• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlimited fafnir - 09

1st plan :
Lure the MC into a generic hotspring scene with boob grabing .

2nd plan
Drop a giant mithril bomb upon an immobile target .
Failure

So you're telling me that after the phone call , everyone just forgot that they heard someone just near them ? Lol, ok

Midonin

NeoGEF
Midokishi

(10-10-2014 4:03 PM)

Exodus! 01

I was planning on watching this because of the key visual, even after it was roundly dismissed in this thread. I know Sunset Illusion's mismatch of cute characters and gritty action didn't go over well, but it can work again. Cute is justice! That they cast Kayanan, the youngest of the girls, as the oldest of the trio is a nice bit of playing against casting - and Suzuka Itou is currently doing a bang-up job as Mikako over in Luna Sailor Jewel, too - she can be a good guide during this.

The premise strikes me as something akin to The A-Team meets Charlie's Angels. I think one of those interviews on Yatsuon said that it was inspired by American action movies, but it wouldn't be anime without some Japanese cultural elements, like idols and the presence of a Kamen Rider like show. I'm not sure this is the kind of show one should look to for action scenes - characters are key, and I'm in it because I want to know what made Aya and Akane and the gang want to be idols in the first place. Stuff that comes from the heart. Also character songs. Those come from the heart, too.

The opening CGI dance was a little weird at times. Aigatsu has improved over time, so perhaps they got some help from Sunup on this one - though everyone's paying attention to X-Ange this season - and after what Julian just did, I can't really blame them.

I don't know where Exodus is going to go, but not even Stand Up, Girls!, as "real" as that was for the idol industry, began with a freaking murder. The somewhat mild fanservice doesn't bother me, but the murder just might overshadow it in the eye of the bloggers. I think.

To 2014 - the season that's already starting off with a bang!

I RETURN TO YOU ANIME GAF

MONTHS LATER

I finally got around to finishing Cowboy Bebop

The GOAT. The masterpiece.

At a loss for words currently.

Joe Molotov

Is it too late to get on the Cross Ange bandwagon? I just thought people were watching it ironically, I didn't realize it was actually AOTY 2014/15. I spent all afternoon watching it; I laughed, I cried, I wet myself. Citizen Kane is the Cross Ange of movies.

Sterok

Koufuku Graffiti 9

Leaving the oden alone with Ryou is dangerous. Kirin is bad at planning. Improving with adults though. Time to get drunk. Akira has her priorities straight. Now, just what was Shiina doing with her family?

Cross Ange 22

Well, Embryo is sure having his fun.
I knew Emma would be Embryo-controlled. Ersha realizes Embryo actually kind of sucks. People realize that maybe treating Salia as worthless wasn't a good idea. Even though she is. No more Mana. Time for everyone to go crazy. Empress Sylvia is still hilarious. Ersha is now the best of Embryo's pilots that we care about. I always knew she was the best. Not quite time for suicide. Oh hey, illusion Tusk. Or Ange is just going crazy. Dat censorship. Dat lucky imaginary Tusk. And now illusionary Momoka? With a frying pan tucked under her clothes? Wait, they're actually back? What kind of BS is that? Ninjas and frying pans do not qualify as explanations of anything.

I must admit, this is the first thing in a long while that made me openly say, WTF was that shit? I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Go Princess Precure 6

Time to get the plot moving. And the op keeps on changing. This time drastically different. I'm already liking the look of the next movie. Eas and Dream kicking ass again are both huge pluses.
Haruka does kind of suck compared to her teammates. Siamour is decently amusing. Haruka fails at opening lids. Miyuki would be proud. Kanata has decent memory. 12 Keys. So we've got a collectathon this season. Please make them interesting. More past Cures. Lock is already the best villain. Triple transformation is decent. Next episode looks like where things will finally get interesting.

Still bored. Really hoping something exciting happens soon, because right now everything is just going through the motions.

Lain

Shinmai Maou no Testament 1

Is this show as bad as the first episode suggest?
The comedy bits didn't make me laugh, the supposedly blood-pumping action scene was lame, the fanservice feels dumber than usual. Basically I didn't really like anything about the first episode, though I feel compelled to keep watching to see if it gets even worse going forward.

Thoraxes

The comedy bits didn't make me laugh, the supposedly blood-pumping action scene was lame, the fanservice feels dumber than usual. Basically I didn't really like anything about the first episode, though I feel compelled to keep watching to see if it gets even worse going forward.
If you like battle harem-shit with a bunch of fanservice, this show is for you.

Which is why I'm watching it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Birdy
Wow that was amazing. Can't believe I missed out on this for the last 5 years.

What I appreciate most about it was the total lack of pointless bullshit. By pointless bullshit I'm talking about needless fanservice, high school antics, beach episodes, stuff like that. For example, we know that Birdy loves taking baths because we see her taking baths a lot, and she'll even converse with Tsutomu during these baths. In most recent anime, we'd have a bunch of fanservice shots right here as Tsutomu comedically struggles to avoid peaking at her figure. In 26 episodes, Birdy teased Tsutomu about peaking only once, and we didn't even see anything. It was just an offhand remark.

Everything was just very tight and briskly paced.

I think Season 1 was more consistent all around both in terms of art and character development. A lot of that went out the window with Season 2, and instead we got a grimdark revenge story, shipping and worldbuilding. The main arc was much more interesting though, since it didn't tie itself down with a hammy villain like Shyamaladingdong. And the flashbacks were really creative; there was an Inception flashback, and a Doctor Who flashback. The writing was just very creative on all fronts.

My main criticism would be that the characters drop a lot of exposition out of the blue. I don't like that, and I know there isn't a convenient way to do it without dedicating more time, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Capella was also totally useless in Season 2 I don't know what purpose she served. Hell, I still don't know what she was doing in Season 1. I assume they're leaving stuff open for further seasons (like sunglass moustache guy) but yeah.

Pri Para 13

Mirielle getting BTFO and then they found a sweaty girl

e1fbf325dc.jpg
d95ca339f1.jpg

THE SALT IS REAL! AND SHION FINALLY APPEARS!

And the new team is called Salami Smile. lol.

dumbyugi

It gets a little better. It's certainly nothing special but I'd say it's easily the best of the LN action harem anime this season.

It gets worse, though if your a fan of random rays of light this anime is for you.

Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan anime announced

In a time and place where one's soul can be morphed into a weapon, there are modern-day magicians called mage-knights. Although Ikki Kurogane is a student at an institution that trains mage-knights, he has no particular talent in magic and is labeled the "Failed Knight" or "Worst One." Getting way less than average marks in the scorings, he was forced to repeat a year. But with the arrival of a new head of the institution, a new rule was created: knights whose abilities are compatible, as decided by the board, must share rooms and attend practice and training together throughout their school years to bring up their abilities to the max. It was a rule to implement the absolute verdict of ability.
Ikki's roommate, Stella Vermillion, turns out to be a princess of a foreign country. Stella is an A-Rank knight, the type of genius in magic who only appears once a decade. When Ikki walked in on her while she was changing her clothes, it caused a huge misunderstanding, which eventually ended up in a duel between the two of them. The punishment for the loser is eternal submission to the winner.
Forced to live in the same room and practice magic together throughout all their school years, how will Stella and Ikki's relationship evolve?

Btw, Japan win WW2 in this series lol.

yynblhH.jpg

sonicmj1

Although Ikki Kurogane is a student at an institution that trains mage-knights, he has no particular talent in magic and is labeled the "Failed Knight" or "Worst One." Getting way less than average marks in the scorings, he was forced to repeat a year. But with the arrival of a new head of the institution, a new rule was created: knights whose abilities are compatible, as decided by the board, must share rooms and attend practice and training together throughout their school years to bring up their abilities to the max. It was a rule to implement the absolute verdict of ability.
Ikki's roommate, Stella Vermillion, turns out to be a princess of a foreign country. Stella is an A-Rank knight, the type of genius in magic who only appears once a decade. When Ikki walked in on her while she was changing her clothes, it caused a huge misunderstanding, which eventually ended up in a duel between the two of them. The punishment for the loser is eternal submission to the winner.

I swear I've read this premise before for another show that aired recently.

Westlo

The hero samurai won ww2 for japan....
mjlol.png

Dog Days S1
A pretty solid series. It avoids many of the shounen pitfalls and it makes an enjoyable series. It doesn't go too heavy on fanservice and the world has reasonable depth without being bleak. The protagonist isn't bad either, despite being overpowered, he is neither the pervert trope nor the useless with women trope. The story was pretty fun even though it was lacking in stakes for the most part.

I just finished this off yesterday, enjoyable enough. Leonmichelli da gawdess..... Also watched the first 3 episodes of the next season, better start than the first....

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Exodus Episode 1?

This is so becoming a real series isn't it. It needs to become its own series, they need to find the one-armed idol. I need actual resolution to this series.

Although Ikki Kurogane is a student at an institution that trains mage-knights, he has no particular talent in magic and is labeled the "Failed Knight" or "Worst One." Getting way less than average marks in the scorings, he was forced to repeat a year. But with the arrival of a new head of the institution, a new rule was created: knights whose abilities are compatible, as decided by the board, must share rooms and attend practice and training together throughout their school years to bring up their abilities to the max. It was a rule to implement the absolute verdict of ability.

yynblhH.jpg

I've read part of the manga version of this. It's AMAZINGLY bad. I mean, even by the usual standards of this genre, it's horrible.

Also, expect all of the usual standards of the genre and more. Expect, by chapter two in the manga:

-Harem action

-Tsundere European princess main girl who is his partner and roommate and falls in (tsundere) love with MC after he defeats her and then she learns about his tragic past, which makes her feel for him. It's got WAY too much of one of my most-hated sexist tropes in anime to it, "she falls in love with the guy who defeated her because what the 'strong woman' actually wants is a stronger man". That was one of the major reasons why Cecelia is worst girl in IS, for example.

-An overpowered protagonist. "Worst" is a complete lie, this guy is ultra-powerful but of course few people recognize that.
He can also pretty much instantly copy attack abilities by seeing them used in combat, and despite having weak magic power can turn super-powerful for one minute because he's just that determined and trained himself for it.
He's a "failure" who can beat the strongest knights! Why do these shows keep try8ing to come up with these awful superpowered "failures", it's completely absurd. I don't like it when they overpower these protagonists so much while trying to claim that they are "underdogs". It doesn't work.

Etc. Ep. 1 basically goes like this: 1) "I will kill you for walking in on me and seeing me in my underwear!" 2) He soundly defeats her with his super-ability 3) She learns his tragic past 4) He comes to in their room after the fight with her straddling him and feeling his muscles in his sleep.

Yup. Really.

(Oh yeah, and MC's grandfather is the swordbearing samurai who won WWII. How, I have no idea.)

So yeah, it's a terrible series. On the other hand, this show could have some comically dumb moments. The bit that happens after #4 on that list there sure kind of was. So maybe I'll try the anime despite knowing that it's completely awful. It's always easy to drop these shows when they're unwatchably bad, such as Unlimited Fafnir this season. Dropped that after a few episodes.

Idolmaster Xenoglossia 05

Iori proving she is best. Yukiho is useless per usual.

I actually really liked the first half of Xenoglossia. It's too bad that it gets much more dark and serious in the first half, I'd have rather seen more of the lighter tone of the first half of the show... still a good show, though.

CorvoSol

So it's been awhile since I posted about this show. I think I last posted about it for Episode 2? I don't know, but it's time to talk about Cross Ange again.

I'm not going to talk about episode 22. There's no need to go over the fact that Embryo is hilariously incompetent for a being who is supposedly all powerful. No, let's ignore that, just as we have to ignore the nine million other impossible things and focus on the episode's ending.

You see, supposedly Ange is undergoing some kind of emotional arc in this show. I won't bore you with the fact that Ange is the byproduct of a hundred million recycled Sunrise ideas or how she's basically oversexed Char Aznable. Let's pretend for a minute that this show is actually somehow original and that this arc is genuine.

So Ange has hit rock bottom, and she's about to Metal Gear Solid 4 herself in the face because, well, why not? I mean, she's been a complete failure at everything she's ever attempted in this show, she's never known or bothered to learn the truth about anything in the world, and the two people who showed her kindness in a planet of lesbian rape dragon hypocrites are now dead.

You could argue this was good for Ange's development, because it shows her that being an asshole 900% of the time is the wrong way to go, and she should've tried being nicer instead of being the arrogant bitch she's been since she first appeared on screen. But now it's too late. It puts her in a great position for growth and really could make you wonder where the show is going to go with thi-

oh no I'm sorry it looks like Tusk is alive? How? fuckin' Ninja shit maybe. He's just 'not dead' no attempt is made to explain it. He just stops being dead. He escapes an empire of people out to get him and an all knowing, all seeing, all doing foe as well as BLOWING THE FUCK UP and no attempt is made to explain it.

And rather than Ange going "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ALIVE" and "WHAT IF THIS IS ANOTHER MIND GAME?" she's like "Well shit, I better fuck you to know you're real." And Sunrise hopes those hilariously censored boobies will distract you from asking HOW THE FUCK IS THIS GUY NOT DEAD.

But hey, that's not really enough! Nope. Ange fucks her boy toy literally the entire night long, and all night he kinda forgets to mention that Maid girl is alive, too. Hey Ange wait there is something important you need to oh tits never mind.

OH BUT AN EXPLANATION IS MADE HERE. Momoka had an entire frying pan stashed between her tits. You couldn't see it though. And between her tits would not have prevented the bullet from entering where she got shot. BUT OH WELL NOW YOU HAVE AN EXPLANATION.

You could argue that this doesn't invalidate whatever growth Ange had this episode because it still helped her to realize how dear to her her friends are, but I'd have to slap you in the face for saying it because like fucking hell it doesn't invalidate it. What is the point of killing off characters to teach a protagonist a lesson if you're just going to bring them back? Cheap drama, that's what. Either you find a way to teach Ange that lesson without the fake death or you kill these people off for real. Fake death is exactly that: fake, and any 'gains' the writer makes from it are equally as fabricated.

What the Hell, Sunrise? Can you seriously not tell one coherent mecha story this season? It's not like you have a shortage of opportunities? I mean sure, Tomino's gonna be fucking insane, but you're ripping off Gundam with Ange, you could at least have death matter. This is AGE tier shit.

ibyea

Banned
So it's been awhile since I posted about this show. I think I last posted about it for Episode 2? I don't know, but it's time to talk about Cross Ange again.

I'm not going to talk about episode 22. There's no need to go over the fact that Embryo is hilariously incompetent for a being who is supposedly all powerful. No, let's ignore that, just as we have to ignore the nine million other impossible things and focus on the episode's ending.

You see, supposedly Ange is undergoing some kind of emotional arc in this show. I won't bore you with the fact that Ange is the byproduct of a hundred million recycled Sunrise ideas or how she's basically oversexed Char Aznable. Let's pretend for a minute that this show is actually somehow original and that this arc is genuine.

So Ange has hit rock bottom, and she's about to Metal Gear Solid 4 herself in the face because, well, why not? I mean, she's been a complete failure at everything she's ever attempted in this show, she's never known or bothered to learn the truth about anything in the world, and the two people who showed her kindness in a planet of lesbian rape dragon hypocrites are now dead.

You could argue this was good for Ange's development, because it shows her that being an asshole 900% of the time is the wrong way to go, and she should've tried being nicer instead of being the arrogant bitch she's been since she first appeared on screen. But now it's too late. It puts her in a great position for growth and really could make you wonder where the show is going to go with thi-

oh no I'm sorry it looks like Tusk is alive? How? fuckin' Ninja shit maybe. He's just 'not dead' no attempt is made to explain it. He just stops being dead. He escapes an empire of people out to get him and an all knowing, all seeing, all doing foe as well as BLOWING THE FUCK UP and no attempt is made to explain it.

And rather than Ange going "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ALIVE" and "WHAT IF THIS IS ANOTHER MIND GAME?" she's like "Well shit, I better fuck you to know you're real." And Sunrise hopes those hilariously censored boobies will distract you from asking HOW THE FUCK IS THIS GUY NOT DEAD.

But hey, that's not really enough! Nope. Ange fucks her boy toy literally the entire night long, and all night he kinda forgets to mention that Maid girl is alive, too. Hey Ange wait there is something important you need to oh tits never mind.

OH BUT AN EXPLANATION IS MADE HERE. Momoka had an entire frying pan stashed between her tits. You couldn't see it though. And between her tits would not have prevented the bullet from entering where she got shot. BUT OH WELL NOW YOU HAVE AN EXPLANATION.

You could argue that this doesn't invalidate whatever growth Ange had this episode because it still helped her to realize how dear to her her friends are, but I'd have to slap you in the face for saying it because like fucking hell it doesn't invalidate it. What is the point of killing off characters to teach a protagonist a lesson if you're just going to bring them back? Cheap drama, that's what. Either you find a way to teach Ange that lesson without the fake death or you kill these people off for real. Fake death is exactly that: fake, and any 'gains' the writer makes from it are equally as fabricated.

What the Hell, Sunrise? Can you seriously not tell one coherent mecha story this season? It's not like you have a shortage of opportunities? I mean sure, Tomino's gonna be fucking insane, but you're ripping off Gundam with Ange, you could at least have death matter. This is AGE tier shit.

Man am I glad I skipped this show. Now I can see others suffer with it. XD

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 87

Right, you know the endgame is starting when the tone of the series turns darker, more serious when a bent towards the melancholy and indeed that is the case here. The Black Lady has implanted the Malefic Black Crystal into the past and its power is about to reach apex. In spite of the things I hate about this season re-viewing it and indeed reviewing it these past few months has shown me that overall, at least the Black Moon portion of R, is the superior product. To wit, this penultimate episode figured out how to properly balance the ever more serious tone with lighter moments by ditching the fucking comedy and giving the girls resolve to make plans, simple plans the next day. Even Naru gets into the act, making a increasingly rarefied appearance to have a surprisingly touching moment before the serious shit get rolling.

Meanwhile on the other side of the isle Prince Dimande is still pissed off with Wiseman who honestly handled the whole business last episode rather poorly but he still goes along with things because he still believes in the cause. ]So now that both sides have the resolve it is almost time for the final battle but first Prince Dimande decides to hypnotize and seduce and probably eventually rape Sailor Moon and in a turn of events that actually is a good showcase of how strong Usagi has grown up to this point. People say that Usagi never changes or the growth is nominal and I am hereto say that is not true. Oh sure, there are basic personality traits that never go away especially in the name of comedy. However, the Usagi that stands before the prince is not the whining and scared lite girl who needed basically all of her friends to die before she found the proper resolve that we saw last season.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that instead of a fight Sailor Moon takes a page from Naruto and engages in a bit of Talk No Jitsu in order to plead for the Prince to abandon his evil ways and it actually works, too late as it turns out as The Evil Plan is about to be completed and he has Outlive His Usefulness to Wiseman who kills him in the bloodiest scenes since Nephrite's death. Since he has redeemed himself in the eyes of the show he gets rather dignified death, more dignified then he deserves quite frankly. I liked his death in the manga better, much more pointlessly sad and cruel as befitting his actions and chracter. Still, even with the Prince dead Wiseman is revealed to be the true final boss who want to bathe the world in darkness because reasons. Honestly, they just kind of forgot to give Wiseman an actual backstory in this version. At any rate onward to the finale!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So this will be the new Mahouka?

Nah, he's not comparable to oni-sama. Though funny thing is, like Mahouka or Index, he is discriminated and called weak when in reality he's a badass.
Note: this is based on my impression reading from chapter 1-3 of the manga version.

cajunator

Banned
Yuyushiki

How did I not like this show the first time i watched it? Needa a second season pronto.

YuruYuri getting another season is solid news tho.

Yuyushiki is legit. It has some potentially really dark ideas hidden in it. If you research youll see what I mean.

I was pretty much done with Yuru Yuri around halfway through the second season so this news strikes me as meh.

Now where's my damn Love Lab season 2?

We all would like to know this.

Shit is starting to happen the episode.

Celty is still cute as ever.

I started watching Drrr recently and its honestly pretty damned entertaining. I like the style and the characters already. Celty is awesome. The only other anime thing I can think of with a Dulahan is Monster Musume,

Yuru Yuri Nachuyachumi

Season three of Yuru Yuri being announced should be a great thing. But if this is any indication of what that will be, that occasion of joy is now one of trepidation. It really shouldn't be. But this hour-long OVA was just...not...funny. It looked great, the acting was there, but the general direction had absolutely no sense of comic timing. I laughed once in the entire hour. ONCE. Akari was actually written as the main character, for chrissakes!

It was pretty harmless, in that it was a slice of life that had a handful of mildly amusing moments and a decent number of adorable moments, but as a Yuru Yuri follow up, it's awful. They had no real sense of why the show was funny in the first place and as such were in no position to keep the ball rolling. No one felt out of character, but it was like they were afraid of being too mean to any of the characters. So you get almost no Akarin Abuse, you get almost no Sakurako/Himawari bickering (they're downright pleasant to each other for the bulk of it), you get almost no Kyouko pranking anyone...it's just not Yuru Yuri. And that sucks, because these people who made this are doing season three as well.

Im not liking this at all but I will give season 3 a shot anyway cause its YuruYuri.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien 09
Seriously? Only until now you notice your
hair is super long! Man this shit.

Yeah that show made me irrationally angry.

Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls episode 8

Anyone else love how Anastastia pronounces Ranko's name?

I love how Anastasia does anything/everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom