• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

The way it was worded made me think it was a complete version, but I suppose they could have premium versions for every volume as well.

I heard that Yuki Yuna's last volume in Japan isn't coming out until May; it would be awfully strange for the full series to release overseas first in April. I'm betting that it'll be volume releases.

jman2050

gHjGEoO.png

Oh man it's like the Yuru Yuri avatars all over again.

cajunator

Banned
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 5

This show is a pretty sci-fi sol, and I'm liking the music lately too. But this ep is Ledo-service leading to really bad trans jokes for too long of its runtime.

Yeah that episode was weird. However it does have a much more intriguing endgame so stick with it!

You're misunderstanding; this isn't RightStuf releasing their own BDs. This is Pony Canyon distributing their BDs through RightStuf.

I understand that since Nozomi is separate but a guy can dream!!

Thoraxes

I heard that Yuki Yuna's last volume in Japan isn't coming out until May; it would be awfully strange for the full series to release overseas first in April. I'm betting that it'll be volume releases.
Ah, that also makes sense too.

Unless it's the TV master. But using those makes no sense especially when they're going through the trouble to release them directly like this.

Kancolle 01

Yea, I don't understand the appeal of ship girls. This did nothing to change my mind.

The Testament of Sister New Devil 01

Why did I watch this? I was bored and it was on Crunchyroll. Probably won't be watching any more of this.

Clov

I understand that since Nozomi is separate but a guy can dream!!

I'm still dreaming too! One day they'll release those Utena BDs, one day...

Ah, that also makes sense too.

Unless it's the TV master. But using those makes no sense especially when they're going through the trouble to release them directly like this.

I can't imagine them using the TV masters if they're taking the Aniplex approach. That would be disastrous. I'm impressed with the quick turnaround, though.

Andrew J.

Uh just watched an episode of Cross Ange.

What happened to Sunrise? ;.;

Is this normal or have I been out of the loop?

You know how Sunrise tried to make Valvrave the next Code Geass, but didn't go far enough? This is Sunrise trying to make a new Code Geass and going too far.

Tokyo Ghoul √A 01

b7ce16b823.png

AquaWateria's dream come true

I kind of like what they are going for in the OP, but they didn't do it well enough and it feels more like an ED. The song at the end of the episode was better then the OP or the ED, which is also pretty mediocre.

In any case, this should be pretty interesting. Is it just me or did they cover a lot of chapters in this one episode, and skip the part where Kaneki breaks whats-his-faces bones? I guess with the route that this is taking it makes sense, wonder if it will be full original or following the manga story but with a twist. I assume it will kind of follow it with the last arc, just in a different way.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A Episode 1

Yeah it definitely going anime original, but that's not bad thing. I mean I rather have this than 77 chapters crammed into 12 episodes.

The Opening song I actually liked because it fully described Kaneki's state of mind. It's unique and the art gives of a sense of sadness, tragedy, and bizarreness. The flowers add a bit symbolism towards Kaneki's character, which I feel some people miss. I also feel that the OP will visually change as more episodes air. Anyways the haters are wrong about this OP.

The Ending is fuckin great with the bits of art shown. I mean Ishida Sui's art is really good especially Touka's, Rize's, and Uta's. It just adds a bit of flavor to the ending. The song itself is great and beautiful.

Now onto the episode, it was pretty good. Seeing that scene while Kaneki was holding Touka was great. Seriously though Touka suffers too much like
she comes to save him from Aogiri the same organization that tortured him. To only later get a reply from him that he's gonna join Aogiri. Like fuck too much suffering. I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't any 103 bones anatomy lesson, but oh well at least we get Kaneki joining Aogiri.
Then it ends with Kaneki heading out in the Sunset. Anyways I'm hyped for the next episode.

Sweet Jesus the OST was fuckin amazing, towards the end that song was soooo good. I need it right now! Also I forgot no censorship at all.

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

*9,588 *3 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [BD+DVD] 
*8,592 *3 Psycho-Pass Season 2 [BD+DVD] 
*7,912 *2 Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu [BD+DVD] 
*7,732 *2 Amagi Brilliant Park [BD+DVD] 
*6,299 *2 SHIROBAKO [BD] 
*5,324 *2 Gundam G no Reconguista [BD+DVD] 
*5,161 *2 Gugure! Kokkuri-san [BD+DVD] 
*4,198 *2 Grisaia no Kajitsu [BD+DVD] 
*3,850 *3 Trinity Seven [BD+DVD] 
*3,540 *2 Madan no Ou to Vanadis [BD+DVD]
*2,948 *2 Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. [BD+DVD] 
---------- Manabi Line (2,899) ----------
*1,882 *2 Terraformars [BD+DVD]  
*1,755 *2 Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [BD] 
*1,188 *2 Hi☆sCoool! Seha Girls [BD] 
*1,114 *2 Hitsugi no Chaika AVENGING BATTLE [BD] 
**,956 *2 Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai [BD] 
**,746 *1 Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji [BD+DVD] 
**,622 *1 Denkigai no Honya-san [BD] 
**,464 *1 Gundam Build Fighters Try [BD-BOX+DVD] 
**,419 *1 Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete [BD] 

Source with some updated numbers in the comments.

Uhhh....wow. Wasn't expecting Yuki Yuna to take the number one spot like that.

Where's Celestial Method though? Did the show do so bad it didn't even make the list?

Yuki Yuna-fin

So now for the ending, I see why people had issues with it. I do. The problem is many writers don't take the time to both establish the rules of the 'game' before they subvert it. That's something Urobuchi did extremely well in Madoka Magica, in that he took a lot of time to explain how and why everything worked the way it did. If you don't take the time to set up these rules, then when you subvert them, it comes off as a deus ex machina as the audience themselves establish their own rules that might conflict with the creators. YYY never set up a series of regulations about the Shinju so the 2nd half does come off as a deus ex machina despite it clearly being a case of mismatched expectations between those of the creators and the audience.
Now I'm not saying that it's the audience's fault for believing the Shinju is a hungry motherfucker and gobbling up body parts. The show clearly wants you to believe that the loss of body parts is permanent. However in the end, it's clear that the rules are something like Jumanji (the Robin Williams movie for the kids reading this post, which is good btw). The effects of the game are permanent if you don't clear the game. It's clear that nobody had a full understanding of the rules, even inside the show, which led to the series of misunderstandings culminating in episode 10.
So in this regard, the show's drama is all about there being a communication issue, not so much from people talking but from a lack of information. In this manner, it is sort of bullshit as the audience and characters are being led on.

All of that said, I'm actually sort of fine with the ending. The reason being is that the show doesn't betray the tone it had. The earlier parts of the show, as mentioned earlier, are fairly light hearted despite all the foreshadowing.
The ending keeps in tone with the earlier part of the show, rather than the latter half. I remember reading that some people felt betrayed about the ending and how happy it is, but I would say that they forgot the initial episodes.
A key component for any good ending is that it is consistent in tone with the earlier parts of the show itself. That's why so many people were howling about Madoka Magica's ending in that despite it being bittersweet, it still stuck out as too happy compared to the pitch black suffering earlier in the series.

So putting all of this together, I feel like it's both better and worse than Madoka Magica's ending. It's nowhere near as well set up but it's also more in line with the show. Now two things I do find indefensible are
Karen coming back to help the Hero Club out despite her being deaf and blind and Yuna's fainting at the play. Yuna fainting is a cheap 'gotcha' moment where the audience starts to freak out that Yuna's disabilities are coming back, when the show has no intention whatsoever on carrying through with that notion.

Going back to the work as a whole, I feel like people saying that it's a Madoka Magica ripoff, aren't doing the show justice. The work is clearly, and I mean clearly, inspired by Madoka Magica but it's also it's own thing with a different message, theme, and tone. Seiji Kishi wanted to do his own take on Madoka and the resulting work is an interesting project on its own. The show has its flaws but it was a fun magical girl watch.

I pretty much agree with your thoughts on the ending. The ending has its faults, but it's still an enjoyable magical girl show all around.

It's just that the show's hard for me to recommend now because I know that a lot of people aren't big fans of
deus ex machina endings.

Sabagebu Series Impressions

Sabagebu is a skit comedy anime based around a high school club who likes to shoot Desert Eagles and Berettas at each other. I wouldn't call it a black comedy but there is a macabre sense of enjoyment seeing cute anime girls
pretend
murder each other. It was fairly consistent with the stand out episode being episode 9's second half where the girls take on elders from Australia in a Mad Max-esque chase sequence. In fact there are plenty of references to 70-80s American action films which added to the enjoyment. There were some weak episodes, particularly where they make a joke of bulimics but overall it was enjoyable.

They really nailed Momoka's characters as a harsh narcissist. She is unrelenting and steps on anyone and everyone to get her way. However the way the narrative is told you can't help but endear her rather than hate her. The dynamic between Momoka and Urara became a little old by the time the anime came to a close but their banter was spot on for the most part.

AOTY rankability: May make it on the list. Depends how the other things I catch up on go.

Thoraxes

Not counting the monogatari series. That's like the studio going and collecting a paycheck.

Nisekoi didn't offend me, but it felt terribly generic.
I can understand that viewpoint.

I ended up being pretty enamored with Nisekoi and I can't really explain why. I do enjoy haremshits though. Couple that with SHAFT and it's pretty much a sucess in my book.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yowapeda 01-08

Really great show, would have been somewhere high in my top 2014 list if it wasnt 2015 right now.

Only complaint is the soundtrack is blah. Especially the rock music which sounds like rejected music that wasn't even good enough for a Musou game.

Firemind

Your Lie in April #12

I thought Kousei was supposed to get over his mom. And what the hell happened to the cliffhanger in the last episode? What a bunch of bollocks writing.

LOL at the motivational speech about not needing to hear sound to play the piano. Who do you think you are? Beethoven? Sensational.

I like the new OP, but then again I like most generic pop songs. ED is pretty nice as well, especially the chorus. Production is still solid I suppose, though dem stills and melodrama.

Ending: Not bad. Better than the previous one, but I wouldn't put it up there in my personal Top 5 Naruto endings.

Why hello, fillers!

It's been awhile.

Doing well?

Last time we saw each other was what? A month ago?

Two tops?

Either way, its good to know your still being pushed out regularly.

Especially as the first episode of the new year.

That surely bodes well for the rest.

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

*9,588 *3 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [BD+DVD] 
*8,592 *3 Psycho-Pass Season 2 [BD+DVD] 
*7,912 *2 Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu [BD+DVD] 
*7,732 *2 Amagi Brilliant Park [BD+DVD] 
*6,299 *2 SHIROBAKO [BD] 
*5,324 *2 Gundam G no Reconguista [BD+DVD] 
*5,161 *2 Gugure! Kokkuri-san [BD+DVD] 
*4,198 *2 Grisaia no Kajitsu [BD+DVD] 
*3,850 *3 Trinity Seven [BD+DVD] 
*3,540 *2 Madan no Ou to Vanadis [BD+DVD]
*2,948 *2 Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. [BD+DVD] 
---------- Manabi Line (2,899) ----------
*1,882 *2 Terraformars [BD+DVD]  
*1,755 *2 Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [BD] 
*1,188 *2 Hi☆sCoool! Seha Girls [BD] 
*1,114 *2 Hitsugi no Chaika AVENGING BATTLE [BD] 
**,956 *2 Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai [BD] 
**,746 *1 Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji [BD+DVD] 
**,622 *1 Denkigai no Honya-san [BD] 
**,464 *1 Gundam Build Fighters Try [BD-BOX+DVD] 
**,419 *1 Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete [BD] 

Source with some updated numbers in the comments.

But seriously though, Where's Parasyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom