• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

^Sorry =/

Heh, Shirobako and Death Parade were fucking phenomenal this week. Thinking that these two finish next week makes me so depressed. I don't know where Death Parade will go from the last episode, if it would be possible or not, but I would be all for a Shirobako sequel.

Death Parade, Garo, Yatterman Night and Log Horizon all finish next week. But apparently Garo has another season and a movie coming (or so says Wikipedia - the movie might be unrelated and by second season, they might mean the second cour which finishes next week. Not sure). But the others I will miss dearly.

Some great, great anime on right now.

Shin Mazinger Z 19-21

Well, I can't say I was expecting all of them to come back, but alright I guess. All these revelations about the past are pretty heavy, especially the bit about his dad. And, while I should have expected it thanks to the OP spoilers, transforming
into a giant fist is fucking hilarious.

Hilarious? You mean freaking AWESOME.

Midonin

On the subject of Garo: No, the movie will be related to the current series in some way, and by second season, I think they mean second season. Expect it in October once Goldstorm finishes its run, at the earliest.

Also, everyone should use the wait to check out one of the many toku series.

Tuck

On the subject of Garo: No, the movie will be related to the current series in some way, and by second season, I think they mean second season. Expect it in October once Goldstorm finishes its run, at the earliest.
That'd be fantastic. Show is fantastic.

Baalzebup

Shirobako 23

I don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said about this episode a few pages back, but damn if it wasn't a good episode all around. Good comedy, a very welcome retribution and finally a ray of hope to Zuka.. sniff.

Although I am glad that the next season is bringing a ton of stuff that looks promising, it's always sad to let go of what you watched for an entire season, or worse two. But it's in with the new, out with the old, or so they say.

Midonin

PriPara 37

This is the funkiest Satanic ritual I've ever seen.

Fin.

Okay, I can expand a little bit. While Rainbow Live's finale was an intimate rooftop performance mostly cementing Rinne's relationship with everyone, her departure unknown to anyone but the girls that night, this is essentially the opposite of that, turning Falulu's revival ritual into a spectacle.
And turning her into a real girl. I think I may have guessed the finale a while back, but if I did, me of three to six months ago, congrats, you have a better eye than yourself. Falulu essentially got the Pinocchio treatment, and went from a collective idea to a real person - they even removed whatever modulating effect they were using on Chinatsu Akasaki's voice, and can she freely trade tickets without blinking out of existence.

It's a touching finale - I like Rainbow Live's more due to the heightened dramatic aspects of it - but once you get past the weird idol ritual, it is a culmination of what the season has been building up to. I can't help but wonder if this Tower of Babel is what summons Mikan and Aroma unto our world, though. They just gave life.
And turned the Paradise Outfit from an Ultra Rare into a Common card. Everyone in PriPara - at least this local Japan branch - has one now.

I'd say I'm going to miss PriPara, but it's not going away. Oh, not in the least.

It's just beginning.

Defuser

When was the last time Urobuchi fully wrote something? Like, wrote the entire thing, not just the first three episodes like with Aldonoah Zero and then left the rest to others.

Madoka Rebellion? That Expelled from Paradise movie?
He was more or less busy writing the whole of Kamen Rider Gaim last year.
kamen849ukuzq.jpg

Quite dark for toku show aimed for kids with betrayals, backstabs, scheming, people being strangled, suicide, people turning into monsters or being murdered brutally. A decent show.

Clov

Midonin, all your PriPara impressions are making me jealous. I'm still stuck waiting for translations, which seem to have halted for the time being. Who knows what will even happen with season 2? I'm not confident enough in my basic understanding of Japanese to actually watch it raw, either.

All that's left to do for me is keep waiting and hope things somehow work out. I think they will one way or another, personally.

Midonin

Quite dark for toku show aimed for kids with betrayals, backstabs, scheming, people being strangled, suicide, people turning into monsters or being murdered brutally. A decent show.
What, you're not even going to mention Pierre? Or Jonouchi? Or the fact that everyone is wearing fruit? Or everything having to do with Professor Warren Statesman?

Gaim may have been gritty and gravitased as all get out, but it was also funny. And only some of the time unintentionally!

Midonin, all your PriPara impressions are making me jealous. I'm still stuck waiting for translations, which seem to have halted for the time being. Who knows what will even happen with season 2? I'm not confident enough in my basic understanding of Japanese to actually watch it raw, either.
Thank you, and I wish the subs were faster, too. The Pretty Rhythm franchise has some really interesting stories to tell. Or at least stories that I have a fun time analyzing.

Defuser

What, you're not even going to mention Pierre? Or Jonouchi? Or the fact that everyone is wearing fruit? Or everything having to do with Professor Warren Statesman?

Gaim may have been gritty and gravitased as all get out, but it was also funny. And only some of the time unintentionally!
It was funny at the beginning with kouta's failings until it went super dark with helheim, even Pierre and Jonouchi went serious at the later part, hell Jonouchi stopped being Butt Monkey after that.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shirobako 23
Predictable, but that's okay. This is great episode, and the final scene during recording section. So much FEELS. Nogame sensei is actually a cool guy. Now we understand why he is very strict with daisanjou, after getting horrible adaptation, i'm sure most creator will be wary of their next anime adaptation (not that most of them ever get 2nd anime adaptation)

Funny story finally got what he deserved. Funny story, how does it feel to eat shit.

Vecks

So I've gotten to episode 9 of Saekano now and it's been pretty funny so far. Any recommendations for similar Anime. I don't have premium Crunchy, so now I have to wait on Log Horizon and Saekano, uggh.

I'm going to start Accel World next week, but another funny one like Saekano would be great.

I can't think of something that's really similar. Also, don't know what you've already watched.

But here are some possible recommendations from Crunchyroll that I'd consider remotely similar in order of (personal) best to worst:
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
The World God Only Knows
Nisekoi
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Oreshura

madp

The Light of El Cantare

All that's left to do for me is keep waiting and hope things somehow work out. I think they will one way or another, personally.

Maybe Midonin should be the hero to sub S2.
iqRScdf.gif

Syrinx

Shirobako 23

Director is a fucking boss. And the editor had his ass told! Boom!

Ali at the end really was something special.

Cornbread78

I can't think of something that's really similar. Also, don't know what you've already watched.

But here are some possible recommendations from Crunchyroll that I'd consider remotely similar in order of (personal) best to worst:
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
The World God Only Knows
Nisekoi
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Oreshura

Very nice, I'll take a peek at those. Lots of new experiences the last couple weeks with anime for me, lol.

Conan-san

He wrote two episodes, the first and last. I mean yeah the story outline is his, but that's part of the point of this discussion about how he's been doing more of that sort of thing rather than writing an entire series like he did with Madoka. Who can blame him though. Get paid for less work and get your fellow Nitroplus writers paid too? Sounds like a good deal.
Untill something like Alahnoha Zero happens. Then we have an issue.

TUSR

Banned
i always thought the jets in shirobako OP2 represented the girls and their careers
with zuka's stumbling then recovering
<- ep23 spoiler

Shirobako 23
Reading all the crazy praise for this beforehand made me more than a bit wary that it wouldn't live up to it and that the expectations would hinder my ability to enjoy it. But nope, it was as great as everyone said.

Thoraxes

A Symphogear, another Gatchaman crowds, and another season of Illya.

Reminds me of the summer I first started posting on AnimeGAF regularly.

I think summer is going to give winter a run for its money at this rate.
Isn't that just the anime poster for one of the covers back then? That is no loli Lala.

There's no curves in that pic so I kinda assumed. But I think it should make it through to that arc anyways.
Why haven't I heard about this!?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...ison-school-tv-anime-slated-for-summer/.85599

I first saw it on twitter though.

Theonik

There's like no consistency in the judgement made over where someone is sent.
There's absolutely no reason Harada would be sent to the void based on everything we've seen, nor was there any indication souls could be brought back from the void. Way to introduce something super important in the second to last episode.
They introduced it on episode 2.
When Decim made a mistake, there was a discussion about it only being for 2 months.

Thoraxes

I'd consider myself a proud peddler of Ikuhara pills to unsuspecting innocents and I have to admit that even I found the first episode or two of Yuri Kuma Arashi just a tad bit inscrutable. This may very well turn out to be intentional, and you are absolutely right that Ikuni's signature works (all three of them) always reveal greater depths upon rewatch, but on first pass it stands in quite a contrast with the misleadingly simple and innocuous first episode of Utena or the immediately beautiful and appealing first episode of Penguin Drum.

That said, over the course of the three episodes I watched last night, the intriguing qualities and manic tone of the show began to take shape as something more definite and interesting. I'm not ready to call it something great yet, but I can imagine that fascinating depositions of his favorite themes and motifs - the nature of interpersonal love and its limits, the failures of adults in creating a suitable world to pass on to their children, the oppression and the struggles of societal outliers, self-determination, incest - will show up at some point, if they haven't already, and that's an exciting prospect whether the final outcome is flawed or whatnot.

On one, more obvious level, the show is clearly interested in saying something about the perception of homosexuality in Japan, with the bears serving as a metaphor for the alternately cute (yuri) and threatening (real lyfe) ways in which culture views them depending on circumstance, while the Judgemens (THE MENS) are tasked with judging lesbianism on whether it is suitably sexy and cool. This is why there's a stock yandere and a pervy opening and copious references to lilies, an otherwise unremarkable flower, but there's obviously gonna have to be some elaboration and expansion on this point over the course of twelve episodes. I will give it time to, ah, bloom as I sit over here trying to figure out what bullets and birds and spiral stairs (!!) are supposed to mean.

(You mention Psycho as a touchpoint for the show, but I had my own nerdy moment of realization when the confluence of a mysterious, high-ceilinged school with distinctive red walls and the chanting of words to a cacophonous soundtrack gave me Suspiria vibes. It turns out that I wasn't alone and this particular scene wasn't solitary; I just hadn't noticed it before. An impressionist horror film like Suspiria seems an odd choice for such a strong, if obscure, reference, although it is about a mysterious school with a predatory secret council and a penchance for murdering the new students.)

All very well said. I look forward to seeing more of your insights the further in you get!

Two pieces of more subtle visual symbolism I really liked are the bird/lily cage pattern that (I believe) is first introduced in episode 2 in the auditorium (there's a word for this, but it's basically where the shadows and light have two different images, but only look like one or the other depending on how you focus on them) which only doesn't appear over specific characters, and the birdcage-stairs spiral staircase (yes, birdcage stairs are real, and have to do with the spindles which is how they get their names), with the changing direction for the bird stair trim on the sides depending on which characters are moving up or down them. They're all little subtle symbolic touches on some of the things you've pointed out, but i'm not sure if you noticed them or not, so I figured I would point out a couple of those minor details.

Then there's the triangles and ties to social justice movements (I think i'm using this term correctly?) and their representative colors, too. Like a pink triangle surrounded by green.

I like your mention on Suspiria too (there's a ton of that in there as well)! There's a lot of imagery from various horror inspiriations (See the carpet pattern from The Shining) that went into Kureha's house and room, with even the framing of shots mirroring those of the respective films. There's the paintings that have real life ties, and even some things that are related to the Sankebetsu brown bear incident. Even the Oniisama e and Utena references are great too!

And it's just the tip in terms of things people have found as of now. I'm sure there's even more i've missed over these past episodes. I just really like the amount of things in there that are left for the viewer to discover. I feel like it really enriches the experience for me when I can bring in my knowledge of unrelated subjects and apply it to the show to get a deeper understanding of the messaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom