• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I should get back on this and the TV show. Goto is one of the most based characters I've ever seen and one of my favs.

Tried to watch the TV show after finishing the movie storyline but after the first 3 ep the drop in production value (unfair comparing it to movies but oh well) and the repeated story kinda bummed me out. I should give it another chance.

See, I haven't watched the movie continuity yet, the TV series is my first brush with Patlabor, so production values aren't seen as diminished yet. Given the way I've been watching shows lately (old ass Super Robot shows, 80s gritty mecha anime, 90s patlabor and Sailor Moon) I kinda actually feel like I've been watching anime slowly get better and better looking.

I mean it's really hard to say that this:

CWSEaCc.gif

is better animated than this:

dKDNwYD.gif

you know?

DiGiKerot

I had a question....there was an anime movie I saw about 20ish years ago, back when the Scifi channel would run an anime movie on Saturday morning.

It had an AI that humans created eliminating humanity and there was a half human/half machine guy as the protagonist. He couldn't had vague memories of his human life, but he was mostly machine like in his lack of emotion. The AI's leader was a machine general that kinda reminded me of M. Bison.

I know this might be a little vague, but can anyone identify the name of the anime? Remembered it a couple days ago and have been racking my brain trying to figure it out, did some google searches but that didn't help.

Figure if no one here has any idea, I'm just giving up.

I dunno, MD Geist maybe?

Shin Mazinger Z 23

New upgrades for everyone! But walking straight into a trap is kind of...

Shin Mazinger Z 24

Surprise, surprise, the trap turned out to be a trap. I don't quite remember episode 1, but it looks like it's approaching it.

Shin Mazinger Z 25

Alright, so it's back to episode one now. Holy shit, that's a fucking huge Mazinger Army.

Shin Mazinger Z 26

This entire fucking episode. Holy shit. Fucking HUNDRED ROCKET PUNCH BARRAGE. And I fucking love it when they play the first opening during the final fight, especially during that last BIG BANG PUNCH.

And fucking Ashura with the double ruse. Did it really just end on that?

Yep. It sure did. And unfortunately there's no sequel yet. Not until Imagawa decides to make Shin Great Mazinger.

If you want some sense of closure on what happened, you could watch Mazinkaiser V.S. The Great General of Darkness. But keep in mind that the continuity is not the same as Shin Mazinger, and you'll find that several characters from Shin Mazinger are missing and there's some new characters you won't recognize.

That and Mazinkaiser's freaking awesome as well.

Also, sorry I haven't been able to watch Horizon lately. I've had like, no time for anime this past week, haha. I'll definitely make it a priority when I have time though.

e_i

Murcielago manga

Damn this a fun manga. Basically Dexter with a really, really horny lesbian lead. The manga even opens with
her scissoring her lover.

Cornbread78

OK GAF, I got caught up on Log Horizon and Cross Ange, and I can;t find my "list" from a few weeks ago, so what should I start watching this afternoon?

Looking for something with powerful relationships and/or adult themes: Love, sex, hate, jeleousy, bring on the circle of emotions...

Is there a cross between Saekano and Cross Ange out there, but with more relationship building? Watching on Crunchyroll

Puruzi

Banned
OK GAF, I got caught up on Log Horizon and Cross Ange, and I can;t find my "list" from a few weeks ago, so what should I start watching this afternoon?

Looking for something with powerful relationships and/or adult themes: Love, sex, hate, jeleousy, bring on the circle of emotions...

Sakura Trick

kek

phaze

Is there a cross between Saekano and Cross Ange out there, but with more relationship building?

School Days has all that and more.

Should still be on Crunchyroll.

Baalzebup

School Days has all that and more.

Should still be on Crunchyroll.

For fucks sake, Anime-GAF... there are limits to the depravity that one should sink to and School days is far beyond the event horizon. Not that I didn't see this coming or anything.

I bet someone will be recommending School Days to him next, as it has been mentioned a few times just recently (Cornbread78, please don't look it up any time soon. It is just plain fucking bad. Especially since you like love stories. You don't *really* need to know the history of the Nice Boat -meme).

Giving this one a shot now.

Please don't. Seriously.

Saudades

That's also one of the reason why I loved watching it the other way. Going from the TV series (which make no mistake, I had no qualms with the animation whatsoever, in fact I loved it and prefer it to the animation of today) to the films and seeing the characters look a bit different and high quality (as was the case with animated films back then, again, compared to today's animated films outside of Ghibli and a few artsy shorts and such) as really cool.

Do give it a chance, I'm obviously biased but for good reason. No show comes close to it in my opinion, not then and not now.

Yeah I guess I screwed up a bit by watching the movie continuity first. Although I did say once that while I initially planned to only watch the movie continuity because the TV series is so long (and the reason I got interested in Patlabor in the first place is because of this webm from the opening of Movie 2), after finishing the movies I was so enchanted with this lovable cast that I simply want to see more of them.
I will try to get back on it, thanks for the encouragement.

Given the way I've been watching shows lately (old ass Super Robot shows, 80s gritty mecha anime, 90s patlabor and Sailor Moon) I kinda actually feel like I've been watching anime slowly get better and better looking.

I mean it's really hard to say that this:

is better animated than this:

you know?
Well if you put it that way I guess I can see why.
Though that first gif reminds me of the mock fights in ep 2 of Patlabor TV where they loops the shots of the Patlabors attacking each other kinda just like that. Looks heluva lot better than that gif of course, but still.

Cornbread78

For fucks sake, Anime-GAF... there are limits to the depravity that one should sink to and School days is far beyond the event horizon. Not that I didn't see this coming or anything.

Please don't. Seriously.

LOL, $hit, I forgot all about that post.... It is starting off so innoscently though, lol.

phaze

Please don't. Seriously.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\.

LOL, $hit, I forgot all about that post.... It is starting off so innoscently though, lol.

For full disclosure, no School Days is not anywhere near being a good show but then neither are Saekano or Cross Ange. Given your requirements and shows you liked so far, I don't think it's totally impossible for you to find some enjoyment in it. Though I would implore to you watch some more of the well regarded shows.

Here's your earlier post with the list.
Yeah, I can understand the complaints, I got lost at tmes as well, and the ending was meh. They need to do a third episode to really continue the story and straighten everythign else abotu the creator and his true motives and
"the Seed"
Shin Sekai Yori (from the new world)
Cross Ange
The Irregular at Magic High School
Tengen Toppa
Gurren Lagann
Puella Magi Madoka
Katanagatari
Voices of a Distant Star
Puella Magi Madoka

CorvoSol

Well, generally the average OVA is better looking than the average tv show.

In this case I think it's more the 20 year gap

As bad as School Days was, it really wasn't much compared to some of the other shit on The List.

Oreca DraColle 50

CAyEFcRWUAE9gDr.jpg

(oreca Dracolle hashtag sign even, lol) Oreca is continuing next week but is DraColle? I hope both go on, though Hiro is back in the real world.

Oreca was pretty great with Hayate, finally.

Respect

The SyFy channel wiki actually has a list of anime shows that they aired on a Saturday morning... From the stuff on there, if it's not Geist, it's probably the movie edit of the Casshan:Robot Hunter OAVs, but I've not seen that version to confirm either way.

That is it!! Could not remember this for the life of me...can't believe I missed their show listing, I fail at the internet...thanks for the help!

Hey guys, I hope im in the right thread. I need an anime recommendation. I'm starting to see this guy and he seems awesome, but I'm into grittier anime or anime with lots of action whereas he's not. He's into the Fairy Tail and the Sailor Moon and whatnot. The more popular, less "gritty" stuff, with sprinkles of humor.

So I'm asking here if there might be any decent recommendations that might keep both of our interests that we could start watching together? Something with some action but not a lot of vicious bits? I mean, he even got uncomfortable during some scenes of Tokyo Ghoul. He's already watched the Naruto and the Bleach and other popular titles on CrunchyRoll, but I have no clue what else might be out there tht would satisfy both of our tastes

Cornbread78

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\.

For full disclosure, no School Days is not anywhere near being a good show but then neither are Saekano or Cross Ange. Given your requirements and shows you liked so far, I don't think it's totally impossible for you to find some enjoyment in it. Though I would implore to you watch some more of the well regarded shows.

Here's your earlier post with the list.

Sweet, Thank you, I guess so far I've gotten through:

Cross Ange
Gurren Lagann
Voices of a Distant Star

SO it's time to move onto these.

Puella Magi Madoka
Katanagatari

Thank you.

Joe Molotov

The SyFy channel wiki actually has a list of anime shows that they aired on a Saturday morning... From the stuff on there, if it's not Geist, it's probably the movie edit of the Casshan:Robot Hunter OAVs, but I've not seen that version to confirm either way.

Ha, I remember recording a lot of these back in the 90's.Dominion Tank Police, Galaxy Express 999, Tenchi the Movie, Robot Carnival, Odin: Photon Sailer Starlight , good times.

Puruzi

Banned
Sweet, Thank you, I guess so far I've gotten through:

Cross Ange
Gurren Lagann
Voices of a Distant Star

SO it's time to move onto these.

Puella Magi Madoka
Katanagatari

Thank you.
Madoka and Katanagatari are genuinely good, and I guess you could like irregular if you liked SAO

Cornbread78

Madoka and Katanagatari are genuinely good, and I guess you could like irregular if you liked SAO

I see that Irregular is a short series, so I may be able to finish that over the next few days.

When are we going to stop misleading the newbies?

LOL, it's alright, new community for me, so I fully expect to be trolled, because I just don't know any better, lol.

Scarily enough, I found the first episode of School Days interesting and entertaining so I guess my taste in Anime really does differ from everyone else... It's all a new world to me.

Puruzi

Banned
I see that Irregular is a short series, so I may be able to finish that over the next few days.

LOL, it's alright, new community for me, so I fully expect to be trolled, because I just don't know any better, lol.

Scarily enough, I found the first episode of School Days interesting and entertaining so I guess my taste in Anime really does differ from everyone else... It's all a new world to me.
You really must continue School Days. It's so so good.

PK Gaming

So I just finished Monogatari: Second Season (not to be confused with the actual second season of the anime, Nisemonogatari)

There are a lot of things I can say about it. I could talk about how it's the absolute pinnacle of the series(especially Hanamonogatari, good lord), or about the how the arcs centered around other characters are substantially better than the ones in which Araragi is the protagonist. But instead, i'll just leave off with this:

tumblr_nalic2Fim01qdvrdyo3_r2_500.gif

I call it the Kaiki Stride...

Baalzebup

Eh, I edited this to my comment on the previous page, but it really is worth repeating:

The latter half of the show is about the MC being a complete and irredeemable shithead and a general spiral of despair, lust and jealousy with a good sprinkling of proper madness. Shit gets dark and there is no light. Ever.

It can be a good watch from a certain point of view, but it really is a Omega-level train crash.

Cornbread78

Eh, I edited this to my comment to the previous page, but it really is worth repeating:

The latter half of the show is about the MC being a complete and irredeemable shithead and a general spiral of despair, lust and jealousy with a good sprinkling of proper madness. Shit gets dark and there is no light. Ever.

It can be a good watch from a certain point of view, but it really is a Omega-level train crash.

Oh really, man, that may just get interesting then, or I'll just get pissed because it takes off in a completely different direction and $hits all-over itself and starts to make no sense whatsoever...

Puruzi

Banned
Eh, I edited this to my comment on the previous page, but it really is worth repeating:

God Damn it. Why would you spoil how it becomes a top tier anime? Feh.

phaze

Hey guys, I hope im in the right thread. I need an anime recommendation. I'm starting to see this guy and he seems awesome, but I'm into grittier anime or anime with lots of action whereas he's not. He's into the Fairy Tail and the Sailor Moon and whatnot. The more popular, less "gritty" stuff, with sprinkles of humor.

So I'm asking here if there might be any decent recommendations that might keep both of our interests that we could start watching together? Something with some action but not a lot of vicious bits? I mean, he even got uncomfortable during some scenes of Tokyo Ghoul. He's already watched the Naruto and the Bleach and other popular titles on CrunchyRoll, but I have no clue what else might be out there tht would satisfy both of our tastes

Isn't Fairy Tail a typical action heavy shounen ?

So given the bolded, I'm assuming he watched Hunter x Hunter but If not, check it out. A well regarded shounen that is fairly light hearted, at least before episode 75 and later.

Kyousougiga is great, short show with bits of good action, plenty of humor and a general feel good vibe. (Though with some depressing moments too.)

Honestly, if you didn't find first episode dull and the main protagonist annoying, then you might indeed have a shot at liking it.

Baalzebup

God Damn it. Why would you spoil how it becomes a top tier anime? Feh.

Because I find giving someone new to anime a blind recommendation of School Days to be a crime against humanity, unless I actually know that the person likes their stuff a little twisted. Dude came into anime via SAO, not Elfen Lied.

Puruzi

Banned
Because I find giving someone new to anime a blind recommendation of School Days to be a crime against humanity, unless I actually know that the person likes their stuff a little twisted. Dude came into anime via SAO, not Elfen Lied.

Speaking of, Elfen Lied is an incredible experience.
Cornbread, you should watch it too!

Li Kao

Well, speaking about newbie, are there debuting shows that are appreciated this season ? I already have some older anime I plan to watch*, but I could do with some fresh ones if the feedback is good.

* Nichijo, Baccano, Durarara, Yozakura Quartet, Gin no Saji, Hyouka, Tsuritama, Gatchaman Crowd, Steins;Gate

Tuck

Garo - 17:
759.gif

Outside of out of place CGI this has been pretty good series.

The CGI is unfortunate. At least it allows them to get some good action into every episode, but its the non-cg fights that really shine.

Honestly though, the thing I hate most about the CG fights isn't the CG, but the yelling. When they fight without the armour on, no yelling. But when they suit up suddenly every attack is accompanied by "AHHHHHHHHHHH ARGHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHDHFHULFHDKJFHKJ"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom