• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice to get a translated version of that as I wonder if there were some cuts near the end.

I've watched the first of the OADs and it has extra little scenes throughout that didn't make the cut as well as slower editing in general. I assume the material from the second OAD was treated in the same manner.

duckroll

Wow the original was 80 minutes and they truncated it to 48?

It was two 40ish min OADs apparently. 47 mins for the TV slot is the most they managed to get I think. I just did some research into this, and it looks like the Director's Cut edition is what they wanted to release all along. It's both OADs combined as a movie, with the audio track remastered for theatrical presentation. They had limited screenings in Japan in Dec and early Jan to promote the TV series. Movie Walker lists the screenings as 88 minutes long. That's what will be on the first volume of the BD/DVD.

Jarmel

Banned
It was two 40ish min OADs apparently. 47 mins for the TV slot is the most they managed to get I think. I just did some research into this, and it looks like the Director's Cut edition is what they wanted to release all along. It's both OADs combined as a movie, with the audio track remastered for theatrical presentation. They had limited screenings in Japan in Dec and early Jan to promote the TV series. Movie Walker lists the screenings as 88 minutes long. That's what will be on the first volume of the BD/DVD.

No wonder things felt rushed. That said, I can't imagine there being over 30 minutes of missing scenes without it feeling too slow.

Clov

That's great news! As much as I love the show right now, I did feel that the pacing in the first episode was a little quick. Can't wait to watch the director's cut!

Russ T

Banned
Oh, I finished Nyanko-sensei's Book of Friends.

I don't have a whole lot to add to everything else I've said. The final season was not as Nice and Fluffy and Pleasant as previous seasons, but it was a nice capstone on Natsume's growth. Also, that final youkai was legitimately creepy. I didn't like it. It made me feel sad for Natsume. But he overcame, thanks to best cat's inspirational voice.

I like this anime a lot.

It's wonderful.

ShPi9Pn.gif

Narag

Perfect Insider 8

Episode didn't feel as engaging as the previous ones. I think it's partially due to having the mystery being blown open soon and being left waiting for things to begin to resolve. Thankfully, the character interaction between the leads is far more interesting than the murder stuff even if it didn't fully grab me this time around.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No wonder things felt rushed. That said, I can't imagine there being over 30 minutes of missing scenes without it feeling too slow.
If nothing else, the second performance felt like it was cut for time so I can see more time being made up there.

---

glQeHsVl.jpg

When Mr. Crunchyroll just wants to screw around with the subs. I wish there was another season of Ika Musume so that we could have terrible squid puns again.

---

I forgot that the second Tamayura movie OVA whatever thing came out earlier last season and it basically ends by summing up every single high school anime ever:
1fs0v4ol.jpg

EFfeUUhl.jpg

Just two more of these to go and the series is done... but at least that rolls into Amanchu next season.

Quasar

I forgot that the second Tamayura movie OVA whatever thing came out earlier last season and it basically ends by summing up every single high school anime ever:
1fs0v4ol.jpg

EFfeUUhl.jpg

Just two more of these to go and the series is done... but at least that rolls into Amanchu next season.

I wonder how they are going to handle the end. It seemed like it was pushing to end (in part) with the wedding of Chimo and Dougu, and Chimos VA (Miyu Matsuki) passed away.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder how they are going to handle the end. It seemed like it was pushing to end (in part) with the wedding of Chimo and Dougu, and Chimos VA (Miyu Matsuki) passed away.
Oh wow, I had no idea she played that character. That's sad. :(

I expect Maon to get an episode, and maybe Fu's friends from her old school since they're the same age? The final episode being a wedding episode does make sense though - right after every graduates of course, for maximum mono no aware life transition.

pbayne

I wish we could all just agree that Nurse Witch KOMUGI R is the anime of the season so far. Followed closely by Erased and Rakugo.

I agree. Its my number 1 followed by Rakugo.

Thats not a knock to anything else but in enjoyment terms its head and shoulders above everything else for me

Mailbox

Yowamushi Pedal (Seasons 1 & 2)
never-lose-hope-push-past-your-limits-and-trust-your-friends-333824.gif

So I watched all of Yowamushi pedal (52 episodes worth) over the last couple of days.

Idk why but i just feel like I can't give adequate impressions or anything of the sort in a forum post.

My only takeaways that i'll share are:

- 3d use is interesting, especially when its combo'd by 2d animation. Modeling and shading tech could have been better.

- The second season consisting of only part of 1 race for 24 episodes felt like it dragged on... a lot. I mean.... holy jesus...

- The limits of the characters felt very arbitrary and had many many asspulls. Would have liked more consistency on that front.

- There is a lot of bromancing here.

- There's a guy who names his pecs. His pecs also have personalities. Its weird.

- The female bike otaku "manager" character fades into the background halfway through... thats a shame.

- Onoda is a rather bland protagonist that really doesn't grow beyond being a yes-man and joining the cycling club. He's basically the same person throughout inter-high while basically every other character changes (for the most part). Imo, Kinjou or Imizumi would have been more interesting characters to focus on in later parts in full rather than have Onoda asspull time and time again.

- Midousuji as a villain becomes played out. After we see him defeated, suppressed and the audience sees his inner demons, that should have been it. But NOPE, he comes back, basically the same after everything and only changes when he is defeated the very last time. He's also the biggest asspuller this entire series.

- The Idea of "distance" between characters feels like bullshit sometimes. Characters catch up to other characters at weird times and in unfounded ways. This may be more the visual tricks the show uses, but there were lots of times where I though "How the fuck is this guy/ are these guys caught up when they were 500m+ behind not even a second ago?"

- The other character, the sense of speed, and the early to mid interhigh parts are good and well done, imo.

- The post credit scenes are actually quite funny. I laughed out loud a few times :p

- Very little reused animation (outside of flashbacks) , despite the heavy CG use for the cycling.
[I only note this because, while haikyuu is better overall, damn am I very pissed off at it's over-use of reused animations]

Overall: Its a good sports anime. Not the best, and could have used a LOT more consistency during races.

Apparently, there's a 3rd season coming, which is weird since the last season ended off on such a great ending already. I feel like another season would sully that.

I'm also not gonna do week by week impressions, but i'll just save them up until the series are done.

Or in Erased's case, when the series is done AND i rewatch it again. i've already rewatched the second episode. Its just soooooooo good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
OnyYQZwl.jpg

iOHVflAl.jpg

The Aria BD has some neat features if you care about the VAs and/or SatoJun. I don't get why they didn't just sub everything though... would have made importing a much easier decision, even with the crappy Canadian dollar.

rrvv

Garasu no Hana to Kowasu Sekai

Cute program doing cute thing.

silly story aside, it have good animation, art, and character so it's enjoyable in my book

Pretty obvious that they want to make it TV series but cannot do it. so it feel compressed and to much confusing explanation

The Nintendo X Shaft anime everyone wants.

we have that kid icarus short from shaft thought

Dresden

Shouwa genroku rakugo shinjuu - 1

There's a lengthy rakugo segment near the end that I just couldn't parse. So inscrutable that I felt shut out of whatever it was intimating. Like I had this suspicion that the performance signified something important to the story, yet I zoned out for most of it, noting the nature of the performance more than what was being spoken. Interesting as tradition, but otherwise I was like yeah I can totally understand why it's dying out.

Whatever knowledge of it I had prior to watching this came from Joshiraku, which really wasn't interested in discussion of what rakugo was at all--rakugo was just something that filled up a portion of each episode, in the same way that the girls would burn up time going sightseeing, visiting tokyo tower for some forgettable reason or going to the fish market to make fun of foreigners. So I just assumed going into this that it would be similarly delivered, standup comedy stripped of timing and humor thanks to the language barrier, that all the interest would stem from character drama associated with the art.

And none of it was funny, but it wasn't standup, it was ... bardic? I expected it to be all original material, in the same way that comedians would write up jokes and refresh them every once in a while. But that wasn't the case; what mattered was performance; the performers would be defined not by the quality of their gags but their delivery, their style. The animation, how it's directed, follows this; it befits it; the expressions, the mannerisms, they all come out with a kind of flair that you don't see in the rest of the show, due to how restrained it is most of the time. It feels appropriate I guess for anime--for a field where so much of it is comprised of adaptations--and where apprenticeship is unrewarding and its mastering mostly thankless and unseen.

Anyway, I liked it. I will watch more of it if there is more or when there is more. And I'm glad Kobayashi Yuu got a role where she doesn't have to ham it up because she's better than the ham.

Mailbox

Thank god TUSR went back to the old avatar. Didn't feel right with the new one :p

edit: Speaking of avatars: WHY CAN'T I DRAW HANDS!?!?!?! T_T

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I Sensible Chuckled™ at some of the rakugo, the thief story IIRC, in Ep 1.

None in Ep 2 though.

lol@duckroll think Bubuki is bad, after rewatch the ED song 20 times(still looping right now btw) Reoko herself already enough made the show decent.
Man i can see Reoko-sama is top tier girl in this season.

But Divine Gate doesn't have crappy CGI models. It also might have some sakuga but that's probably Stockholm Syndrome talking.

Go watch episode 2, if you think Bubuki's CGI is crappy.
*Oh you watched but you didn't notice?

Oh, I finished Nyanko-sensei's Book of Friends.

I don't have a whole lot to add to everything else I've said. The final season was not as Nice and Fluffy and Pleasant as previous seasons, but it was a nice capstone on Natsume's growth. Also, that final youkai was legitimately creepy. I didn't like it. It made me feel sad for Natsume. But he overcame, thanks to best cat's inspirational voice.

I like this anime a lot.

It's wonderful.

ShPi9Pn.gif
Glad you liked it, I see you changed your avatar too haha.

I wish more folks here put it on their backlog it really is great to marathon.

Ascheroth

Luck & Logic - 02

For something that is not an LN adaption, this sure feels like an LN adpation, huh.
At least it has better writing then Bubuki.
The twist with
Olga just being a big chuuni
was pretty good, though.

----
Speaking about Bubuki, this reminds me that no matter how cool your setting and potential plot may be, it doesn't mean anything if your audience doesn't give a shit about your characters.
So thanks for that, I guess.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I could probably backlog something seeing as all in watching this season is one full show and a handful of shorts.

Qurupeke

Koyomimonogatari 2-Koyomi Flower

Staple Stable is soooo good. And damn, it's been too long since we had long haired Senjougahara chatting with Araragi. The episode wasn't as entertaining as the first one, but still fine for a short. I was totally expecting Araragi having dropped the flowers by accident and then forgetting about them. Also, that AoT reference. lol

Puruzi

Banned
Haikyuu S2 15

This episode looked a little different, but in a good way

I like Johzenji's team and the way they play

I don't like cliffhangers happening again

noo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom