• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that the f̶i̶l̶l̶e̶r̶ tfu anime original material was actually the strongest part of the show. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 07

Someone finally reacts appropriately to the "I want to protect my friends" bullshit.

Underwhelming episode but I really liked the Hinami-centric ED. After a weak previous showing, Ishida really put a shift in here.

It's pretty sad to see that the Ending art and the music itself conveys far more emotions and a better story than the anime.

It also seems that the original draft by Ishida was longer than the manga. So the final product (Root A) we got is because of Studio Pierrot. They pretty much cut things in order to fit it in 12 episodes.

Oh well I'll just enjoy it for what it is.

GA 09

rp0MBek.jpg

About time they got a robot :p

Everybody fights against bad weather and chicken lords, we don't get to see Noda's sister and Kyouju pulls all kinds of stuff out of her jacket.

Midonin

Cinderella Girls 07

It wasn't wrong of Mio to have hope in the first place, and I never thought she was ungrateful. It just ties into what the episode of Hayate I watched last night said - building up expectations can lead to bigger disappointments... but that doesn't mean you shouldn't hope at all. I also like that the Producer, even if he looks like Kuzuki from F/SN, is ultimately concerned with smiles above all else. There's the heart of a kind, dorky guy underneath that exterior, and while I don't think he'll ever be the same as the producer from the first series, he too, is moving forward. Rainy episodes like this aren't the easiest to watch or rewatch, but they do provide something that all entertainment ultimately seeks to provide.

Catharsis.

So, when's a Ranko episode coming up?

Beefeater

Banned
Snow White with the Red Hair

Staff:
Director: Masahiro Ando (Sword of the Stranger)
Series Composition: Deko Akao (Noragami)
Character Design: Kumiko Takahashi (Ouran High School Host Club)
Music: Michiru Oshima (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Animation Production: BONES

Cast:
Snow White: Saori Hayami
Zen: Ryota Osaka

Summer 2015

Manga synopsis:
Shirayuki is a young woman born with unique apple-red hair. After catching word about her hair, Prince Raji sends orders for her to become his concubine. With nowhere else to go, Shirayuki cuts her hair and escapes to a neighboring country. While traversing through the forests, she meets a young man, Zen, who helps her after she boldly cures his wounds. He soon, however, becomes poisoned by an apple meant for Shirayuki. What will happen to Shirayuki? What is Zen’s true character? A refreshing fantasy story between an optimistic heroine and a prince who constantly stays on her watch.
Why is 2015 so packed with interesting anime? I have 17 on my radar, and I'm pretty choosey.

What's your flop forecast of the year, guys? Mine would be Sinbad and Ninja Slayer. It's a shame, they both looked so promising at first. Rolling Girls if we count currently airing stuff.

Snow White with the Red Hair

Staff:
Director: Masahiro Ando (Sword of the Stranger)
Series Composition: Deko Akao (Noragami)
Character Design: Kumiko Takahashi (Ouran High School Host Club)
Music: Michiru Oshima (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Animation Production: BONES

Cast:
Snow White: Saori Hayami
Zen: Ryota Osaka

Summer 2015

Manga synopsis:
Shirayuki is a young woman born with unique apple-red hair. After catching word about her hair, Prince Raji sends orders for her to become his concubine. With nowhere else to go, Shirayuki cuts her hair and escapes to a neighboring country. While traversing through the forests, she meets a young man, Zen, who helps her after she boldly cures his wounds. He soon, however, becomes poisoned by an apple meant for Shirayuki. What will happen to Shirayuki? What is Zen’s true character? A refreshing fantasy story between an optimistic heroine and a prince who constantly stays on her watch.

Sounds interesting!

I do like me some optimistic, upbeat, protagonists!

What a waste of time Captain Earth is..

I saw like, the transformation clip for the robot in one of GaoGaiKingTheGreat's mecha AMVs and it looked so awesome it almost made me want to check out the series.

Then I remembered the impressions of it here. Was that show not even a MOTW?

Then I remembered the impressions of it here. Was that show not even a MOTW?
It was a monster of the week at a certain point but the stakes were so high you knew exactly how every fight would go. So that completely killed any tense or suspense there was not to mention the characters were entirely unlikable and unbelievable so I had no reason to stick around for the whole series.

Theonik

It was a monster of the week at a certain point but the stakes were so high you knew exactly how every fight would go. So that completely killed any tense or suspense there was not to mention the characters were entirely unlikable and unbelievable so I had no reason to stick around for the whole series.
MOTW shows have predictable outcomes in pretty much any iteration of the concept regardless of stakes anyway. That's the whole formula.

MOTW shows have predictable outcomes in pretty much any iteration of the concept regardless of stakes anyway. That's the whole formula.
Yeah that is true.

Eh, I think its just I probably dislike the MOTW format in and of itself and the stakes that Captain Earth presented made me dislike the show even more. A pity too because the start was so promising.

Aria 10

Looks like one of those days you just want to go back to sleep and not get up... Cute nightcap though :p

Akari makes friends with a bug and there's a hot spring visit. A flooded basement as a hot spring? That seems unique.

Ah, well that's usually the shtick of MOTW shows. Still, the final payoff that is the last few episodes of the show have to really shine in order to make sitting through all that worth it.

Case in point: GaoGaiGar, which had a ton of payoff in its FINAL OVA. That and that main show had essentially two halves. One consisting of the Zonder enemies and the other consisting of the Primeval enemies.

One thing I especially liked about GaoGaiGar was that there was a sense of progress as the MOTW episodes went on. The enemies tried different tactics, and you get shown that the finishing super move is slowly weakening the main character's body and they need to find a replacement.

That and the show's got that super catchy theme song!

Midonin

Garo -Seal of Flames- 19

So that's what Ema's been building up to. I always like flying monsters, and that action had some nice emotional punch to it.

Village

I got a free month of crunchy roll,
I am currently watching jojo

Could you recommend me things you all like.

Yes I know of the front page, a lot of the stuff i saw didn't seem that interesting

PK Gaming

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun #1

It's a pretty good start! The opening, the jokes, and the gags were all quite good. I haven't really read or watched too many standard shoujo works, so some of the subversiveness may be lost on me, but even so I still like the humor. I'll definitely keep watching.

Sabagebu #1

I wouldn't have considered it, but combining guns and cute girls works well. I particularly enjoyed the narrator jokes. Once again, I feel like some of what's going on is lost on me, but despite that I like it.

Good recommendations Gaf!

Nice combo

Watching Sabagebu! and Nozaki-kun was like the ultimate summer anime combo for me. So glad I got to watch them back to back.

phaze

I got a free month of crunchy roll,
I am currently watching jojo

Could you recommend me things you all like.

Yes I know of the front page, a lot of the stuff i saw didn't seem that interesting

That's a steep task !

Fate/Zero
Gurren Lagann
Madoka Magica
Ping Pong
Kyousougiga

are things on Crunchy that are in general, pretty well regarded. Fate and Gurren are probably the most accessible.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Assassination Classroom Episode 6:

I do have to say that the principal has enormous balls to keep things in his own idiom in spite of the unique set of circumstances surrounding the End Class of this year.

Jex

[Yu Yu Hakusho] - 47

I've spoken about this before, but the shadowy figure known as "Shinbo" who you may think of as a director at studio SHAFT hasn't actually directed an episode of an anime in years. While numerous directors at SHAFT are said to practice his 'style' is that even correct? What does the work of the 'real' Shinbo look like?

Well, this episode certainly answers those questions:

A number of things stand out from these striking images, the first of which is probably the extremely powerful colour pallet he employees, which appears to be one of his signature trademarks. You'll also notice chiarscuro shading (e.g. shading with an extreme contrast), unusual camera perspectives (inside the mouth of a plant, a POV of someone smashing their head into a wall), canted/unusual camera angles (including one that's completely upside-down), unusual camera perspectives e.g. extreme close-ups, and really abstract design work.

Suffice to say, the so called 'SHAFT' directors only emulate a muted shadow of the true Shinbo's directorial style.

Garo - 19

Good to see Ema again and to have an episode centered around her and her previous life. I feel like this could've been a two part episode - the conclusion felt rather abrupt to me. And while I can definitely feel for her, it wasn't as strong as it could've been.
Kinda unique with the aerial combat, which was cool but felt sort of strange. Once again the designs are pretty wicked and it is perhaps one of my favorite things about Garo. Overall I think this episode was good, it kept me distracted from Mendoza blue balls so that's an indicator.
This second part of Garo has been on a roll, I don't think I can remember one bad or mediocre episode so far of the top of my head, it's all been either solid or great really.

Your Lie In April 18

Even during what might be the best episode of the show, the awful humor has to ruin the mood and tone. Even so, when this is focused on actual performances it's enjoyable. Miss shiny shiny taking a backseat was the best thing to happen.

Definitely up there for probably 2nd or 1st best episode of the show after the climax of the mom plotline episode.

I really want a Takeshi Arima performance. Nagi is best femchar of the show.

Jex

[Yu Yu Hakusho] - 58

So it seems like episode 47 was just Shinbo warming up before he got round to delivering his main performance in this episode. I can say, with no hint of hyperbole, that this was one of the best looking episodes of any anime I have ever seen. Everything that was present in Shinbo's earlier episodes has been ratched up and he even pulls out completely new techniques which I've really seen employed in anime.

Once again, the extreme colouring, the and the contrast between all the visual tones are back and even more extenuated than ever:

Shinbo's colour work is really a sight to behold. He regularly uses a very limited number of colours in one shot (e.g. just a blue, red and a black) to maximise the contrast in each image:

Shinbo radically alters the look of characters that we're already faimilair with via this technique:

The animation director for this episode, Atsushi Wakabayashi, completely ditches the notion of adhering rigidly to the character designs so the characters bend and stretch as he sees fit in a manner which may call to mind the infamous Naurto fight with the stretchy designs:

The power of the spiritual battle depicted in this episode literally warps the world in this episode and a number of shots emphasise just how crazy the world has become. In the below example our perspective of the circular stadium is challenged as we see the walls curve and behind into the distance when we know they should remain regular:

Shinbo's attention to detail on backgrounds really shines this episode with lots of detailed background destruction, background animation and in general very high detail background work even in shots that only linger for less than second. In addition, note how the next shots, like many others in this episode, give a tangible depth to the frame:

One thing not obvious from these images is how heavily Shinbo uses a strobing light effect to put the viewers on edge and leave them uncomfortable:

One of Shinbo's biggest influences is the work of Osamu Dezaki. In episode 47 of YYH he even employed a classic 'triple take' reaction scene, a typical Dezakian sequence. Classic Dezaki-esque imagery is found in many scenes of this episode, but that imagery is filtered through Shinbo's artistic vision to create familiar yet entirely unique imagery such as classic shocked reaction faces:

I've mentioned previously how Shinbo uses unusual perspectives and lots of heavy internal framing (e.g. characters are framed in shots either by literal frames such as doorways or objects which have the same effect). The shot below demonstrated both of these traits in a single image, reinforcing the utter dominance of one person over another:

Finally, Shibo even plays around with aspect ratio in this episode. In the below two-shot we see the frame go from a normal aspect ration for a TV series (for context, Yu Yu Hakusho was shot in 4:3), to what's clearly a movie aspect ratio e.g. about 2.39:1. The particular event that this character is remembering is so important to him that his memory literally portrays it like an action movie, making it feel far grander and more important than it would had it stayed in 4:3.

This wasn't really a cohesive review or discussion of this episode and for that I apologise, but I hope that's give you some taste of how Shinbo at his best directs anime. I strongly advise that everyone watch this episode of Yu Yu Hakusho. I wouldn't say you need to see the rest of the series for context as its just a cool fight.

Speaking of the cool fight, I didn't really get much time to talk about the animation but here's a fairly neat representation of how the episode looked in motion:

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/5caf56e0c6c92f4005902f3bfcdc878d.webm

Midonin

Isuca 05

This show has a higher body count than the key visual led me to believe. The title makes more sense now, and while the tonal gap between the romcom elements and the monster hunting elements is still on the large side, it's still holding together into something that's at the very least a curio.

Your Lie In April 18

Even during what might be the best episode of the show, the awful humor has to ruin the mood and tone. Even so, when this is focused on actual performances it's enjoyable. Miss shiny shiny taking a backseat was the best thing to happen.

Yeah, not sure why they even tried bothering with slaptstick humor in this show. It's been nothing but a detriment.

FluxWaveZ

Death Parade - 07

That was a nice episode, as another focusing more on the arbiters and other characters than any game. The explanation behind Decim's "hobby" was actually pretty cool, and successfully gives a wildly different meaning to it from when you're first exposed to his doll collection (from creepy to heartfelt). Also makes me look at the ED differently.

Heh, and as I thought,
that girl from the previous episode is sticking around as Ginti's new assistant. I think it seems he's awakening to some emotions by Decim having done the same with no-name, and he gained an interest in the girl because she was unlike other humans he had encountered.
Seems like next episode will be a particularly special game, so I'm looking forward to it.

Mr.Jeff

So if Shinbo's merely a name that's attached to most Shaft stuff these days but he doesn't actually direct at all (as I recall people saying), is that all he does? Or does he get his hands dirty occasionally still?

Assassination Classroom Episode 6 - Test Time

Test was fantastic to see animated. I always love when they do these visuals scenes that he did in the manga and adds motion to it. The dinosaur looked great as well as the questions flowing across the screen, then Maehara and Isogai standing triumphantly.

Karma-kun faces always are the best, especially when he sticks his tongue out.
tumblr_nk31wiYAMi1t0tnhlo1_250.gif

Midonin

Fafnir 07

Could've done without the minute and a half recap at the start of the episode. That felt like stalling for time. The action scenes were alright, and the stuff with Mitsuki is at least interesting. Really wondering what's up with that dragon that keeps talking to Yuu, but I'm not expecting something like that to be answered in one cour.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shirobako 19
Too good! This is too good!
So, Hiraoka is the type of guy who very enthusiastic when he first joining anime industry, and got his dream shattered when he see the horrible reality of anime industry. Damn bro..
Time travel (?) andAndes Chucky blizzard scene make me teared up as well.
And lol at that episode director. A hermit? What is this, a martial art story or something!?

Dat sourface.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 31

Man, all I gotta say is I'm so glad this got a full adaptation because of parts like this.
I'm sure DTL will love this episode.

Next episode and a half (I think) should be great.

/XX/

So if Shinbo's merely a name that's attached to most Shaft stuff these days but he doesn't actually direct at all (as I recall people saying), is that all he does? Or does he get his hands dirty occasionally still?
Overseeing, and supposedly not much more (episodes credits confirm it):

animapple-tore: [MB] Important Quote/Words/Interviews of Shaft staffs said:
Shinbo (asked how does he discuss with the direction staffs of shaft): After checking conti, if I just say "You know what I mean?' and give it to them, they know what they should do.
http://animapple.blogspot.com.es/2011/02/mb-important-quotewordsinterviews-of.html

phaze

Great Teacher Onizuka 03
The reaction faces in this show are pretty great.

GTO accustoms himself to his new cozy abode in the storage room has his sleep interrupted by underwear thief, illegal coitus and a suicidal attempt. All in the good night's work. And his new delinquent class issues a pretty kinky declaration of war.

Boogiepop Phantom 02
This show has a more dreary palette of colours than even Texhnolyze or Ergo Proxy. This episode focus on a different character which I imagine will continue to be the case in future. Pretty similar idea as in the Hitagi arc of Bake but here with spiders, where shielding yourself from regrets and bad memories means also parting with the cherished ones. The titular phantom showed up yet again at the end of the episode, to crank up the mindfuck levels even more.

Death Parade 07

Another great episode. The explanation for Decim's hobby was really good. This series is pretty good at world building, and it seems there will be an overarching plot.

That old man seems to be bad news, but I don't know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom