• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CWmrXYk.jpg
jHvtirU.jpg

Shit is starting to happen the episode.

Celty is still cute as ever.

VRMN

Yuru Yuri Nachuyachumi

Season three of Yuru Yuri being announced should be a great thing. But if this is any indication of what that will be, that occasion of joy is now one of trepidation. It really shouldn't be. But this hour-long OVA was just...not...funny. It looked great, the acting was there, but the general direction had absolutely no sense of comic timing. I laughed once in the entire hour. ONCE. Akari was actually written as the main character, for chrissakes!

It was pretty harmless, in that it was a slice of life that had a handful of mildly amusing moments and a decent number of adorable moments, but as a Yuru Yuri follow up, it's awful. They had no real sense of why the show was funny in the first place and as such were in no position to keep the ball rolling. No one felt out of character, but it was like they were afraid of being too mean to any of the characters. So you get almost no Akarin Abuse, you get almost no Sakurako/Himawari bickering (they're downright pleasant to each other for the bulk of it), you get almost no Kyouko pranking anyone...it's just not Yuru Yuri. And that sucks, because these people who made this are doing season three as well.

Jarmel

Banned
This doesn't explain anything! Who made this? Murata? Fanwork? Why? Etc.

It's almost certainly fanwork although I'm sure the creator probably is professional.

That Silver Fang cut was definitely done by someone with a shitload of experience.

Nanatsu no Taizai - 07

I watched the first episode back in autumn when this started airing and I dropped it on the first episode. I don't usually drop shows after one episode, but this just didn't click with me. I stumbled upon a youtube clip and read a few positive impressions, so I decided to give it another chance beyond the first episode.

It started to click and so far I have been enjoying this adventure. I think the fantasy medieval world setting and to some extent the lore of the universe is interesting. Some stops on their journey introduces temporarily characters with their own special circumstances and creates a smaller story within, which in interaction with the main cast makes both parties grow. Perhaps something to the like of Garo. Up until this point there's also been plenty of action which was a pleasant surprise to me. Some of which I think was neatly done, such as the Lightning Spear, or a part of the Ruin fight.

The characters is something of a hit and miss for me so far. Miss like the talking Pig who I only find annoying despite the attempts to be humorous. However there hasn't been enough time dedicated to most of them and I don't even think all of the main cast has even been introduced yet. There are glimpses of something deeper within some of the characters. Like Elizabeth, the glorified booth babe and pretty much dead weight, takes the step to do shit and starts risking her lives for others. And perhaps my favorite so far, Ban, who at first sight is the carefree bad boy but are showing signs of having a warmer and gentler side.

The issues I have with this show are minor, but one thing that sticks out to me is the fanservice. Now I usually don't mind that. Hell for most parts I welcome it with open arms. Outfits and designs is something I'm fine with, like Diane (god bless giantess) and Elizabeths one leg.
But when you go out of your way to grope tittays, lift skirts for panty watch or shove your head up the crotch out of the blue even I am starting to get tired. Luckily most of it was in the start, and I haven't seen much of it lately.

tl:dr;
it's pretty fun and enjoyable to watch

It's almost certainly fanwork although I'm sure the creator probably is professional.

That Silver Fang cut was definitely done by someone with a shitload of experience.

I would be scared if someone with little experience was able to pull of that SF cut. The only thing the OP is missing is the kid with the Butt-Chin, but he would probably be in the background of the Crabman fight.

NeonZ

So he's still killing people. The context to not using the Satellite Cannon doesn't make sense when you're still going into combat scenarios where you're still going to end up killing someone.

He realizes that he has to use the Satellite Cannon and does return to using it afterwards though. The show mentions his hesitation but confronts him with the reality that he has to use the weapon.

Also Garrod was about to fire the Cannon at the enemy fleet in Estard but when he's clearly about to die in the initial battle in the space arc, he never thinks of using it.

I think you're forgetting an important point. The Satellite Cannon in the show (since all the reflector satellites were destroyed during the war) can only be used when there's a direct line of sight to the moon base. Cloud 9 is located in the opposite side and so he couldn't use it there. Note the absurdly long range from where he fires to destroy the colony laser. They pretty much show on screen him setting up at the max range possible for the Satellite Cannon, and even so it was still far enough that the colony laser was invisible to the naked eye from his position.

Most of the time, there just was no moon at all so he couldn't use the Satellite Cannon even if he wanted. There are very few times with a moon out where he didn't use the SC and those were addressed directly (like the one time fighting in the middle of a city).

Garrod gets bailed out by almost every thing I can possibly think of. Even near the end, he still gets bailed out. The G-Falcon literally comes out of nowhere to save his ass in his first space fight. There were so many times where he clearly should have died and plot armor saved him. My point is that he should have been coming up with tricks and strategies to counter people instead of getting into so many fights and needing to get bailed. The space arc is a clear point in that Garrod was an idiot and went into enemy territory with no plan whatsoever in case he was caught or even how to escape.

But he does come out with tricks and strategies. In the space arc itself we get him firing into vents to bypass armor, something usually completely ignored. Yes, he still gets saved by luck quite a few times though, especially in that last arc. The later episodes of the space arc suffer heavily from stock footage though, likely budget cuts due to the show being canceled, so the battles there are rather bland.

Before those final few episodes, almost every battle involved figuring out some trick, like using beam weapons at point blank range to bypass water penalty, throwing the beam sword while the Rasveyt advanced, the combined attack against the Britova, figuring out the movement pattern of the Balient teams, etc. Garrod even attempts to use a beam weapon at point blank range to bypass the Gable's Anti-Beam Field, although it doesn't work unlike in almost any other Gundam series.

Shirobako - 18-19

Catching up a bit and this show just doesn't let me down. It's rather absurd how many different characters are continuously introduced even at this stage, yet it manages to let me empathize with most of them easily.

Really glad this is selling so well.

Quasar

I envy people who can enjoy romantic melodrama. I cannot. I wish I could transfer my love for telenovelas into anime but I cannot.

I'm the reverse. Cannot accept it in live action, but in anime and manga I love it. Probably one of the major parts of why I like these mediums. Which explains why romance/romantic comedy is such a big part of my MAL. Meanwhile they are mostly non existent in my live action / western novels consumption history. Its weird. Well I have dabbled in paranormal romance fiction, so that's not completely true.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Birdy the Mighty DECODE 1-5:
This is really good got damn.

Love the body sharing dynamic and the contrast between Senkawa and Birdy.

Dat action thoooooo.

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 06

I like the new shots in the transformation sequence, but this week was like 40% exposition dump. Worth it to hear Nelhellena as LadyDevimon, and for some really nice teamwork from the girls. Finding out that there was a previous generation of Princess Cures is something I wasn't expecting. Hope we find out more about them later in the show. Nonon as Miss Shamour is also interesting - wonder when she's going to pull out her human form that we saw in the opening credits. While mostly expository, it set the stage for a fun show to come. Haruharu gets no respect.

Is that cat fairy Nonon
Yes. That actually is Nonon's VA.

Puruzi

Banned
Go! Princess Precure 05

I like the new shots in the transformation sequence, but this week was like 40% exposition dump. Worth it to hear Nelhellena as LadyDevimon, and for some really nice teamwork from the girls. Finding out that there was a previous generation of Princess Cures is something I wasn't expecting. Hope we find out more about them later in the show. Nonon as Miss Shamour is also interesting - wonder when she's going to pull out her human form that we saw in the opening credits. While mostly expository, it set the stage for a fun show to come. Haruharu gets no respect.

Yes. That actually is Nonon's VA.

I knew there was a reason I loved her voice.

GrandHusk

Dark Cat

I remember talking cats, lightsabers, penis monsters, awful voices and a teacher trying to rape one of her students.

10/10
Would watch
never
again

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuru Yuri Nachuyachumi:

Right, having watched this recently, I am in agreement with those who just found this OVA off key for some reason save like the beginning part which was actually amusing. I think the problem was this was too long and hit WAY too hard on the slice of life side of things resulting in too much boring mush.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh dear. I feel as if my joke review has given people the wrong impression when going in and clouded their judgement.

IMAS CG 08

Ranko is an annoying chuuni fuck but also cute at the same time? I need help cracking this code.
Still great how they don't subtitle the songs despite all the build up being toward them. Yup. I'm sure whatever Anastasia is saying in the subtitles is just random Russian and not correct too.

Death Parade 09

That was tense as fuck. Decim looked legit shook, maybe the guy can show emotions.

Aldnoah Zero episode whatever

Well, we finally made it. We're in Soap Opera tier now. Once you get a scene where a princess is in disguise as another princess, the same princess, and pulls a gun on her. Not to even get into the love square that's going on between a childhood friend and his worst enemy.

Also she was in a wheelchair. FUCKING PRINCESSES IN WHEELCHAIRS I SWEAR TO GOD

Log Horizon 2 22

Vampire Women from the Moon sounds like both the name and the subject of a 70s sexploitation movie.

Guysss, One Punch Man anime confirmed! https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-07/one-punch-man-manga-gets-tv-anime/.85713

Cast, staff, and PV to be revealed at AnimeJapan on the 21st!

Oh no. Now that it's here I can't believe it will be anything but terrible. It has a chance to be Toei, since Murata did work on Majin Bone before. So I guess it will look like ONE and not OPM.
I think the Prison School anime has a better chance of matching the manga then an OPM one.

Edit: Oh Sunrise? Might be cool I guess, but keeping my hopes low. They really need to get the perfect voice actor for Saitama though.

Haly

iHpZJMOGBH42O.png

AS EXPECTED OF COLLEGE GRADUATES

Attend college and you too could become an intergalactic furry terrorist!

VRMN

Oh dear. I feel as if my joke review has given people the wrong impression when going in and clouded their judgement.

It was harsher than I would have been, but it was boring and unfunny. If I didn't like the characters enough that I'm kind of okay just watching them in non-comedic situations, I probably would have outright hated it. As it is, I was just completely underwhelmed. Like, "I waited how long for this?"

e_i

Daisuki's app for the ipad is great looking, but complete and utter shit otherwise. Advertising, no resume, tapping the wrong point on the screen pulls up some kind of shit in Safari.

Go! Princess Precure 6

As Shamour has revealed that she was Nonon (KLK) in her past life, Kirara shows off yet another talent she has, decantering at such a height. Which is what I usually do too.

We finally see the design of our "big bad", which gives me a bit of Sailor Moon vibes because of the lock. As stated earlier, this was one big exposition dump, something about Grand Princesses, and the fact that Past life Cure Mermaid has better hair.

More importantly, we see two things from this episode and this preview.

First dude being Kanata, a prince that Haruka met as a kid. And the other kid is a childhood "friend", who bullied Haruka. It was fun while it lasted. Although it may suggest that Kanata may not appear as often as we'd thought, so there's a bit of hope here.

I guess on the flip side, if there is something Toei really wants to do to change things up, it is to not have MotW. Lessen their apperances. At this point (actually a lot earlier), MotW pretty much break up the flow of the story, and makes it too small to feel complete. This has been quite problematic since Doki (or just HapCha), as it feels like there's not enough to feel invested in a particular episode. Given that this was an info dump, it at least felt more coherent than other episodes, but quite frankly, I don't think that should be restricted to plot episodes.

Granted, like Puff's episode worked out fine for her at least.

Pri Para 6-8

RANK UP!

The show explores other characters through the show. We learn about Phoenix Wright and Edgeworth giving birth to Mirelle, and the battle to have her be an Idol Prosecutor or Idol Defense Attorney. Everyone feels like some form of extremist.

Also giving me the greatest segment in Pri Para's CG, which sadly, I only have a shitty GIF of, so no post.

Sophie is getting close to being exposed, which is a good thing. Meaning that we'll be over her arc soon, which apparently is the next 3 episodes.

And HEY! REMEMBER LALA'S ORIGINAL FRIEND NAO? Yeah, so did they. And she was a major shit in this episode. FROM JEALOUSY. I hope she disappears from this show even though she realized she was being a shit. She's not an idol anyway.

Aikatsu 103-105

I don't have much Sumire pics. That being said, she could be my least favorite of the three. But she's definitely fashionable. Maybe it's because of how she was in regards to seeing how much of a superhuman Ichigo was. So I might feel a bit hard on Sumire.

But Hinaki. Oh boy, it's like she's trying to fill the hole that Kaede left, actively pursuing Akari because she's in love with Akari and how Akari is practically in love with Ichigo. I mean, she even asked for a Hoshimiya Ichigo crepe. That makes the crepe picture lewder than it should be.

Speaking of lewd, I didn't think something this was ever going to be mentioned.
Nevermind the fact that it's the first time the main star actually won the Pon Pon Crepe (sasuga Akari)

But given how drama free Aikatsu tends to be, dramatic moments seem a bit more... cartoony, given Hinaki's situation.
She fell in a puddle and became Wetknee Houston
It's a reminder that Aikatsu is primarily a feel good show. We have pretty rhythm for high octane drama

Jarmel

Banned
Parasyte-21

I would say the direction in this episode was barely adequate. There were multiple times through this episode where I thought the execution was lacking in that a shift of camera perspective would have done wonders for the tension of the scene. For example here:
The camerawork is really flat in parts of this sequence and some of the previous hallway bits. They could have used the commander's perspective more as a way of demonstrating agility instead of showing a face of the commander reacting when Gotou jumped to the wall.
Like in this sequence, the camera isn't focusing either on escape routes or the shields. It's not bad in that I can generally tell what's going on but there isn't any sort of pressure due to say proximity. Another bit was this:
In that a first person camera perspective could have given a better portrayal of Shinichi's freakout and showed that he wasn't really thinking. Even a proper fisheye lens would have helped dramatically.

JoeFu

Banned
Why is there hate for the Yuru Yuri OVA? It was really cute and relaxing with some comedy sprinkled in. Pretty much what I expected. Fun stuff.

The intro with the amazing Engrish was freaking awesome too.

KanameYuuki

Just finished Kotoura-san, you guys were totally right it got quite generic after the second episode, still it was quite enjoyable
I love every character but idk about Moritani she felt so out of place, I wish Haruka's mother had more screen time, final episode closed everything but it wasn't anything special.

Is Saint Seiya Omega worth watching or should I just start with KanColle, Parasyte or Sengoku Collection?

Jarmel

Banned
He realizes that he has to use the Satellite Cannon and does return to using it afterwards though. The show mentions his hesitation but confronts him with the reality that he has to use the weapon.

The Satellite Cannon was obviously supposed to be some metaphor for nuke usage or whatever but the part of the problem with the show is that they don't portray it in a bad light. You could argue that Jamil accidentally firing it set off the Colony Drops but any sort of weapon would work and it was somewhat of an accident on his part. In fact I thought the show did a good job of the end as portraying it as a tool. Garrod's aversion to using the Satellite Cannon is really only justified in the terms of the show due to Tiffa's mental backlash (which was again highly inconsistent in that she went straight into active warzones but was for the most part fine).
I think you're forgetting an important point. The Satellite Cannon in the show (since all the reflector satellites were destroyed during the war) can only be used when there's a direct line of sight to the moon base. Cloud 9 is located in the opposite side and so he couldn't use it there. Note the absurdly long range from where he fires to destroy the colony laser. They pretty much show on screen him setting up at the max range possible for the Satellite Cannon, and even so it was still far enough that the colony laser was invisible to the naked eye from his position.

Most of the time, there just was no moon at all so he couldn't use the Satellite Cannon even if he wanted. There are very few times with a moon out where he didn't use the SC and those were addressed directly (like the one time fighting in the middle of a city).

Yea I forgot about Cloud 9's position and I'll chalk him not using it in the Rebellion vs Satyricon due to how fast the battle was over. That said, the Freeden never really tried to implement the Satellite Cannon into any of their strategies. For example when they were attacking the island where the Double X is stored, using the Satellite Cannon is never brought up even when the Double X starts to use its own.

But he does come out with tricks and strategies. In the space arc itself we get him firing into vents to bypass armor, something usually completely ignored. Yes, he still gets saved by luck quite a few times though, especially in that last arc. The later episodes of the space arc suffer heavily from stock footage though, likely budget cuts due to the show being canceled, so the battles there are rather bland.

Before those final few episodes, almost every battle involved figuring out some trick, like using beam weapons at point blank range to bypass water penalty, throwing the beam sword while the Rasveyt advanced, the combined attack against the Britova, figuring out the movement pattern of the Balient teams, etc. Garrod even attempts to use a beam weapon at point blank range to bypass the Gable's Anti-Beam Field, although it doesn't work unlike in almost any other Gundam series.

Part of the problem is that the show thrusts Garrod into situations he clearly isn't trained for. Like in the space arc he had no space simulation training and so was a mess in the initial bits of the opening space battle. In the Severn arc he has simulation training to figure out how to counter the bits and so that's why Garrod picking up Jamil's 'shooting style' made sense in that he had the underlying principles. Other times he's clearly out of his league due to lack of training and so requires something to bail him out. Now this would in theory be fine if it was due to how heavily and blatantly the show leans on this. It's not just the G Falcon and the dolphins but stuff like Roybea coming back in the nick of time to fight the Gable and even in the Rasveyt fight, Tiffa has to point out which is the pilot controlled mech in the first place.

He does come up with strategies but the writing makes him unnecessarily job a bit too often.

VRMN

Why is there hate for the Yuru Yuri OVA? It was really cute and relaxing with some comedy sprinkled in. Pretty much what I expected. Fun stuff.

The intro with the amazing Engrish was freaking awesome too.

Mostly the "some comedy" when the two seasons were much more frantic in their comedic pacing. And then some things that gnawed at me like Himawari saying "things are going too smoothly" and then not using that set up for anything. Or things that just don't feel right in Yuru Yuri like Akari being the focus or Himawari and Sakurako getting along.

I didn't hate it, but I was hoping for a lot more comedy than we got, because that's what I loved in the first two seasons.

jgminto

Ace of Diamond 72

So now Furuya is having pitching issues? All this poor play during the pre-season doesn't make for very exciting baseball. Obviously the focus is more on the behind the scenes of Seidou right now instead of the baseball itself but that leads to a lack of interest when they actually are playing.

Actually you can
In the horizon-verse, everyone is forced to follow certain rules and ordering someone to suicide itself is possible. It's not done everyday and you need to be the representative of the "right" person but it's certainly possible.
Also you've reached the point where you'll stop getting huge info dumps.
The fun starts now , at least if you've understood all the rules in place.

Still sounds like murder to me if someone is "ordering" it to happen. But I digress.

And I -sort of- understand the rules in place here. Like, in episode 5
a nuke basically happens so now we have to build off from there now. I'm still a little lost on some of the other bits of context here and there, but I think I might be able to make sense of it as the series goes on. I think.

Still sounds like murder to me if someone is "ordering" it to happen. But I digress.

a nuke basically happens so now we have to build off from there now. I'm still a little lost on some of the other bits of context here and there, but I think I might be able to make sense of it as the series goes on. I think.

Horizon's worldbuilding is quite special. Somehow you cannot use our world's logic to think, rather we may need to think with its world's logic. That is, we may think history recreation is stupid and illogical, but some of the people in horizon believe it is the only way out, and this thinking is deep-rooted in the minds of the people as they are borne with this idea.

In episode 5, horizon is sentenced to suicide, and there are going to have more characters being coerced to do sth which is against their own will. Try to grasp this idea and you will do fine.

Haly

Birdy:

Holy shit they just went Akira on Tokyo, what the fuck?

This is supposed to be a little kids manga, hayzus christo.

Well the mind juggles that will happen will explain the concept better and without spoilers ..but , in the horizon verse this stuff is possible because they aren't following normal rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom