• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schwarzesmarken Episode 2

fripSide delivers yet another great song. I think their last three have all been great (Luminize [Buddyfight], Two Souls - Toward The Truth - [Owari no Serafu], Black Bullet [Black Bullet]) and this one has continued the trend. Please do more.

I like the concept and entry of Schwarzesmarken for the Muv Luv Alternative Universe (cause military v aliens is always such an awesome concept), and I love the human v human political stuff still going on, but I still cant feel that it is a step down from Total Eclipse :(.

Eberbach is good and some of the characters are still carbon copies of others but everyone is basically a notch beyond how they were in TA. :(

Oh well fortress class was good.

Phatmac

Poor Atra got it rough this episode. I'm curious about this masked man but the overall show has been in a decline for quite a while. Hoping it gets better.

John Blade

Almost done watching Sakura Wars OVA. Look like watching the TV show was the best way to start as watching this now make sense in a way of the game story line. Still, a fun OVA even though it kinda follow the same issue I have with Sakura Taisen: Ecole de Paris. Will post a quick impression soon.

Squalor

I'm ashamed I gave Active Raid episode 2 a chance. What an actively boring and bland anime.

This thing is fucking awful.

Russ T

Banned
you should probably watch the movie before the beta episode, since the beta episode is a lead-up to steins;Gate 0

Wasn't even aware there WAS a movie until just before I read your post when a friend told me about it. From what I gather, though, the movie is a follow-up to the series, and the beta episode is a lead-in to an alternate story? Either way, I'll probably watch the movie first.

Almost done watching Sakura Wars OVA. Look like watching the TV show was the best way to start as watching this now make sense in a way of the game story line. Still, a fun OVA even though it kinda follow the same issue I have with Sakura Taisen: Ecole de Paris. Will post a quick impression soon.

I really, really enjoyed Sakura Trick the first time I watched it through. The OVA was one of the best parts.

Phatmac

The action was great like last week which is good. Love this Loser guy and his flamboyant attitude. Things got pretty crazy with that eldritch monster at the end there. Shame on our MC for not calling her cute this episode. She's the best.
1453042002410.jpg

Concrete Revolutio 04-05

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm not seeing what others are seeing in this. I'm all for twists and interesting takes in the superhero genre but calling this interesting would be pushing it. People keep talking about this show so I decided I would give it another shot but I'm still not enjoying it.

Eridani

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Looks like there is a lot of shows and movies I'll need to check out in the future.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 04-05

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm not seeing what others are seeing in this. I'm all for twists and interesting takes in the superhero genre but calling this interesting would be pushing it. People keep talking about this show so I decided I would give it another shot but I'm still not enjoying it.

I wouldn't force it if you're not enjoying it at the moment. Next ep is about a band granted less than ideal powers and how they deal with that. Ep 7 is an A+ ep featuring Earth-chan. Ep 8 is about the downfall of the hero you've seen Jiro idolize what with all the pictures on the wall.

if none of that catches your interest, there's no harm in cutting ties from a show simply because it's not for you.

Mailbox

What the heck is the beta episode? First time I hear about it.

Its an alternate version of episode 23 that was released in december.

It leads into steins;gate 0 which will also get an anime... eventually (all we really know is that the anime is greenlit.)

I was surprised when I randomly saw it on MAL while doing some random browsing :p

Qurupeke

Concrete Revolutio 04-05

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

I enjoyed it because of how "grey" everything is. I think it's already apparent, but there are not good or bad guys in this. It's mostly about which ideals each character represents and what they'll do to accomplish their objectives. Even the main team isn't the good guys. Or even characters like Jiro and Kikko, they aren't 100% good. I think it's a rather interesting take to the superheroes genre. Also, this show isn't just about superheroes, and this is why I like it even more. Oh, and it's worth mentioning that it parallels stuff from our world's history. For example, this Kaiju arc and nuclear bombs. And there are even more if you search about it. It's really an interesting take on such matters.

Anyway, imo it gets even better on the later half, so please don't drop it! (Ep 6 is a bit weak though)

Squalor

The action was great like last week which is good. Love this Loser guy and his flamboyant attitude. Things got pretty crazy with that eldritch monster at the end there. Shame on our MC for not calling her cute this episode. She's the best.
Just finished this.

Dimension W is definitely going to be a lot of fun. Love the style and action, and the character work has been good so far.

Russ T

Banned
Hm, watching Steins;gate episode 23 beta, it seems like it's leading into 0 following the timeline where
Okabe DOESN'T try to save Kurisu a second time, eventually leading to him making that video 15 years in the future to send back to the Okabe from the original episode 23
?

Spoiler-marked 'cause I see some weren't aware of the episode's existence.

Concrete Revolutio 04-05

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's a show with a lot of promise that is rarely coherent enough to pull it together. It doesn't change much from where you are, if you don't like it that probably won't change.

Yamishibai S3 02

Ummmm, ok. I think kids are actually scarier then a big spider with kid faces for legs but you do you, Yamishibai

Edit: I think the most damning thing I can say about ConRevo is that I like Love Live more.

Narag

It's a show with a lot of promise that is rarely coherent enough to pull it together. It doesn't change much from where you are, if you don't like it that probably won't change.

I've been rewatching it and while I love it, it's missing something in the first cour to really pull everything together. Rather than filtering everything through Jiro, I think it needs something like Giant Robo's episode 6 that heavily featured the Magnificent 10 doing their things instead of just being hinted at nonstop. I think the closest we get is the bookends of episode 8 where Jiro faces down Hyouma and their allies being a surprise. Hopefully the second cour delivers on all these teases because the viewer really does deserve some release.

pbayne

Poor Atra got it rough this episode. I'm curious about this masked man but the overall show has been in a decline for quite a while. Hoping it gets better.

Wait what. Its obviously
McGillis
. Like there's nothing to be curious about other than : Why the fuck did you start wearing a mask?

I've seen the manga being around for a while, but holy shit I'm enjoying Dimension W. It also has one of the best opening and closing songs I've heard in a LONG time.

Holy shit, GATE 14 is going so hard right now.

I love that they are going more in than last season.

Phatmac

Wait what. Its obviously
McGillis
. Like there's nothing to be curious about other than : Why the fuck did you start wearing a mask?
It's pretty obvious so I'm wondering what kind of twist there going for. Otherwise why wear it when we know who you are?

Grimgar 2
This was much better than the opening episode and the fight scene was well done, but it still suffers greatly from the characters being dull as dishwater. And the male gaze and gratuitous posing by the female characters is still a bit much.

If I wanted to watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (which I do)... would I watch the series or the movies or both?

The 26 episode OVA series is the primary work. The first movie is a summary recap, while the second movie, Odyssey of the Celestial Ark, is a new story that does a good job of calling back to the first season, telling its own standalone story, and setting up teases for the second season simultaneously.

John Blade

Sakura-Taisen-General_05.jpg

This is a very entertaining OVA which the fans of the franchise (or mech fans) will love it even more and for those who don't have a clue on the franchise, will still like it but might get confuse of lost a bit as this OVA don't tell the entire story of Sakura Taisen game series.

Watching this OVA after finish the TV series is the best way to get into this OVA as you have a good general idea of the story line and plot. Not saying this OVA didn't explain it at all (unlike Sakura Taisen: Ecole de Paris) as it does give you a good general idea of what happens. A funny note from this, this entire OVA only tell the 1st half of the game which mean, if you want to found out what happen next, you need to play the game to found out. If you don't, watching the TV series might give you a good idea what happen next (note: this is someone who never play the game).

As for character development, it's have the same feel like the TV series. They have some sort of individuals personality but at the same time, they're stereotypical which mean no room of development of the characters (aka: underdeveloped feel). I guess this is okay for the OVA because of the limited time they can develop the characters (which is understandable) and also people who are going to watch the OVA, most likely play the games and very familiar with the characters by now.

Because this franchise is mostly known only in Japan (as the game was only produce for Japanese audience and didn't really reach into the Western world except for the PS2/Wii game), most people here have a very limited knowledge of the franchise. For this reason, I would recommend to watch the TV series 1st to get a good general idea of what happen before you watch this OVA as both are telling the same general story line. Watching the OVA with limited knowledge will make it unsatisfying when you did finish the show.

Overall, a fun show to watch and might be one of the better show in the franchise.

I really, really enjoyed Sakura Trick the first time I watched it through. The OVA was one of the best parts.

Well... will say the same thing here as I like this OVA. Kinda wish they make another TV series for this franchise but I think it's better they don't drag this into the mud. The franchise is own by Sega right? Are they doing anything with this franchise right now?

This is a very entertaining OVA which the fans of the franchise (or mech fans) will love it even more and for those who don't have a clue on the franchise, will still like it but might get confuse of lost a bit as this OVA don't tell the entire story of Sakura Taisen game series.

Watching this OVA after finish the TV series is the best way to get into this OVA as you have a good general idea of the story line and plot. Not saying this OVA didn't explain it at all (unlike Sakura Taisen: Ecole de Paris) as it does give you a good general idea of what happens. A funny note from this, this entire OVA only tell the 1st half of the game which mean, if you want to found out what happen next, you need to play the game to found out. If you don't, watching the TV series might give you a good idea what happen next (note: this is someone who never play the game).

As for character development, it's have the same feel like the TV series. They have some sort of individuals personality but at the same time, they're stereotypical which mean no room of development of the characters (aka: underdeveloped feel). I guess this is okay for the OVA because of the limited time they can develop the characters (which is understandable) and also people who are going to watch the OVA, most likely play the games and very familiar with the characters by now.

Because this franchise is mostly known only in Japan (as the game was only produce for Japanese audience and didn't really reach into the Western world except for the PS2/Wii game), most people here have a very limited knowledge of the franchise. For this reason, I would recommend to watch the TV series 1st to get a good general idea of what happen before you watch this OVA as both are telling the same general story line. Watching the OVA with limited knowledge will make it unsatisfying when you did finish the show.

Overall, a fun show to watch and might be one of the better show in the franchise.

Well... will say the same thing here as I like this OVA. Kinda wish they make another TV series for this franchise but I think it's better they don't drag this into the mud. The franchise is own by Sega right? Are they doing anything with this franchise right now?

If only the franchise got more love in the West. So Long My Love was so good.

So while watching the Erased OP for the umpteenth time, I decided to pause to see exactly what was going on with Satoru on the roof at the end, and well. I guess we know what the culprit looks like.

Jarmel

Banned
So while watching the Erased OP for the umpteenth time, I decided to pause to see exactly what was going on with Satoru on the roof at the end, and well. I guess we know what the culprit looks like.
hahahaha

I kinda figured it was that person anyway as in stories like this, the person has to be significant and close to the victims. Not to mention
he's shown earlier in the OP too but in a more nonchalant way.

Qurupeke

Nice find.
At least he doesn't look like adult Satoru from this angle. That bit in the OP a few seconds before the roof sequence had me worrying. Still, I find it very odd that they're showing the killer like that. I wonder if there's more to it, I can't really think of a good reason why a mystery show would show the culprit's face... Also, that's not the teacher right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom