• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haikyuu S2 15

Wow this episode was legit good. I love it when side-characters get the spotlight. It's nice that this show spends so much time with all the characters because it makes it super hype when they do something good in a match. I also really like how the opposing team is always likeable, I'm always rooting for them in a way.

Daichi was this episode's MVP

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Great. Click on TUSR's Platinum Disco link and now my YouTube homepage is filled with Whatevergatari recommendations.

Koyomimonogatari 02

Really like the format of these, it's perfect for Monogatari. Short but sweet little mysteries with great character dialogue/interactions with less and blabber. They are simpler and more straight to the point, I like it. Also this was a Senjou episode, so that's a plus.

Bubuki Buranki - 02

1cTFzB3.jpg
sClGp2b.jpg

Oh yes mighty good second episode. I'm loving this Raeko character quite a bit already. The the giant robo fights certainly delivered in my opinion.

blurr

Hyouka 21-22

As much as I liked these two episodes (they were as good as I had expected them to be) I was overwhelmed with the disappointing feeling that there's no sequel to it and that there's no ChitandaxHoutarou happening.

I've heard my friends go on and on about it but now that I actually watched it, I can say it was deserving of the praise. Beautifully paced and well narrated stories, light on drama; really captured the school life aspect well, I actually hope KyoAni produce a cooking show after that cooking contest episode. As a KyoAni production, it's only second to Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya for me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 15:

Well, we knew it was going to happen sooner or later,
though I gotta say Fumitan's betrayal feels flat mainly because it doesn't seem to be accomplishing much other then giving her a much drawn out conflict of consciousness which has gotten old. Also, yea, this is series that is not pulling any punches as Atra has learned. I also liked the conflict between Biscuit and his brother a whole lot more then the other guy because this was much more nuanced.

Iron Blood Orphans 15

The fat guy reminds me of every fat dude in NTR doujins. COUGH!!! COUGH!!! Anyway. Wow talk about getting set the fuck up.
Everything is completely falling apart now. I'm trying to see the logic in why they beat the shit out of Atra thinking she was Kudelia. I mean I would expect someone has actually seen Kudelia before! Biscuit's brother also didn't turn out to be the complete shitstain I thought they were going to angle him to be.

Haikyuu S2 15

Wow this episode was legit good. I love it when side-characters get the spotlight. It's nice that this show spends so much time with all the characters because it makes it super hype when they do something good in a match. I also really like how the opposing team is always likeable, I'm always rooting for them in a way.

Daichi was this episode's MVP
Johzenji is just all around lovable. Yuuji Terushima has such good folks around him.

Sooooo much to catch up on

Terror in Resonance 1

Well damn, that was awesome! I'm highly intrigued. Hope the rest of the season delivers. Great music and animation, by the way. Lisa was bumming me out a bit, though. Poor girl.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dimension W Episode 2:

A much better episode then last week as we begin to fill out the supporting and recurring cast. I am going to say this right now, Mira right now is kind of the millstone of this series because she feels like a character out of one of these shitty Light Novel works rather than a serious sienen production. I do understand that they are trying to engage in contrasting dichotomies both in terms of personality and technology but it just falls flat because Kyoma doesn't really give a shit.

Defuser

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans ep 15
Abuse when young, guy she likes kissed another girl, cooks for whole Tekkadan but the boys rather fawn over Kudelia and now this. Being Atra is suffering.Did Atra kick somebody's dog or what?

Anyway it's hard to hate
Savarin, the guy does have good intentions that he willing to do anything to save the slum.

pbayne

Iron Blood Orphans 15

The fat guy reminds me of every fat dude in NTR doujins. COUGH!!! COUGH!!! Anyway. Wow talk about getting set the fuck up.
Everything is completely falling apart now. I'm trying to see the logic in why they beat the shit out of Atra thinking she was Kudelia. I mean I would expect someone has actually seen Kudelia before! Biscuit's brother also didn't turn out to be the complete shitstain I thought they were going to angle him to be.

Yeah that scene baffled me as well.
I get that Biscuit's brother was desperate and had a anyone will do mentality but isn't Kudelia one of the famous people in the show's world?

I wouldn't say everytings falling apart but it was a pretty bad oversight.

Ascheroth

Dimension W - 02

That was lots of cool. Much better then the first episode.
Some nice hints about Kyoumas backstory, a new interesting character and a
dimensional collapse.
I can now say I'm completely on board.

Qurupeke

Dimension W 2

The show isn't perfect but it's still pretty good, I guess I'll keep watching. I really liked the Loser and the scenes that followed him were pretty unexpected. I'm still not hooked on this, but it has cool action scenes and the story is interesting so far. What I liked the most is probably the fact that this isn't a down to Earth show as I thought at first, despite the main character being a human. Also, robot girl is still too cute.

pbayne

Dimension W 2

Digging Mira's new outfit, big improvement. In fact all the character designs are really superb so far. Action looked smooth as hell at times.

I liked that Mira was instantly useful, I feared she was just going to be a passenger but nah she got to do some cool stuff. I guess the setup is somewhat like Darker than Black that your not really following the 'good guys' and there seems to a lot of shades of grey as to whats happening.

Holy shit at that
Berserk level monstrosity that happened to that guy.

JCG

Didn't know Taniguchi is directing Active Raid, it looks so awful :(

The studio is still Production IMS after all. Which is why I can't imagine anyone would expect the broadcast version to look pretty.

I do think the show itself is actually okay so far, considering the genre it is trying to be part of, but definitely not something for everyone's tastes.

phaze

Dimension W 02

This continues to positively surprise me. If it retains this level of execution, doesn't dabble in episodic filth and has some reasonably decent stopping point for its end, I'll remember it fondly. Hurray for normal set of clothes for cat x robot x loli girl.

lol@duckroll think Bubuki is bad, after rewatch the ED song 20 times(still looping right now btw) Reoko herself already enough made the show decent.
Man i can see Reoko-sama is top tier girl in this season.

Her character specifically was one of the big problems I had with the episode. It feels like the creators googled "evil female villain" and amalgated the popular responses into her. I hated that stupid evil grin that was permanently plastered on her face. And what was with that "You know this already of course, but her body is still the 16 year old body she was stuck in 24 years ago" nonsense that was dropped at the end? Is this Eva Rebuild 3.0?

Russ T

Banned
Glad you liked it, I see you changed your avatar too haha.

I wish more folks here put it on their backlog it really is great to marathon.

Yeah there's very few bad things I could say about Natsume's Book of Friends, and all of those things would just be nitpicking, which I try not to do TOO much. It's really goooooood.

Terror in Resonance 3

That was great. I like that the police
have already been able to solve a riddle this early on. I'm glad this doesn't seem to be a riddle of the week type show.
I'm really hoping they reveal more of the past soon. I don't want it to be stretched out over the course of the entire season.

It's good. I'll say that.
Three episodes in and I'd have to agree. I'm really liking it so far.

blurr

Dimension W 02

This show seems good but I have to say I'm not feeling too strong about it. I'm still gonna keep watching it of course.
Dimensional collapse was an interesting phenomenon.

thenexus6

Terror in Resonance 3

That was great. I like that the police
have already been able to solve a riddle this early on. I'm glad this doesn't seem to be a riddle of the week type show.
I'm really hoping they reveal more of the past soon. I don't want it to be stretched out over the course of the entire season.

Three episodes in and I'd have to agree. I'm really liking it so far.

I might watch this again sometime, its nice and short. I really liked the soundtrack too.

Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi / Erased episode 2

Certainly is interesting. I am quite curious seeing where this one goes.

sonicmj1

I might watch this again sometime, its nice and short. I really liked the soundtrack too.

It's not just that the soundtrack is great (though it is), it's how it gets used. In all his shows, Watanabe knows exactly how to apply the songs he has, and that's just as true here. Episode 4 has two wonderful moments matching music and direction right on top of each other.

The show has other problems, but they're not as apparent in the first half.

Just T

Myriad Colors Phantom World: 2

It still looks good but beyond that I’m not sure what to make of this yet. I wonder how deep the plot will try to be as it goes along or will it just be zany hijinks for the most part. O and those chants are going to get annoying, especially Koito’s.

Dagashi Kashi: 2

Didn’t like this one as much as the first, wasn’t terrible just mundane.

Assassination Classroom S2: 2

It was a bit obvious but unique attempt from Kayano lol. Korosensei being bribed was funny too. And figured things would get serious soon, now another match with Itona.

Russ T

Banned
Steins;gate 18

"If I go back to being a boy, I won't be allowed to like you."

Oof, Japan. Oof.

Okabe's so close to getting over that awkward attitude, but doesn't quite make it...

Defuser

Dimension W ep 2
That Loser guy is like he came out of a Persona game. An improvement to the first episode with more characters, more background story to the MC and actual action.

Terror in Resonance: 1 - 11
Worked my way through this because it cropped up on Netflix.
It was good, but a bit .. inconsistent?
Maybe I failed to connect with the characters, or care about them too much.
The fat & lazy partner cop felt like a cheap overused joke.
It failed to rise to greatness anyway, but I enjoyed how grim it could be when it really wanted to commit to awfulness.

Sekko Boys: 1
A real wait and see will have to be taken. Could be funny, but the first episode didn't garner more than a chuckle. Disappointing start I feel.

Tabi Machi Late Show: 1
Holy tiny bit of animation Mr Affleck!
Intriguing suggestions about the older Chef's past, and I liked her inner monologue about unfair admiration, but I wonder how the show will progress from her. Interested.

Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories: 1
Sad that I have missed it until now, given the show seems to have started in 2013. While predictable, I found the first story suitably creepy. Definitely interested.

Jarmel

Banned
Dimension W-2
uGIgJuv.jpg

Early screenshot of Persona 5.
Still really good despite a few dialogue quirks, mainly Albert's speech. I think I liked this a bit more than the opening episode as this didn't have to set things up so much and Mira being cute. It definitely reminds me of Darker than Black in how bombastic the show is while still retaining that serious, almost horrific, element underneath.
ZaVFGnF.gif

My heart, it's caving in.
We also got some background on the characters in that Kyouma is a war veteran and probably superhuman. I liked how they set this up earlier by having Kyouma keep up with Loser despite being on foot. There also seems to be a running theme about New Tesla fucking things up and covering them up. I wonder if this is some allegory about big oil in modern times. Both villains so far have
lost their families to New Tesla and were seeking revenge so I imagine that aspect will continue to be a big component going forward. Not to mention New Tesla covering the dimensional collapse and Kyouma seemingly did some shady shit during the war too.
As for Mira, it's cute how she tries to think of herself as human despite you know, leaping from roof to roof. Oh and her 'hairpins' wagging is kawaii. I thought the doctor invented her but turns out it was his wife which makes sense that just because you're an energy engineer essentially, doesn't make you an expert in robotics. Also it's kinda fucked up that
she was there watching when the family was gunned down.
In regards to the animation, Ebata's presence as animation direction can clearly be felt in this episode too. The action sequence in the middle was pretty well animated, just for it being a chase scene. As for the
dimensional collapse, the artstyle was sort of amazing and unexpected. It's this weird abstract type of art that works well in contrast to the regular artstyle in the show, thus giving it a horror vibe.
Definitely threw me for a loop. I wonder if it looks like that in the manga or the anime came up with that, either way it's super cool.

Dimension W 02

Yea I was totally expecting Loser to turn out to be some kind of funny comic relief character, but he certainly turned out to be far from it to this case.
Having less than half of a face hidden behind a mask isn't amusing as all. Gotta say what the fuck at the dimensional collapse end result holy fuck that is a insanely bad result should those coils go outta whack. Also wondering what the hell is up with Kyoma, at first I thought his skill were just regular anime bullshit but they were way too super human at points for that to be the case and well seems the super human thought isn't too far off it seems.

Grimgar 02

I wonder how you guys think about they use a MV to adapt the LN's in town non-battle part.
I like first part fighting scene though, show how sucks they are, and show the important message: kill or get killed.
And is Nakamura browse gaf? when i think the show will adapt the fan service should happen in this episode and you guys will complain about it, but they end up just skip it lol(kidding, no way they can do one episode that fast)

Jarmel

Banned
Oh and since I can easily see someone doing it, please nobody show (like screenshots or videos) what happens at the end of Dimension W's second episode. You know what I'm talking about. It's not a major spoiler but it still kinda is.

Grimgar - 02

That poor goblin, I felt so bad for him. Fuck these guys.
It was fun to further seeing their inexperience regarding tactics and weapon skills. I liked their believable reactions and body language while trying to take a life, and how it isn't always quite that simple.

The middle segment with the song went on for too long though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh and since I can easily see someone doing it, please nobody show (like screenshots or videos) what happens at the end of Dimension W's second episode. You know what I'm talking about. It's not a major spoiler but it still kinda is.

Too late for that.

Grimgar Episode 2

Already using an insert song in just the second episode? I loved that whole montage of their day after doing their Gobs quest earlier. I love this type of show with newbies being thrown right into the wild and having to deal with things fast. Like Haruhiro or Ranta said its kill or be killed. Easily both get the MVP award for be for both the Gobs event and just everything later on.

It was such a feel good episode overall, nice calming music, great vocalist for the song, and just good oh good times. Ranta is quite a character and always fun to see in his extremely confident self.

blurr

Some shorts I saw

Oshiete Galko-chan 01-02

This is so far the most entertaining short of the lot. Jokes can come off as a bit dirty, they're pretty funny and visually charming.

Ojisan to Marshmallow 01-02

I just like to see potential romantic relationships. It is funny but not as much as Galko chan and it's really short like 3-4minutes.

Sekkou Boys 01-02

This one is funny too but hit or miss. I like the concept and I'm glad they stuck to 10 minute shorts.

I have not picked so many shows in any season.

A month ago I was only planning on watching Drrrx2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom