• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Seven Deadly Sins-23

This is kinda why I hate a lot of shounen shit. These power scales are completely fucked. Over twenty people are wailing on this guy and lol nope no damage. Give me a goddamn break. It's absolutely stupid on every level.

Then the climax with Elizabeth's
white magic to counter the dark magic
had me rolling my eyes.

Yatterman 11

Hmm, I kind of half to agree the beginning of the episode is a bit...weird, tone wise.
Dokurobey's 70 Kid's villain voice and mannerisms are pretty odd when he's not the absolute dictator of the dystopian future Earth. Also agree that in the beginning of this show it seemed like knowledge of Yatterman really wasn't needed, but now with Dokurobey here and the weird TV recap thing that isn't true. It was cool how they played the original OP though
Also they finally reach their destination then..run away and get beaten. Dunno how this will end with 1 (2?) episodes left

The parts with Goro were good.

Maria 11

Almost thought this was the final episode close to the end there, but I suppose that would be anticlimactic. Joseph and Maria finally confessing to each other was good. I suppose they bang next episode since the old lady in the previews didn't finish her sentence.
Last episode is called Apocalypse? Do they get a grip?

This also had a "I fucked you're waifu" scene!

edit: oops DP

Tribe Cool Crew 23
CAvQj_WWEAEPgF_.jpg

Never thought Id ever see swag in an anime or even in its songs, but it happened. Mizuki and Kumo were on fire today, their best routine yet. I cant wait to see what they do on Dance Road this time.

fertygo

So is Garo worth to catching up? I watched first eps from first season back then and decided to wait for the show turned up bad or not.

Tuck

So is Garo worth to catching up? I watched first eps from first season back then and decided to wait for the show turned up bad or not.
Its a great show, definitely give it a watch.

The initial set up isnt the most original (I.e the villain and how they introduce him) but especially in the second half the show goes in interesting directions and has some solid character development. Good action too.

Narag

It also doesn't hurt that the running time is much closer to the original series. When a 12 episode show is condensed into a pair of two hour movies it flows a lot better compared to a 50 episode show being made into a set of 90 minute movies.

Yeah, that's generally the problem I always run into with this stuff as the runtime is rarely ever sufficient.

I don't think you can call it condensed when it has the same runtime as the actual series.

That certainly explains a few things.

Jarmel

Banned
So I've found Naoki Sato's work on Assassination Classroom to be exceptionally subpar for him. It's been completely forgettable for almost the entire run.

Except for when Ritsu popped out those flowers. That's like the first time that I noticed the soundtrack in nine episodes. I hope there's a bigger electronic element in the music for the remaining episodes but I doubt it.

ibyea

Banned
Death Parade 11
It was emotionally intensive, but the other way around this time. Instead of intense in the bad aspect of life, it was intense in the goodness of life. I really liked it. The ice skating sequence that went along with Chiyuki's flashbacks was beautifully animated. At the end, we see just how arbitrary the arbiter's decisions are
with Ginti's decision to send fan girl to to the void along with pop star guy, and we get to find out what it is exactly what going to the void means.

Btw, was the picture Ginti showed fan girl
Light Yagami?! ^_^

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Condensing might work for Attack on Titan, though.
You can't condense a story that's mean to be filler bullshit that drags on and on and on though.

Because it will be another thousand chapters/episodes before they even get into the same area code as the stupid basement.

Seven Deadly Sins-23

This is kinda why I hate a lot of shounen shit. These power scales are completely fucked. Over twenty people are wailing on this guy and lol nope no damage. Give me a goddamn break. It's absolutely stupid on every level.

Then the climax with Elizabeth's
white magic to counter the dark magic
had me rolling my eyes.

Not seeing what is wrong with that scene.
The guy was :
-A knight at the top of the kingdom
-powered by demon blood
-powered AGAIN by a more powerfull demon blood

^^ seriously , you'd tell me that after all those battles ( remember the town ) and the fact above, you expect him to take damage ? At the previous level , he was regenerating so fast you couldn't see the damage for more than a couple of seconds. This change is nothing but a logical step.

As for elizabeth, that thing had been forshadowed like crazy across the previous 22 eps, so i don't know what is the problem there.
If he was taking damage , now that would have been stupid.

Jarmel

Banned
Not seeing what is wrong with that scene.
The guy was :
-A knight at the top of the kingdom
-powered by demon blood
-powered AGAIN by a more powerfull demon blood

^^ seriously , you'd tell me that after all those battles ( remember the town ) and the fact above, you expect him to take damage ? At the previous level , he was regenerating so fast you couldn't see the damage for more than a couple of seconds. This change is nothing but a logical step.

As for elizabeth, that thing had been forshadowed like crazy across the previous 22 eps, so i don't know what is the problem there.

It's not only ridiculous but also boring when a battle sequence consists of someone attacking a person who shrugs off any damage. Compare this to Brotherhood's ending which is an identical scenario but everybody is attacking for a clear purpose, in order to drain Father's Philosopher Stones. Not only that but it's played off better than just having invincible armor or whatever in Nanatsu. Brotherhood's scenario is much more dynamic in that both sides have a clear strategy and Father is clearly getting more strained as the battle goes. Even in Brotherhood's case, it's not the most compelling of material. "Muh powerlevel is too high for you" is just boring when there's no strategy.

Just because something is foreshadowed doesn't make it any less stupid. That's mainly because the level of foreshadowing didn't equate to the outcome. If a writer repeats that someone is special, it doesn't allow the writer to just go off and say the character is god or whatever. Well they can but it's poor writing.

It's not only ridiculous but also boring when a battle sequence consists of someone attacking a person who shrugs off any damage. Compare this to Brotherhood's ending which is an identical scenario but everybody is attacking for a clear purpose, in order to drain Father's Philosopher Stones. Not only that but it's played off better than just having invincible armor or whatever in Nanatsu. Brotherhood's scenario is much more dynamic in that both sides have a clear strategy and Father is clearly getting more strained as the battle goes. Even in Brotherhood's case, it's not the most compelling of material. "Muh powerlevel is too high for you" is just boring when there's no strategy.
Well that's because they aren't the same part of the fight.
You're supposed to show off that the new transformation is worth a damn , otherwise there is no purpose to the transformation.

It's like seeing frieza transform and expecting that piccolo can still inflinct some damage to him. No it's time to change the flow of battle.by showing why that change was different from the previous form. ( it's either that or the character goes down and another take his place.)

If you are at the final phase and you have some plan in effect , yeah you can show that it works or not but certainly not in this situation. You can look forward to see everyone attacking in the next episode since the plot armor of the vilain is now off

Bleach is the only shonen when you can have someone transform and it's worthless right away and it's crap.
Just because something is foreshadowed doesn't make it any less stupid. That's mainly because the level of foreshadowing didn't equate to the outcome. If a writer repeats that someone is special, it doesn't allow the writer to just go off and say the character is god or whatever. Well they can but it's poor writing.

It's not stupid if it answers the blank in the scenario that didn't have answers before.
And they didn't put her on the level of a god , just someone with a special hability. Heck they clearly limited the range of her powers right away as it's not a reset button.
If you can buy
that melodias can just heal from a deadly poison, if you can buy the fact that a doctor that was left for death for minutes could heal up and be fine ( as he was a normal human ) and all the other exemples , if you can accept that having the king and 2 sisters in custody , the bad guy still wanted to sacrifice that one character in particular and they told you that she was special numerous times. you cannot accept that those special skills can help to change the tide of battle ( Again it's not even an instant defeat of whatever , at the end of ep 23 , the bad guy is still there with all his habilities still working , lol ).

What makes her a god again ? if she didn't have that , what was the point of wanting to sacrifice her ? You're confused about powerlevels , when this stuff is as basic as it gets.

Jarmel

Banned
Well that's because they aren't the same part of the fight.
You're supposed to show off that the new transformation is worth a damn , otherwise there is no purpose to the transformation.

It's like seeing frieza transform and expecting that piccolo can still inflinct some damage to him. No it's time to change the flow of battle.by showing why that change was different from the previous form. ( it's either that or the character goes down and another take his place.)

And that's utterly boring and a waste of the viewer's time. There are also other ways to suggest power strength increases than a person's ability to tank shots. It's not threatening or intimidating when I see a villain just be thrown around and not take damage. If we saw Hendrickson use more techniques instead of some lazy autodeath snow and energy beams, it might have been passable.

If you are at the final phase and you have some plan in effect , yeah you can show that it works or not but certainly not in this situation. You can look forward to see everyone attacking in the next episode since the plot armor of the vilain is now off

Bleach is the only shonen when you can have someone transform and it's worthless right away and it's crap.

What should matter is how the fights are staged not whether a transformation is good or not.

It's not stupid if it answers the blank in the scenario that didn't have answers before.
And they didn't put her on the level of a god , just someone with a special hability. Heck they clearly limited the range of her powers right away as it's not a reset button.
If you can buy
that melodias can just heal from a deadly poison, if you can buy the fact that a doctor that was left for death for minutes could heal up and be fine ( as he was a normal human ) and all the other exemples , if you can accept that having the king and 2 sisters in custody , the bad guy still wanted to sacrifice that one character in particular and they told you that she was special numerous times. you cannot accept that those special skills can help to change the tide of battle ( Again it's not even an instant defeat of whatever , at the end of ep 23 , the bad guy is still there with all his habilities still working , lol ).

What makes her a god again ? if she didn't have that , what was the point of wanting to sacrifice her ? You're confused about powerlevels , when this stuff is as basic as it gets.

They had her
heal pretty much everybody alive to near perfect status instantly, on top of being able to supply heavy amounts of damage to Hendrickson in a big energy beam. Her not being able to revive dead people doesn't make it somehow less bullshit. That just means it's not completely broken.
It's high level white magic that she
is somehow able to use, with no negative consequences to date, that the party needed in just the nick of time. We don't see her train or the party trying to actively investigate her powers. It's extremely convenient writing.

Jarmel

Banned
Cross Ange-24
All
DAT
NTR
Embryo-sama makes the most glorious faces when blown the fuck out. Doing all of this to rape an impure girl. For shame. He should have just taken Alektra at this point. Also just so everyone knows,
Y'all know physics don't work that way. Both of them would be dead due to whiplash. If you are trying to save someone in your mech, if they're that close to the ground, don't bother.
Cross Ange 24

I was going to make for you all a wonderful post about Patlabor: The New File's use of restraint in romantic comedy, but instead I need to comment on this.

Has anybody else noticed how, setting aside the horrible sexual exploitation, the deplorably, creatively bankrupt writing and the abhorrent CGI robots in this series, it's still not entertaining to watch for the fights?

Like, Let's look at Gundam Build Fighters Try and Reconguista in G, Sunrise's other mecha shows for the season. Even though the plots have both kinda fallen apart, the fights are still worth watching. And you might argue that's owed to them being 2D, but I think it has more to do with the fact that the fights don't all fall into a ritualistic pattern.

As in I feel like every fight in Cross Ange is exactly the same visually. The Ragna Mails all strike the same poses before aiming their guns or swinging their swords. There's this non-stop need for the two mechs to spin in a circle, then come and clash together. They fire three or four rounds, then swing swords. It's just all so rote. By comparison, Reconguista's battles are more like elaborate dances and Try Fighters, even at its most bullshit, is doing more than -just- the same four steps.

Add to it the fact that at this point in the series every mech is a carbon copy of the Freedom and it all just begins to look bland. I mean, I hate hate HATE Mobile Armor, I do, but for God's sake when a 1979 anime manages to have more variety of combat than you do despite decades of advancements and financial gains for your fucking company maybe you need to sit the fuck down and ask what the fuck it is you're still doing in this business.

I disagree, seeing people getting eaten alive by dragons is entertaining as all hell. It should have happened more often. *chomp chomp*

javac

why is there so much writing and shit on the BD case
Not exactly a new phenomenon lol :p When a film has many accolades under its belt, they want to make it clear, especially when it isn't a Miyazaki film i.e. a harder sell as far as Ghibli films go. In any case, it's not finalized yet. I always go for the collectors editions, so looking at the CE for The Wind Rises etc gives you a good idea in regards to how it'll look in the end. It helps that the CE are really nice in person and have nice packaging.
Compared to the US release:

Jarmel

Banned
Really, the whole Jill sequence was absolutely disgusting on every conceivable level. Completely deplorable. That's the worst character assassination I've seen in a long ass time.

So in other words, a Tuesday in Cross Ange.

Really, the whole Jill sequence was absolutely disgusting on every conceivable level. Completely deplorable. That's the worst character assassination I've seen in a long ass time.

So in other words, a Tuesday in Cross Ange.

Yeah that part was really odd. I don't think she was baiting him either.

Tuck

Yatterman Night 11
You know, I think the show has maintained a good balance between the serious stuff and the joking stuff up to this point. But the first half of this episode was rough.

There was far, far too much joking around and bantering back and forth when all I wanted was a concise explanation of what the hell was going on. We get that eventually but even then it was done far more jokingly than it should have been. I do like the twist, but I think that entire scene was handled horribly. Not to mention the fact that it relies on previous knowledge of the Yatterman franchise - the info we needed to know could have and should have been mentioned in this show previously. And also, the way the villain speaks is extremely annoying.

Narag

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part II: Eternal

And yeah that was more Madoka alright. There was a better flow to it all which I assume is due to making a movie out of fewer episodes. Episode 10 material as good as ever too etc. For as much as I liked the first, it did have an exhausting quality to it as it had a specific endpoint in mind that it was going to hit no matter what.

Rebellion later in the week.

And that's utterly boring and a waste of the viewer's time. There are also other ways to suggest power strength increases than a person's ability to tank shots. It's not threatening or intimidating when I see a villain just be thrown around and not take damage. If we saw Hendrickson use more techniques instead of some lazy autodeath snow and energy beams, it might have been passable.
Like ripping heads with his bare hands maybe ?
Or that light based counter that blew ban upper half ?
What should matter is how the fights are staged not whether a transformation is good or not.
I recall the death of a party member and someone getting angry about it and unlocking new powers as a result.
Sorry this is just too common in anime for me to see anything's wrong with it.
They had her
heal pretty much everybody alive to near perfect status instantly, on top of being able to supply heavy amounts of damage to Hendrickson in a big energy beam. Her not being able to revive dead people doesn't make it somehow less bullshit. That just means it's not completely broken.
It's high level white magic that she
is somehow able to use, with no negative consequences to date, that the party needed in just the nick of time. We don't see her train or the party trying to actively investigate her powers. It's extremely convenient writing.

If it's not broken and it is forshadowed , so there is no problem with it. You don't need to train or have a super OBVIOUS investigation for this stuff to work , that one was subtle , since she is not a fighter , she was never meant to be one , as seen by the fact that she fainted right afterwards.
Her status hasn't changed, she is the damsel in distress , that need to be protected , that get kidnapped and so on.
in a familly where the father can see the future, am i surprised when the daughter has massive healing powers ? Not really.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Made it to episode 30 of Hunter X Hunter, this show is too damn good and not generic (as I'd worry) at all. I really gotta watch Saekano eventually, best show of the season.

wonzo

Banned
Catblue Dynamite

Another Romanov Higa thing I've been meaning to check out since URDA. He definitely came a long way in just a few years. It's really low budget compared to most CG productions these days but it's still one of the best looking I've seen thanks to Romanov's use of layouts and frame modulation to give everything a sense of weight. It also helps that the character models blend into their environments thanks to the lack of faux anime black outlines surrounding them.

As for the thing itself, it's a weird 70s crime serial involving two drug runners, a catgirl and her ghost partner, and an organized crime gang looking for a Sinatra tape. It sounds bizarre and dumb but it actually works really well. I don't know if this was made with english in mind but it definitely fit the setting and the lip sync went a long way in making it feel natural. It even does this cool media in res thing where this was billed as episode 5!

oh and there was two dumb music video things at the end with some japanese idol cosplaying as the catgirl ._.

Narag

Why can't we get more cool Romanov Higa projects like this? feelsbad

You should check out the tank police thing he did too which is somewhere between URDA and this in quality.

LegatoB

My favorite part of Catblue Dynamite is when the black guy adlibs a line about "J-Lo-lookin' felines," breaking the 1970s TV show illusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom