasuga is just beyond something that can rationalized.
Especially by a (seemingly so far at least) relatively normal person like Saeki
. It doesn't help that their relationship, if it can be called that, lasted a few days at best till that truth bomb was dropped.
And they weren't even close before the start of the story. So they're still pretty much strangers to each other and there isn't/ shouldn't be emotional attachment that would drive her to the extremities she displays.

Great Teacher Onizuka 01
001312bjugd.png
001316onue6.png
001323r6u7s.png
Boy, seeing the episode being 48 minute long made my blood run cold for a moment. Fortunately it's only for the opening one.

I confess to not really having a clue about what to expect of GTO. My only previous contact with it was through some webm depicting a brawl in a bar or a restaurant from Sakugabooru. So far Great Teacher Onizuka seems to follow the adventures of the titular character, a self acclaimed pervert with a second degree black belt, as he strives to become a high school teacher (and to find himself a 16 year old bride.). Given his past as a biker gang member that might not be the most obvious career choice but alas his former activities certainly paid off handily here. The attempt of his new students to blackmail him with the help of incriminating photos was beaten off through a small dose of tough, biker love that helped them see the error of their ways. The rest of the episode dealt mainly with the issues of his former seducer and her family issues. I think my favourite part was when he, quite literally, went down to her home and tore down the wall separating her parents.

All in all I enjoyed it quite a bit. Main protagonist is likeable and his various reaction faces are hilarious. I imagine he will settle in another school soon ? Or is it him jumping from one to another in every few episodes ?

cajunator

Banned
Don't know. I really only buy from Amazon and Right Stuf.

Right Stuf has the Premium Edition for $59.99
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/P=XDQHsbRlm3ahWO52/browse/item/104959/4/0/0

There is a 2nd Season. The Anime Classic Bluray (includes the OVA also) is also coming out in May.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/P=XDQHsbRlm3ahWO52/browse/item/104958/4/0/0

Thats not a bad price really.

cajun changed his avatar to narag's

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what

Its mine now! :3

Tsuritama 01

That OP is pretty catchy.

It is,and the show is just as enjoyable and energetic.
chu~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom