• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want to know what really seals it with how dry the mecha well has been as of late?

How many mecha shows released lately have actually had a large focus on the robots themselves?

Most of the time they're really just, "there". Like anime studios just put giant robots in their shows because they're anime and anime has giant robots sometimes.

Good mecha shows place an emphasis on the relationship between the mecha and its pilot.

Shin Mazinger Z has Kouji be very attached to Mazinger and the show goes to great lengths to show just how much power he's suddenly in control of, saying he can be either God, or the Devil.

Evangelion focuses a lot on how much of a toll piloting Unit 01 has on Shinji, both mentally and physically.

Gurren Lagann is itself a literal combination of both Simon and Kamina's bond as brothers.

Tetsujin 28-go? Shotarou basically sees the main mecha in that one as his own brother.

Now look at something like Comet Lucifer, which while having decent mecha action, completely falls flat on its face regarding the mecha aspect of the story. The MC does literally nothing but summon the mecha when needed and it isn't even piloted by him
until later on
. There's no backstory regarding him and the mech, no real personal attachment, nothing. Robots in that world aren't even given an explanation as to why they're a part of the world in the show.

I'm sure you're all wondering why I'm bringing this up at this point, so here's why. So Bubuki Buranki as of episode 2 from what I hear, has giant robots in it. What part of anything leading up to that show in its advertising indicated that it was a mecha? Were they in some PV I missed? Even if they were, it's not like it would have mattered, because the show probably isn't going to be about the robots.

No, they're just going to be tools that you could replace with anything just to create action scenes. That's what my point is. Shows don't want to tell a story about the robots anymore, they just want to have that stuff on the side while some other story plays out.

It really makes me sad, as a huge fan of this genre. It told some great stories. I'll never forget how I felt when I saw the first Giga Drill Break, or when I saw the Gunbuster rising out of the ship with its arms crossed. Genuine moments like those don't happen in mecha anymore. Light-hearted fun adventures with giant robots don't happen anymore. The super robot spirit is basically gone.

What was once of the great anime genres is now next to nothing nowadays. But even as I always hold onto hope, with the announcement of FMP S4 and a Jinraiger anime in the works, when I hear things like how mecha as a concept is bad and how much people unironically love Cross Ange, that's when the depression starts to settle in.

/rant.

Love Live 04

tumblr_mz1q9aQPmU1qi4q0lo4_1280.jpg

best idol

duckroll

If Babako Bibiku is your shining example of what is wrong with mecha today, I think you need to re-evaluate everything. Boboki Bebeka is everything that's wrong with anime today. :p

If Babako Bibiku is your shining example of what is wrong with mecha today, I think you need to re-evaluate everything. Boboki Bebeka is everything that's wrong with anime today. :p

This tactic of yours is working because I now internally think of the show as Babako Bibiku.

Constantly lamenting the death of mecha is becoming this uncomfortable gimmick.

I just can't help myself sometimes. It all comes back to me about how much of a trainwreck TRY was when I think of GBF and how there's been next to no mecha shows with even a sliver of genuine 2D super robot fun ever since GBF TRY.

I just can't help myself sometimes. It all comes back to me about how much of a trainwreck TRY was when I think of GBF and how there's been next to no mecha shows with even a sliver of genuine 2D super robot fun ever since GBF TRY.

Considering Iron Blooded Orphans is one of the better mecha shows as of late, maybe having less mecha is actually the ideal

Its no Cross Ange tho. Kudelia needs to cut her hair and go Ange mode.

I'm sure you're all wondering why I'm bringing this up at this point, so here's why. So Bubuki Buranki as of episode 2 from what I hear, has giant robots in it. What part of anything leading up to that show in its advertising indicated that it was a mecha? Were they in some PV I missed? Even if they were, it's not like it would have mattered, because the show probably isn't going to be about the robots.

I mean... the robots play a central role in the story such as it is; the whole first two episodes are about reviving and piloting one. But the whole show is just a transparent attempt to pander who people who like things like Gurren Lagaan without really caring about what kind of story it's telling.

What was once of the great anime genres is now next to nothing nowadays. But even as I always hold onto hope, with the announcement of FMP S4 and a Jinraiger anime in the works, when I hear things like how mecha as a concept is bad and how much people unironically love Cross Ange, that's when the depression starts to settle in.

You're seriously becoming delusional.

I've started to take this stand that if a show wants to make up stupid terms for the sake of it, unless they earn it, I'm not going to respect it. :)

The anime is being promoted as "BBK/BRNK" anyway, so who cares if we fill in our own vowels?

-Minsc-

PSO2 -The Animation- Ep. 2

I invested a lot of time in this game across the Dreamcast and GameCube versions. It was the days of my early twenties. Fun times from a different era. I personally never hit level 200, it was quite a grind to get there. At level 151 I wasn't even 1/4 of the way in exp.

24.jpg

Logic dictates I shouldn't watch this anime. PSO2's grandfather was chunk of my life so I do feel compelled to watch. I'll do it for science, I guess.

In the year 2000 Sega announced that it would within the year create a new world in that virtual world, the internet, and draw the front line in network gaming for the whole world.

Cornbread78

Utawarerumono ep.15
Well, that got super bloody and super dark. The Yamato generals are complete assholes, well at least three of them. I guess Haku and crew is also getting a snapshot of the brutality of war, but in this case, something more that his harem girls had to save him from his own morality. Crazy stuff.

Gundam IBO 15

And everything is going to shit. I mean the
Fumitan thing
was obvious from the beginning, but these kids seem to be involved in something much bigger than what they can handle. They do have a giant mech though, so it should all be fine in the end right. As long as Mikazuki stays alive and all.

Narag

It might be easier to swallow if you'd actually watched more shows. Checking your malgraph for a mal account last updated in October, we have:

YcUncrI.png

Pretty sure you've watched stuff like GBF Try, Diebuster and Shin Getter vs Neo Getter Robo but there's still substantial gaps you could spend time filling rather than doing this awkward "woe is me" thing about shows you probably won't watch anyhow. I mean you took the L on Comet Lucifer but the argument above basically boiled down to being irritated about bad shows being bad. You'd probably actually have fun with the genre again if you'd stop parroting opinions picked up on twitter and watched the damn shows. I know this comes across as a big call out but it isn't. Just at a glance there's stuff like

• The Big O
  • Dangaioh
  • Escaflowne
  • Turn-A Gundam
  • Zeta Gundam
  • Galactic Cyclone Braiger
  • Layzner
  • VOTOMS
  • Mellowlink
  • Mazinger Z
  • Zambot-3
  • Daitarn-3
  • New Getter Robo
  • Patlabor
  • Macross

just to name a few. That's like 500+ episodes worth of content along with associated movies. I mean it's cool and all to be upset about current production but to claim to be a fan of the genre and latching onto shows on the off-chance they might be good is terribly unproductive when you could check out proven quantities while increasing your genre literacy. You're hyped for a J9 continuation because of some robot key art. Take some time to learn about why J9 was a thing. It just rubs me the wrong way because I think better of you than this and it's irritating to see you take this disingenuous approach to the death of mecha when you haven't even begun to celebrate when it was alive.

...You know what is a cool mecha? Big O.

tumblr_n5eeiiJ9x81rjxyrgo6_400.gif

It punches stuff hard, and that's radical.

Also don't finish Captain Earth.

It's bad.

It's really bad.

Grimgar 1-2

This show has some cool ideas that it absolutely sucked at delivering on. With the exception of the one loud, annoying guy, everyone comes off as flat and boring, while the annoying guy is, well, annoying. The best I can say about any of them are "You are human beings, therefore, I vaguely care about you not dying." The tone is all over the place, the pacing is bad, and basically every character has made at least one decision stupid enough that I have little hope for any of them being smart enough to accomplish anything. I like the idea enough that I'll probably give it one more episode, but it'll need to be a pretty drastic improvement for me to consider it worth my time for the rest of the season. Biggest disappointment of the season for me, so far.

As long as we're talking about Mechas, I'm just gonna say it.

Mechas/Gundams should not wear capes. It doesn't make any sense for a robot to have something that could block vision or hinder flexibility.

Also capes don't work in space.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Mechas/Gundams should not wear capes. It doesn't make any sense for a robot to have something that could block vision or hinder flexibility.

Counterpoint:
gundam___sandrock_custom_by_bats5-d5egd2m.jpg

And humanoid robots fighting with swords do?

sonicmj1

I'm going back to my movie that's from an actually dead genre. Why won't Hollywood make more Westerns? I can't even remember the last time one came out. Maverick in '94?

I love that stupidass show.

If we're not counting Tarantino's output, True Grit wasn't that long ago.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Was anyone else blissfully watching G Gundam when Tequila Gundam showed up and completely shattered their immersion with a mecha sombrero? I mean, come on, no respect for science at all.

I'm going back to my movie that's from an actually dead genre. Why won't Hollywood make more Westerns? I can't even remember the last time one came out. Maverick in '94?

If you are being serious:

3:10 to Yuma
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men (depending on how you define a Western, I suppose)

True Grit was mentioned by someone else.

this "gif" is worse than the quoted post gg

The first gif I posted was giving me a headache. :p I compromised with myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom