• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blusby

Garo 19: Really cool action in this episode and Emma is best girl so I was engaged throughout. I have to say though the scene at the very end
felt rushed and forced, I mean I can understand Emma's part since she's like drunk af but Leon lost his waifu literally 2 episodes ago and this ain't right.
Anyways the second cour continues to deliver, really good stuff.

Jex

Shinbo's work on Yu Yu Hakusho 58 is pretty reminiscent of Dezaki's works, particularly his more stylish outings such as The Professional. Here's some shots from the movie that demonstrate what I mean, both in terms of direction and colour use:

moregolgo6_zps6fc5d6ealu98.png
moregolgo13_zps6f18714nur7.png

moregolgo1_zps22bc2c4rtsqp.png
moregolgo2_zps9375402kssh0.png

moregolgo11_zps858278m8s71.png
moregolgo16_zps751031rjskf.png

And let's not forget Space Adventure Cobra either:

^Wait you're trying to tell me Shinbo is a real person? Next you'll be saying Suda 51 is real.

Parasyte 19

Didn't have time to watch this Wednesday. Some of the stuff being changed from the manga I'm not too fond of, but I still think this is a mostly good adaptation.

I'm still kind of excited about this final arc though because it was very good in the manga.

phaze

Stardust Crusaders 31

One of the better and funnier SC duels. And as obvious as that denouement was in hindsight, I didn't see it coming.

Though I wish the instances where they forget about their Stands at the writer's convenience were a bit rarer.

Midonin

Katanagatari 06

That's twice now the narrator has mentioned something coming up, but never in a way that distracts from the story. The details of the thing are kept vague enough, as well as what it means when it comes. Konayuki's cute, but this episode, at this time of year? It's too dang cold outside, getting it in my anime just reinforces that. At this rate, the Maniwani will be finished with long before the series is. The way Shichika and Togame are growing closer together is intriguing, and the mental puzzles of the sword duels are fun to watch.

Isuca 05

This show has a higher body count than the key visual led me to believe. The title makes more sense now, and while the tonal gap between the romcom elements and the monster hunting elements is still on the large side, it's still holding together into something that's at the very least a curio.

You gave me hope..i'm about to start episode 2 ...

javac

Great Teacher Onizuka 03

Boogiepop Phantom 02

Fuck, GTO and Boogiepop at the same time?! Two amazing shows, both in my top 5 :D Glad you're watching Boogiepop and I look forward to reading your impressions on them :)

A pic of the UK release of Royal Space Force on Blu-ray, going to pass as I own the Bandai Visual version. Out on the 30th March.

Garo 19

Ie6Ofsx.jpg

Loads of it. EVERYWHERE.

Nice to finally get an episode dedicated to Ema and her reasons for why she continues to be an Alchemist.
That ending scene was certainly not expected though. I completely thought Leon would flake out since the girl he loved just died, the man Ema loved just died and there never seemed to ever be a hint of anything between the two. But I guess it works when you really wanna let off some steam and whoever said sex had to be with someone you deeply and truly love?

Theonik

A pic of the UK release of Royal Space Force on Blu-ray, going to pass as I own the Bandai Visual version. Out on the 30th March.
Yeah it was selling for $30 for a long time so I already have the Bandai release which so far appears better.

Quasar

So with funi spending up big this season, and starting to broadcast dub most things I'm kind of wondering what the future holds. CR left with niche titles and rights to countries Funi doesn't care about? Does the week to week audience even care about broadcast dubs? Is that more just a way to get content to netflix, hulu and toonami faster?

Esp curious given funi shows aren't legally available anywhere in the UK as funi sits on the rights.

javac

Yeah it was selling for $30 for a long time so I already have the Bandai release which so far appears better.

Yeah I actually prefer the white keep cases that came with the Bandai release as apposed to digipaks overall, the booklet is the same here too and the Bandai release is region free too, so I agree with you. Still, nice that it's coming out in the UK :)

Crocodile

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Episode 31

Joesph was amazing in this episode. Ergo this episode was a 10/10, A+ episode.

I feel like Avdol at least should have been able to take care of Mariah pretty easily. If Roy Mustang was around, I feel he would have roasted her in a second. For having pyrokinetic powers, Avdol seems weaker than a lot of "flame users" in fiction. Or maybe its just the writing not letting him do his thing?

Though I wish the instances where they forget about their Stands at the writer's convenience were a bit rarer.

I definitely agree with this.

Death Parade 7

Dat character development! Dat world building! Dat overarching plot!

What exactly are arbiters? Like Angels? They aren't human but they clearly need to eat, sleep, etc. Also LOL at Decim being the one
"with emotions"

Theonik

Yeah I actually prefer the white keep cases that came with the Bandai release as apposed to digipaks overall, the booklet is the same here too and the Bandai release is region free too, so I agree with you. Still, nice that it's coming out in the UK :)
Yes, tbh I don't really like Anime Limited's packaging, it's better than many digipacks but it is still not all that appealing.
The Bandai release was superb.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 7

El DoFUCKINrado! Like holy shit I wouldn't have believed this to be hilarious. My God is Miyano Mamoru an amazing voice actor, the way he conveys Tsukiyama's character is just brilliant.

Anyways everything else was good. Touka's and Kaneki's interaction was nicely done, mind you it wasn't as great as the manga but still good. But yeah Kaneki really needed that beating. I really love the way they gave development for Hinami's character. The rest of the scenes with Eto, Shinohara, and Suzuya were also good. Anyways things seem to be heating up.

The ending song and art was brilliant this episode.

javac

Yes, tbh I don't really like Anime Limited's packaging, it's better than many digipacks but it is still not all that appealing.
The Bandai release was superb.

Yeah I think digipaks are okay, especially when done well but overall I prefer Blu-ray amaray/keep cases. A lot of the Anime Limited digipaks have really janky and weird disc eject mechanisms, like you have to push the disc down on the Patema Inverted Ultimate Edition to get it out. Why can't I just pull it out :(

Anime Limited overall seem to be really open to criticisms however and I've been talking to the people in charge there, so no doubt my voice has been heard,
along with me begging that they bring Gunbuster out on Blu-ray lol.

Theonik

Yeah I think digipaks are okay, especially when done well but overall I prefer Blu-ray amaray/keep cases. A lot of the Anime Limited digipaks have really janky and have weird disc eject mechanisms, like you have to push the disc down on the Patema Inverted Ultimate Edition to get it out. Why can't I just pull it out :(

Anime Limited overall seem to be really open to criticisms however and I've been talking to the people in charge there, so no doubt my voice has been heard,
along with me begging that they bring Gunbuster out on Blu-ray lol.
I prefer the pushdown release tbh. But like you said Amaray is the only ray for me.

javac

I prefer the pushdown release tbh. But like you said Amaray is the only ray for me.

Hmm, do you by chance own the Patema Inverted UE? The release mechanism is really weird, at first I was pulling on the disc (gently of course!), but literally gave up and came back to it later lmao, I'm pretty useless no doubt, but the way the disc comes out is really weird. You have to push the top of the disc towards the bottom edge of the digipak, weird stuff. I especially don't want to be pushing and pulling on a piece of what is literally card since I feel like I'll bend it.

Bah, it's weird getting so worked up over packaging, but when you spend a decent amount of money on something, the packaging is important. Most of the high end Japanese releases are just amarays in a sturdy box, and I prefer it! Just give me a black or white amaray with some nice artwork and a great show and call it a day.
That's more like it :) Looks beautiful on my shelf, unlike the Gurren Lagann Anime Limited set :(

Haikyuu 24

Now that's what you call a hype match. All the emotions spilling out onto the floor. But the best part of the episode was the whole experience of
Karusuno losing. The direction, with the use of music and sound, was quite good. It captured that burning angst you feel when you've worked really hard for something and yet still don't get it. The teacher's little speech to Kageyama and Hinata was particularly well-done. "If you remain on your hands and knees, that will prove that you are weak." Indeed.
Good stuff.

Theonik

Hmm, do you by chance own the Patema Inverted UE? The release mechanism is really weird, at first I was pulling on the disc (gently of course!), but literally gave up and came back to it later lmao, I'm pretty useless no doubt, but the way the disc comes out is really weird. You have to push the top of the disc towards the bottom edge of the digipak, weird stuff. I especially don't want to be pushing and pulling on a piece of what is literally card since I feel like I'll bend it.

Bah, it's weird getting so worked up over packaging, but when you spend a decent amount of money on something, the packaging is important. Most of the high end Japanese releases are just amarays in a sturdy box, and I prefer it! Just give me a black or white amaray with some nice artwork and a great show and call it a day.
That's more like it :) Looks beautiful on my shelf, unlike the Gurren Lagann Anime Limited set :(
I do but it was sitting at my Uncle's and I will be re-united with it next Friday!
And yes Japanese Amaray releases are usually drop dead gorgeous I wish they just gave us that in a sturdy paper case like Anime Limited does. Maybe they could drop the shitty branding too. Looks really weird.

Dog and Scissors episode 1

I'd been meaning to watch this for a long time, but because of video games and internet forums, and work and other things like that. I don't get enough of a chance to watch more.

So I finally watched it.

But it was...
Well, someone died on the first episode in a horrible violent way. Kirihime is abusive towards him. She doesn't talk about doing lewd things very much... she talks about doing dangerous violent things to him. And Harumi is always making fun of her breasts, which I don't like. I'm happy that there are more female characters who are adults and aren't curvy. But I'm a little disappointed by their personalities..

This anime is kind of bothering me so far. :<
And I'm kind of disappointed...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
[Yu Yu Hakusho] - 58

So it seems like episode 47 was just Shinbo warming up before he got round to delivering his main performance in this episode. I can say, with no hint of hyperbole, that this was one of the best looking episodes of any anime I have ever seen. Everything that was present in Shinbo's earlier episodes has been ratched up and he even pulls out completely new techniques which I've really seen employed in anime.

Once again, the extreme colouring, the and the contrast between all the visual tones are back and even more extenuated than ever:

Shinbo's colour work is really a sight to behold. He regularly uses a very limited number of colours in one shot (e.g. just a blue, red and a black) to maximise the contrast in each image:

Shinbo radically alters the look of characters that we're already faimilair with via this technique:

The animation director for this episode, Atsushi Wakabayashi, completely ditches the notion of adhering rigidly to the character designs so the characters bend and stretch as he sees fit in a manner which may call to mind the infamous Naurto fight with the stretchy designs:

The power of the spiritual battle depicted in this episode literally warps the world in this episode and a number of shots emphasise just how crazy the world has become. In the below example our perspective of the circular stadium is challenged as we see the walls curve and behind into the distance when we know they should remain regular:

Shinbo's attention to detail on backgrounds really shines this episode with lots of detailed background destruction, background animation and in general very high detail background work even in shots that only linger for less than second. In addition, note how the next shots, like many others in this episode, give a tangible depth to the frame:

One thing not obvious from these images is how heavily Shinbo uses a strobing light effect to put the viewers on edge and leave them uncomfortable:

One of Shinbo's biggest influences is the work of Osamu Dezaki. In episode 47 of YYH he even employed a classic 'triple take' reaction scene, a typical Dezakian sequence. Classic Dezaki-esque imagery is found in many scenes of this episode, but that imagery is filtered through Shinbo's artistic vision to create familiar yet entirely unique imagery such as classic shocked reaction faces:

I've mentioned previously how Shinbo uses unusual perspectives and lots of heavy internal framing (e.g. characters are framed in shots either by literal frames such as doorways or objects which have the same effect). The shot below demonstrated both of these traits in a single image, reinforcing the utter dominance of one person over another:

Finally, Shibo even plays around with aspect ratio in this episode. In the below two-shot we see the frame go from a normal aspect ration for a TV series (for context, Yu Yu Hakusho was shot in 4:3), to what's clearly a movie aspect ratio e.g. about 2.39:1. The particular event that this character is remembering is so important to him that his memory literally portrays it like an action movie, making it feel far grander and more important than it would had it stayed in 4:3.

This wasn't really a cohesive review or discussion of this episode and for that I apologise, but I hope that's give you some taste of how Shinbo at his best directs anime. I strongly advise that everyone watch this episode of Yu Yu Hakusho. I wouldn't say you need to see the rest of the series for context as its just a cool fight.

Speaking of the cool fight, I didn't really get much time to talk about the animation but here's a fairly neat representation of how the episode looked in motion:

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/5caf56e0c6c92f4005902f3bfcdc878d.webm

Fucking damn. Bless your soul Jexhius. You have my eternal love.

Dog and Scissors episode 1

This anime is kind of bothering me so far. :<
And I'm kind of disappointed...

Yeah this show isn't for you. Fortunately, I've got some recommendations of shows that you might enjoy!

Acchi Kochi: Don't know much about this, but I've heard it's super sweet.

Celestial Method: Kind of a guilty pleasure here, as the writing isn't all that good, but it's got a really nice atmosphere and the environments are very well done. Also it has Noel, which I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Ef: A tale of memories: A VN adaptation that I surprisingly found myself enjoying quite a bit, particularly because I found one of the romance stories in it to be super heartwarming.

So yeah, if you want something more suited to your liking, try one of those three.

Haikyuu 25

Good cool-down episode, with a more reflective tone before leading into hype for the upcoming spring tournament at the end. Which I guess I'll get to see this year! (Wonder if it's finished in the manga yet... probably not.) Glad the third-years are staying on, because it'd be sad to have them gone before the point where they absolutely have to be. They're likable characters, as pretty much everyone is at this point. (Manager is still a non-entity though, unfortunately. Didn't even realize she was a third-year until this episode.) The team dynamics are definitely what makes this work, in addition to the overall production polish of course. Hopefully the second season can retain what made this one so successful.

Acchi Kochi: Don't know much about this, but I've heard it's super sweet.

Celestial Method: Kind of a guilty pleasure here, as the writing isn't all that good, but it's got a really nice atmosphere and the environments are very well done. Also it has Noel, which I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Ef: A tale of memories: A VN adaptation that I surprisingly found myself enjoying quite a bit, particularly because I found one of the romance stories in it to be super heartwarming.
Oh, well thank you for the recommendations! &#10084;

Crocodile

Whoa, when did you start YYH?

Hope you've been enjoying one of the premiere shounen series! Too bad the arcs after the Dark Tournament aren't as hot.

Why do people hate on Chapter Black? I get that Three Kings kind of had an aburpt ending that rubbed people the wrong way (also Kuwabara gets sidelined) but what don't people like about Chapter Black? The
Yusuke is part demon
reveal?

Why do people hate on Chapter Black? I get that Three Kings kind of had an aburpt ending that rubbed people the wrong way (also Kuwabara gets sidelined) but what don't people like about Chapter Black? The
Yusuke is part demon
reveal?

I have no problem with Chapter Black. It's just the Dark Tournament is pretty much the origin of my love of tournament arcs, which has become a semi-important part of the genre. Kind of hard for anything to follow, especially when Toguro was such a good villain.

Crocodile

I have no problem with Chapter Black. It's just the Dark Tournament is pretty much the origin of my love of tournament arcs, which has become a semi-important part of the genre. Kind of hard for anything to follow, especially when Toguro was such a good villain.

Ah ok. I dunno, I feel like I run into a lot of "YYH sucked after the Dark Tournament arc" opinions and I can never figure out their origin. I will agree that the Dark Tournament in YYH is still probably the best tournament arc in a Shonen I've ever seen. Though considering how old it is, that's kind of sad :/

Tuck

Dog Days Episode 2
I saw that crotch shot, fuck it all.

Pretty good besides. Main character doesn't really seem like a character so far though and he is somehow automatically amazing at this combat, but the action and animation is good.

Oh great, more real-world scenes. God damn it.

EDIT: Oh and he totally by accident grabbed her boob. Totally by accident.

[Yu Yu Hakusho] - 58

Yeah I think i'm gonna go ahead and watch the entire series now.

While the Dark Tournament is one of the best tournaments I can think of, personally I think the Sensui arc is a much better overall arc. Sensui is a better antagonist than Toguro, and I think the general arc is a lot more memorable (I feel the same for the last arc, too, although I get why a lot of people aren't fond of that one, given how different it is0.

Futurecard Buddyfight Episode 58 (engDub)

Everyone always thinks Tets cant fight but I have faith in him. He's my favorite one on team Balle Du Soleil.

I wonder if I missed something for why Sofia isnt fighting with Darkness Dragonworld but Legend World.

Also Baks should have stayed in cosplay.

Tuck

Man Dog Days would actually be so much more enjoyable without the fan service.

I mean its still alright, issues aside. But damn it all, fan service brings it down significantly in my book.

Edited for clarity.

Fate Kaleid 2Wei Special -1,2,3

Those special were actually quite good featuring some classic 2wei comedy
Fate-kaleid%20liner%20Prisma_Illya%202wei%21%20-%2002%20-%20Special.jpg

Not the right person for the job ...
Episode 1 & 2 featured a bra sub plot , a intresting way for our heroine to push back her boundaries.

Episode 3 was a nice case of misunderstanding and character develloppement from both illya and kuro relationship to the 2 maids. It was fine.

With regards to what Shinbo does these days, he's mainly an educator and coordinator. Which, to be honest, has given anime one of it's few modern "strong house styles" that have saved more than a few adaptations of weaker material over the years. Far fewer people would give a shit about something like Nisekoi if it had been adapted in a more conventional example. Continuing on the nise train, Nisemonogatari is absolutely weaker in terms of source material quality than Bake, but because it's able to lean on it's undiminished visual style, comedic pacing and simply strong direction it's nowhere near the trainwreck it should have been. Though that's kind of down to SHAFT basically acting as the editor Niso deserves half the time.

cajunator

Banned
Looks like Jarmel stuck his neck in The Order threads for too long.

:(
That game aint even WORTH going on about. Its just a terrible overblown "experience".

Fino did this in Yuusibu. She was really adorable though.
Wish I could find that pic.

some people questioned against mods, and then mods closed the thread.
Football thread was absolutely filled with some of the nicest, funniest people on GAF and some small minority ruined it for the rest of us.

Really succks :(

That does suck. NFLGaf is always trying to toe the line but I think they are pretty aware of how other threads have gone and try to keep down low if possible.

I just finished Steins;Gate and man, that was AMAZING! I can't remember last time when I was so addicted to a show! That was a second anime that I watched (previous one was Durarara, pretty enjoyable) and I'm almost afraid to start watching something else, because I won't like it as much as S;G...I'm thinking about Another, Ghost Hound or Death Parade look interesting!

Edit:Also heard that Death Note gets mediocre in second half, so I probably won't bother with this.

Steins Gate is really really great and I loved how it ends. I know what you mean about being addicted. I loved those characters so much didnt want to leave that world.

Death Note actuallly has a decent second half after you know what happens. Change was not expected but I think it worked out. It kept the viewer on edge because it really meant nothing was to be taken for granted. Made the show hit harder that way.

chu~

Death Parade 07

More incite into Quindecim's structure, as well as some potential foreshadowing. All the people doing the judging are just dummies and have never experienced humanity for themselves. I don't know why you would put people that don't know human emotions to judge people based on their most negative emotions, but whatev. Humans are apparently dropping like flies on Earth. This as mentioned in a previous episode, which must mean it'll serve some future purpose in the main plot. It looks like Ginti's got his own pet human as well now. It totally glossed over me that Mayu is actually part of the intro, so yeah she'll probably be sticking around. I wonder what happened to the idol she was fangirling on tho.

I've never seen Dog & Scissors but the feeling I'm getting is that he feels your statement is akin to: "This Strawberry Shortcake would be so good if it didn't have all these strawberries and cake in it" :p

well i think you're confused.

Especially about Dog days and dog and scissors ..

since they're like 2 different shows.

[Yu Yu Hakusho] - 58

So it seems like episode 47 was just Shinbo warming up before he got round to delivering his main performance in this episode. I can say, with no hint of hyperbole, that this was one of the best looking episodes of any anime I have ever seen. Everything that was present in Shinbo's earlier episodes has been ratched up and he even pulls out completely new techniques which I've really seen employed in anime.

Once again, the extreme colouring, the and the contrast between all the visual tones are back and even more extenuated than ever:

Shinbo's colour work is really a sight to behold. He regularly uses a very limited number of colours in one shot (e.g. just a blue, red and a black) to maximise the contrast in each image:

Shinbo radically alters the look of characters that we're already faimilair with via this technique:

The animation director for this episode, Atsushi Wakabayashi, completely ditches the notion of adhering rigidly to the character designs so the characters bend and stretch as he sees fit in a manner which may call to mind the infamous Naurto fight with the stretchy designs:

The power of the spiritual battle depicted in this episode literally warps the world in this episode and a number of shots emphasise just how crazy the world has become. In the below example our perspective of the circular stadium is challenged as we see the walls curve and behind into the distance when we know they should remain regular:

Shinbo's attention to detail on backgrounds really shines this episode with lots of detailed background destruction, background animation and in general very high detail background work even in shots that only linger for less than second. In addition, note how the next shots, like many others in this episode, give a tangible depth to the frame:

One thing not obvious from these images is how heavily Shinbo uses a strobing light effect to put the viewers on edge and leave them uncomfortable:

One of Shinbo's biggest influences is the work of Osamu Dezaki. In episode 47 of YYH he even employed a classic 'triple take' reaction scene, a typical Dezakian sequence. Classic Dezaki-esque imagery is found in many scenes of this episode, but that imagery is filtered through Shinbo's artistic vision to create familiar yet entirely unique imagery such as classic shocked reaction faces:

I've mentioned previously how Shinbo uses unusual perspectives and lots of heavy internal framing (e.g. characters are framed in shots either by literal frames such as doorways or objects which have the same effect). The shot below demonstrated both of these traits in a single image, reinforcing the utter dominance of one person over another:

Finally, Shibo even plays around with aspect ratio in this episode. In the below two-shot we see the frame go from a normal aspect ration for a TV series (for context, Yu Yu Hakusho was shot in 4:3), to what's clearly a movie aspect ratio e.g. about 2.39:1. The particular event that this character is remembering is so important to him that his memory literally portrays it like an action movie, making it feel far grander and more important than it would had it stayed in 4:3.

This wasn't really a cohesive review or discussion of this episode and for that I apologise, but I hope that's give you some taste of how Shinbo at his best directs anime. I strongly advise that everyone watch this episode of Yu Yu Hakusho. I wouldn't say you need to see the rest of the series for context as its just a cool fight.

Speaking of the cool fight, I didn't really get much time to talk about the animation but here's a fairly neat representation of how the episode looked in motion:

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/5caf56e0c6c92f4005902f3bfcdc878d.webm

I can certainly say that this was an episode that I remember fondly. That and one of the episodes in the Chapter Black arc.

Also, people should watch Yu Yu Hakusho period.

It's good shit.

And I liked Chapter Black for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom