• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Seraph of the End actually good? I checked out almost immediately when the plot started off with a disease that killed off anyone over the age of 13.

Yes its really good. Its one of the few instances, where human, vampire, and demon storys can come together in a really intense friendship oriented manner to be good. The source material is one of my favorite ongoing manga, and the anime is great, watched it three times now.

Knights of Sidonia didn't look completely terrible. The main issue was the framerate, so they can fix that in the movie. They nailed the atmosphere right on so I can definitely see them do the same with Blame.

Plus since it's a movie adaptation the budget will most likely be higher than its TV counterpart.

Knights of Sidonia didn't look completely terrible. The main issue was the framerate, so they can fix that in the movie.

Plus since it's a movie adaptation the budget will most likely be higher than its TV counterpart.

You know the Ajin anime is a series of movies, right? The TV series is just a recut of the films.

Clov

Is Seraph of the End actually good? I checked out almost immediately when the plot started off with a disease that killed off anyone over the age of 13.

I didn't think it was bad. It's a fun action series with silly characters. It's nothing amazing, but I definitely enjoyed it.

fertygo

Knights of Sidonia didn't look completely terrible. The main issue was the framerate, so they can fix that in the movie.

They won't change shit because people like Sidonia

And low framerate is part of misguided ideology of the CG company to made it "looks like anime"

I wish someone can change this idea for good

It has its moments, some legit good fight scenes with good direction and music, and one of the more likable female characters in the whole genre.

Other than that, it's kind of... generic. Also, sometimes the soundtrack is REALLY fuckin weird and doesn't fit the scene at all.

That being said, I'm curious enough to know what happens that I started reading the manga, which is like an episode behind where season 2 ends weirdly enough.

duckroll

Did everyone drop Garo Crimson Moon? Are there really no redeeming qualities in it? Because the first series is really rad! I'm pretty impressed that since episode 12, the quality has actually been surprisingly consistent. Even those almost all of these episodes have been outsourced, they don't look crappy or derpy like many of the episodes from the first half.

kewlmyc

The first season is a mess, the 2nd pulls itself together enough to be a really mediocre shounen action show.

Yes its really good. Its one of the few instances, where human, vampire, and demon storys can come together in a really intense friendship oriented manner to be good. The source material is one of my favorite ongoing manga, and the anime is great, watched it three times now.

Hmmm....

Let me ask this then, does the MC has some sort of stupid "ragemode" powerup that he can't control? That seems to be a calling sign to ignore a shonen show for me.

You know the Ajin anime is a series of movies, right? The TV series is just a recut of the films.

But the Aijin movies look like they didn't put much effort into it which is probably why it doesn't look any different from the TV series.

Seriously I'm just trying to be positive with the Blame movie adaption. Fuck I just at least hope they get the atmosphere right.

fertygo

Did everyone drop Garo Crimson Moon? Are there really no redeeming qualities in it? Because the first series is really rad! I'm pretty impressed that since episode 12, the quality has actually been surprisingly consistent. Even those almost all of these episodes have been outsourced, they don't look crappy or derpy like many of the episodes from the first half.

No, its shite.

Didn't watch the OG Garo but CM is shitty. Hellwarden who really loves Garo hates CM a lot

duckroll

Romi Park voices the female lead.

Aren't they just recycling the Garo VA leads?

Ugh. Thanks. After watching years of Naruto and Bleach, that specific troupe annoys the hell out of me. Not sure why either. Plus it seemed to have shown up in nearly every shounen I've tried since minus HxH, Assclass, and Magi.

Garo has a berserk mode "power up" too, but it's not really treated as a power up that makes him "stronger" so much as him losing control and fucking up and has to be stopped. It's also not a "he has to power up to defeat enemies" trope.

Ugh. Thanks. After watching years of Naruto and Bleach, that specific troupe annoys the hell out of me. Not sure why either. Plus it seemed to have shown up in nearly every shounen I've tried since minus HxH, Assclass, and Magi.

But in the Owari no Serafu universe it doesnt necessarily mean he's stronger than everyone else.

Tuck

I dropped it.

To be clear, I absolutely adored the first garo anime. Your own experience with it echos my own. The new show is a total let down, though I stopped a few episodes in and have no idea if it got better.

That said, the garo show you're watching currently is getting a direct movie sequel this year.

Jarmel

Banned
It's honestly hilarious, and depressing, watching Crimson Moon after S1 Garo.

It's a step down on every conceivable front. It might be the biggest drop in quality from 'season' to 'season' I've ever seen.

It's like GBF to Try except if Try was a shitload uglier with 5 sec fight scenes composed of stills.

Crimson Moon is a show that feels like the writers have no idea what they want it to be.

You see, Crimson Moon has a lot of humor that just wouldn't fly in the original. Boob humor and shit humor. At the same time, you want to know what the major theme connecting a lot of Crimson Moon episodes is?
The widening division between the poor and rich, and how the rich don't care for the poor. (The rich also seem to spend an abnormal amount of time resenting each other with ever interacting on screen.)

The first Garo series managed to handle humor and dark elements well. Crimson Moon feels like a show that alternates between wacky anime hijinks and serious serious scenes about wealth division at the flip of a coin.

Wait, Ajin is entirely in CG?

No wonder everyone is completely ignoring it.

When I started reading the manga like a year ago I was hoping it would get an anime but when I saw the cgi preview I just lost all hype. It's just that the frame rate is soooo bad. If Netflix is gonna cgi every anime they get their hands on then they can go to hell.

duckroll

Maybe Garo Crimson Moon is a cry for help from the production staff expressing the gap in resources and budget between the Garo movie and their series. Hopefully?! Lol.

Garo the Animation 14

This was one of my least favorite episodes because it relied a bit too much on telling instead of showing. I did like the theme of rumors and legends conflicting with each other and conflicting with the truth, and Alfonso realizing that the legends he had looked up weren't all they were cracked up to be. (
That dovetails nicely with his reaction to Leon's transformation in episode 12: "This is the legendary Knight of Light?"
) Also, Alfonso and German make a good pair; their relationship is quite different from that between Leon and German; the latter are dealing with complex family drama, whereas the former are more like buddy cops.

Maybe Garo Crimson Moon is a cry for help from the production staff expressing the gap in resources and budget between the Garo movie and their series. Hopefully?! Lol.

There seems to be practically no overlap between the production staff of Crimson Moon and the production staff of Honoo no Kokuin, so I'd say it's just a gap in ability and artistic vision. Atsushi Wakabayashi's last directorial work was the by-all-accounts very bland fantasy Guin Saga, so I don't think you can really expect much from him.

Can you confirm or deny if the dead pan chick is on the next ep previews?

Are you asking if there's a Garm like figure in Crimson Moon?

Yeah, there is, she's called Inari. Only she's not as interesting as Garm, and she lacks any the interesting subtle menace that Garm gave off.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero 09

xYn8HKI.png

it hurts

it HURTS

I am honestly relieved to have been minorly spoiled in hearing that the ending disappointed people by being a cop out or showing a lack of guts/balls, in that there is hope that it will pull me out of this painful blubbering emotional wreck state I have been put into.

Also, Erica Mendez is an amazing actress, she deserves every award. All the awards. They don't have to be related to acting, just give her awards.

Dimension W 2

The mysteries of the setting being set up are not too interesting to me (when people start talking about "Numbers", all I can think of is Lost), but the action is really cool and the personalities of the main characters likable enough for me to not hate them. Ebata's touch can be seen all over the timing of the action animation, and I love it. The whole chase through the museum was quite entertaining. I'm also a fan of the smooth transitions into the ED that it seems like this series will be doing regularly.

This has put me in the mood for action series with a similar tone. Perhaps it's time to rewatch Code:Breaker.

duckroll

Garo the Animation - Episode 17

The horror in this episode is my favorite in the entire series so far. Both in design and in animation, it has this really cool giant monster vibe that reminds me of good FF summon designs - Leviathan in particular. It's nice to see Alfonso and Leon meet again after all this time, and I'm constantly surprised by how mature the characters can be on this show. It's always easy to manufacture drama in entertainment using misunderstandings and unreasonable behavior, but Garo always seems to treat characters in a measured tone even with their exaggerated personalities, and seeing characters being able to just sit down and talk through things is so much more enjoyable than getting Mari Okada'd.

The events in this episode were pretty predictable, but they've done such a great job of building up this overall arc that it was pretty painful to watch. I think on its own, Leon losing Lara would not have the full emotional impact if he simply failed to protect her, but seeing the last scene where Alfonso realizes that he too had failed to protect someone important to Leon really showcases the strength of having dual protagonists on the show.

Garo the Animation - Episode 18

Damn. I don't even feel like I need to say anything. By far the best episode of the series, but what is most shocking to me having finally watched this in context rather than just watching the duel scene for action animation, is that this isn't a great episode just because it has surprisingly above average production values compared to the rest of the series - this is a great episode because it is an excellent culmination of all the plot threads from the last 6 episodes. It is also not a sudden spike in terms of quality for the series, but a bounce in a series which has been more and more entertaining steadily. But goddamn. The direction. The animation. The writing. I loved how it tied up stuff for all the three main leads. The animation and art isn't just great during action too. There are a bunch of quieter character moments which had fantastic quality to them.

:bow GARO :bow

I wonder how many people are using the Trump Anime thread as an excuse to shit on the medium?

Seems like the only one that sees it as some sort of validation for their views is Techno. Don't think anyone else is taking it seriously.

Only the most hardcore anime haters would see it as anything more than a ludicrous, irrelevant statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom