• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Bravely Default is a story that exists to contain the gameplay within it. The beats of the story aren't bad in and of themselves, but the way they're presented to the player is... just awful.

CorvoSol

Bravely Default is a story that exists to contain the gameplay within it. The beats of the story aren't bad in and of themselves, but the way they're presented to the player is... just awful.

I loved the game's gameplay, and the second half was terrible, but that ending killed what love I had left.

That fucking bullshit piece of trash god awful horrid filth no good idiotic terribly conceived rancid stank shit stain vulgar miserable pathetic excuse for an ending can go fuck right off the creative cliff it dove so freely over.

Blusby

I'm making my way through that and Persona 3 FES right now. I dunno why I'm playing P3 so much because I'm not really sure what I like about it lol.
Oh and my MC just died in a fight and of course that makes you autolose so I lost an hour of progress because PS2 era developers didn't know what the fuck they were doing
Should probably play Demon's Souls before Bloodborne comes out
I also have both versions of Valkryia Chronicles and have started neither of them.

It might've been a bad idea to fill my backlog with RPGs

The Persona series is bad and long as hell. Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles are both infinitely more deserving of your time.

faridmon

All this hate for Fire Emblem and Braively defult. I think I have stumbled into ''I am so cool and mainstream sucks'' club.

Let the hate continue.

All this hate for Fire Emblem and Braively defult. I think I have stumbled into ''I am so cool and mainstream sucks'' club.

Let the hate continue.

But I love Fire Emblem. The stories have never been good but Awakening lowered the bar substantially.
Bravely Default is just mediocre.

The Persona series is bad and long as hell. Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles are both infinitely more deserving of your time.

Yeah I can't get over the moronic, slow combat in P3Fes.
I'll prob play those two pretty soon,

faridmon

I really liked Fire Emblem's writing. It didn't take itself seriously and modestly driven the plot to a satisfying ending.

Nah, you stumbled into the critical thinking and standards club. :p

I want to say something counteractive, but then I realised that I am the same. About Music :p

Continue guys, I have stopped judging.

jman2050

I got 90% of the way through P3 on PSP and then I realized it would be impossible to finish all my social links and I stopped playing.

What I'm saying is that I'm a crazy person.

CorvoSol

Let the hate continue.

Look I don't hate Bravely Default because it's cool and mainstream. I bought the fuckin' Collector's Edition for them Fat Yoshida Thighs, man. I loved and defended the first half of the game and was under this magical trance where I believed Square had come back to me.

But you gotta be kidding me about that second half. And the shit the ending pulls. It's just not good man. The game plays like a dream but the writing forces the player to go through bad shit. Like, thankfully someone had the foresight to make shit optional, to allow the player to turn off encounters and to turn down difficulty so that
rehashed boss fights
didn't last hours longer than they needed to because they were now taking the concept of an hp sponge to its logical extremity.

That second half is just not good.

Awakening I loved. I'm right there with you. I never demanded anything of Awakening and it never treated me wrong. And the dude who says Persona is bad is probably a mortal enemy of mine.

But Bravely Default actively tried to kill me.

Dresden

YOU'RE THE BEST, ROBIN!

YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND, ROBIN!

YOU REALLY SAVED US THERE, ROBIN!

HAVE MY BABIES, ROBIN! (alternatively: I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES, ROBIN!)

Mature

I loved the game's gameplay, and the second half was terrible, but that ending killed what love I had left.

That fucking bullshit piece of trash god awful horrid filth no good idiotic terribly conceived rancid stank shit stain vulgar miserable pathetic excuse for an ending can go fuck right off the creative cliff it dove so freely over.
I don't actually remember being very offended by the ending? It seemed pretty by-the-numbers JRPG fair.

Let the hate continue.
Don't be so dismissive. You should learn to not take things personally— no one has said anything to warrant that statement.

faridmon

Look I don't hate Bravely Default because it's cool and mainstream. I bought the fuckin' Collector's Edition for them Fat Yoshida Thighs, man. I loved and defended the first half of the game and was under this magical trance where I believed Square had come back to me.

But you gotta be kidding me about that second half. And the shit the ending pulls. It's just not good man. The game plays like a dream but the writing forces the player to go through bad shit. Like, thankfully someone had the foresight to make shit optional, to allow the player to turn off encounters and to turn down difficulty so that
rehashed boss fights
didn't last hours longer than they needed to because they were now taking the concept of an hp sponge to its logical extremity.

That second half is just not good.

The pacing might be good, but again, that is the genre's fault more than anything. I have read somewhere, that they made that second half so punishingly long so they might avoid people to actually resell it so fats, in japan where Second-hand business is abondance.

But I was talking mainly about the writing, its simple yet effective.

The hate towards that game got me thinking how hypocritical Jrpg fans are. Star Ocean games for example had that trouble yet its praise like they were the second coming of RPGs.

Don't be so dismissive. You should learn to not take things personally— no one has said anything to warrant that statement.
I am not dismissive of any criticism those games have gotten, I am dismissive of this hivemind that have been induced in the last page of this thread. Those games are far from perfect, I agree wholeheartedly, however the extreme prejudice against their writing is just going a tad bit far. They are way better writing than many Jrpgs (and Animes for that matter)

Second half of BD was so bad I stopped playing to save myself time.

I hate bullshit like that in my video games and I'm not tolerating it there.

Slayers 7-13

Period magic thankfully died before the Shabalabadingdong arc is over, and we get stuck with Goury and NEW acrobatic tomboy. I like how she shows that being super justififul doesn't cut it.

then again, Lina ain't our usual protag, for reasons.

Liking the OST so far

CorvoSol

I don't actually remember being very offended by the ending? It seemed pretty by-the-numbers JRPG fair.

Things that I hated about the end of Bravely Default:

1. You HAVE to walk right into Airy's trap, despite knowing well ahead of time it was coming. You just have to.

2. Tiz is suddenly dead and may have been dead the whole game/ the person everyone knew as Tiz may never have been Tiz at all.

3. Ringabel goes back to his home world despite the gate to all worlds closing so that he can save Edea, throwing away the entire game's worth of relationship building with Edea.

4. Also Tiz and Agnes are thrown out the window for the pointless sequel hook.

5. Also dear God that fucking awful sequel hook. LET'S THROW OUT 40 PLUS HOURS OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND LEAVE THEM IN AMBIGUITY FOR THE SAKE OF INTRODUCING SOME FUCKING DWEEB DOING FLIPS AND SHIT. Really

There was probably more but basically I hated everything.

The hate towards that game got me thinking how hypocritical Jrpg fans are. Star Ocean games for example had that trouble yet its praise like they were the second coming of RPGs.

The only Star Ocean I played was 4. Mistakes were made

Man it must be a really slow day if we have a long conversation about JRPGs

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

1. You HAVE to walk right into Airy's trap, despite knowing well ahead of time it was coming. You just have to.

2. Tiz is suddenly dead and may have been dead the whole game/ the person everyone knew as Tiz may never have been Tiz at all.

3. Ringabel goes back to his home world despite the gate to all worlds closing so that he can save Edea, throwing away the entire game's worth of relationship building with Edea.

5. Also dear God that fucking awful sequel hook. LET'S THROW OUT 40 PLUS HOURS OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND LEAVE THEM IN AMBIGUITY FOR THE SAKE OF INTRODUCING SOME FUCKING DWEEB DOING FLIPS AND SHIT. Really

This is why I always play RPG's up to the last chapter and then quit, so I don't have to deal with the forced drama endings

CorvoSol

This is why I always play RPG's up to the last chapter and then quit, so I don't have to deal with the forced drama endings

see but if you play bd up to the last chapter you've already endured so much bullshit already.

Maybe if you just quit after chapter 4.

faridmon

You know what, now that you mention those points, I agree. The game was filled with moments of complete idiocracy, but having played so many those type of games, it just flew past me. I take it for granted that the genre is just filled with those type of contrivance.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The pacing might be good, but again, that is the genre's fault more than anything. I have read somewhere, that they made that second half so punishingly long so they might avoid people to actually resell it so fats, in japan where Second-hand business is abondance.

But I was talking mainly about the writing, its simple yet effective.

Star Ocean
The first and second is standard sci-fi and fantasy blend together. The third is like that until stupid twist. Haven't play the fourth game.
For all it's worth though, the battle system, crafting, and the minigame is great.

PK Gaming

Well, it more followed the typical Fire Emblem formula of "Beat the evil king, beat the evil dragon/god" but with little spice.
And a ton of one note gimmick characters. More then usual.

As much as I love awakening, it didn't even do that right. It has like 3 major story arcs (each of themcould have easily been their own story), but there's nowhere near enough time to fully develop any of them. The game's main narrative would have been decent if it had just stuck to one. Oh well, at least Gangrel was funny.

YOU'RE THE BEST, ROBIN!

YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND, ROBIN!

YOU REALLY SAVED US THERE, ROBIN!

HAVE MY BABIES, ROBIN! (alternatively: I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES, ROBIN!)

Fire Emblem Awakening In A Nutshell said:
dsGGJAe.png
awzjWuX.png

The game spends every waking moment reminding that Robin rules and Chrom drools.

jman2050

No, that's a sentiment specifically allotted for Star Ocean 2, and rightfully so because Star Ocean 2 owns a whole bunch. It still has a pretty by-the-numbers silly JRPG nonsense plot regardless.

Star Ocean 1 was fun but woefully short and undercooked and barely had a story to speak of. Star Ocean 3 is a laughable absurdity of JRPG cliches and stupid anime bullshit that still manages to be mostly boring rather than hilarious and also has some of the worst character designs of all time AND arguably THE worst plot twist in RPG history, and yet despite all this manages to be fun as hell because the combat is still great (complaints about MP death aside) and the level to which you can break the game over your knee is astounding.

The fourth game doesn't exist.

Mature

Haha, yeah, some of those are pretty bad. Specifically,
Tiz being dead? That didn't make much sense to me, and it seemed totally tacked on. But then, you know, wasn't he in the tube in the post credits sequence? I dunno.
I honestly wasn't paying it much attention at that point to be honest. Was just letting it all wash over me.

But just a little bit of Google is telling me that Bravely Second isn't being written by the Steins Gate guy. I'll be there day one at any rate... =/ Slave to the Yoshida art and gameplay.

but where else will I get delicious Yoshida art :(
You can be miserable and play FFXIV like me.

faridmon

Star Ocean
The first and second is standard sci-fi and fantasy blend together. The third is like that until stupid twist. Haven't play the fourth game.
For all it's worth though, the battle system, crafting, and the minigame is great.

IN all of those games, the second half were bullshit. Filled with a lot backtracking and plot that doesn't progress an inch. The battle system is good, yet it doesn't save it from everything the game made you do outside it.

And most battles were like 2 second, apart from bosses, they weren't that much fun.

faridmon

I played Persona 3 for the story, what's so funny about that.

The story was OK. I played it because I was addicted to it.

No, that's a sentiment specifically allotted for Star Ocean 2, and rightfully so because Star Ocean 2 owns a whole bunch. It still has a pretty by-the-numbers silly JRPG nonsense plot regardless.

The 2nd one had all sort of issues which makes far from good. It started wonderful and fun until the king orders you to collect those artifact in order to open that cave and go into the pace ship. It dragged on. The story stopped becoming good, and the battle system started becoming really easy, or really hard (unless you break the game by crafting those weapons.

I still haven't beaten the last boss because of that. That second form is bullshit!

Syrinx

Kinmoza 3

I was losing interest, but then Karen showed up. I'll give it another couple episodes.

Alternatively though this show is bringing back awful memories of a few semesters ago when I was taking a Global Communications course and there was this total weeaboo in the class who did his group project on Japan and made this video about the seven honor things the samurai observe but put images from Mirai Nikki and Heaven's Loost Property and a whole bunch of other anime and showed it to the class. Anyway he made this bullshit point that most Japanese people have never seen somebody with blonde hair before and thus they would love you if you had it. All of Shinobu's going nuts over Karen's blonde hair kinda brought that rushing back.

The story was OK. I played it because I was addicted to it.

You gotta admit though the ending to the story was brilliant. Pretty much why I loved the story so much even if the beginning was a bit slow.

That ending song Kimi No Kioku killed me. Sweet Jesus was it beautiful.

Westlo

Star Ocean

Man fuck the hate for the twist in SO 3, it's not like the story for the first half as well as the first two games was amazing or anything. so3 is best so....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom