• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_i

Show White Episode 5

The main romance in Snow White is the type of romance that makes for easy watching. Zen and Shirayuki rarely misunderstand each other so much as they do themselves.
The episode acted as an enjoyable mystery, with a decent fight scene at the end. Fun episode.

Who should really get more focus.

Kiki needs more focus.

/XX/

it runs into major production issues and end in the middle of nowhere and far from the manga's completion. Because the Mangaka was not happy with the direction the anime was taking (too much comedy for her apparently) she didn't want any further seasons and production just kind of fell apart with Anno leaving prematurely or something like that.
Let's take into account a theory already mentioned in here, and supported by THE Olivier Hagué, which for the most part shifts the blame onto TV Tokyo's production overseers who (after the infamous NGE VS. Japanese PTA controversy, and the posterior fallout affecting high-ranking personnel of the channel) were afraid of what "terrifying" things another original ending from Mr. Anno could become.

Sakura

how do I descend into idol hell?

Idolmaster or Love Live? which first

Idolmaster Cinderella Girls is actually pretty boring. The girls are cute, and it has its moments, but because of the number of characters, there is very little actual character development. Many of the character's motives, or reasons behind their actions don't make much sense.
Love Live suffers from drama (though so does Idolmaster), but aside from that it's not bad.
If you had to choose one, then I'd choose Love Live.

Aikatsu is good, and the girls are cute too, but I'm not sure how much of an idol show it really is. Many of the things they do are very unrelated to being an idol, and parts of it just seem like a glorified commercial for the game stuff.
It's good if you just want to watch something fun and relaxing though.

Really? I like Lovely Complex (and its director, Uda), but its production values are fairly low. Not so low as to be offensively ugly, as something like Bokura ga Ita is, but not high enough to be pleasant on the eyes, as something like Snow White with the Red Hair is.

That why I said solid. I even wanted to describe them as somewhat low but recognizing that I thought it was indeed pleasant on the eyes, I thought that would be unfair. When I consider the character design to be that great the effort put into all the different hairstyles, clothing etc. really did wonders for me. The voice acting for the lead pair was top notch, too. When I then even like the music, there's a point where I'd feel wrong calling out production values as a problem.

If they're low, then they got allocated smartly and that end result is what matters after all.

The character designs themselves are fine, but I can't fathom someone considering them their favorite designs in all of anime.

Was asking myself if I actually liked them that much but I really think I do. I struggle a bit with what one would say encompasses character design because the cheer variety of different looks is part of what I found so intriguing and for all I know that falls at least partially under animation effort. Then again, there might be some character design sheets where all that is actually documented, so yeh.

I took a short look at my mal list and didn't really find s.th. where I felt the character design was superior and accomplishing more for its show.

phaze

Non Non Biyori Repeat ~10-12 END
014062n2xzv.jpg
014098rsxmz.jpg

I need dis.

It was passable/10.

Despite liking and enjoying pretty much everyone in the cast, some of those more mundane bits really bored the hell out of me. I guess I'm just not SoL person. Though even if fewer compared then in it's predecessor, Repeat still has its own share of enjoyable stuff in it.

Komari still a best.

Majin Bone 3

I like how the Bone warriors are invading every part of Shoujo's life: his home, his school, his hangout places. It's like I'm watching a classic harem anime!

Was asking myself if I actually liked them that much but I really think I do. I struggle a bit with what one would say encompasses character design because the cheer variety of different looks is part of what I found so intriguing and for all I know that falls at least partially under animation effort. Then again, there might be some character design sheets where all that is actually documented, so yeh.

The variety of expressions for characters is usually set by the character designer - hence Umakoshi's touch on Doremi is evident everywhere for instance.

I took a short look at my mal list and didn't really find s.th. where I felt the character design was superior and accomplishing more for its show.

The Lovely Complex character designs are fine, but they're pretty typical high school shoujo manga designs so I can't understand this view. There are many designs I would put above it, especially the work of consistently strong character designers such as Yoshihiko Umakoshi (Casshern Sins, Heartcatch Precure, Mushishi), Nobutake Ito (Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Giovanni's Island), and Naoyuki Asano (Shiranpuri, Saint Young Men, Osomatsu-san). Even just talking about shoujo adaptations, you have better designs in, say, Kimi ni Todoke or Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

Hmm mentioning production values again because Snow White came up and a screenshot shortly afterwards coincidentally. Having searched for some more I can clearly say that I can't say characters with noses like these make for a pleasant look.

Hmm mentioning production values again because Snow White came up and a screenshot shortly afterwards coincidentally. Having searched for some more I can clearly say that I can't say characters with noses like these make for a pleasant look.

I don't like the way noses in Snow White with the Red Hair are sometimes drawn (I actually talked about this a little earlier in my impressions of episode 2), but the character designs are adequate. Nothing special in themselves, but the overall quality of the production (the art and animation, the backgrounds, the music) is notable.

One other point that I didn't mention in my previous post: flicking through my copy of Lovely Complex, I have to say I'm not a fan of the body proportions that show up there. They almost approach CLAMP levels at times in how stretched out the limbs get.

Cornbread78

Kiki needs more focus.

Hopefully, they start shipping these two crazy knights as well soon. I mean, the most recent episode was kind of hinting in that direction as we finall got some real backstory into their relationship working together.

Although,
she did slam the door on him when the word "date"
was mentioned. I think that is just a front though....

Sterok

I fell into idol hell because of this demon.

latest

Be very careful of who you find appealing.

Someday I'll get to those other idol shows. But other anime are coming up first in my backlog, so who knows how long that'll take. I will get to them someday though, if only to see how inferior they are to Kiriya Aoi.

I hate characters that "reset". There is no reason that someone should go through an entire arc, become a semi-competent human being by the end of it, and then be completely worthless at the beginning of the next. It actually infuriates me. Completely destroys my enjoyment of any series that does it.

The variety of expressions for characters is usually set by the character designer - hence Umakoshi's touch on Doremi is evident everywhere for instance.

Aye, good to know.

The Lovely Complex character designs are fine, but they're pretty typical high school shoujo manga designs so I can't understand this view. There are many designs I would put above it, especially the work of consistently strong character designers such as Yoshihiko Umakoshi (Casshern Sins, Heartcatch Precure, Mushishi), Nobutake Ito (Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Giovanni's Island), and Naoyuki Asano (Shiranpuri, Saint Young Men, Osomatsu-san). Even just talking about shoujo adaptations, you have better designs in, say, Kimi ni Todoke or Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

Having seen both of the latter two, with one just recently, I simply don't agree. They had good character design but I simply prefer Lovely Complex's. That one got more teeth (some seriously good looking smirks from Otani especially) and I prefer how the nose and mouths are drawn and shaded. And yeh, dat variety again...

As far as the other mentions go. I've seen only Mushishi, Kaiba and some of Osomatsu-san. In Mushishi's case I liked the character design quite a bit but felt like there was a certain sameness to many of the adult female characters. Said as much when I went through that. Kaiba and Osomatsu-san are obviously more experimental and stylized and certainly not to a fault. At the same time I simply wouldn't consider them some of my favorites. Kaiba's character design is admittedly quite an essential part of that show. Can't say I found nearly all of it pleasant to look at, though.

At some point there's only so much technicalities we can speak of and there's a whole lot subjective taste left.

BluWacky

Yeah that's what I meant. That unlike kimba and the one Atlantis seemed to have inspired from, that snow white came decades before and even then there's a fable associated with it.

Atlantis is based on a story recounted by the ancient Greek philosopher Plato about 2500 years ago...

(yes, there are huge parallels with 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and Nadia, whether coincidental, and the Atlantis myth has been vastly elaborated on to give it a backstory that frequently includes the power of crystals that is a focal point of many Atlantean stories by a succession of New Age theorists, but the original story is very, very old...)

blurr

I fell into idol hell because of this demon.

latest

Be very careful of who you find appealing.

Someday I'll get to those other idol shows. But other anime are coming up first in my backlog, so who knows how long that'll take. I will get to them someday though, if only to see how inferior they are to Kiriya Aoi.

that is my greatest weakness

Qurupeke

Musaigen no Phantom World 3

Date episode? Date episode.

Wow, Reina was so salty about that date. I guess this was in the source material too, but it really makes me wonder about girls named Reina and KyoAni shows. Also, what the hell, Haruhiko's ability was overpowered. I wonder if they'll explain it further or it was just shown for this episode. And Mai is the best bully.

Overall, an okayish episode. Not really as fanservicey as the other two and it was a bit more enjoyable for that. And the action was pretty good.

Musaigen no Phantom World - 03

My favorite part was the movie in the cinema! Memories and how they work (and don't) interests me, so I felt I was a bit more engaged this time.
The POV bit of the phantom fight was neat, as was the reenactment of the move from the movie.

superior sidefu's strikes again

pbayne

Show White Episode 5

The main romance in Snow White is the type of romance that makes for easy watching. Zen and Shirayuki rarely misunderstand each other so much as they do themselves.
The episode acted as an enjoyable mystery, with a decent fight scene at the end. Fun episode.

Also Obi's romance with Shirayuki hasn't even really begun, and he already lost.

He should shack up with the lovely head pharmacist.

Which is a shame because the five minutes he has with Shirayuki is more interesting than 12 episodes of Zen and Shairayuki.

Like apart from her tendency to get kidnapped Shirayuki is pretty much a perfect character no real faults at all, same with Zen. So they're pretty much a perfect couple. Which is fine for a while but it gets tiresome when there's no conflict or drama between them.

MrDoctor

Can I get some info about the Taiwanese Ghibli Blu-rays? I'm in the process of cleaning and need to know if the Disney releases can go with the junk to sell or give away.

Gintama 306

The team ups! But is no one going to die here? Suddenly in the serious arcs everyone becomes Zoro tier at being able to take damage!

Last arc at Bake? No way

Second Season arc? NO WAY.

You probably talking about the OVA tho.

Given my love of Hanekawa its certainly not for me. I find much of the latter OVAs far weaker. Its harder to compare the longer series though as they combine multiple stories and so my enjoyment of those is variable.

Wow this Black Hanekawa hate smh.

Who am I? None of your business.

triggered

Musaigen no Phantom World Ep.3, or How I Learned to Quit Thinking and Just Watch

I have never seen a show as transparent as this one. That's my biggest thought at this point. Everything in this show - plot points, overarching themes, characterizations - is shown in such a way that it is near impossible to miss it. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it is obviously done intentionally.

Anyways, I enjoyed the episode. A+ animation again, Reina's mannerisms are adorable, the show continues to not take itself seriously. Entertaining, if not very fulfilling. I can't help but wonder if all the episode intros are leading to some larger plot or not. So far we've been introduced to the basic ideas of perception manipulation, the misinformation effect, and transactive memory. At this point, I'm perfectly fine with the simple nature of the show so I hope they don't try to force some kind of deeper narrative into it.

The cinematography was more bland in this episode than any of the others. Not that the show was making any particularly stellar shots in the first place.

pbayne

Yes exams beat.

Might get my new years watch started and crack into monogatari if I can get Hakusho and Kino's Journey finished.

Wasn't feeling Hakusho last arc at first, and I still think Senschee is a step down from Togoro, but its really picked up after a rocky start. Kino's Journey is just incredible.

Non Non Biyori Repeat ~10-12 END

It was passable/10.

Despite liking and enjoying pretty much everyone in the cast, some of those more mundane bits really bored the hell out of me. I guess I'm just not SoL person. Though even if fewer compared then in it's predecessor, Repeat still has its own share of enjoyable stuff in it.

Komari still a best.

Watch Barakamon, it's much better than Non Non Biyori.

And I enjoyed Non Non Biyori as well.

jbug617

Banned
Sentai license Azumanga Daioh
https://twitter.com/Sentaifilmworks/status/689886752606068737

HOUSTON, January 20, 2016 – Sentai Filmworks is proud to announce its latest acquisition: the classic, offbeat comedy Azumanga Daioh! Based on the original 1999 manga series written and illustrated by Kiyohiko Azuma, Azumanga Daioh is a witty romp into the misadventures of six high-school girls – Chiyo, Tomo, Yomi, Sakaki, Kagura, and a transfer student from Osaka, aptly nicknamed “Osaka.” Under the “guidance” of some rather peculiar teachers, the girls try their best to survive wacky school culture festivals, bread-eating contests, a teacher obsessed with seeing his female student in short shorts, awkward (and sometimes dangerous!) trips to Chiyo's summer home, and more!

The anime series was directed in 2002 by Hiroshi Nishikiori (Trinity Seven, I’m Gonna be an Angel!, GAD GUARD), with Ichiro Okouchi (Negima!, CODE GEASS: Lelouch of Rebellion ) in charge of series composition. Production was handled by J.C.Staff (Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile, Detective Opera Milky Holmes).

Azumanga Daioh will soon be released on home video as part of its Sentai Selects line of classic animated features, in both dubbed and subtitled formats.

I should probably get to that as well. Saw the first episode and wasn't in the mood for that kind of slice of life at the time, so didn't proceed then.

Yeah definitely, go watch Barakamon. It's one of my favorite sol series. It's a really heartwarming show.

6Qflzwt.gif

Barakamon is good too, but I don't think it's so different in terms of quality that someone who didn't enjoy NNB will love it.

Trust me it is. I've seen people who were bored by Non Non Biyori but found Barakamon much better and entertaining. The atmosphere and characters are quite different.

tuffy

I think everyone expected Sentai would re-acquire Azumanga Daioh sooner or later, but it's nice to see it back in print.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 89
tumblr_o19cd6aVwK1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o19cd6aVwK1qbxqfpo2_540.png

boku no turn! thank you Sora for showing up and showing the awesome power of Deathtoy's. I love his deck alot and its great use of fusions.

Reira did good too, I almost got scared a bit when Basilisk Force kept showing up.

javac

Fuck it, I'm going to drop Windy Tales and watch it another time in the distant future. I loved what I watched but its been 3 weeks since I watched the first 3 episodes, I just can't watch anime anymore. Another time my friend.

phaze

Watch Barakamon, it's much better than Non Non Biyori.

And I enjoyed Non Non Biyori as well.

I don't think I made it to second episode's end. lol All I wanted was to strangle that annoying brat ...

---

There's a split-second shot in Erased's ED that makes me think my theory might actually be correct. Would be a first. Does anyone know what it's original, Japanese title means ? I'm afraid of googling ...

Atlantis is based on a story recounted by the ancient Greek philosopher Plato about 2500 years ago...

(yes, there are huge parallels with 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and Nadia, whether coincidental, and the Atlantis myth has been vastly elaborated on to give it a backstory that frequently includes the power of crystals that is a focal point of many Atlantean stories by a succession of New Age theorists, but the original story is very, very old...)

I understand that Atlantis in itself wasn't created by anime lol

I was saying there's a lot of similarities between the works you mentioned and the Disney film though.

Now if you're telling me that the original story of Atlantis also involved the same basic idea and plot then nevermind.

I hope you like catgirls.

And
love pentagons.

Cause oh boy, you're about to get some.

Normally those aren't particular hooks for me in my mecha shows.

But I was told that this has Geass-level twists, so I'm expecting things to get crazy while a bunch of people freak out about it. That and some delightful 2D mecha goodness.

I think I'll be just fine with this.

Qurupeke

There's a split-second shot in Erased's ED that makes me think my theory might actually be correct. Would be a first. Does anyone know what it's original, Japanese title means ? I'm afraid of googling ...

According to MAL it's "The Town Where Only I am Missing". Also, I just rewatched the ED and it's the first time I noticed how Airi focused it is.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi

Boku = I (masculine, boyish)
Dake = only
ga = subject marker
Inai = am not
Machi = town

So, a somewhat literal translation would be The Town In Which I Only Am Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom