• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

Not talking about Kurapika.

If you're talking about Adult Gon, then he never felt "out of control". He didn't attack his comrades nor was he running around screaming like an idiot. He really wanted to kill one specific person, so he willingly sacrificed his entire future to do so. Plus while in that powered up form, he was was silent and collected. That isn't a "I have so much power, I can't control it, DARK *insert character name* RISING" circumstance that I feel Naruto and Bleach made popular within the last decade or so. It was more of an equivalent exchange (that reminds me, FMA doesn't fall for this trope either).

blurr

Shinryaku Ika Musume 01-06

This is a great comedy. It has been consistently funny, cute and well presented so far. Ika Musume is such a lovely character, her innocence makes for a lot of the fun. Rest of them are alright but Ika Musume is the star of the show. True to its name.

degeso!

PK Gaming

Koukaku no Pandora 1-2

tumblr_o10crhrfFY1u21ng6o1_500.gif

This show is better than it has any right to be. Like, on paper it just sounds like the shittiest show, but it flows surprisingly well. Mixes action and comedy pretty decently too, which is better than what most anime can manage this season. The budget is kind of on the lowish side, but they make the most of it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the mad scientist character is great. They're garbage like 99.99% of the time, but Uzal's solid

Narag

Perfect Insider 11

Pretty awesome show in the end. I'm amazed (and quite thankful) the last two eps were basically characters sitting and talking, letting them interact with one another without a bunch of bullshit obscuring it. Surprised it's as polarizing as it apparently is too.

wonzo

Banned
Perfect Insider 11

Pretty awesome show in the end. I'm amazed (and quite thankful) the last two eps were basically characters sitting and talking, letting them interact with one another without a bunch of bullshit obscuring it. Surprised it's as polarizing as it apparently is too.

would've been canonical aoty if not for prison school & somera-chan

Perfect Insider 11

It was a part of my Top 10 from 2015. I really enjoyed it.

Prince of Stride 03

Meh not doing anything much for me anymore. I may drop this one soon.

pbayne

Garo the Animation - Episode 17

Garo the Animation - Episode 18

Damn. I don't even feel like I need to say anything. By far the best episode of the series, but what is most shocking to me having finally watched this in context rather than just watching the duel scene for action animation, is that this isn't a great episode just because it has surprisingly above average production values compared to the rest of the series - this is a great episode because it is an excellent culmination of all the plot threads from the last 6 episodes. It is also not a sudden spike in terms of quality for the series, but a bounce in a series which has been more and more entertaining steadily. But goddamn. The direction. The animation. The writing. I loved how it tied up stuff for all the three main leads. The animation and art isn't just great during action too. There are a bunch of quieter character moments which had fantastic quality to them.

:bow GARO :bow

Yeah its an incredible payoff. I remember watching it close to Unlimited Blade Works and thinking the Fight choreography and the emotional investment is so much higher in this(Garo) yet only a fraction of the people will watch it compared to UBW.

blurr

Perfect Insider 11

Yes, a lot of interesting conversations in the last episode. I'd like to see more of this.

ibyea

Banned
Perfect Insider 11

I don't think it was great but I enjoyed it and overall I would consider it more of a positive experience.

fertygo

Garo the Animation - Episode 17

The horror in this episode is my favorite in the entire series so far. Both in design and in animation, it has this really cool giant monster vibe that reminds me of good FF summon designs - Leviathan in particular. It's nice to see Alfonso and Leon meet again after all this time, and I'm constantly surprised by how mature the characters can be on this show. It's always easy to manufacture drama in entertainment using misunderstandings and unreasonable behavior, but Garo always seems to treat characters in a measured tone even with their exaggerated personalities, and seeing characters being able to just sit down and talk through things is so much more enjoyable than getting Mari Okada'd.

The events in this episode were pretty predictable, but they've done such a great job of building up this overall arc that it was pretty painful to watch. I think on its own, Leon losing Lara would not have the full emotional impact if he simply failed to protect her, but seeing the last scene where Alfonso realizes that he too had failed to protect someone important to Leon really showcases the strength of having dual protagonists on the show.

Garo the Animation - Episode 18

Damn. I don't even feel like I need to say anything. By far the best episode of the series, but what is most shocking to me having finally watched this in context rather than just watching the duel scene for action animation, is that this isn't a great episode just because it has surprisingly above average production values compared to the rest of the series - this is a great episode because it is an excellent culmination of all the plot threads from the last 6 episodes. It is also not a sudden spike in terms of quality for the series, but a bounce in a series which has been more and more entertaining steadily. But goddamn. The direction. The animation. The writing. I loved how it tied up stuff for all the three main leads. The animation and art isn't just great during action too. There are a bunch of quieter character moments which had fantastic quality to them.

:bow GARO :bow
These 2 eps is so good, while maybe its the best the show ever been the peak is not stopped and the great ride continue till the end.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Perfect Insider 11

I enjoy it. The mystery was interesting, and i love the dialogue.

The Vision of Escaflowne - 2

CZJFy21XEAA1foC.jpg:large

Hellwarden's post about mecha with capes being bad continues to be invalid

The Escaflowne has probably the most unique interior design I've seen in a mecha in a long time, and it totally fits in well with the fantasy setting.

Other than that, things sure escalated quickly here! I'm super interested in seeing where this all ends up, as I hear this show really goes places.

duckroll

The Vision of Escaflowne - 2

The Escaflowne has probably the most unique interior design I've seen in a mecha in a long time, and it totally fits in well with the fantasy setting.

Other than that, things sure escalated quickly here! I'm super interested in seeing where this all ends up, as I hear this show really goes places.

Did you know that the second half of the episode was key animated by one guy? Back when Yutaka Nakamura wasn't the super duper hotshot BONES action animator he is today, and he was just a reliable go-to guy at Sunrise for good animation, apparently he spent half a year just animating half of the episode. 140 cuts.

Narag

Did you know that the second half of the episode was key animated by one guy? Back when Yutaka Nakamura wasn't the super duper hotshot BONES action animator he is today, and he was just a reliable go-to guy at Sunrise for good animation, apparently he spent half a year just animating half of the episode. 140 cuts.

That's amazing.

Are you serious? That's incredible.

I hope that man got an award or something for that! Like, half a year on one episode. Amazing.

ibyea

Banned

That's some dedication.

duckroll

I should probably point out that high quality animation from Sunrise in the 90s (Stardust Memories, G-Gundam, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop) were all produced by their Studio 2 back then, which was essentially the precursor to BONES. After Cowboy Bebop, the producer at the studio left to start up BONES and many of the animators and designers eventually joined.

With RahXephon, BONES started applying a more modern approach to handling animation workload. Nakamura also animated a TON of stuff in that series, but instead of animating it all himself from start to finish, he started doing rough key animation (first key animation) which would be used as a strong guideline for other animators to clean up and fill in details (second key animation).

Quasar

Wait, Ajin is entirely in CG?

No wonder everyone is completely ignoring it.

Well its a netflix show so people wont see it for ages. I did track down episode one though...was alright. Strangely the animation bothered me a little, whereas it didn't in Sidonia nor in other recent cg shows like bbk or the submarine show.

pbayne

Kino's Journey 1

Episode was based around Can you ever really trust anyone? To what extent do people need to keep secrets? I think these episodes work really well because Kino herself never takes aside and is pretty neutral throughout. The conclusion of the married couple's story was actually very up-lifting. The show is actually brave enough to shut up and convey emotions through actions and implications which helped further the theme of the episode.

Kino's Journey 2

If you can help people should you? And to what extent should you help them? Are people inherently selfish and will only help others out of self-interest? Don't want to spoil the twist in this episode but its incredibly harrowing. I like the open ended nature of the conclusion with hermes asking Kino if she would still help another in the same situation after what happened and she doesn't answer.

Kino herself is quickly becoming a favorite character of mine. I know it's a bit of a cliche to throw around "strong, female lead" but id rather have someone multifaceted and practical like Kino. The show spends a good deal of time showing why she's so capable: She cleans her guns each day, practices shooting by night, even cool little survival tactics like melting snow to get boiling water.

She has a fair deal of mystery so far(similar to Ginko from Mushishi). She can simultaneously be incredibly ruthless and cold, yet still be fragile when she considers some of the things she has to do.

Snow White Episode 4

So they basically put two chapters together for this episode, and I feel like it showed. It felt a bit rushed. Ryuu goes from a kid who doesn't seem to care about what anyone thinks of him to running and crying to the prince in anxiety. It's weird.

Also I'm a bit confused as to how quickly they seem to dismiss the guy who
locked the prince and Shirayuki up.

"It was a person in cloak with long hair."
"We'll investigate it."

And that's the last we hear of it. Perhaps it'll be picked up again in a later episode.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero END

Hmmm.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess?

While the idea of a dark/deconstruction magical girl series turning things around from the despair and delivering an uplifting ending is something I am okay with, the execution was very weak and I can absolutely see how this is seen as a poor ending that brings the show down.

The tree god realizes that its near destruction was the fault of its own stupid policies, so it changes them and "apologizes" to the characters. But there's no real satisfying reasoning as to why the hero system worked the way it did when the tree can just change its mind about the sacrifices concept. What ramifications are there for the main characters' happy ending? They mention future heroes, so presumably the monsters will respawn after this destruction the same way they did after their previous destructions in a cyclical manner, and the outside world is still a hellscape, so it's not one hundred percent storybook, but the show presents Yuna and friends' actions as having a benefit on the future heroes, but what is the cost of the tree no longer charging a price for the powers it gives? Has the system become unsustainable? Will the tree and its barrier fail naturally at some point? Has Yuna Yuki doomed the entire human population?

Most of my concerns lie in some issues in the details of the worldbuilding, so perhaps the prequel light novels have the answers, but I can't say I'm chomping at the bit to dive into cross media stuff for more of this franchise.

It was a good and enjoyable series that hit both emotional highs and lows. The friendship and optimism of the girls was fun to watch, and I was hit hard by the moments of suffering. It kind of just petered out at the very end, but up until then I can say I'd recommend it.

blurr

Idolmaster is a better anime. Love Live is a better lifestyle. Perfect Blue is a good idol anime too.

Loved Perfect Blue.

idolmaster then Aikatsu then stop there.

Shounen Hollywood or WUG Zoo

I think I saw an episode or two of Shounen Hollywood on animax, don't remember much.

Idolmaster is the better of those two.

Idolmaster. 2d dancing rules

Democracy says Idolmaster. So be it.

T-Rex.

Banned
So I finished Nisemonogatari today. There's not much I can say about it that hasn't been said already so I won't bother doing a write-up or anything. On to Neko!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom