• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
only good thing to come from chuu2 was mizu asato's weird doujin

e: for once gaf gets it right

CAsYIavVAAAo7UH.jpg:large

Baalzebup

Cross Ange 24

Words fail me:

Hehaha, perfect array of screenies :D

Yeeees, the godliness of the one true show continues. Yet again we have cheapo animation (dat 5 different frames for a singing face was golden), weird music choices and a madhouse of issues.
I also think the most hilarious thing about the show now is how Embryo is like, poorly photoshopped onto the mech he rides on. Like, go to 21:06 timestamp in this episode. Look at that.
This too.

Lol, I totally fucked your "wife" nerd. Deal with it. But really, for 3 days? Momoka is sure a faithful servant to have food ready after that kind of a marathon. Salamandinay took quite a while to sing-power up the space-time convergence cannon. I guess Ange's true power is superb casting time :p

The previews continue to be awesome.

Mr.Jeff

Hmmmmm. I want this to be good but I'm really not sure how it'll go. That synopsis a while back did it a bit of a disservice though. For anyone interested the second blonde elf
the introduces themselves is a boy

OHHhhhhhhhhh

Gaf will love this...
I've read the stuff that was translated online and this was so good.

I really didn't expect an anime so soon.
It's still being translated; one new section of novel each Saturday. From the PV it looks like there's 8 volumes so far?
Not sure how it'll deal with the vast amount of introspective dialog though.
(Thanks to milamber for making me read it!)

Deadly

Cross Ange 24I also think the most hilarious thing about the show now is how Embryo is like, poorly photoshopped onto the mech he rides on. Like, go to 21:06 timestamp in this episode. Look at that.
I wasn't paying much attention so I went to recheck this but wow this is some hilarious shit hahahaha

CorvoSol

Cross Ange 24

I was going to make for you all a wonderful post about Patlabor: The New File's use of restraint in romantic comedy, but instead I need to comment on this.

Has anybody else noticed how, setting aside the horrible sexual exploitation, the deplorably, creatively bankrupt writing and the abhorrent CGI robots in this series, it's still not entertaining to watch for the fights?

Like, Let's look at Gundam Build Fighters Try and Reconguista in G, Sunrise's other mecha shows for the season. Even though the plots have both kinda fallen apart, the fights are still worth watching. And you might argue that's owed to them being 2D, but I think it has more to do with the fact that the fights don't all fall into a ritualistic pattern.

As in I feel like every fight in Cross Ange is exactly the same visually. The Ragna Mails all strike the same poses before aiming their guns or swinging their swords. There's this non-stop need for the two mechs to spin in a circle, then come and clash together. They fire three or four rounds, then swing swords. It's just all so rote. By comparison, Reconguista's battles are more like elaborate dances and Try Fighters, even at its most bullshit, is doing more than -just- the same four steps.

Add to it the fact that at this point in the series every mech is a carbon copy of the Freedom and it all just begins to look bland. I mean, I hate hate HATE Mobile Armor, I do, but for God's sake when a 1979 anime manages to have more variety of combat than you do despite decades of advancements and financial gains for your fucking company maybe you need to sit the fuck down and ask what the fuck it is you're still doing in this business.

Deadly

Cross Ange 24

I was going to make for you all a wonderful post about Patlabor: The New File's use of restraint in romantic comedy, but instead I need to comment on this.

Has anybody else noticed how, setting aside the horrible sexual exploitation, the deplorably, creatively bankrupt writing and the abhorrent CGI robots in this series, it's still not entertaining to watch for the fights?

Like, Let's look at Gundam Build Fighters Try and Reconguista in G, Sunrise's other mecha shows for the season. Even though the plots have both kinda fallen apart, the fights are still worth watching. And you might argue that's owed to them being 2D, but I think it has more to do with the fact that the fights don't all fall into a ritualistic pattern.

As in I feel like every fight in Cross Ange is exactly the same visually. The Ragna Mails all strike the same poses before aiming their guns or swinging their swords. There's this non-stop need for the two mechs to spin in a circle, then come and clash together. They fire three or four rounds, then swing swords. It's just all so rote. By comparison, Reconguista's battles are more like elaborate dances and Try Fighters, even at its most bullshit, is doing more than -just- the same four steps.

Add to it the fact that at this point in the series every mech is a carbon copy of the Freedom and it all just begins to look bland. I mean, I hate hate HATE Mobile Armor, I do, but for God's sake when a 1979 anime manages to have more variety of combat than you do despite decades of advancements and financial gains for your fucking company maybe you need to sit the fuck down and ask what the fuck it is you're still doing in this business.
The fights are straight out of Gundam Seed Destiny like 90% of the time.

Hellraider

I started that chunibyo show, it's pretty bad but looks good. Thanks kyoani.

First season was a pretty damn good comedy show for the most of it. At some point someone had the amazing idea of turning it into a stupid teenage forced as fuck drama. Season two sadly continued with that.

CorvoSol

The fights are straight out of Gundam Seed Destiny like 90% of the time.

I was thinking that, too, but I feel like even SEED Destiny had more variety. Really it feels like the fights are all the same exact fight from Gundam SEED Destiny. Probably the one where Shinn defeats Kira for maximum bullshit.

JCG

Ugh, I can't even spell a show's name.

Anyways, Cross Ange is great, especially since some people take it seriously :D https://twitter.com/JesuOtaku/status/577226079225548800

I tend to only rarely agree with her, but I think she's entirely within her rights to find the show disgusting in its messages and implications about gender. I don't think "not taking it seriously" suddenly makes a show as crass as this one any less insulting to those who are sensitive about those issues. In fact, you could argue it makes everything more problematic precisely because of using them as laughing matter. It might even be funny, like certain racist jokes, but still remains in very poor taste.

Being cross is a thing.

Almost nobody uses that word for that attribute though.

Hmm actually looked it up now and yeh, seems to be a thing. Though I was mostly referring to such blatant 4th wall breaking.

I tend to only rarely agree with her, but I think she's entirely within her rights to find the show disgusting in its messages and implications about gender. I don't think "not taking it seriously" suddenly makes a show as crass as this one any less insulting to those who are sensitive about those issues. In fact, you could argue it makes everything more problematic precisely because of using them as laughing matter. It might even be funny, like certain racist jokes, but still remains in very poor taste.

I can see that point though I'd still say the more insidious and problematic shows are those where the messages aren't as overt. For example, I think Sword Art Online and Clannad have absolutely terrible representation of women and these shows are widely loved by parts of the anime demographic. I don't even want to know how many Clannad fans would like to be this nice guy fixing girls problems and being rewarded by affection, despite these girls being portrayed as mentally reclined compared to the male cast. Coming from Katawa Shoujo, which features actual well written characters and whose 'girls' play their part in the relationship, to Clannad where some nice Gary Stu fixes the girls problems all by himself, for example by fucking repairing a backyard for no other reason than being awesome, it's ludicrous. That people actually have 'waifu talks' about these soulless, moe cardboards...sigh.

Vito

Banned

You sound like you work for the BBC.

Oh as a reader of overlord this did get me hyped.

Hmmmmm. I want this to be good but I'm really not sure how it'll go. That synopsis a while back did it a bit of a disservice though. For anyone interested the second blonde elf
the introduces themselves is a boy

It's still being translated; one new section of novel each Saturday. From the PV it looks like there's 8 volumes so far?
Not sure how it'll deal with the vast amount of introspective dialog though.
(Thanks to milamber for making me read it!)

Some people don't understand properly the setting of overlord , they think it's a "trapped in MMO" anime when it's not , it's a straight fantasy anime.
They also don't realise that the MC is already at the start at the very top of the food chain so much that a big part of the story revolve around his retainers and their behavior.

It's an anime i can recommand to anime who seek to see something different . It's also void of pandering,weird nonsense that has become the norm ( for better or worse ) in LN
No incest, no silly harem antics , no stupid powerlevels or asspull bullshits during the fights. As much as i can enjoy this , overlord doesn't have this sh*t .. it's 100% pure fantasy anime. If the anime team doesn't screw up , you will see a lot of world building

I freaking can't wait

Jintor

Peeps whine about the TTGL ending (well epilogue ending really) but I felt it was perfectly in line with the series as a whole

i guess it's a little out of place in a 'WE'LL DRILL THROUGH THE HEAVENS TO KICK YOUR ASS' anime but it always made sense to me

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Peeps whine about the TTGL ending (well epilogue ending really) but I felt it was perfectly in line with the series as a whole

i guess it's a little out of place in a 'WE'LL DRILL THROUGH THE HEAVENS TO KICK YOUR ASS' anime but it always made sense to me

It made sense and was logical from a storyline perspective. That being said it is also a huge kick in the balls to the viewing audience emotionally and kind of invalidates the reason for questing in the first place. Basically nobody was asking TTGL to do melancholy and bittersweet, that is not playing to the strengths of the show.

Jintor

i know from an emotional perspective it's contrary to TTGL's usual drive-forward solve-everything-with-overwhelming-force nature but that's kind of the point of spiral nemesis in the first place I suppose. Peeps never seem to get that. I haven't watched movie 2 though so maybe they do a total runback on it and I have no idea really

phaze

I don't mind the tone of the ending, I'll usually take bitter or bitter sweet endings over happy ones but I'm not a fan of how they got there,. It felt forced and contrived.
Nia suddenly becoming Anti-Spiral plant never made much sense to me, so when they used that to get rid of her, I wasn't impressed. Simon's choice of living as a hobo because of "reasons" also rubbed me the wrong way

Mr.Jeff

Some people don't understand properly the setting of overlord , they think it's a "trapped in MMO" anime when it's not , it's a straight fantasy anime.
They also don't realise that the MC is already at the start at the very top of the food chain so much that a big part of the story revolve around his retainers and their behavior.

It's an anime i can recommand to anime who seek to see something different . It's also void of pandering,weird nonsense that has become the norm ( for better or worse ) in LN
No incest, no silly harem antics , no stupid powerlevels or asspull bullshits during the fights. As much as i can enjoy this , overlord doesn't have this sh*t .. it's 100% pure fantasy anime. If the anime team doesn't screw up , you will see a lot of world building

I freaking can't wait
Well if you think of it as the same starting point as Log Horizon, you wouldn't be entirely wrong; jaded high level player becomes stuck in a world with the MMO mechanics and NPCs coming to life but Momonga's motivations are different from Shiroe in that he's not all that bothered about going home. In fact fairly quickly he becomes resolved to staying there.

I'd disagree slightly about the powerlevels and pandering. The npcs were characters that were created because of pandering but if you mean that nothing really comes of it with the main character, you'd be right.
As for the powerlevels; there is still some of it with relation to magic especially but it largely gets boiled away since Momonga's clearly established at the top of the chain.

Like I mentioned though, Momonga's a very introspective character so I wonder if they'll just have a lot of monologues throughout.

I too hated the last 5-6 minutes of TTGL. I wouldnt say it ruined the show for me but it really pissed me off and left a sour taste.

I havent seen the movies yet. I saw some clips on YT where it looks like they redid the final battle for it. Looked pretty awesome.

If by great you mean a continued spread of a blight slowly but surely poisoning the genre to its utter ruin then sure.

Cross Ange is barely even in the genre you're talking about. The mecha are unimportant and most of the time they are just platforms for characters to have conversations on. I can't image there is a single soul out there watching Cross Ange for the mecha action.

If by great you mean a continued spread of a blight slowly but surely poisoning the genre to its utter ruin then sure.

Basielus just replied when I was pressing reply, but I will say the same.
I barely consider Cross Ange as a "mech" series. It has mechs in it, but the series isn't really about them nor the fights done with them. They could be normal planes, or even you could modify the story to do without them totally, and it would be fine.

/XX/

Shirobako is actually planned to be a 4 cour show?

If so, bring it.
What we know from information present at the booklet included on volume 3 of the digital disc release for SHIROBAKO is that a 4-'cour' series was considered by the project team during the planning stages, early from even pre-production.

It could still happen (due to its success, mainly) but much of the content and ideas to explore by the staff were probably already condensed on what they have produced until now. They can always devise much more, though... and contingency plans for future seasons are usually made too!

Jex

Cross Ange 24

But you see, in Cross Ange, all the fights are really just metaphors for characters working out issues within themselves, as well as with other people. It's not really "action" but "drama".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yoru no Yatterman Episode 11:

Even given the fact that this is a post-modern re-imagining of a classic Tatsunoko franchise this episode got a little too metatextual for my tastes at the beginning. That being said another solid episode from what has been honestly the unsung gem of the season.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Yeah, i like TTGL ending. It really fit with the theme,
and Simon decision to become hobo is to ensure that the role passed on to the younger generation and preventing himself to become another lord genome.

Midonin

Graffiti 11

I liked the two short stories format for this episode - and Shiina got to give a little bit more of herself. Wonder what the deal with Ryou's parents is. She lives a fairly middle-class Japanese life, and yet their jobs seem very important. Maybe they make a cameo somewhere down the line? It's not unheard of for Kirara.

Cross Ange 24/Maria 11/Yatterman Night 11

I'm grouping all of these together because, seeing them back to back, one can't help but notice certain themes. Blonde heroines and their various views on war and, at least in the case of the first two, sex. And in the case of the first and third, crazy megalomaniacal beings and mecha. Maria and Leopard want peace, Ange wants to end this war so she can fight her own, Maria wants sex to be something that comes with love - and partially as a way to prove the heavens wrong - while Ange never actually spoke about her own actions, leaving that to... Tusk. That was kinda uncomfortable. And Embryo is much less likely to break the fourth wall and play classic 70s anime than Dokurobey. (Or Skullduggerstein?)

There's enough in here to make an essay out of it, which if I feel motivated enough, I may actually try to do.

duckroll

What was the last original thing Yuasa worked on before Kick-Heart? Kaiba? Feels like he's been doing adaptations and episodes on other shows for ages now.

CorvoSol

Cross Ange is barely even in the genre you're talking about. The mecha are unimportant and most of the time they are just platforms for characters to have conversations on. I can't image there is a single soul out there watching Cross Ange for the mecha action.

I know. Early on the fights barely appeared on screen at all.

Basielus just replied when I was pressing reply, but I will say the same.
I barely consider Cross Ange as a "mech" series. It has mechs in it, but the series isn't really about them nor the fights done with them. They could be normal planes, or even you could modify the story to do without them totally, and it would be fine.

I saw an anime like that one time. It was a lot better than this one.

But you see, in Cross Ange, all the fights are really just metaphors for characters working out issues within themselves, as well as with other people. It's not really "action" but "drama".

But fights as a means of expression is like, half of giant robots as a genre.

I hate cross ange.

It really is a blight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom