• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall one of those episodes, either 7 or 8, being one of the worst looking episodes of the show that I had seen. It was so hilariously bad, but still... entertaining. Lol.

The animation can definitely get rough in spots, which is why I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the BD, as I figure they must have cleaned up at least some of it for that. But the general design established for the setting, the characters, the creatures, and the narrative itself keeps things engaging even in the roughest spots. I've enjoyed every episode.

Really, while I certainly appreciate having a consistently polished production, that's not necessary for making a successful anime if you've got a strong enough artistic vision guiding the whole process. Sometimes the struggle of artists to get made what they want to make makes the work more valuable!

What if I told you the Maganac Corps did protect against the elements?

Well then I would be completely wrong, and be shamed in front of everyone.

Good thing I'm not, and if I was, you out of consideration for our friendship, wouldn't correct me.

Because we're friends. WE'RE FRIENDS NARAG!

Also Garo is far from a perfect production. It definitely struggles visually, especially early on.

That said, I would say that Garo makes up for it somewhat with good art design. Especially in the horrors.

duckroll

Really, while I certainly appreciate having a consistently polished production, that's not necessary for making a successful anime if you've got a strong enough artistic vision guiding the whole process. Sometimes the struggle of artists to get made what they want to make makes the work more valuable!

I think it helps that Garo has a very attractive and unique character design style. It looks like a comic book but not really in a specifically generic western or anime way. Stylized look, flat colors, but very striking.

Narag

Well then I would be completely wrong, and be shamed in front of everyone.

Good thing I'm not, and if I was, you out of consideration for our friendship, wouldn't correct me.

Because we're friends. WE'RE FRIENDS NARAG!

I have no friends here (aside from duckroll and Zach). Everyone else just bullies me.

Okay, okay. New anime idea. It's the year 3100. Turn of the century, A lone figure clashes with the horizon, it comes closer - its massive poncho covered frame lumbering over the landscape. At one hip hangs a gargantuan Smith and Wesson; at the other, a Katana and Wazikashi set.

From the distance, the sound of hooves and a mechanical neighing resounds. Six massive mecha equipped with the finest Levi Strauss armor and cowboy hats encircle the lone mech. His beady robotic eyes asses the situation and he growls, "One, two, three, four, five, and six. Six, the perfect number." The leader of the bandit mechs pulls his mecha-horse to a halt, asking, "I thought three was the perfect number?"

Close up on the lone mech as he replies, "I've got six more bullets in my gun." Fade to black.

I call it Rurouni Gundam: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio - 6
Not that important of an episode in the grand scheme of things, but pretty good for an episode about 4 random characters. Although I did find the part where
they just glossed over the death of one of their friends kind of dumb.

Anime GAF I need your help. What do I watch tonight? Do I catch up on IBO and watch the latest episode of Durarara X2 or do I watch the DBZ Cooler films? I shall leave it to you.

Grimgar 02

What I would imagine anyone's first real battle in a place like this would be like: scary, messy, gory. And then in the end I'm sure you too would get pangs of regret. I like how the show is handling all of these things.

Okay, okay. New anime idea. It's the year 3100. Turn of the century, A lone figure clashes with the horizon, it comes closer - its massive poncho covered frame lumbering over the landscape. At one hip hangs a gargantuan Smith and Wesson; at the other, a Katana and Wazikashi set.

From the distance, the sound of hooves and a mechanical neighing resounds. Three massive mecha equipped with the finest Levi Strauss armor and cowboy hats encircle the lone mech. His beady robotic eyes asses the situation and speaks, "One, two, three, four, five, and six. Six, the perfect number." The leader of the bandit mechs pulls his mecha-horse to a halt, asking, "I thought three was the perfect number?"

Close up on the lone mech as he replies, "I've got six more bullets in my gun." Fade to black.

I call it Rurouni Gundam: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

You shouldn't be giving these ideas away for free.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio - 6
Not that important of an episode in the grand scheme of things, but pretty good for an episode about 4 random characters. Although I did find the part where
they just glossed over the death of one of their friends kind of dumb.

I don't think it was necessarily unimportant to explore the idea of not every superhuman being created equally. Think you need a large range to sell the idea of the world. Next ep is like this one but with someone on the other end of the power spectrum. Please be excited.

You shouldn't be giving these ideas away for free.

If there was some sort of Indiegogo to keep them from being posted, I'd like to donate.

ibyea

Banned
I don't think it was necessarily unimportant to explore the idea of not every superhuman being created equally. Think you need a large range to sell the idea of the world. Next ep is like this one but with someone on the other end of the power spectrum. Please be excited.

If there was some sort of Indiegogo to keep them from being posted, I'd like to donate.

True, it did add to the world building. It was still a good episode so I don't mind either way.

The Big O - 2

CY-UySSW8AAHnje.png:large
CY-U2wqWYAAWp1_.png:large

CY-VA6ZWAAAwwRn.png:large
CY-VMJjWsAAo0Jc.png:large

Someone make a nope.gif out of this scene.

Show really nails that good Batman atmosphere. Roger's super enjoyable to watch and Big O's design is great.

Good stuff.

Russ T

Banned
After finishing Steins;Gate, I'm in the mood for something lighter.

I've got Gintama up right now, on my screen, and I love it (this is episode 77 I've just started, so a ways to go), but I dunno if that's quite what I'm looking for.

Someone tell me what to watch. Or should I just keep watching Gintama.

I've got Gintama up right now, on my screen, and I love it (this is episode 77 I've just started, so a ways to go), but I dunno if that's quite what I'm looking for.

Watch Perfect Blue, it's pretty lighthearted.

LotV was great! We also have total warhammer coming soon!

lol total war

Gintama

Watch SketDance

Cornbread78

Kare Kano ep.5
Pretty damn funny episode with all the craziness going on distracting our cute couple. New best bro for Arina should be an interesting addition as well.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar ep 2:

Ummm wow. Don't think an an mmo turned real anime has shown this perspective before. They are in an mmo right? The pacing is slow but the details are plentiful. That goblin fight was something. It makes me wonder if this anime will have a tragedy label on it or not.

Cornbread78

Baka to Test, just laugh with it.

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio - 7
That was really good.
Firstly, once again the superhuman bureau is looking quiet not right, trying to manipulate Earth-chan since the public considers everything she says as good, good. More importantly, wow I am impressed with Earth-chan's story, a robot who sees the world in binary good and evil, and feels good when someone is in trouble because in reality she was designed to be a weapon. I thought she was going to be just an obnoxious character, but that quickly turned around into something bittersweet. She can't help seeing things in black and white, and yet is confronted by a)that people are complicated and b)her very own nature, and so in the end resorts to lying to herself, the very same action that she just wholesale considers "evil".

This episode at the end contains a time skip post credit scene, which I really wish they wouldn't do post credit as I almost missed it until I noticed that there is still some time left.

Russ T

Banned
Gintama 79

An entire episode about four adult men with poop on their butts who have no toilet paper. And then they have sandpaper.

YES.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio - 7
That was really good.
Firstly, once again the superhuman bureau is looking quiet not right, trying to manipulate Earth-chan since the public considers everything she says as good, good. More importantly, wow I am impressed with Earth-chan's story, a robot who sees the world in binary good and evil, and feels good when someone is in trouble because in reality she was designed to be a weapon. I thought she was going to be just an obnoxious character, but that quickly turned around into something bittersweet. She can't help seeing things in black and white, and yet is confronted by a)that people are complicated and b)her very own nature, and so in the end resorts to lying to herself, the very same action that she just wholesale considers "evil".

This episode at the end contains a time skip post credit scene, which I really wish they wouldn't do post credit as I almost missed it until I noticed that there is still some time left.

Best ep in the show and complements episode 6 nicely.

Durarara X2 26

Oh Izaya you asshole, never change.

Izaya aside, this episode was largely about the ladies. It was an interesting episode overall.
Now the question is what's going to happen now that Celty's head is known to the public.

I really, really love the use of montage in Ikuhara's works. Especially Penguindrum. It's the kind of quick edits that are made in those scenes that just aren't possible in film that made me start watching anime in the first place.

Hey! You're the person who doesn't like pineapple pizza! D<

duckroll

The funny thing about CR S2 is that if they start in Shinka 46, and the pacing is similar to the first season, we'll be seeing Earth-chan again.... at around the same point she popped up in season 1. Mid-way. Lol.

ViciousDS

Banned
I just started watching arslan because of the dynasty warriors style game that's being developed in its name......wow

I really am liking this anime. Already #TeamDaryun as soon as he was introduced I liked him.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I just started watching arslan because of the dynasty warriors style game that's being developed in its name......wow

I really am liking this anime. Already #TeamDaryun as soon as he was introduced I liked him.

If actual Romance of the Three Kingdoms characters in your anime is something that interests you, consider the eternal legendary revered classic Souten Kouro.

Or Ikki Tousen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom