• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

You gotta admit though the ending to the story was brilliant. Pretty much why I loved the story so much even if the beginning was a bit slow.

I did like the ending actually. Very emotional, but the writing and the way it was presented, I felt it was a bit melodramatic. The cool think about it was the character conversation and you could feel the sombre in the air. I really felt bad about them :(

I really like the fact that it had finality to it and a definite purpose, to which I have to agree with that it was great.

I haven't played Persona 4 though, so I don't how it would compare.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
IN all of those games, the second half were bullshit. Filled with a lot backtracking and plot that doesn't progress an inch. The battle system is good, yet it doesn't save it from everything the game made you do outside it.

And most battles were like 2 second, apart from bosses, they weren't that much fun.

Well, i can't deny that the second half were bullshit, since i don't remember the second half that much. Yes, the random battle is really short, but the optional bonus dungeon at least partially fix the problem.

The story was OK. I played it because I was addicted to it.

The 2nd one had all sort of issues which makes far from good. It started wonderful and fun until the king orders you to collect those artifact in order to open that cave and go into the pace ship. It dragged on. The story stopped becoming good, and the battle system started becoming really easy, or really hard (unless you break the game by crafting those weapons.

I still haven't beaten the last boss because of that. That second form is bullshit!
I beat the 'unlocked' version of the final boss the first time by pure luck
There's an accessory/armor that have certain % chance to kill enemies that hit your character. It trigger 30 seconds into battle, making the battle anticlimatic :/

Man fuck the hate for the twist in SO 3, it's not like the story for the first half as well as the first two games was amazing or anything. so3 is best so....

The twist definitely came out of nowhere. I still like SO3 though. their no damage and time limit trophies is really great for replay value and challenge.

Not surprising. The dungeon crawling is shit in P3 (and 4)

Persona 3 is a time management sim/visual novel with a mediocre dungeon crawler tacked on as a change of pace.

Persona 3/4 are dating sims with some extra fluff on the side

I agree. Core gameplay is pretty awful but there's something that keeps me playing. Although I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I did SMT IV.
I should probably play more Trails in the Sky or start on Valk Chronicles or Demon's Souls since I know they're more suited to my tastes.

You know I can see why people dislike the dungeon crawling, but for me it was somehow addicting to the point that I loved it.

Have you ever played a core SMT game?
What I dislike about P3Fes is simple - Battles are slow as hell, you have no control over your party so Mitsuru keeps using Marin Karin and Koromaru keeps using Mudo on bosses, and when the MC dies, you lose automatically (not at all exclusive to the Persona series but stupid as hell nonetheless, coupled with no autosaves/map saving). Plus it has a lot of archaic issues from older RPGs that are minute complaints, like how long it takes to swap stuff on party member since you have to talk to them (that itself can be a chore sometimes, let alone them walking in front of you as you try and hit a Shadow) and having to scroll down continually to keep using items on party members since I'm in the habit of always buying 99 of the weakest healing items and spamming them. Just general QOL stuff. Gameplay wise I wouldn't say there is anything Persona 3 FES does better then the PS2 SMT games like Nocturne or DDS. Story and character wise, it's more in depth since most SMT games end up telling relatively the same story of Law vs Chaos with a few twists, although the plot moves at such a slow pace it's kind of hard to stay interested, and plot lines like "We have a goddamn robot now" don't seem to amount much other then a new party member. Party members are also kind of weird, the gap between Junpei - > Akihiko and Mitsuru soon after seems way bigger then the gap from Aigis to Koromaru. Maybe it's because I played way more at that time.

Really this is the anime thread so I should not be talking this much about a game and it's late so I should be going to bed, but P3 has a movie so it's fine I guess! It's really easy for me to babble on and on about games, I guess since I know far more intricate details then I do anime and manga, which is weird to say because I know a lot (too much) about those too.
The battle music and evolving Tartarus music is super good though. Keeps me going.

faridmon

Man fuck the hate for the twist in SO 3, it's not like the story for the first half as well as the first two games was amazing or anything. so3 is best so....

It just became really hard after that twist. Was I missing something with the craft, I don't know, but The enemies were like hitting hard and I was constantly dying from normal battles.

faridmon

You know I can see why people dislike the dungeon crawling, but for me it was somehow addicting to the point that I loved it.

Yeah, I love the dungeon crawling. That was the point where addiction to it increased. I spent like 90 hours beating that game and it just didn't felt anything close to that.

I did like the ending actually. Very emotional, but the writing and the way it was presented, I felt it was a bit melodramatic. The cool think about it was the character conversation and you could feel the sombre in the air. I really felt bad about them :(

I really like the fact that it had finality to it and a definite purpose, to which I have to agree with that it was great.

I haven't played Persona 4 though, so I don't how it would compare.

Personally I found Persona 4 story not that great compared to 3. Also the story felt like Scooby Doo adventures and it was a bit too light hearted.

faridmon

Star Ocean 4 is the only decent Star Ocean.

I need to play Star Ocean 4 so I can say I have played all of them.

Personally I found Persona 4 story not that great compared to 3. Also the story felt like Scooby Doo adventures and it was too light hearted.
ah, pity. That would have been the first game I would have bought if I buy a Vita.

Can we have Trails of the sky chapter 2 and 3 pls?

Link Man

Banned
Second half of BD was so bad I stopped playing to save myself time.

I hate bullshit like that in my video games and I'm not tolerating it there.

Excel Saga 7-13

Period magic thankfully died before the Shabalabadingdong arc is over, and we get stuck with Goury and NEW acrobatic tomboy. I like how she shows that being super justififul doesn't cut it.

then again, Lina ain't our usual protag, for reasons.

Liking the OST so far
Excel Saga?

faridmon

I personally feel that Persona 2 and 3 did it well.

Persona 2 is so old and archaic, I couldn't muster 3 hours before calling it ''backlog game''
I am not ahardcore gamer, so wished teh PSP port would have a an easy mode where there were less random encounter but no....

and I paid a lot for that game.

Star Ocean 4 is the only decent Star Ocean.

Really? The combat was decent but the story and characters were some of the worst I've ever encountered (looking at you Lymle and that stupid pink haired hologram girl)

I personally feel that Persona 2 and 3 did it well.

It's alright, but I like the settings of most recent SMT like IV and Strange Journey better, and I find the Law/Chaos focus to be always interesting despite weaker character focus.

Reknoc

Really? The combat was decent but the story and characters were some of the worst I've ever encountered (looking at you Lymle and that stupid pink haired hologram girl)

Well, yes, the characters are fucking terrible and Edge Maverick doesn't even have the best name anymore (Kor Meteor from Tales of Hearts does now), but the combat being decent is a huge improvement over previous games. It also doesn't take place in just bland fantasy middle-earth like the other games (but its sci-fi because a space ship showed up once or something)

I mean, given the choice I'd still rather play Rogue Galaxy.

SMT4 had a solid story.
I didn't really care for it. Though a lot of that has to do with being tired of how SMT reuses the same themes over and over.
Devil Survivor isn't bad. Though I'm not sure if you strictly mean plot, since plot is an aspect of a story.
I restricted it to plot because a lot of them do setting, atmosphere, or character well. But yeah, Devil Survivor's story was more interesting than most.

PK Gaming

Not surprising. The dungeon crawling is shit in P3 (and 4)

It's pretty bad in the earlier games too. Only Persona 1 had somewhat decent dungeon crawling.

Persona 3/4 are dating sims with some extra fluff on the side

Only a few of the social links incorporate romance, and they're usually tacked on at the end. P3's female protagonist's social links are legit dating sims though. There are romance flags and everything.

SMT4 had a solid story.

It's got excellent world building, and for a while it seems like its building into something that's genuinely pretty amazing, but then it just follows SMT story flowchart

Humans are assholes
Demons are bigger assholes
God is the biggest asshole

Same old same old

Playing any Persona or SMT game for plot is dumb. None of them do that well.

Plot is like the biggest (arguably the only) reason why people should play Persona 2. It's legitimately good.

wonzo

Banned
WUG 5
wakeupgirls5.jpg
wakeupgirls5a.jpg

If there's one thing this excels at its making you really care for the young women that try their hardest in such a callous industry. You'd have to have a will of iron to make it anywhere in it thanks to the rarity of the adults that actually give a shit about their wellbeing.

Link Man

Banned
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 6

So, not much to say about this episode, really. We get a little background on Nanoha and her friends, Nanoha herself is still moping about, and Fate has what look like lash marks on her back. Nanoha tries to break the ice with Fate, and then we end on an explosive note.

Perhaps it was a mistake to try to watch this when I'm this tired, but I doubt rest would cause me to view this episode in a more favorable light. It just seems to lack energy.

Also, I'm already getting tired of the transformation sequence, although I know it's a staple of the genre. It's just dead airtime to me.

Next episode looks like it could be interesting, though.

jgminto

It's got excellent world building, and for a while it seems like its building into something that's genuinely pretty amazing, but then it just follows SMT story flowchart

Humans are assholes
Demons are bigger assholes
God is the biggest asshole

Same old same old

I found the characters themselves to be very likeable though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
It's pretty bad in the earlier games too. Only Persona 1 had somewhat decent dungeon crawling.

Plot is like the biggest (arguably the only) reason why people should play Persona 2. It's legitimately good.

I've read the Persona 2 IS and EP script. Yup. They're good. I enjoy it despite not playing the game

PK Gaming

I found the characters themselves to be very likeable though.

The characters were pretty good overall, but...

These two fuck ups were some of the worst Law/Chaos protagonists in SMT history (hell, of all the ones I played these guys were the worst). There isn't an iota of nuance in either of their characters; they pretty much play out the Law/Chaos hero concept and do absolutely nothing of interest with it. What's worse is that they
they drop off the map after a certain point in the story and re-appear at the end
, and the writing behind their characterization was poor.

Fortunately, Isabeau was a very good character, and the supporting cast was amazing.

jgminto

The characters were pretty good overall, but...

These two fuck ups were some of the worst Law/Chaos protagonists in SMT history (hell, of all the ones I played these guys were the worst). There isn't an iota of nuance in either of their characters; they pretty much play out the Law/Chaos hero concept and do absolutely nothing of interest with it. What's worse is that they
they drop off the map after a certain point in the story and re-appear at the end
, and the writing behind their characterization was poor.

Fortunately, Isabeau was a very good character, and the supporting cast was amazing.

I thought Walter was great.

fertygo

Would you recommend it?

I remember some people making big waves about it when it first started airing so I wanted to know if I should take a dip or not.

People making wave to yell "kyoanus is ded"
but yeah S1 while filled with charm of reverse gendered of moe archetype also have really cringe worthy melodrama, while S2 is better from that aspect you still gonna bear with the cheesiness.

Would you recommend it?

I remember some people making big waves about it when it first started airing so I wanted to know if I should take a dip or not.

I would not recommend the first season (haven't watched the 2nd). It quickly dissolves into poorly written melodrama. Unless you're desperate to see oddly shaped muscles, there are better things to watch.

Rainy

Banned
Kill la Kill 1-24

Gave it another try after my friend convinced me to. It's pretty good in some departments and not so good in others, overall, nothing immensely groundbreaking. A bit lazy to write up a more comprehensive review, maybe later.

wonzo

Banned
WUG 6

"When the object enters the Industry, Idol Culture begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four potatoes on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the potato nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of potatoes and takes the place of the first potato. The formerly first potato becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. Idol Culture works the same way.”

- Mari OkadaHayasaka "Five Aces" Tasuka, Music Producer

jgminto

Would you recommend it?

Ok then, adding it to my watch list.

The first season gets weak about half way through but the second season is really solid, definitely the best thing Kyoani has done in a while.

People making wave to yell "kyoanus is ded"
but yeah S1 while filled with charm of reverse gendered of moe archetype also have really cringe worthy melodrama, while S2 is better from that aspect you still gonna bear with the cheesiness.

I don't mind cheesiness too much, Based on the promo stuff I kind of expect it. Part of my motivation for wanting to check this out also comes from seeing numerous Twitter pages and Facebook profiles completely decked out in Free! imagery. So I want to see what people are getting out of this show.

I would not recommend the first season (haven't watched the 2nd). It quickly dissolves into poorly written melodrama. Unless you're desperate to see oddly shaped muscles, there are better things to watch.

I have a bunch of shows lined up so I won't be watching it on its own. I like to run through numerous shows at once so if it turns out to be less than enjoyable for me I can fix that pretty quickly.

it's pretty vapid but if you like muscular guys being moe~ together then watch

also god-tier ED

9000 hours in MS Paint.

That's good.

The first season gets weak about half way through but the second season is really solid, definitely the best thing Kyoani has done in a while.

Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. I'm wondering now if my sister would be interested in seeing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom