• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolling Girls

Did they blow their budget on the first episode? Show is a lot of fun and the characters are likeable as well. I have a feeling that the show might focus on the Rest instead of the Best though :/

dat moment where you say "the xenoblade X trailer song sounds like something out of Attack on Titan OST" and you're told it's the same composer. I think I'm starting to see why some people recognize his music easily lol

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 07-08

UgqZEis.jpg

Poor husband :p

Reknoc

After some thought, I think I liked the inherent cruelty in judging two unconnected souls against one another in the OVA. First ep felt like marriage counseling to me.

Hm, I guess, but it's like since they don't know each other of course they're going to go all in (which lead to some cool pool stuff and fight scene).

Today on gaming side, we discuss how we both love and hate Nintendo.

For like the 100th time.

I have nothing but love since I'm not planning on getting the N3DS. I mean seriously, even though I want to play xenoblade chronicles it isn't enough to get me to replace my system. Especially since I could always play it on my Wii U

dat moment where you say "the xenoblade X trailer song sounds like something out of Attack on Titan OST" and you're told it's the same composer. I think I'm starting to see why some people recognize his music easily lol

Yeah just watched the trailer and that sounded like a mix of 2 AoT tracks.

Well, with that amount of soundtracks he seems to be responsible for these days I can hardly blame him for most of the stuff sounding the same. Love the soundtrack and use thereof in AoT a lot, but meh otherwise. It's a fricking mess in Aldnoah Zero imo (OP and ED aside if he was involved there too). edit: Actually, may be more the fault of the sound director...

Midonin

KanColle 02

Fight scenes aren't everything. An entire episode spent on daily life antics and Fubuki's training, and it's as compelling as the first episode, and also provides a bit more context. (Even the creators of the original game don't know the origin of how these girls came to inherit the souls of ships - just accept the premise, it's ultimately not important.) I am seeing the game mechanics being transplanted into a more traditional narrative format, but not in a way that feels disruptive, though it is a little weird. I'm fine with the Admiral being a small presence - Fubuki is the hero of this story, let her decide where the narrative goes. Shimakaze keeps getting small cameos, so they have to be building up to an episode that's all about her so she can fan-favorite all over the screen. Yes, the characters are defined by one or two traits, but the thing is that those doujins and fanart have expanded their personalities - the game has been working off of those. This secondary market, with the feedback from fans to creators and back again, is the kind of thing that an anime can thrive on today. And I find it fascinating. Fans are an active participant in the worlds that are being put to the screen. There are still plenty of traditional worlds that come solely from the creator, but once a work is out there, there's very few works that won't have at least some part of them taken and remixed, rethought, reinterpreted by the fans. People have been doing this since stories existed, now it's just being given an air of officiality.

I like the opening and ending animation. Some nice sunset shots in the ED, and the song is pretty fun to listen to, as well.

jbug617

Banned
Nozomi got Sketchbook ~full colors~.
http://www.rightstuf.com/site/nozomiEntertainment/seriesSites/sketchbook/index.html
Nozomi Entertainment will release Sketchbook ~full color's~ as a complete 13-episode DVD collection in the summer of 2015. The slice-of-life comedy anime is based on the manga series Sketchbook by Totan Kobako, which first appeared in the monthly magazine Comic Blade in 2002.

Sketchbook ~full color's~ is directed by Yoshimasa Hiraike (Wagnaria, Kaleido Star), and features character designs by Isao Sugimoto (Ai Yori Aoshi, Shakugan no Shana), music by Ken Muramatsu (Natsuyuki Rendezvous), and animation by Hal Film Maker (ARIA). The series originally aired in Japan in 2007 on TV Tokyo.

javac

I don't watch this show myself, but I think it's popular. In any case, the Japanese release of Fate/Stay Night will not be coming with English subs so you'll have to buy it through Aniplex US which as I take it would be more expensive and they don't ship outside the US (I think?) People in the UK can purchase it here.

Reknoc

I don't watch this show myself, but I think it's popular. In any case, the Japanese release of Fate/Stay Night will not be coming with English subs so you'll have to buy it through Aniplex US which as I take it would be more expensive and they don't ship outside the US (I think?) People in the UK can purchase it here.

UK people are probably better off waiting for a UK release considering that price lol.

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 09-10

That was fast...

We see how they met and I guess she was correct about not trusting her husband around kids in the previous episode... Oh, and some Evangelion references.

Yui

KanColle - 02

Again, a lot of service for people who know/play the game, I love it.
I honestly never imagined the docks as a bath, but now the instant repair bucket finally makes sense!
Also, dat ending song. <3

Midonin

Testament 02

I saw more from Basara that suggests his counter-reaction last time was more of a spur of the moment impulse thing. He did end the episode by doing something genuinely heroic, after all. Yet it's that moment that defines "competency". That's for another day, and there are much richer series I can get into analyzing this with. I'm curious as to why Maria is in this story. Initiating lewd scenarios looks to be her main purpose, aside from being Mio's bodyguard, but so far she's not been as heavily involved in the romance aspect outside of some teasing. The opening credits already spelled out what Yuuki is, so I have a rough idea of how this wrinkle is going to go. She's the Origami of this story, but I wonder if her hero organization is corrupt - is that why Basara's family split from them in the first place? It's not the worst thing I've seen, so I'm looking forward to more. The show implied quite a lot in that one scene transition without actually displaying anything.

Like I said, leaving things to the imagination can be much, much more vivid than actually showing it. The reasons why H-scenes in non-nukige can be effective isn't about the exposing of the flesh, but the exposing of intimacy. That goes for anime like this, too.

Parasyte - 14

Hmm average episode. I enjoyed Ryouku attending an university lecture, kinda reminded me off Stringer Bell.

I think the direction of Parasyte just isn't all that strong. The cuts are sometimes kinda jarring, for example after Shinichi and Uda talked to the private investigator it quickly cuts to Shinichi lying in bed and getting a call from Ryouku and then immediately to him being on his way to their meeting. Felt simply too fast and abrupt.

Sound direction is also lacking. Too often the music feels noticeably distractive (and I really do like the OST actually) and well, during the earlier episodes already I mentioned just how badly Parasyte transformation sounds are.

edit:
^ Goddamn minus couldn't possibly load any slower for me.

Assassination Classroom 1

It's interesting seeing this from the beginning again. I had completely forgotten that most of the moon is gone and that at one point, Koro was actually a little bit malicious toward his students. Neat to see how things evolved.

But goddamn, Nagisa's voice is SUPER feminine compared to what I had envisioned. I was expecting him to be played by a woman trying to sound masculine, but nope.

Will keep up with the show as the early parts of the series are pretty legit.

Steins;Gate 11

SERN really isn't lurking in the shadows anymore if that last text is any indication.
I think the next episode will be when they'll make their presence felt

And how and why does part-time warrior think that
Makise is a part of SERN? Maybe she's the mole.

Jex

[Doamaiger D] - 2

My personal anime of the season keeps on delivering the goods in ways I never even knew I needed! This week features the greatest launch sequence in any robot anime.

Reknoc

Assassination Classroom 1

It's interesting seeing this from the beginning again. I had completely forgotten that most of the moon is gone and that at one point, Koro was actually a little bit malicious toward his students. Neat to see how things evolved.

But goddamn, Nagisa's voice is SUPER feminine compared to what I had envisioned. I was expecting him to be played by a woman trying to sound masculine, but nope.

Will keep up with the show as the early parts of the series are pretty legit.

I think Nagisa looks more girly in the anime as well lol

Chaika - Avenging battle 08/09/10

I realised that i hadn't seen the end of this anime yet and that i was put down by many impressions when it was airing but now , several weeks later i figured it was the right time to see how this ends.
EPISODE 8

Right now , i won't hide that a few moments during this ep , i said " really ?" out loud because in this episode a LOOOOOT of things happen
The gilette squad breaking out , hartgen and black chaika plans, Gillette Vs vivi , Red vs white chaika fight , white chaika being kidnnaped

OMG , so much happenned..why did so much happen ? Why the sudden reversal from red chaika ? I can guess why , but it was so sudden. No it wasn't out of character, but it was "rushed" Yes ..rushed.

And don't get me started on gilette .. Goddamn , This should have been longer , better

EPISODE 9
So in this episode , red chaika see that her remains were stolen ( too bad you can't do magic to hide those , duh ) get frustrated . meanwhile the gilette squad tends to gilette as they rejoice over the news and proceed to warn everyone. So far so good.
Hitsugi%20no%20Chaika%20-%20Avenging%20Battle%20-%2009_01.jpg

I'm all for waiting but you see the mastermind, h-he's here so maybe ..."maybe" you should stop them Before they finish their plan...
Just saying...
Hitsugi%20no%20Chaika%20-%20Avenging%20Battle%20-%2009_02.jpg

Oups Too late , maybe we shouldn't have waited then ?
So , now time for the finale. Honnestly this part was ok. Many hints were there since the start of the show , and the conclusion was as expected. Black chaika plan won and Gaz is back
That ressurection was LEWD ..and bloody , not expected.
Of course the death of
hartgen
was to be expected. Man it was obvious that he was manipulated , but to see that even after this turn of events he still said positive things only to met such an end...sigh*
Overall a good episode, there is nothing really wrong with it.

EPISODE 10
Hitsugi%20no%20Chaika%20-%20Avenging%20Battle%20-%2010_01.jpg

You know toru, a simple "no" is simpler.... why did you take chaika if it's to let her in a place that is "not safe at all" few second later ? This can't be an elaborate plot device in order to place her just at the right place for later , can it ?
No way! Nobody would do that , it's way too obvious.
This episode should have been called "Curse of Kadokawa"
WHY THE RUSH
WHY THE FREAKING RUSH?

Everything happenned so fast , Toru contract , toru decision , the various fights .. heck toru went into a fight against his mentor .. but everything went sooooo fast . Damn if i did have a bite of the black chaika fight but in this case i only got the end.Most of those should have a start and middle and an end. There wasn't just enough time in 23minutes for all of that .. Nothing felt like an accomplishment.. we didn't have the time for it to sink in....... it's disapointing.
Hitsugi%20no%20Chaika%20-%20Avenging%20Battle%20-%2010_02.jpg

Man she certainly enjoyed her status as "queen" of the hive, but B.chaika , are you forced to tell it loud and clear to every chaika that you encounter ? YES ??!! Well nevermind.
The Gaz showdown was especially anticlimatic with frederica taken out on the first move.
I mean ok this should have been one sided but even that was too much. Niwa decision can make sense , but they should have shown more of niwa/w.chaika for it to not feel like a deus ex machina.

Second season thoughts
This second season has 1 main problem: Kadokawa
10eps ? Not even enough to do justice of this material.
Hello Kadokawa , you need 12 or 13 eps for chaika avenging battle ......
Hitsugi%20no%20Chaika%20-%20Avenging%20Battle%20-%2008_01.jpg

Oh goddamit , kadokawa.
Episode 8 should have been done in 2 eps.
Episode 10 should also have been on 2 eps.
You then add one episode in between the 2 arc to justify Niwa/Gilette/and Red chaika bond with her team

And that season would have been MUCH BETTER.
The overall performance in term of visual was great. Vivi in particular went from "Annoying" to "Good" A much better imrpovement.
It's a shame that it was used that way.

Overall thoughts
Hitsugi no Chaika is a Good anime.It's an intresting world to explore, the cast is likeable and the pacing in the first season was awesome. The cast had clear goals but didn't fail to consider their circustances....and overall that was a much needed anime that did many things rights from the heroine to the supporting cast.
Despite the problems the second season had , it's still an anime i can recommand to someone to see . it's just isn't in my top 20 because of those flaws.

Hitsugi%20no%20Chaika%20-%20Avenging%20Battle%20-%2010_03.jpg

Please do not knock the door with your feet
JUST SAYING
Final ranking :

Red>White>Blue>Black>Yellow

Parasyte 14
This is another of those "nothing major happens" episodes, but the fact a certain somebody doesn't show up makes the episode stand out so much by not sucking that it becomes good.
Shinichi becoming less human is well enough for me, I'm starting to want more action now.

Also lol at that last smile. It was the Parasyte version of
zvCp2Ny.jpg

Stiens;Gate 13

It's official,
Part-time Warrior is best girl!

It took 12 episodes of build-up but by god am I hooked for the rest of this show!

And Moeka continues to be worst girl!

Who's the KyoAni of the game industry?

I was thinking maybe Capcom would fit that role pretty well because FMP appears to be getting the same treatment as Mega Man nowadays.

Fans to Capcom: Make a new console Mega Man game!
Capcom to fans: How about this nice Mega Man mobile game instead?

Fans to KyoAni: Make a new FMP Season!
KyoAni to fans: About some nice movies of Beyond the Boundary instead?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ah so Oni is their K-On
Halo 3 is their Hyouka.

God damn breh that shit stings because it's so fucking true.

"A studio with such potential, wasted on crap"
And they have no one to blame but themselves. :(

I was thinking maybe Capcom would fit that role pretty well because FMP appears to be getting the same treatment as Mega Man nowadays.

Fans to Capcom: Make a new console Mega Man game!
Capcom to fans: How about this nice Mega Man mobile game instead?

Fans to KyoAni: Make a new FMP Season!
KyoAni to fans: About some nice movies of Beyond the Boundary instead?
They even had Mega Man show up in random games like SFxTekken in the same way that the Fumoffu character showed up in Amagi Park.

Stiens;Gate 14

I can't imagine the mental toll it must have on seeing
your childhood friend die right in front of you over and over.
Thankfully you have best and second-best girl to help you prevent it.
As well best girl's A.K.A John Titor's time machine. Two bucks says she's also Okabe's future daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom