• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idolmaster Xenoglossia 08

Typical beach episode with some exposition mixed in to give the episode some purpose other than fanservice. Pink mecha are bomb, why aren't there more!? Burned Iori got some laughs and that tan. The bonding between Haruka and Imber was hilarious. Imber has no shame!

No that's totally haruka fault here...trying to have a "private moment" with her mecha !

Cornbread78

There are many shows with deeper stories because SAO has no love story in it, just a lust story. Its honestly really awful.
The manga author also wrote a more interesting story called Accel World which is actually in the same universe and was made into an anime too. The characterizations are much better in that.
As for what you are looking for, I think Log horizon is a much better show in the same vein.

Because SAO is honestly bottom of the barrel anime.
I say that as a watcher of most bottom barrel anime too.

I think once youve seen more anime you will realize how juvenile and awful SAO is. but if you like it, you like it. I like some really terrible anime too.

Well, I certainly have something to look forward to then. I just watched the first episode of LH based off of recomendations from yesterday.and it was alright, but it sounds like I have somethign to look forward to. Does Log Horizon have a deep, rewarding story? Any love stories or adult themes build into it?

Well, I certainly have something to look forward to then. I just watched the first episode of LH based off of recomendations from yesterday.and it was alright, but it sounds like I have somethign to look forward to. Does Log Horizon have a deep, rewarding story? Any love stories or adult themes build into it?

Log horizon is a well written story that actually take the whole premise of being stuck in an Mmo - alternate world seriously.
It's very well written.

Don't worry about like SAO , it's not well liked here , it's not the best anime ever. But it's decent enough to be entertaining despite all the critics that this anime received here.

Cornbread78

Log horizon is a well written story that actually take the whole premise of being stuck in an Mmo - alternate world seriously.
It's very well written.

Don't worry about like SAO , it's not well liked here , it's not the best anime ever. But it's decent enough to be entertaining despite all the critics that this anime received here.

Thank you; for some reason SAO just resonated with me, so I'm not to worried about it since it was my first ever, lol. I've finished the first two episodes of LH and it's starting off slow so far, so hopefully, it picks up with the third forward. Maybe you know, but does it delve into the love stories and/or adult themes liek SAO does?

phaze

Boogiepop Phantom 09
0017699ju8h.png

What the hell is up with you.
Right, I've pretty much rewatched the series from the beginning, just so I could get a better handle on things and it certainly helped. It might very well be the most convoluted show I've seen so far. It certainly gives second half of Ergo Proxy a run for it's money. And it's not even the
artificial humans
or the
electro magnetic magic
that makes it so weird and hard to follow but the way the story is told. The show juggles dozens of characters, most of the them who only make a lengthy appearance in single episode, and constantly jumps back in time, especially to 5 years ago. Even the present storyline is told in non linear and confusing way, with multiple POV's interlocking with each other. The most important, recurring characters get introduced early on but only with seconds of screen time. Kirima Nagi - the closest to a main character this show has so far, barely had 5 minutes devoted to her before her very own episode 8. Her acquaintance gets introduced in the 30 seconds of episode 2, is then only mentioned in passing in episode 5 and finally is the source of an important twist in ep 8. You blink and you miss it. The rewatch made me also realise the probable importance of Touka, she's in the opening and may very well have some connection to the manticore but so far she only had very few scenes with little of importance happening in them. And because of that, I've pretty much erased her from my memory prior to the rewatch.

I'm still not quite sure where the story is going - as the main antagonist seems to have bought the farm in the past episode but I suppose there's still a lot of plot threads left hanging. Perhaps this weird Peter Pan kid will pick up the mantle as this last episode might be implying.

Thank you; for some reason SAO just resonated with me, so I'm not to worried about it since it was my first ever, lol. I've finished the first two episodes of LH and it's starting off slow so far, so hopefully, it picks up with the third forward. Maybe you know, but does it delve into the love stories and/or adult themes liek SAO does?

Log Horizon looks into the mechanics of MMORPGs in far greater detail than in SAO. They also explore how players interact and negotiate with NPCs when they are in the same world together. It starts slow for the first four episodes but it picks up after that.

Love plays a very small part in the story and only really crops up near the end of S1 and it being there is really jarring considering how romantic relationships aren't bought up much by that point.

Give Log horizon a little more time .it's worth it.
Also no , it's not really focused on love stories, it's instead more focused about relationships ( those you have , those you seek , those you've lost ) it's a different approach.
The world building take time to get into gear ( especially if you'renot familliar with Mmos ) , but it's good stuff

Also, with the 10th episode of Absolute Duo, fuck Miyabi. Fuck her for being so fucking stupid. She still has no motive or any sense to do what she's doing
even if it may seem that she's brainwashed a bit.

Cornbread78

Log Horizon looks into the mechanics of MMORPGs in far greater detail than in SAO. They also explore how players interact and negotiate with NPCs when they are in the same world together. It starts slow for the first four episodes but it picks up after that.

Love plays a very small part in the story and only really crops up near the end of S1 and it being there is really jarring considering how romantic relationships aren't bought up much by that point.

Give Log horizon a little more time .it's worth it.
Also no , it's not really focused on love stories, it's instead more focused about relationships ( those you have , those you seek , those you've lost ) it's a different approach.
The world building take time to get into gear ( especially if you'renot familliar with Mmos ) , but it's good stuff

I'll give it a shot, I just finished the third episode "Escape" which was pretty good. I think I have a weird tendency to like to delve into the human relationship aspects of things too much, which is why SAO stuck out. I'll keep watching through this series, but for my next one, I had several great recomendations on the last page yesterday (TY again guys). Would would you say best delves into human relationships and love stories, as well as action built into it? Hopefully availible to watch on Crunchyroll?

Shin Sekai Yori (from the new world)
Cross Ange
The Irregular at Magic High School
Tengen Toppa
Gurren Lagann
Puella Magi Madoka
Katanagatari
Voices of a Distant Star
Puella Magi Madoka

javac

New US Blu-ray Box-art
Kill la Kill - Box Set 5 [Limited Edition] [AoA]
Release Date: 28th April 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray/DVD [Region Free]
Language: English & Japanese
Price: $59.98
VXIZhUD.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Subtitles: English & Spanish
  • Episodes: 20-25 (6 in total, the 6th episode being the Episode 25 OVA)
  • Disc count: 3 (1 BD, 1 DVD, 1 Bonus DVD)
Special Content:
  • Making of Documentary 3 Bonus DVD: "KILL la KILL VOICES” Staff Interviews
  • Postcards
  • Double sided Poster
  • Bushiroad’s Weiss Schwarz Exclusive Collectible Card
  • KILL la KILL Digest –Naked Memories by Aikuro Mikisugi–
  • Textless Openings & Endings
  • Web Version Previews

Patlabor: The Movie [Maiden Japan]
Release Date: 5th May 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray [A]
Price: $24.99
FcsUETR.jpg

NZUpdUh.jpg

The World God Only Knows - OVA Collection [Sentai]
Release Date: 5th May 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray [A]
Price: $24.99
rSnBzXs.jpg

vC70cPz.jpg

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works - BD-Box 1 [Limited Edition] [AoA]
Release Date: 25th March 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray [Region Free]
Language: Japanese
Price: $413.98
g76zo64.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Subtitles: English & Japanese
  • Episodes: 00-12 (13 in total, all uncut)
  • Disc count: 5 (with 1 more for CD)
Special Content:
  • Original Soundtrack 1 CD
  • English translated booklet of the Deluxe Booklet (AoA version only, original Japanese set will be untranslated)
  • Wall Scroll illustrated by Takashi Takeuchi (Original Character Design/Illustration) (Rightstuf version and Amazon JP Exclusive Limited Edition version only)
  • English translated 'Garden of Avalon' Novel written by Kinoko Nasu (illustrated by Takashi Takeuchi) (AoA version only, original Japanese set will be untranslated)
  • Trailer Collection: Promotional videos
  • TV Spot Collection: CM by each character, Release Announcement CM, and more)
  • Textless Opening
  • Textless Ending

cajunator

Banned
The anime will most likely be watch soon but from what I heard, I will most likely watch an episode per week while watch other anime. I think someone here ask what is my opinion about this anime but will say once I watch the anime (and maybe read the Manga). I like dark anime once a while but if this is very depressing like what other people say, man.....hope I don't get too depress once I finish watching it.

I will put it this way. I marathoned Saikano all at once and afterward I felt empty and solemn for days. Me. Happy bouncing me. I was legit saddened by that show. It felt like a boulder crushed my heart. It is so, so, so bleak.

There are two phases of Vita Owners: Weaboo and Non-Vita Owner

This is hilariously true.

It's Japanese Big Bang Theory. No more needs to be said.

Ok now Im interested!

I can understand that, however in light of how fake Asuna X Kirito is as a relationship I can assure you the anime world has much more genuine love stories.
If youre after adult themes, Shin Sekai Yori is basically about conspiracy and secret societies for control and there are so many twists and turns and really dark secrets in there to keep one entertained and watching to completion. Also I would recommend Steins;Gate.
The unfortunate thing is you got into anime so late you missed out on shows like Haibane Renmei, Kino's journey, the movie Millennium Actress. These can be found on DVd either used or in re-releases but not streamed. They all contain elements of romance and adult themes however, and you can really see what happens when directors know what they are doing.

As for SAO, I hate half of it. the first half of season one is honestly tolerable. Not very memorable but not as infuriating as the second half. Also the half baked explanations for things and motives for character actions, self insertion fanservice...its just...bad.
If you ask anyone here I rarely ever say that about any show but man this show just pissed me off.

Good Luck Girl Episodes 1-8

B_v5OwVUgAAJ2cd.jpg

First, Nadeshiko is clearly best girl ;o It's like playing Where's Waldo for 22 minutes. xD

Really cute show, Sakura is really cool and so is Momoji when she's acting cute. Shame there's only 13 episodes, but alas, better than less. Oh, and love all the other Anime references. So much DBZ. haha.

JCG

I am still going to keep the Bandai Visual DVD set with all the extras, but it's tempting to pick up the Patlabor film in HD.

javac

I am still going to keep the Bandai Visual DVD set with all the extras, but it's tempting to pick up the Patlabor film in HD.

Do it, seriously I already own the Limited Editions releases from Japan but have this ordered too, I'm glad they kept the cover from the Japanese re-release too. The Limited set is nice however, love the artwork on them as well :)

It looks killer in HD.

cajunator

Banned

B_v5OwVUgAAJ2cd.jpg

First, Nadeshiko is clearly best girl ;o It's like playing Where's Waldo for 22 minutes. xD

Really cute show, Sakura is really cool and so is Momoji when she's acting cute. Shame there's only 13 episodes, but alas, better than less. Oh, and love all the other Anime references. So much DBZ. haha.

Binbougami ga is so good man. so damned good.

Tuck

Death Parade - Episode 5

This show is a ton of fun. This episode switched things up from the standard formula and started hinting at the overarching story. Plus there was a pretty cool, very pretty shonen-esque battle sequence. Short, but sweet.

Garo, Death Parade and Yatterman Night are all really, really fun.

B_v5OwVUgAAJ2cd.jpg

The cruel reality that our world is not perfect is that the binbogami-ga anime didn't feature any nadeshiko arc.
Blasphemy of the highest order !

Yuki Yuna is a Hero set 2 cover art:

kghZEW6.jpg

Goddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Looks awesome .
I wish i could get something like that in a EUr release.

Syrinx

Date A Live 02

Oh, so this is where that guy is from.

They're using the old 'feed-lines-through-earpiece' trick here, eh? That never works... Oh, wait... It does in this show, or at least on humans it does.

It's so dumb
that I can't help but like it :p
DaL is stupid but I found it pretty entertaining.

Season 2 blows though.

DiGiKerot

Oh, that's cool that you can beat the game at least. If you have the LEs, do you use those school IDs that are part of the package? lol

Hahahaha, nah - I don't use the Azuki or Machi swings either, but that's because my Vita's are protected by Naka-chan and Piyo Piyo.

How do these games work? are they music/rhythm? RPGs? story based choice?

Photokano and Amagami (EbiCore+) are VNs.

Girls und Panzer is a tank battle action game. I hear it's OK, but the opponent AI being as dumb as two planks makes it way less fun than it could be.

575, Love Live School Idol Paradise and HaNaYaMaTa are all rhythm games. I've not played HaNaYaMaTa. Having played the Love Live game, it doesn't really shock me that Dingo was struck from the development of the Persona dancing game - it's pretty janky from a technical point of view, and it just makes the game feel mushy and unresponsive, which isn't exactly what you want from a rhythm game. How you go from Project Diva to that, I do not know.

575 is pretty fun, though. The gimmick is that they use Vocalioid technology, and the songs are predominantly written in haiku - at several points in the song it'll prompt you to arrange lyrics into the correct order, and it will dynamically sing whatever you put in regardless of how grammatically correct it is. Infact, there's modes in there which let you pretty much rewrite the lyrics for the entire song. The rhythm stuff around that is a little simple on anything other than the hardest difficulty settings, but it's fun enough regardless.

Date A Live 03

Tohka eats everything.

It's their first date and it ends with a bang. Although, not the kind of bang some of the characters in the show hoped for.

So, those flying girls and the people in the spaceship aren't part of the same group, right?

Date A Live 03

Tohka eats everything.

It's their first date and it ends with a bang. Although, not the kind of bang some of the characters in the show hoped for.

So, those flying girls and the people in the spaceship aren't part of the same group, right?

It eventually gets explained... sort of. It's something you eventually just figure out lol.

Sterok

Yuri Kuma 9

Called it.
I knew Mitsuko would be alive... is she? She appeared outside wherever Ginko was, so she's still around in some form. Looks like the other girls realized they had bigger bears to fry than Kureha. Sexy has his priorities straight. Yurika makes her move and promptly gets shot. That's what happens when you demonize your own kind lady. Time for the final truths to be revealed.

Cornbread78

I can understand that, however in light of how fake Asuna X Kirito is as a relationship I can assure you the anime world has much more genuine love stories.
If youre after adult themes, Shin Sekai Yori is basically about conspiracy and secret societies for control and there are so many twists and turns and really dark secrets in there to keep one entertained and watching to completion. Also I would recommend Steins;Gate.
The unfortunate thing is you got into anime so late you missed out on shows like Haibane Renmei, Kino's journey, the movie Millennium Actress. These can be found on DVd either used or in re-releases but not streamed. They all contain elements of romance and adult themes however, and you can really see what happens when directors know what they are doing.

As for SAO, I hate half of it. the first half of season one is honestly tolerable. Not very memorable but not as infuriating as the second half. Also the half baked explanations for things and motives for character actions, self insertion fanservice...its just...bad.
If you ask anyone here I rarely ever say that about any show but man this show just pissed me off.

Yeah, I can understand the complaints, I got lost at tmes as well, and the ending was meh. They need to do a third episode to really continue the story and straighten everythign else abotu the creator and his true motives and
"the Seed"

I'll keep watching through Log Horrizon for now, i's been pretty fun so far, but for my next one, I had several great recomendations yesterday from Gaffers. Which of the below available on Crunchyroll would you say best delves into human relationships and love stories, and might have some action built into it? For some reason I've been in a modo lately and SAO hit the right mood for me and I'd like to see if there are more good ones out there. They can be a little dirty and jouvenile I'm not too worried about that, but a I've a sucker for the love tropes, lol.

Cross Ange
Tengen Toppa
Gurren Lagann
Puella Magi Madoka
Katanagatari
Voices of a Distant Star
Puella Magi Madoka

Oh and on Log Horizon 1-6

It's pretty well written and really interesting so far, It's a different tone completely than SAO, but pretty good so far.

phaze

, I had several great recomendations yesterday from Gaffers. Which of the below available on Crunchyroll would you say best delves into human relationships and love stories, and might have some action built into it? For some reason I've been in a modo lately and SAO hit the right mood for me and I'd like to see if there are more good ones out there. They can be a little dirty and jouvenile I'm not too worried about that, but a I've a sucker for the love tropes, lol.

Cross Ange
Tengen Toppa
Gurren Lagann
Puella Magi Madoka
Katanagatari
Voices of a Distant Star
Puella Magi Madoka

Don't watch Cross Ange and Irregular as they're awful shows

Madoka doesn't really have any romance.

Shin Sekai Yori and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann do have some but it's never really on the forefront of things. I don't think they're quite what you're looking for. (But they're great shows so watch them anyway. Madoka too.)

Haven't seen Voices and Katanagatari.

2 episodes left, how's Yatterman Night so far?

Wiki says three eps left.

Yoru no Yatterman 05-09
All caught up. If it wasn't for the ending to the last episode, I really would have thought this is a two cour show. There really hasn't been much progress on the main plot front, outside of maybe the General Goro stuff. It was all episodic content with the bonus of bits of character development.

I think "passable" describes my feelings about the show as of now. 95 % of the humor falls completely flat for me, the mood whiplash is really jarring at times but it's still competently directed and has enough of its own charm. Couple that with my rose tinted glasses and it's enough to make me truck till the very end.

Given the pervading (original Yatterman based speculation)
skull
imagery, I would be very surprised if the ending reveals won't have
Dokurobei being behind it all.

Jex

Which of the below available on Crunchyroll would you say best delves into human relationships and love stories, and might have some action built into it? For some reason I've been in a modo lately and SAO hit the right mood for me and I'd like to see if there are more good ones out there. They can be a little dirty and jouvenile I'm not too worried about that, but a I've a sucker for the love tropes, lol.

Cross Ange
Tengen Toppa
Gurren Lagann
Puella Magi Madoka
Katanagatari
Voices of a Distant Star
Puella Magi Madoka

Oh and on Log Horizon 1-6

It's pretty well written and really interesting so far, It's a different tone completely than SAO, but it's really interesting so far.
I wish you luck with your journey but I really must insist that you remove Cross Ange and The Irregular at Magic High School from your list as you have far better shows on their to watch. Also, Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann is a single title.

For romance and human relationship drama the ideal title on that list is clearly Voices of a Distant Star and it's also the shortest, so that helps.

The vast majority of well made anime that focus on romance contain little to no action. Romance will regularly appear as a side-plot in a number of fairly samey action or sports shows but it's usually done very poorly in those cases.

Presuming this hasn't been posted yet, but the full Death Parade ED (Last Theater by NoisyCell) is starting to pop up ahead of its release tomorrow

linky

it's reeeeeeeally fucking good.

Also, in case people haven't seen it, the amazing music video for the OP (Flyers by Bradio) is out

Linky

javac

A few days old.
Jaume Collet-Serra Says No Progress Has Been Made on Live-Action AKIRA Movie
Here’s what he said when asked if he’s made any progress on Akira: “No, no. There’s nothing.”
I have no stake in the thing. Many many years ago you could say that I was pissed at the notion of this, as well as other live action anime adaptations. You've heard the reasons a million times as to why. Eventually I just learned to enjoy what we had and just black out adaptations, from Bebop, Eva, Battle Angel, GITS and Akira and it seems to have paid off for me so far by saving me the headache and further allowed me to indulge in the source material itself and channel that energy elsewhere. Still, its funny to see how these never come to fruition...well I mean...apart from DB Evolution. Still feels like a fever dream *shudder*

Cornbread78

I wish you luck with your journey but I really must insist that you remove Cross Ange and The Irregular at Magic High School from your list as you have far better shows on their to watch. Also, Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann is a single title.

For romance and human relationship drama the ideal title on that list is clearly Voices of a Distant Star and it's also the shortest, so that helps.

The vast majority of well made anime that focus on romance contain little to no action. Romance will regularly appear as a side-plot in a number of fairly samey action or sports shows but it's usually done very poorly in those cases.

Thank you. When I'm done Log Horrizon, I'll check out Voices of a Distant Star next. Then hat would be the next best one on Crunchyroll to check out that may not have action, but is heavy is relationships/love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom