• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRMN

Your Lie in April-22 [fin]Well one clear theme I got from the show though is that Japan really needs to create better mental health services and stop degrading people who clearly need them.

You know as well as I do that Japan is not the only nation that creates media that leaves mental health problems untreated for the sake of drama.

phaze

So i'm on the eighth episode of Monster, is it wrong to be cheering for Johan?

No, cheering for a serial killer that just
murdered adoptive parents of his own sister
is considered perfectly normal.

Man, I haven't gone past first two episodes of You Lie in April but reading those ending impression, (end spoilers)
I'm surprised they killed off the blond girl, I knew she was sick or something but didn't think they would go that far. So someone spoil me here, does that mean the childhood friend "won" ?

Jarmel

Banned
Aldnoah Zero-23
iPjeo0ngtgfNG.jpg

e_i

VALKYRIE DRIVE has girls with big breasts who power up by kissing each other and then beating the shit out each other? I'M THERE!

Ah, I see, it's like a yuri version of Soul Eater.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
All of you talk about anime too much lol. Its very difficult to keep up with all of the posts ;_;

VALKYRIE DRIVE has girls with big breasts who power up by kissing each other and then beating the shit out each other? I'M THERE!

For a second I thought this was Valvrave... I got scarred from that show to the point of dropping it midway.

Bonjour♪Koiaji Pâtisserie 24 (end) [BONKOI]

Aw I will miss this anime, we always need cooking for anime and this was just as amazing as Yumerio Pattissierre.

Ryou kun and Gil-sensei were the best two. 9/10

Taruranto

The Water Guns are a metaphor for something else #14

This was actually better than some drama episode of S1 and 2. Also it make me realize that Binan is actually much better. (Except for the fanservice, I guess...)

duckroll

Don't forget the huge blockbuster series Rage of Bahamut Genesis! CyGames liked the result so much that they've officially established an anime production division within their company!

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 08

In which Haruka pulls an all-nighter to get her grades in shape so she can attend a school party, which will be happening next week. She's still kinda spacey, but in a charming way. I also like how Miss Shamour took Haruharu to the domain where Meganee Akai had been sealed before being released in PriPara and becoming the god of her own domain. Be very careful in that dimension. Don't mess with Haruka when she's low on sleep. I don't think she quite learned "Work smarter, not harder", but she did learn to work more dedicatedly.

I started Yahari Ore no Seishun earlier today for the second season coming up in spring.
Ended up blasting through it. What a great show. Hachiman just became one of my favorite main characters. I love his cynical attitude and monologues, makes me want to watch Hyouka again. Excited for S2!

I started Yahari Ore no Seishun earlier today for the second season coming up in spring.
Ended up blasting through it. What a great show. Hachiman just became one of my favorite main characters. I love his cynical attitude and monologues, makes me want to watch Hyouka again. Excited for S2!

I could hardly make it through that monologue and would've liked to punch him in the face. I've heard in other places how the guy kind of represents this neckbard 'women-are-meanies' mentality but people seem to actually like his whining and take it as something meaningful.

Now I dropped the show pretty much 6 episodes in (and then just skimmed through it in no time) because I couldn't take these poorly written characters seriously (how could I when the show is throwing 'traps' at me), but I never for a second bought his so-claimed loner character. In those few episodes I saw he had little trouble making friends and interacting with them relatively normally. I'm constantly told he's this anti-social loner but what I'm actually shown feels nothing like that.

I also thought it was ridiculous how much they forced his good-heartedness and relationship to that one girl with this backstory concerning the first day of school.
"He saved your dog from getting run over and had to go to the hospital. What a coincidence, now we can add some further drama." Then he has another one of his poorly written "you only like me because ..." rants.

Dunno why I'm so salty though, I should go to bed. Dota does that to you.

Can't watch this weeks set of anime on the home theater -shudder- dang visiting brothers sleeping baby. IS THIS WHAT GROWING UP IS LIKE!?! No fighting games cause the arcade stick is too loud, no anime/Kamen Rider because explosions and screaming is to loud!? BUT DAMN SESAME STREET IN 1080P ON MY 55INCH IS ALLOWED.

I DONT WANT TO GROW UP!!!!

I'm 26...

Dog Days S3 11

I was expecting something amazing for the healing song at the end, but all I got was "lalalalalala".
They can still salvage that embarassing moment by making milfie and aria do a duet next episode.

Seems like milfie can't sing much without her prep time.
AssClass 10

Is that what appears to be plot I see?
Expect a lot of character develloppement

Don't forget the huge blockbuster series Rage of Bahamut Genesis! CyGames liked the result so much that they've officially established an anime production division within their company!

That's good. Can we expect more rage of bahamut i guess ? because there is a lot of characters they haven't introduced yet in that world

Log Horizon S2 E24

Only 1 more episode of Log Horizon until a who knows when season 3? :'[

I feel like Shiro's hesitation/doubt angle could have been handled better though I did enjoy it. Felt a bit rushed as it was introduced and resolved in this episode, good as an idea not so much in it's execution.

Jarmel

Banned
I could hardly make it through that monologue and would've liked to punch him in the face. I've heard in other places how the guy kind of represents this neckbard 'women-are-meanies' mentality but people seem to actually like his whining and take it as something meaningful.

Now I dropped the show pretty much 6 episodes in (and then just skimmed through it in no time) because I couldn't take these poorly written characters seriously (how could I when the show is throwing 'traps' at me), but I never for a second bought his so-claimed loner character. In those few episodes I saw he had little trouble making friends and interacting with them relatively normally. I'm constantly told he's this anti-social loner but what I'm actually shown feels nothing like that.

I also thought it was ridiculous how much they forced his good-heartedness and relationship to that one girl with this backstory concerning the first day of school.
"He saved your dog from getting run over and had to go to the hospital. What a coincidence, now we can add some further drama." Then he has another one of his poorly written "you only like me because ..." rants.

Dunno why I'm so salty though, I should go to bed. Dota does that to you.

Well I disagree with a lot of that. Hachiman being a loner because of his personality, in that he wants to be alone due to past trauma is very much a real thing. He could very easily be popular if he was nicer or tried to interact with others more but due to past trauma with some cunts when he was younger, he's emotionally stunted. That line about "you only like me because ..." that you say is poorly written, is absolutely not. It's a perfect reflection of how twisted he sees the events around him.

Him being in the hospital was a great reason as to why he didn't make friends at his new school as by the time he got out, cliques were already formed. If you're not there from the getgo, it's very hard to break into a circle. It also justifies Yui's initial interest in Hachiman.

duckroll

That's good. Can we expect more rage of bahamut i guess ? because there is a lot of characters they haven't introduced yet in that world

I don't know, but I believe the director has expressed interest in doing another season, and if CyGames is willing to pay it'll probably happen. Then again, people are still waiting for T&B S2... so who knows. :p

Maybe they'll make a Granblue Fantasy instead, and everyone can pretend that we finally have a "real" FF anime: http://granbluefantasy.jp/

KanameYuuki

JoJo 20

T~T RIP in peace Caesar, Zeppeli's curse always sacrificing themselves to protect someone else, and gotta love Wamuu, he is a honorable warrior.

That wall with those precious stones was so damn smart using greed to catch humans as if they were flies

Tuck

Log Horizon S2 E24

Only 1 more episode of Log Horizon until a who knows when season 3? :'[

I feel like Shiro's hesitation/doubt angle could have been handled better though I did enjoy it. Felt a bit rushed as it was introduced and resolved in this episode, good as an idea not so much in it's execution.

Agreed. Felt a bit... jarring/out of no where. I saw what theyw ere trying to do, but I don't think it was fully successful.

Decent episode besides that, though the ridiculously low budget of the show makes actiony episodes like this one much less good than they could be.

Frog-fu

Banned
Durarara!!x2 Shō episode 11

Pretty much a perfect episode, which is something I've come to expect from this show and that's not something I can say for many anime I've watched. Honestly, between the gang warfare, Russians assassins and superhumans all duking it out, what isn't there to love? It's just a perfect storm, the type of chaos that's so zany and exciting that I keep wanting more.

Agreed. Felt a bit... jarring/out of no where. I saw what theyw ere trying to do, but I don't think it was fully successful.

Decent episode besides that, though the ridiculously low budget of the show makes actiony episodes like this one much less good than they could be.

Shiroe does need someone to push him in the right direction when he has to make a decision that could affect more than just him .

You saw that side of him before he made the concil , when he learned that memories were the price for death and in other situations.. it's not like he wasn't hesitating a lot since the last 2 eps.

Rolling GIrls 10-11

The story is still pretty bad, but at least it looks nice now. Too bad it couldn't maintain that level of quality all throughout the show.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well I disagree with a lot of that. Hachiman being a loner because of his personality, in that he wants to be alone due to past trauma is very much a real thing. He could very easily be popular if he was nicer or tried to interact with others more but due to past trauma with some cunts when he was younger, he's emotionally stunted. That line about "you only like me because ..." that you say is poorly written, is absolutely not. It's a perfect reflection of how twisted he sees the events around him.

Him being in the hospital was a great reason as to why he didn't make friends at his new school as by the time he got out, cliques were already formed. If you're not there from the getgo, it's very hard to break into a circle. It also justifies Yui's initial interest in Hachiman.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

KanameYuuki

Everyone on my school hated Arjuna, that's why I'm always so preemptive with it haha.

If you are comparing Parasyte with Arjuna then I'm going to watch it tomorrow.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Glee is a good example of how you can write absolutely everything poorly and drive your project into the ground in the process, though, which is as much to say it's another Ryan Murphy show. :p I don't know what Sakura Trick is, but I had never thought of YKA as particularly concerned with addressing subjective queer experiences; after all, save for perhaps Kureha and Sumika, whose flashbacks seem to be treated tenderly and genuinely enough, all of the characters have been played purely as 'types' thus far.

Maybe it's because they're bears, maybe because the show is really just deeply flawed and will ultimately keep these shallow characterizations - I can't really say, beyond my general intuition based on past experiences that Ikuhara likes to keep his cards close to his chest on these matters. Anthy is the most complex and interesting character in Utena, with her personal liberation serving as a central arc for the show, but you wouldn't know either of those things based on the first cour of the show - in which, quite intentionally, she is treated literally and thematically as a passive object of desire for & by the other characters. So, I dunno.

I think perhaps being forced to do a shorter show is keeping Yuri Bears tighter in terms of its plotting, which is why I find it way more interesting a show than Penguindrum, but I still don't think it's actually about anything other than story beats happening. I think the highly suggestive (well, explicit without being explicit really), imagery distracts from that because - much like the penguin transformations in the first part of Penguindrum, it didn't really amount to anything except to titillate. I'm at a point where I don't necessarily know if the characters have to even be female for this story to work.

Thoraxes

I think perhaps being forced to do a shorter show is keeping Yuri Bears tighter in terms of its plotting, which is why I find it way more interesting a show than Penguindrum, but I still don't think it's actually about anything other than story beats happening. I think the highly suggestive (well, explicit without being explicit really), imagery distracts from that because - much like the penguin transformations in the first part of Penguindrum, it didn't really amount to anything except to titillate. I'm at a point where I don't necessarily know if the characters have to even be female for this story to work.

I guess it could be about gay men too.
I began to notice the subtle particulars of the staircase around the third episode, when the fangirl inside of me managed to stop being excited/distracted by the mere possibility of an Utena reference. I'm not sure I've figured out their role yet, but it's worth mentioning that bird symbolism was central to Utena (in its own reference to Demian) and, naturally, Penguin Drum. And, I only noticed this because I started rewatching episode 1, but the first shot of the entire series is of birds, initially framed by the bear logo.

I'm embarrassed to say that I caught none of the horror references outside of Suspiria, but I'm fascinated by what those and the allusion to an actual real-life bear attack mean for the tone of the show. Are we meant to think of it as horrific, if not now then by the time it finishes? Curious. The tone feels fairly light to me so far.

Two more things I forgot to mention- I noticed teacher lady "filing away" her students in a giant series of shelves, in what I assume is a callback to coffins in the Black Rose arc of Utena. And again, we have an adult with strange disregard for the seemingly horrible fate of children, bears and otherwise.

All very nice insights. And yes, you are right about episode 4 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom