• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Nice find.
At least he doesn't look like adult Satoru from this angle. That bit in the OP a few seconds before the roof sequence had me worrying. Still, I find it very odd that they're showing the killer like that. I wonder if there's more to it, I can't really think of a good reason why a mystery show would show the culprit's face... Also, that's not the teacher right?

It's the teacher. Go to 0:14 in the OP. He has a different hairstyle and no glasses but he's wearing the same color suit and tie.

Edit: That's not the only time the culprit is shown in the OP. They give a big close up of him at
0:56 as he's bathed in red with his face behind the victims.

Goddamnit hosannainexcelsis, this is why I didn't want to really analyze the OP.

Qurupeke

It's the teacher. Go to 0:14 in the OP. He has a different hairstyle and no glasses but he's wearing the same color suit and tie.

Edit: That's not the only time the culprit is shown in the OP. They give a big close up of him at
0:56 as he's bathed in red with his face behind the victims.

Goddamnit hosannainexcelsis, this is why I didn't want to really analyze the OP.

I went to recheck the second episode. Teacher looks like that. I don't know, I kind of see the resemblance but honestly, both of them seem different.. I really want to believe it's not the teacher.

Yeh I'm not gonna participate in any Erased speculation. I'd rather think about the show's mysteries as I watch instead of actively looking for them in the meantime. It's why I decided to skip the OP (or at least put the video out of eye sight) because of how common it is to put major hints in those.

Grimgar - 02

While I liked the idea of the fight against the Goblin it's skewed a bit too heavily on portraying the protagonists as incompetent and the goblin appeared to be night invulnerable. Stabbed and sliced here and there. Then jaw and more punctuated by a knife, head partially split by a sword and he's still combat ready after a short breather? Uhm, okay. If anything this would be an indicator for some video game logic where the injuries simply wouldn't matter as much because that gob had high stats or something. The attempted brutal portrayal of the fight went also a bit over the top where it felt awkward.

Still it was nice seeing this kind of tough newbie encounter to begin with. The aftermath and relaxing town visit was quite nice.

And then I thought I'd be forced to drop the show anyways because they were going to ruin any kind of atmosphere they attempted to build by having some bathing fanservice on display but fortunately that got cut short.

Russ T

Banned
WAIT!

I missed an opportunity.

Only one gratuitous butt shot

Only one gratuitass shot

sorry

And then I thought I'd be forced to drop the show anyways because they were going to ruin any kind of atmosphere they attempted to build by having some bathing fanservice on display but fortunately that got cut short.

That was quite the blessing. Pretty pleased they didn't go that route.

Dimension W

This is a solid show, but obviously directed more towards a younger crowd than Bebop was. Any ambiguity in the relationships and symbolism are explicitly mentioned through conversation so the viewer can't miss them. Ambiguity being a key aspect of storytelling and one of the gifts given to us through modern cinematography, I can't honestly say I appreciate this, but it doesn't really detract from the shows entertainment value - and that is fine considering this show is not meant to be an art or thought piece. It's in the same vein as Bebop, but not on the same stage.

The action is solid though and the camera actions - while not particularly unique - use a lot of solid low shots to build tension and excitement. Particularly, the action scenes use a nice blend of above and below eyeline shots to create a strong sense of dynamicism. We very rarely see the camera go above eye level - which makes sense since this is an action anime, we want the characters to appear strong and powerful. Not much to really say here since almost every non-action shot is simply panning.

Loser and Kyoma are both frames of each other - Kyoma not using any coils and being fairly conservative, whereas Loser is flamboyant and makes use of coils in all aspects. Again, not very hard to pick this up from the beginning. They are on different sides at this point, and both have an assistant who uses technology to assist them. But the common history they have allows more of the world to be revealed without feeling too heavy handed.

A large proportion of wives are murdered in Dimension W. We have at least two in two episodes.

The dimensional collapse seemed.. strange. But I'm not an expert on dimensional implosion, so I won't argue too much.

I wasn't going to write very much about this show, but I happened to have a new reply window open so I just quickly tapped out some notes as I went along.

Squalor

I've seen the manga being around for a while, but holy shit I'm enjoying Dimension W. It also has one of the best opening and closing songs I've heard in a LONG time.
Yup, one of my favorite shows this season. Has a great style going for it.
Yeah, Dimension W is easily the third best show so far and the best action show. Although, I must admit that I did enjoy Bubuki Buranki's première a lot more than I had thought. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the second that's out.

I love that they are going more in than last season.
I had pretty much given up on GATE after the third episode even though there had seemed to be promise, but they really righted the ship after the slow-going introduction.

Season two or part two, whatever, is off to a great start.

Jarmel

Banned
I went to recheck the second episode. Teacher looks like that. I don't know, I kind of see the resemblance but honestly, both of them seem different.. I really want to believe it's not the teacher.

He has that scruffy hairline in the back. After 18 years he probably needed glasses and he changed his hairstyle. I'm guessing there is some modern component that takes place in 2006 with Satoru hunting down the older version of the teacher

It's also worth noting the killer is left-handed so somebody can check for that.

Komugi - 02
FLDE2fW.jpg
Finally. My dreams of seeing a robot police car getting whipped by a magical girl maid with ojousama laugh, is coming true!

This episode managed to quell my thirst in regards to a certain kind of theme. Each strike of the whip foiled my heart and mind further and further. The creative design of the receiver spoke to me in a way not many entertainment medium has. It brought me back to the younger days where times were simpler.
Kokona is expressing her wrath in form of hurting others. I think this symbolizes her upbringing of having to make her parents proud in the cruel Idol business.

It's been 18 years. The 2006 guy definitely looks like he could be an older version of the 1988 teacher.

Squalor

Huh, Grimgar episode 2 wasn't terrible, but Ranta's presence in the show is going to forever drag it down. What a waste of time that ending was. They might as well have just ended the episode. Wasted time. Wasted money. Ruined potential for what could have been an overall good episode. Womp, womp, anime.
What has this thread become. So much shitposting.
Every anime thread ever? I mean...
Komugi - 02

Finally. My dreams of seeing a robot police car getting whipped by a magical girl maid with ojousama laugh, is coming true!

Perhaps the best thing I can say about Dimension W is that it switches between being somewhat goofy to pretty serious smoothly.

The ending of episode 2 is pretty dark in comparison to everything that came before it, but it didn't out of place for the show. Which is saying something, because look at this fight scene.

Yeh I'm not gonna participate in any Erased speculation. I'd rather think about the show's mysteries as I watch instead of actively looking for them in the meantime. It's why I decided to skip the OP (or at least put the video out of eye sight) because of how common it is to put major hints in those.

Erased doesn't seem like an Agatha Christie style mystery where its only interest is in the construction of a cleverly staged puzzle where the narrative tries to obscure the real culprit so it can pull the rug out from under you at the end. So I don't personally see it as a big deal if I know who the culprit is ahead of the official reveal.

Squalor

Frame is a synonym to foil, friend. A foil character contrasts with another character in order to highlight particular qualities of the other character. Ergo, they "frame" them in a certain way.
Except it's not? "Foil" is a literary term that has been used for centuries. "Frame" is just a word that you think is loosely related. There is no frame in Dimension W. A "frame" would be a "frame story."

Erased doesn't seem like an Agatha Christie style mystery where its only interest is in the construction of a cleverly staged puzzle where the narrative tries to obscure the real culprit so it can pull the rug out from under you at the end. So I don't personally see it as a big deal if I know who the culprit is ahead of the official reveal.

The character drama has certainly been the focus more than the mystery so far.

Phatmac

I would've praised the battle with the goblin and say this episode was good but the pacing and bad peeping scene ruined it for me. Glad they're taking killing a sentient being seriously and making it difficult. I'm still confused as to why they had such a long scene with just music and not end it on a somber note instead of inserting a needless peeping scene. Strange pacing but I'll keep watching. I hope Ranta dies first. I just don't like him.

Huh, Grimgar episode 2 wasn't terrible, but Ranta's presence in the show is going to forever drag it down. What a waste of time that ending was. They might as well have just ended the episode. Wasted time. Wasted money. Ruined potential for what could have been an overall good episode. Womp, womp, anime.

Every anime thread ever? I mean...

Ranta is one of the best of the cast members, fully in line to receive great development, plus he contributed the mosts for Gobs.

I can't see how the last thing was a waste of time, there was only like two minutes on the clock so might as well do something like this instead of some bland rushed tease of the next day.

Jarmel

Banned
Do you support the book you're holding with your primary hand and use your other hand for support? Or is it the other way around?

Except it's not? "Foil" is a literary term that has been used for centuries. "Frame" is just a word that you think is loosely related. There is no frame in Dimension W. A "frame" would be a "frame story."

No, a "frame story" would be a frame story. My literature professor uses the terms 'frame" and "foil" interchangeably so I think - as much as I hate to bring my university into conversation - I might have some basis upon which to balance my argument. On another more relevant note to the current conversation, you obviously understood what I meant so the substitution of the word - regardless of whether I said "frame", "foil", or "dicks" - would have been effective based on the context.

Furthermore, if we want to take the argument to an even broader view of language, the entire thing comes down to descriptive vs prescriptive language.

Squalor

No, a "frame story" would be a frame story. My literature professor uses the terms 'frame" and "foil" interchangeably so I think - as much as I hate to bring my university into conversation - I might have some basis upon which to balance my argument. On another more relevant note to the current conversation, you obviously understood what I meant so the substitution of the word - regardless of whether I said "frame", "foil", or "dicks" - would have been effective based on the context.

Furthermore, if we want to take the argument to an even broader view of language, the entire thing comes down to descriptive vs prescriptive language.
Haha. That's cute you had a literature professor. I have degrees in English. Your professor is wrong.

Yes, I understood that you meant "foil." It's foil because that's a reciprocal term. "Frame" would just mean one character's purpose is to show another character in a particular light. It's clear that is not the purpose of either character. They each have meaning and conviction and agency. They're reciprocal characters. They're foils.

Jarmel

Banned
Squalor is right on this as foil is a much more accurate word than frame. You can have characters frame other characters but when you're talking about how similar they are despite being on other sides, they're foils. Loser did somewhat frame Kyouma's character by giving out information regarding Kyouma's background to the audience but Loser's existence in contrast to Kyouma's, are foils.

Haha. That's cute you had a literature professor. I have degrees in English. Your professor is wrong.

Okay. xD I do just go to some backwater school that no one has heard of, so I defer to your superior intellect. I am absolutely positive your schooling has more merit than mine. From now on, I will be sure to use the correct literary terms based off of the light reflecting from an object when talking about character contrasts. :p

Squalor is right on this as foil is a much more accurate word than frame. You can have characters frame other characters but when you're talking about how similar they are despite being on other sides, they're foils. Loser did somewhat frame Kyouma's character by giving out information regarding Kyouma's background to the audience but Loser's existence in contrast to Kyouma's, are foils.

Squalor is one hundred percent correct, but it's the difference between using "canine" and "hound".

Jarmel

Banned
It's also worth highlighting that I liked Kyouma's background as I thought it would be the usual, family died in coil related accident. That might still be true and
if they died in a similar way that the man did in episode 2, that has to be a pretty horrific way to go
but him also being a war vet that
specialized in anti-coil stuff, then it gives a bigger and longer context for his hatred of coils

Koufuku Graffiti 12 END

I like the sense of the passage of time that this whole series has had, moving steadily through the calendar year, and this graduation episode serves to cap it all off nicely. I think having that sense of time adds an extra dimension to these sorts of everyday life series. Hidamari Sketch, for instance, started out without it, since it deliberately told stories out of chronological order, but it moved more towards chronological storytelling as the anime progressed (partially I would imagine because there was less and less manga to select from), and I think that helped the later seasons.

jnFe3nW.jpg

INMrnw1.jpg

tzgAbeM.jpg

oCBaVxc.jpg

wzIMN3c.jpg

3YkaWs0.jpg

sPjz3kH.jpg

I liked how the picture of Ryo's grandmother continually changed throughout the episode, as if to indicate her active presence from beyond the grave.

This was a great show overall. It used the central concept of eating as a metaphor for relationships quite effectively, and sensitively depicted loneliness melting away upon contact with others. Of course, the production really elevated the material. Without such good music, such good backgrounds, such well-planned direction, such good animation - it would not have been as atmospheric and emotionally effective as it ended up being. I've said this before, but this show, handled essentially by the Nisekoi anime team in between the two seasons of that, is something of a miracle. Naoyuki Tatsuwa is definitely my favorite non-Oishi Shaft director.

I still haven't watched the new episode of DRRR or the last two episodes of IBO. I feel like that will be a common trend during the school semester.

e_i

Knights of Sidonia season 2

Great. Needs another season though. Tsumugi is best girl
is she part of Hoshijiro though?
I don't get why Tsumugi knew him.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Durararax2 Ketsu 2
Izaya is still an ass as ever.
Now that Celty head is known, i guess this really is the final arc.

Grimgar 2

First scene with Manato and Haruhiro is totally a death flag.
They cut down the fanservice, and focus more on the daily life of the trainee using a music video like scene. At least it was better than just stills panning.
Did Ranta just try to kill that cat/thing? That bridge is high.

Clov

I've said this before, but this show, handled essentially by the Nisekoi anime team in between the two seasons of that, is something of a miracle. Naoyuki Tatsuwa is definitely my favorite non-Oishi Shaft director.

Speaking of Shaft's directors, this is a topic I've been very curious about. Which directors at Shaft have done what? Who did Zetsubou Sensei, Madoka, etc? While Shinbo is credited as director on most of Shaft's projects (at least around the mid 2000s to early 2010s), from my understanding (as I've seen discussed in these threads) other people directed them while Shinbo served more as a "Chief Director". Do we have a clear picture of who did what at this point?

Speaking of Shaft's directors, this is a topic I've been very curious about. Which directors at Shaft have done what? Who did Zetsubou Sensei, Madoka, etc? While Shinbo is credited as director on most of Shaft's projects (at least around the mid 2000s to early 2010s), from my understanding (as I've seen discussed in these threads) other people directed them while Shinbo served more as a "Chief Director". Do we have a clear picture of who did what at this point?

Sure, you just have to look at whoever is credited as "Assistant Director" or "Series Director" or "Director" under Shinbo. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei was handled by Naoyuki Tatsuwa, Madoka was done by Yukihiro Miyamoto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom