• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Shinmai Maou No Testament 2

How could you fuck up one of the best scenes? I ought to be a crime to fuck up that spell sequence scene it is a fucking classic. The LN and manga WEEP in shame.

Meh. Didn't bother me at all. I'd rather this than watching screens of white.

zulux21

time for a little update of shows from me.

Parasyte 14
please show, continue to leave all non parasyte females out of the show... as you tend to do things over and over and over and over again with any of the females... i swear if I hear "are you really (insert main characters name here)" one more time it better be while she is getting sliced up. the ranting of course has nothing to do with this episode as it wasn't in this episode... which was a nice change of pace after a ton of episodes that had been drug down by that crap and the other chick.

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV) 1

This one wasn't bad, but it is clear I likely shouldn't expect any deep story to it. gotta just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love! 1
I didn't have much hope for this one, but the little bit I had was extremely disappointed. It was like someone had the idea "lets do a parody of a magical girl show" and then forgot that they didn't have any sense of humor or writing talent in general. The show's main joke was worse than the running joke in the first episode of lucky star, which is an impressive feat. I think it might have been trying to parody it, but it failed on all accounts. You then have the cast and well they decided to make the most annoying character the main character... it's been a long time since I absolutely detested an anime voice work (well not that long as sailor moon's voice sucks >.>) but the blond male is so annoying @_@ this show is so dropped.

Death Parade  1
So as expected this show was not like Another (even though I was hoping for comedic deaths) instead it felt a lot more like Hell Girl, which I liked for exactly one episode... and then it became very clear that they were going to do the same exact type of episode each time and I dropped it by episode 5 because I was able to start predicting exactly when the twists would come and what they were as they were the same each time. Ideally Death Parade manages to keep it fresh, that being said I wasn't all that impressed with the first episode. parts of it were interesting enough, especially after it was made clear to me that the show doesn't use a heaven or hell system but more of a Buddhist system, but it would have been a lot more enjoyable if they had just
been a happy couple who had died instead of a cheating whore and a guy that killed them because of trust issues.
I think some of the draw of the show is to empathize with the characters, but I can't get attached that quickly and thus the end was a, well there were some fun facial expressions instead of any sort of feelings towards the characters. I'll continue to watch this one for now.

Ace of the diamond last so many eps.
I want to like this show, but it is making it really hard to. this last arc was just garbage due to all of the time stalls and flash backs. the arc was 13 episodes, or about 260 minutes, or 4.33 hours to cover a baseball game that was a little under 3 hours in the anime. there were multiple times in the series where they would stall out for 5 minutes between pitches to show the same thing over and over... it was in super fluff out mode, which I could get if it was catching up to the manga, but to my understanding it's not even halfway caught up. At this point I wish the show had been stopped after the first 52 eps and brought back later without the fluff... the extra 26 episode pick up was obviously a bad thing.

You Lie In April episode 12
was an alright episode, I am really tired of the mother crap hopefully that completely stops soon especially since we seem to be getting really close to finding out what
the blonde is dying from.

Robotics Notes 08-22 yeah I burned the rest of the episodes in a day.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm not sure how I feel about it. Suddenly turned Ghost in the Shell, then Gundam 00 badguy. As huge of a mecha fan as I am, kinda felt it ruined everything near the end. Was hoping it would stay a story about small island town life at its heart and so forth... and kinda did ish, but yeah. nah... And I guess the last robot could work with their level of tech, simply because it was a walking turret spider drone on a large scale... but.... yeah

and theres no way it should have had a happy ending like that. America or fucking anyone would have put a "we dont tolerate terrorism" boot up their asses so hard after they found out what happened.

Space Dandy 12
B7XXhkRCMAIo4Q2.png

This episode had trouble keeping my attention. Imitation antics just aren't enjoyable!

Veitsev

Non Non Biyori 1-4

Holy shit this is like really really good. The music is incredible. The direction is fantastic. The backgrounds are Ghibli quality. You have young girls (ya know kids) doing actual kid things instead of stupid bullshit cute girl things like going shopping and sitting around drinking tea in one location and then switching location to proceed to just sit around drinking tea again (I am looking at you K-On!). Like pacing is a thing. There is no stupid fan service. Characters feel like they have real emotions and defined personalities. The fuck? Am I actually watching a slice of life anime that strives to be more than moe bullshit? Like I usually can't stay focused with slice of life anime and wondered why other people enjoyed some of them so much but maybe those were just doing it wrong.

faridmon

Non Non Biyori 1-4

Holy shit his is like really really good. The music is incredible. The direction is fantastic. The backgrounds are Ghibli quality. You have young girls (ya know kids) doing actual kid things instead of stupid bullshit cute girl things like going shopping and sitting around drinking tea in one location and then switching location to proceed to just sit around drinking tea again (I am looking at you K-On!). Like pacing is a thing. There is no stupid fan service. Characters feel like they have real emotions and defined personalities. The fuck? Am I actually watching a slice of life anime that strives to be more than moe bullshit? Like I usually can't stay focused with slice of life anime and wondered why other people enjoyed some of them so much but maybe those were just doing it wrong.

Yeah it wsa really good, although its started to be boring by the end tail. But nonetheless, teh humour and the sice-of-life of it is done right. I just wish the pacing was much better.

Veitsev

Yeah it wsa really good, although its started to be boring by the end tail. But nonetheless, teh humour and the sice-of-life of it is done right. I just wish the pacing was much better.

I am just blown away that I like it as much as I have. I really have trouble enjoying slice of life anime in general. I usually enjoy the first episode when everything is new, but I quickly grow tired of there being no plot. Everything just grows stale. Non Non Biyori does a really good job of telling a story and conveying emotion without using dialogue which is something animation has the freedom to do better than anything and unfortunately doesn't do enough.

We need more slice of life like this and Barakamon.

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - 3

Holy crap at
that throat slitting scene.

Show is getting back to the really intense moments from season 1 and really upping them.

faridmon

What? Last few episode of Non Non Biyori is the best stretch.

I found them silly and maybe I grew tired the slow moving mini-plots in each episode.
And frankly nothing come close to that winter-camping episode. That was funny as hell!
I am just blown away that I like it as much as I have. I really have trouble enjoying slice of life anime in general. I usually enjoy the first episode when everything is new, but I quickly grow tired of there being no plot. Everything just grows stale. Non Non Biyori does a really good job of telling a story and conveying emotion without using dialogue which is something animation has the freedom to do better than anything and unfortunately doesn't do enough.

I agree. We need Slice-of-life that just focuses on the strength of the characters rather than use cliche methods in order to raise any interest. The animation, the art and the humour was spot on, while being cute, colourful and generally optimistic. I really did like all the characters and funnily enough, the younger one didn't annoy me as much as I though. Generally, I am put off by ''moe'' culture which is an epidemic in the industry, but this series hit a nice balance of moe and mature storytelling. The dialogue is crisp and moves at a brisky pace which is realistic.

Also, I love the shop keeper. She is so funny!

Blusby

Any new winter 2015 anime I should start watching? It has to be on crubchyroll since that's where I watch anime.

Unfortunately all the good shows (Yoru no Yatterman, Junketsu no Maria, Yuri Kuma Arashi, Rolling Girls, and Death Parade) are all being streamed by Funimation.

How is Maria the Virgin Witch? I'm looking for some medieval fantasy which it seems like it is judging from post in this thread, but wiki sites list it as an ecchi anime? How much of that was in the first episode? Have no interest in that sort of stuff most of the time.

There's some suggestive dialogue but it's nothing too crazy, anyways its first episode was one of my favorites this season so you should definitely check it out.

Oh fuck. I just looked up the "comic book writer" doing the Fire Emblem scenario and it's the guy who did Knight in the Area. Fucking RIP.

It's Fire Emblem, it's kind of a given that the writing will be either mediocre or bad.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Oh fuck. I just looked up the "comic book writer" doing the Fire Emblem scenario and it's the guy who did Knight in the Area. Fucking RIP.

Well, his other work (especially as Seimaru Amagi and Yuma Ando. Man, dude have a lot of penname!) is better than Knight in the Area, so there's that.

Yeah Non Non Biyori and Barakamon are some of the fewest Slice of Life's that know how children actually act. They actually feel like real kids and not some fake moe crap. Seeing these shows get some love makes me happy.

CorvoSol

Well, it more followed the typical Fire Emblem formula of "Beat the evil king, beat the evil dragon/god" but with little spice.
And a ton of one note gimmick characters. More then usual.

hey hey hey but it also had

"I CAME TO PREVENT BAD FUTURE"

and i think that was the plot to something that was good. Like part of a season of Heroes or something.

jman2050

hey hey hey but it also had

"I CAME TO PREVENT BAD FUTURE"

and i think that was the plot to something that was good. Like part of a season of Heroes or something.

Did FE:A leave a character stranded in the future only for everyone to forget she even existed?

Speaking of JRPGs with poor writing, I wish I had listened to you about Bravely Default.

Oh geez that game is like every bad JRPG cliche in one neat package
I'm at the halfway point now after doing all the temples and I don't want to continue knowing what happens, plus the gameplay kind of wore off. Shame since it has so many cool things like turning off encounter rates and turning battle speed up way high.
I'll probably buy Bravely Second anyway..

Just play Trails in the Sky FC and ignore all the other chaff.
Need to know that the other games will actually come over given XSEED's allergy to text.
I'm at the halfway point now after doing all the temples and I don't want to continue knowing what happens, plus the gameplay kind of wore off. Shame since it has so many cool things like turning off encounter rates and turning battle speed up way high.
Shit's killing my interest in Steins;Gate and I'm only in chapter 1.

I wish it were just cliched. Wait until it becomes continuity errors, the game.

I'm making my way through that and Persona 3 FES right now. I dunno why I'm playing P3 so much because I'm not really sure what I like about it lol.
Oh and my MC just died in a fight and of course that makes you autolose so I lost an hour of progress because PS2 era developers didn't know what the fuck they were doing
Should probably play Demon's Souls before Bloodborne comes out
I also have both versions of Valkryia Chronicles and have started neither of them.

It might've been a bad idea to fill my backlog with RPGs

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 3

Sigh. I really hope there's a genuinely awesome fight scene in this show at some point.

Like, I remember there being a backstory episode coming up soon that was pretty intense, but in a show where superpowers aren't that uncommon in a city, I'd expect a big battle or two to go down!

But otherwise, this was a pretty standard episode.

I'm making my way through that and Persona 3 FES right now. I dunno why I'm playing P3 so much because I'm not really sure what I like about it lol.
Oh and my MC just died in a fight and of course that makes you autolose so I lost an hour of progress because PS2 era developers didn't know what the fuck they were doing
I also have both versions of Valkryia Chronicles and have started neither of them.

Where in the story are you on in Persona 3 FES?

Dresden

All this angsting about videogames wouldn't happen if you fellows just stuck to superior WESTERN games developed by mostly american hands.

survivor

Banned
I was looking this dude up to see if he has written anything else and he has a massive resume. Despite Knight in the Area being the worst sports series I ever experienced, maybe he has written something else that is halfway decent.

CorvoSol

Speaking of JRPGs with poor writing, I wish I had listened to you about Bravely Default.

Jesus fuck

give a man some warning before reminding him of the game that killed what love he had left for a company he had patronized from his boyhood.

Jesus fuck

give a man some warning before reminding him of the game that killed what love he had left for a company he had patronized from his boyhood.

Jesus fuck

Jesus fuck

Veitsev

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 3

Sigh. I really hope there's a genuinely awesome fight scene in this show at some point.

Like, I remember there being a backstory episode coming up soon that was pretty intense, but in a show where superpowers aren't that uncommon in a city, I'd expect a big battle or two to go down!

But otherwise, this was a pretty standard episode.

There is absolutely some good action incoming, but the first season of Railgun isn't exactly action packed. Felt like more of a police/mystery procedural with some slice of life elements. Railgun S (second season) definitely has more of that though and all of the character building moments in the first season help give the drama more weight.

Heard the writing is amazing in that game.

Persona 3 FES is the GOAT. Play Valkyria Chronicles after. Its worth your time for sure. One of the best srpg games in loooong time.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Better put Valkyria Chronicles in higher priority. One of the better Strategy RPG

I have the same problem. I have Tales of Xillia, Symphonia&dawn world, and fallout 2 in my backlog, and i'm about to add Tactics Ogre and Ys to my backlog....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom