• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh I need to finish that. Next weekend it is!

why

As long as we're talking about Mechas, I'm just gonna say it.

Mechas/Gundams should not wear capes. It doesn't make any sense for a robot to have something that could block vision or hinder flexibility.

Also capes don't work in space.

ur wrong

robot-damashii-side-ms-crossbone-gundam-x-1-kai-full-action-ver.jpg

Galko - 1

I'd like this more if it was filthier.

Don't worry, Prison School s2 will come to us

Jarmel

Banned
It's kinda funny Narag is bagging on Nintendoman and then talks about a genre where there's actually been a number of high quality movies in the past few years.

Django
H8teful
Bone Tomahawk
True Grit
The Revenant

Also 3:10 to Yuma is super good but that's from 2007.

Clov

I hope either Idea Factory or Aksys localizes this so I can romance Jyushimatsu. It's a pipe dream, unfortunately.

As long as we're talking about Mechas, I'm just gonna say it.

Mechas/Gundams should not wear capes. It doesn't make any sense for a robot to have something that could block vision or hinder flexibility.

Also capes don't work in space.

The cool looking cape is the only reason I want to build the MG Exia Ignition Mode model, though. :(

Sterok

Everything is better with capes. Mechs need capes. Magical girls need capes. Idols need capes. Soldiers need capes. High schoolers need capes. Just give capes to everyone, and anime will be saved.

You're seriously becoming delusional.

Trust me, I've seen people say both those things to me. That's no delusion.

It might be easier to swallow if you'd actually watched more shows. Checking your malgraph for a mal account last updated in October, we have:

YcUncrI.png

Pretty sure you've watched stuff like GBF Try, Diebuster and Shin Getter vs Neo Getter Robo but there's still substantial gaps you could spend time filling rather than doing this awkward "woe is me" thing about shows you probably won't watch anyhow. I mean you took the L on Comet Lucifer but the argument above basically boiled down to being irritated about bad shows being bad. You'd probably actually have fun with the genre again if you'd stop parroting opinions picked up on twitter and watched the damn shows. I know this comes across as a big call out but it isn't. Just at a glance there's stuff like

• The Big O
  • Dangaioh
  • Escaflowne
  • Turn-A Gundam
  • Zeta Gundam
  • Galactic Cyclone Braiger
  • Layzner
  • VOTOMS
  • Mellowlink
  • Mazinger Z
  • Zambot-3
  • Daitarn-3
  • New Getter Robo
  • Patlabor
  • Macross

just to name a few. That's like 500+ episodes worth of content along with associated movies. I mean it's cool and all to be upset about current production but to claim to be a fan of the genre and latching onto shows on the off-chance they might be good is terribly unproductive when you could check out proven quantities while increasing your genre literacy. You're hyped for a J9 continuation because of some robot key art. Take some time to learn about why J9 was a thing. It just rubs me the wrong way because I think better of you than this and it's irritating to see you take this disingenuous approach to the death of mecha when you haven't even begun to celebrate when it was alive.

You're 100% right on this. I'm fully aware that I do need to take time and watch more of the good stuff. And I definitely will.

It won't stop me from being depressed about the current state of the genre though. If anything, really celebrating when the genre was alive might end up making me more sad about it.

But, in all cases, you're right. Sorry for the rant.

Narag

It's kinda funny Narag is bagging on Nintendoman and then talks about a genre where there's actually been a number of high quality movies in the past few years.

Django
H8teful
Bone Tomahawk
True Grit
The Revenant

Also 3:10 to Yuma is super good but that's from 2007.

blaxploitation
tarantino wankfest
horror movie
coen brothers wankfest
leo suffering for an oscar

3:10's only good for Ben Foster. No art among these.

Maybe it's been awhile but I remember the actual Big O mech to be rather superfluous.

Yeah, I can see that. I thought most of the Megadeus stuff was contrived and didn't really fit much with the show anyway as a Batman-like thing.

You know what genre is really, really dead? Whatever Dwarf Fortress is.

Roguelikes and management sims are doing pretty well...

Do mantles count as capes? I love this sort of look.

Well, Raidou is the baddest mother fucker of all time.

Jarmel

Banned
You're 100% right on this. I'm fully aware that I do need to take time and watch more of the good stuff. And I definitely will.

It won't stop me from being depressed about the current state of the genre though. If anything, really celebrating when the genre was alive might end up making me more sad about it.

But, in all cases, you're right. Sorry for the rant.

The situation is what it is. We're not exactly getting a large number of cyberpunk anime either.

Go watch Patlabor and Big O. It'll make you feel better.

duckroll

Raido is one of those overrated niche games. The actual audience for the games is small no doubt, but even among that audience I find the praise overstated. The first game was unplayable dogshit. I picked up the second game after tons of people told me it was so much better. It was still shit. Just less shit. The only good thing I got out of it was the Raiho plushie.

Does a show really need a justification to include stylish art deco mechanical golems?

A show needs no justification to invent the line "Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty"

And it still doesn't mean people shouldn't watch Big O.

Even Armored Trooper Votoms would work without any robots.

Yeah I guess most shows with huge robots can work without huge robots but I wasn't really feeling it in Big O.

Raido is one of those overrated niche games. The actual audience for the games is small no doubt, but even among that audience I find the praise overstated. The first game was unplayable dogshit. I picked up the second game after tons of people told me it was so much better. It was still shit. Just less shit. The only good thing I got out of it was the Raiho plushie.

Wow this is the worst not Persona related SMT opinion I've seen ):

KanameYuuki

Awww I was hoping that Bubuki Buranki was going to be more of a RWBY show with cool weapons, kids wearing edgy clothes for no reason and cool combat sequences but it turned out to be a mecha anime : ( I've never liked anything related to mechas.

The show also gives me that Kill la Kill vibe with the generals, red themed powers and the female villian
and by that notion I find kind of easy to guess that Reoko-sama is Kaoruko, they mention she has the body of a 16 years old girl which is exactly the twins age. I dunno if I should spoiler it but better safe than sorry.

Garo the Animation 12

Now this is how you do a mid-show climax. I don't even know where the series is going to go from here. They've blown the lid off of much of what the narrative was working towards up to now, even more than I was anticipating, so what the back half is going to be is truly a mystery to me.

Dresden

Do mantles count as capes? I love this sort of look.

What is it called when people use coats as capes? Oddly partial to them now after going through Devil Survivor 2.

And humanoid robots fighting with swords do?

Mods help. Ban this man.

Well you see...
Actually no fuck that. Capes on small robots are fine.
giphy.gif

This is fine.

Capes on robots bigger than that, that were designed to fight in a variety of areas and climates is dumb as hell. The only reason people wear capes is either 1. look cool or 2. protect themselves from the environment. Since mechs don't have to worry about two, it can only be one. And those people concerned about looking cool would be the first people to die, or worse get somebody else killed. (And looking cool is fine in some cases, not in war.)

All the pilots of those "cool" examples posted so far would be screwed if their head got taken out. They would have no visibility. Are they gonna pilot with a sixth sense or something?

I'm drawing a hard line stance here boys.

duckroll

Garo the Animation 12

Now this is how you do a mid-show climax. I don't even know where the series is going to go from here. They've blown the lid off of much of what the narrative was working towards up to now, even more than I was anticipating, so what the back half is going to be is truly a mystery to me.

Okay, I think you've convinced me to finish the rest of Garo which I didn't watch. I can't even remember where I stopped before I started watching random select eps. Will have to check tonight. Do you remember which episode was the one where the main guy and the prince joined forces to defeat this mutated count monster in a valley which was like.... I think this huge spinning bunch of spikes or something? It was a daytime fight.

Jarmel

Banned
Okay, I think you've convinced me to finish the rest of Garo which I didn't watch. I can't even remember where I stopped before I started watching random select eps. Will have to check tonight. Do you remember which episode was the one where the main guy and the prince joined forces to defeat this mutated count monster in a valley which was like.... I think this huge spinning bunch of spikes or something? It was a daytime fight.

You pretty much stopped when it got super good.

That was episode 9.

By the way, I have to say that by this point I'm really liking how the CG is used. The texture and shading on the armor is great.

duckroll

You pretty much stopped when it got super good.

I know, I didn't really stop intentionally though. Sometimes you get distracted from a show and other stuff pile up and it's hard to get back. Same thing happened with Death Parade. I'm working on my backlog now!

That was episode 9.

Cool. I think I still remember most of the details of what the show is about so I should be able to pick up from ep10. Basically the prince found out about the poisoning and escaped right? And he's training under some old dude? And the main guy and his dad split up and had hilarious (badly animated) comedy adventures or something. That's what I recall from the point I stopped. It felt like a bit of fun and games and self-evaluation before something BIG was going to happen.

That sounds like episode 9.
Does that look like it?

Cornbread78

Shirayuki-hime S2 ep.1
I was almost expecting another kidnapping to sat the seadon, but what a cute and comfy date episode to start off season 2. We also got a little bit of background info on Kiki and co. Maybe a little side shipping later in the season between those two? They could make it work. Anyway, it was a cute way to start, and I'm looking forward to more.

Narag

El Cazador de la Bruja

banner_1079.jpg

There is your western + a bit of yuri action is good for the soul.

A fateful encounter between Ellis, a fugitive girl with amnesia, a troubled past, and supernatural powers, and Nadie, a feisty bounty hunter, leads to the two of them traveling south together in search of the key to unlocking Ellis's past. The only clues they have are a mysterious stone given to Ellis by a fortune teller she was staying with, and Ellis' notion that she has to go south.

Sounds like Early Reins and the first few minutes of the third Ginrei OVA remain anime's only true Westerns.

Cool. I think I still remember most of the details of what the show is about so I should be able to pick up from ep10. Basically the prince found out about the poisoning and escaped right? And he's training under some old dude? And the main guy and his dad split up and had hilarious (badly animated) comedy adventures or something. That's what I recall from the point I stopped. It felt like a bit of fun and games and self-evaluation before something BIG was going to happen.

Yeah, that's the right spot. Episodes 7 and 8 covered the same time frame from Leon's and German's perspective, and it was pretty cool, even if 7 was a bit clunky. Episode 9 into 10 is where things gear up for the midpoint climax.

duckroll

Yeah, that's the right spot. Episodes 7 and 8 covered the same time frame from Leon's and German's perspective, and it was pretty cool, even if 7 was a bit clunky. Episode 9 into 10 is where things gear up for the midpoint climax.

I recall one of those episodes, either 7 or 8, being one of the worst looking episodes of the show that I had seen. It was so hilariously bad, but still... entertaining. Lol.

Episode 8 is where I lost interest and dropped it. I don't know, maybe I should pick it up again one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom