• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

I dunno, it still seems like the project is somewhat struggling. That's not a crowdfunding campaign for the entire movie. The description and announcement says that they've spent 4 years on pre-production for this film, and the script and storyboards are complete. They're asking for about $200k via crowdfunding to keep the staff attached to the project and to develop a pilot film. This is the "next step" in the production phase.
Ah, thanks... this clears things up because I seriously thought production would be much more advanced than that by now (sad this isn't the case).

After the successful Kickstarter for the Mai Mai Miracle digital disc release overseas (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alltheanime/mai-mai-miracle) I wonder if they took notes of it and consequently should have considered making this petition open to a more international audience, most likely at another platform with a bigger reach, but... oh, well, there may be reasons like lack of a intermediary of their trust or something else we don't know about. Let's remember that the crowd-funding solution may very well be the last option for a desperate Masao Maruyama, as there is even more at stake here than it seems at first sight:

Maruyama@Otakon13 - Live Feed Browser (Epsilon) said:
1317:06:56 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> There are a few works that haven't gotten out, but as long as I'm alive, I won't give up
17:07:17 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> So some examples of these works include
17:07:23 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> Kono sekai no katatsumi de
17:07:26 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> by katabuchi

17:07:38 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> another example is the last work of mr. kon
17:07:41 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> the dreaming machine
17:08:00 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> and mr tezuka's work remade by naoki urasawa, Pluto
http://bayoab.info/live/old.php?panel=288

I hope this is the first completed goal of more to come!

Tenumi

Banned
Digimon Frontier: 8

So unlike last episode where we had the creative Digimon known as ToyAgumon, this time we re-use some of the original series Digimon, with a Togemon teaching a class of young Digimon, including a Tsunomon who can evolve into Gabumon. Naturaly, that evolution ability causes him to be shunned by the rest of the class because kids are dicks. In the end, after Gabumon saves one of the students who bullied him, everything is fine and life is grand.

...Oh, I suppose the human characters were in this episode, too. They didn't really matter all that much about the plot, however.

javac

Tomorrows Blu-ray and DVD releases in the US for the month of 03/10/2015. Links lead to Amazon unless it's an exclusive.
Blu-ray
03/10/15
The Familiar of Zero: Knight of the Twin Moons Complete Collection [Sentai] $34.49
jFD3wOc.jpg
The World God Only Knows III Goddesses Complete Collection [Sentai] $40.29
HOMQ7DX.jpg
Fairy Tail Part 15 [Funimation] $34.99
yGd5cJf.jpg
Blu-ray Import
03/11/15
Persona 3 the Movie #2 Midsummer Knight's Dream (Regular Edition) [AoA] $59.98
gmk1VeO.jpg
Persona 3 the Movie #2 Midsummer Knight's Dream (Limited Edition) [AoA] $79.98
ok30QTL.jpg

DVD
03/10/15
Yu-Gi-Oh! Collection Vol. 1 [Cinedigm] $16.95
NWz2J1A.jpg
Ladies versus Butlers!: Complete Collection [Media Blasters] $27.99
piZmc26.jpg

Now now, let's educate this person and recommend him good anime.

Shows like G Gundam, Kino's Journey, Gunbuster, and Eureka Seven. Those sort of shows.

Him specifically asking for shows available on Crunchyroll effectively cut my list in half, otherwise I'd have mentioned Kino, Eureka Seven, From the New World, Fullmetal Alchemist, Baccano, and a bunch of the other older Toonami hitters as well (Champloo, Bebop, etc). Can't deny that there's a lot of crossover between SAO fans and Onii-sama though, he'd probably enjoy it regardless of AnimeGAF's overall opinion on it. :p

DiGiKerot

Him specifically asking for shows available on Crunchyroll effectively cut my list in half, otherwise I'd have mentioned Kino, Eureka Seven, From the New World, Fullmetal Alchemist, Baccano, and a bunch of the other older Toonami hitters as well (Champloo, Bebop, etc). Can't deny that there's a lot of crossover between SAO fans and Onii-sama though, he'd probably enjoy it regardless of AnimeGAF's overall opinion on it. :p

Isn't From The New World still on Crunchy? I can still see it here, at least...

Midonin

Gourmet Girl Graffiti 09

Nice seeing how much things have changed from when the show started.

Maria 09

The start of the episode was unsettling, but I like how in the end, Maria gave a very compelling argument for atheistic morality. Not in a fedora way, but in a way that speaks to human passion for getting things done, knowing this is all we have - and that we can make the best of that. Take that, Father Creepy.

Yatterman Night 09

By the end of this, the real Yattermen are going to be back, and I love how the show's building up to that. While Gatchaman Crowds was a reinvention of its source, this is veering into full-on homage territory. Not quite as snarky as something like, say, The Venture Brothers, but if someone were to use that as a point of comparison, I wouldn't fault them.

World Break 09

In Soviet Russia, Chiaki Omigawa stars with you.

Absolute Duo 09

This is why you treat people with respect. Because a loss of self-confidence is a great way for someone to fall in with the wrong crowd. Miyabi may not be "badass", but she was still playing a part in everyone's lives. Now... uh-oh.

Yuri the Pooh 09

It's not so much that the first three episodes were bad, as they were lacking in context. I'm sure if anybody rewatched them now, they'd make a lot more sense in light of what's been going on. I wonder what the second half of the story contained that made Kureha react like that.

PSA for everyone who bought Anime Limited's UK release of Durarara: Replacement BD's with corrected subtitles and signs-only track can now be requested and are expected to be shipped at the end of May.

If you want replacements click here: Anime Limited

In the past they had a lot of problems with QC but their Packaging and customer service is really top notch. Other UK publishers like MVM don't even compare.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Parasyte -the Sex-

This episode was weird. Like really weird. The revelation about the Mayor guy was interesting and Gotou seems like a pretty reasonable end-game threat to Shinichi. But then there's the random sex subplot, which was just random as fuck.

Shinichi was acting like a Vulcan with superpowers for 10+ episodes, is clearly involved in some insanely crazy shit, and then ran up to Murano on the street, hurt her and then ran the fuck off screaming for no explained reason. And this apparently turns Murano on. She doesn't even actually know about the Parasytes or any of the deeper causes of his internal anguish. And then coitus ensues. But what in the living fuck is turning her on about Shinichi's batshit behavior and what in the fuck possessed a dude who was concerned like five minutes prior that Gotou was going to kill him at any second that he should go make the beast with two backs leaving him totally exposed to attack. Shouldn't he be getting his dad and girlfriend away from him? Its some 80s movie shit right there.

Cornbread78

Cross Ange
The Irregular at Magic High School

There are people both here and in the Toonami thread that could go much more in depth but as I understand it most people take issue with the second half of S1, its ending, and the "Gary Stu" protagonist.

Well, you see, the thing about that is, uh...how can I put this...

There's much better anime out there! Yeah!

Have you seen the masterpieces that are known as Madoka Magica and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? If you liked SAO, I can almost guarantee that you'll Iike those shows as well! Perhaps even more so than SAO!

EDIT:

Yeah, I think you'll definitely enjoy Madoka and Gurren Lagann. More so on Gurren Lagann with the humor and action though.

Like I said before, although I've played hundreds of jrpgs over the past 20+ years of gaming and always love a great story, this is my first attempt to watch an anime series. I was shocking really engaged the entire time and was moved more than a grown man should at this stuff.

I finally finished the entire session so far, and I understand the 2nd half of season two drifting off a little bit from everything, but I still felt engaged throughout the entire way.

For me at least, it was a pretty emotional roller coaster and they still have a ton of room left to add to the story and follow a completely diffent path within the game world. I just really hope they can keep the emotional edge for future iteration and not stray too far away from the core story...

For now, I'll have to dig through some of the recomendations of other Anime out there. I've seen that Madoka mentioned twice now, so I may look there first.

EDIT: Medoka isn;t on Crunchyroll is it? Is there another way to watch it for free?

1. Probably. It prints money.

2. Things that come to mind in terms of Crunchyroll shows with action, nice stories, and a touch of romance would be ...

Katanagatari
Voices of a Distant Star
Gurren Lagann

... and some shows that don't necessarily meet all of your criteria but are also on Crunchyroll and worth watching.

Fate/Zero
Madoka Magica
Haikyuu
Mushi-shi
Time of Eve
Flowers of Evil
Humanity Has Declined
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

... and because you enjoyed SAO so much.

You need to add Log Horizon to that list. If you really get into it, it'll be hard to go back to SAO. Painful even.

phaze

1. Probably. It prints money.

2. Things that come to mind in terms of Crunchyroll shows with action, nice stories, and a touch of romance would be ...

Katanagatari

Is Katanagatari really on Crunchyroll ? I don't have any videos on its page and it doesn't even say it's unavailable in my region. Just that:
Note: There are no videos for this Series. This page is only for discussion and informational purposes

Great Teacher Onizuka 14

Studying is hard.

And unnecessary as it seems Onizuka will be bailed from his exam by the virtue of saving bully/foot fetishist/tsundere girl from the kidnapping attempt.

Have to say - the show improved handily in the past few episodes. Stalker sensei ftw.

Mature

Parasyte -the Sex-

This episode was weird. Like really weird. The revelation about the Mayor guy was interesting and Gotou seems like a pretty reasonable end-game threat to Shinichi. But then there's the random sex subplot, which was just random as fuck.

Shinichi was acting like a Vulcan with superpowers for 10+ episodes, is clearly involved in some insanely crazy shit, and then ran up to Murano on the street, hurt her and then ran the fuck off screaming for no explained reason. And this apparently turns Murano on. She doesn't even actually know about the Parasytes or any of the deeper causes of his internal anguish. And then coitus ensues. But what in the living fuck is turning her on about Shinichi's batshit behavior and what in the fuck possessed a dude who was concerned like five minutes prior that Gotou was going to kill him at any second that he should go make the beast with two backs leaving him totally exposed to attack. Shouldn't he be getting his dad and girlfriend away from him? Its some 80s movie shit right there.
Yep. It was entirely nonsensical and abysmally directed/paced. I can't imagine it's fairly representing the source material. Kind of a shame, because I'd been enjoying the show as sort of a trashy, middling adaptation, but its kind of tipped over into just bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A+!

I'd like to hear some impressions of the Hanayamata game when you get around to it. Looks cute!
That HaNaYaMaTa game better be a yuri harem
My understanding is that the Hanayamata game is post-anime, taking place during the school festival that they allude to at the end. It's more story based, with like a few rhythm sections thrown in, so I'm seeing it more as a pseudo-second season more than anything else. Based on youtube playthroughs, it looks everything is broken into 30 minute chunks anyway.
575 is fun, but those Love Live games are buttttttttttttt.

Curious as to how the HaNaYaMaTa game is, though.
The Love Live games are apparently bad, but they're bargain bin games now. lol
So was the 575 game... I'm curious if I'll be able to do well with it since the haiku parts seem like it'd screw me up given that I can't read any Japanese. I've read that you can sort of just guess your way through those sections though.

One of the rare times where your gaming habits mirrors exactly your anime ones.
I'm not so sure about Amagami and Photokano, but close enough.

I've never been so proud of you. You are a true nakama.
lol

Hm... What's the middle-bottom row game?
Ebikore+!

Is this why you don't have time for old anime?
To be honest, I expect I'll probably play like a couple of these games. Amagami and PhotoKano are probably too Japanese heavy to be able to play properly.

Old anime is bad anyway. If it was any good then it would have a reboot by now.
Hey, if they're going to make a western version of Yamato, someone like JJ or Blomkamp will be making a LOGH soon too right?

Which made a pretty good anime as well.
Morishima the best. Rihoko the secret best.
Maya is the real best.

Lautaro

Parasyte -the Sex-

Well, she seems to like him more when he returns to his old vulnerable self. Sex is also a good way to cheer someone up so it's not that random.

EDIT: also someone posted the manga scene and is pretty much the same situation.

Kapi96

Parasyte -the Sex-

So much better than all the anime that hint at romance the whole time but the guy never gets with the girl.

DiGiKerot

The Love Live games are apparently bad, but they're bargain bin games now. lol
So was the 575 game... I'm curious if I'll be able to do well with it since the haiku parts seem like it'd screw me up given that I can't read any Japanese. I've read that you can sort of just guess your way through those sections though.

I have all three LEs for those Love Live games. That sure was a monumental waste of money, but I guess the No Brand Girls puchi nendos were cute.

As far as 575 goes, you can unlock everything in the game without getting a single part of the haiku selection right - it's basically the difference between clearing a song with a 3-star ranking and a 4-or-5-star ranking. 3-star counts as a successful clear, but not a high scoring one. There's a certain amusement in hearing the girls sing horribly broken Japanese anyway, since the game uses Vocaloid technology to seemlessly sing your selections, regardless of how little sense they make.

(I have the LE for 575 as well, now that I think about it, but that came with a neat Vita carry case and cartridge holder that I actually use for one of my Vitas)

Mature

Here are some screencaps from the last three minutes of the latest Parasyte episode.

azjjm4bl.jpg

Shinichi runs into some guys and they pick on them so he beats them up and screams like a madman.
MQ4r1YZl.jpg

Shinchi runs into Izumi and she asks if he skipped school today. He is clearly:
BMAnnidl.jpg

Acting weird. He then proceeds to hug her so tight that he begins hurting her. Izumi pushes him away and then Shinchi runs away apologizing like an idiot.
pZajDsMl.jpg

Izumi finds him in a park and repeats dialogue that she has been saying for literally the entire series. Shinichi is acting schizophrenic and something is clearly wrong. Naturally, that leads her to:
RjNiNcOl.jpg

Invite him over. Her house is empty and its cold outside. They then
have sex, Shinichi says he loves her, and Izumi, all the while smiling, exclaims how odd Shinchi is.

Clumsy, rushed, confused storytelling that acts like its ticking boxes for its adaptation. Completely awful and probably not even the worst part of the episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have all three LEs for those Love Live games. That sure was a monumental waste of money, but I guess the No Brand Girls puchi nendos were cute.

As far as 575 goes, you can unlock everything in the game without getting a single part of the haiku selection right - it's basically the difference between clearing a song with a 3-star ranking and a 4-or-5-star ranking. 3-star counts as a successful clear, but not a high scoring one. There's a certain amusement in hearing the girls sing horribly broken Japanese anyway, since the game uses Vocaloid technology to seemlessly sing your selections, regardless of how little sense they make.

(I have the LE for 575 as well, now that I think about it, but that came with a neat Vita carry case and cartridge holder that I actually use for one of my Vitas)
Oh, that's cool that you can beat the game at least. If you have the LEs, do you use those school IDs that are part of the package? lol

Also, I'm sorry that you bought all three of the Love Live games. Ouch!

Pls review the Love Live one.
Everyone says it sucks. I'm not expecting much. lol
Also, they gave away two songs as DLC, which means I may need to do the whole formatting thing at some point just to try those out.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I look forward to the analysis of Grizzly Lezzies when it's over so I can finally understand all the deep imagery going on.

cajunator

Banned
This is probably the most thorough and thoughtful beat-down of poor visual storytelling in anime that I've read in quite some time http://deadlightanime.blogspot.com....atography-vs-amagis.html?utm_source=BP_recent

I dont like his approach to this but its an interesting read nonetheless. I think its overly simplified though.

OP: Garo/Fafner/Death Parade. Fairly torn on this one.
ED: Akatsuki no Yona. Easy decision there.
OST: Fafner or Yuri Kuma

Yona has a hell of an amazing OST. Reminds me heavily of Twelve Kingdoms or Story of Saiunkoku. gorgeous music.

i kind of hate everything about this. not a grisaia fan either so...yeah, but still, this kind of blog post is garbage.

first of all, grisaia is 1280 x 525, but these screenshots are from like....fucking i don't even know. someone must have done some fan thing where they just blew everything up and placed the subs on top of the shot. he's armchair analyzing the show while everything might as well be in hix-vision and the aspect ratio is balled up.

there's also just a general unawareness there. shots are misidentified by type, and there are a lot of skipped cuts that actually establish some amount of reasoning for why grisaia does what it does. certain elements, like the close up of the camera on the school's wall, are given context by establishing that it's something the main character is noticing and directly looking at.

also, this asshole turns off subs or something when he wants to whine about specific things to remove context. why does the show zoom in on the couch? because they literally just said that the facility includes all the furniture students need. this information isn't interesting at all, but it comes as a vestigial limb from the visual novel roots of grisaia. it's less a failing of the cinematography than it is of the storyboarding/script/etc.

there is a one-dimensional understanding of cinematography in this blog post that boxes in a single use for many shots. and for real "rule of thirds" dweebs that just read some article on wikipedia make me want to barf.

I agree in this case. Its like someone studied film 101 and suddenly believes they are a filmography expert.

Oh hey, the Shirobako OVA episode 1 (Exodus) is out.

Sweet. I really want to see this!

I RETURN TO YOU ANIME GAF

MONTHS LATER

I finally got around to finishing Cowboy Bebop

The GOAT. The masterpiece.

At a loss for words currently.

I wouldnt call it the GOAT but its pretty good. Definitely rewatchable many times. I still think the overall punch of the story suffers from too much sidetracking stories, though thats what makes it so watchable.

a redhead twintails and a short white haired girl. Im sold already.

I'm not really sure how to even talk about this week's Yurikuma Arashi without spoiling the episode (or just saying really empty words to avoid spoilers), but it was really good. The show continues to gain in confidence, and I feel like with each episode more of Ikuhara's style comes out. The show has ultimately turned into something which I feel is quite remarkable, and everyone should check it out at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom