• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Bad taste bro.....:(

Like I said. Just not a SoL person. And the entire premise was such a cliched "tired guy runs away from bad, evil city to idyllic rural village where he rediscovers the joys and meaning of life." that just sapped any will I had to continue.

And that brat was mightily annoying ...

According to MAL it's "The Town Where Only I am Missing". Also, I just rewatched the ED and it's the first time I noticed how Airi focused it is.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi

Boku = I (masculine, boyish)
Dake = only
ga = subject marker
Inai = am not
Machi = town

So, a somewhat literal translation would be The Town In Which I Only Am Not.

Thanks for that. It, well fits. We'll see.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Phantom Bully 3

I think the author of this spent too much time on Wikipedia.

Haly

That seems to be a trend for LN authors.

And Terraformars.

And Araki.

Araki doesn't need Wikipedia since he makes up all his shit.

But, yeah, I'm reevaluating how much time I spend on Wiki collecting useless information. I can't bear to be in the same group as these dudes.

Thanks Phantom World. You've shown me the error of my ways.

Phantom World 03

"I wonder who those two mysterious people in my past were"

"Wow who are these two mysterious people on the bridge?!?"

There's a lot of obvious exposition in this episode which doesn't really add anything. Especially when half of it is Reina getting NTR'd while the other part is just a constant stream of MAYONAISE-SAMA!!.

I guess the fight was nice but I'd like this show to be more trashy

Taruranto

I'll put as much efforts into this as P.A. put into this anime #3
gTlzXah.jpg

TMsRzxI.jpg

dp3GXdX.jpg

COME ON
I can't decide whatever it was rushed as hell or they just didn't care.

At least it was better than the second episode, it was far less melodramatic and much more energetic.

Judging by next ep preview It looks like they finished introducing characters for a while, for maybe it will get better
lol it won't

Haly

I personally think he sets his music player to shuffle, does a ton of drugs, and then throws a dictionary at the wall and creates a gimmick based on the first word he sees.

Myriad Colors Phantom World Episode 3 – Operation Copy-Paste Memories
CZMDGdlWYAE7C1f.png
CZMDGgCWIAE4sPv.png

Good episode but Toei (World Trigger) does particles way better. If only more studios could learn from them at how to do it. If they had many moments in Phantom World would have looked much more impactful and awesome than they did.

I'm pretty bummed out by Haruchika.

At first I thought it was cool that one of the main leads was gay, and not in the traditional (sometimes offensive) anime way. But then they made Haruta an insufferable little shit. (The main female lead isn't much better.)

And I don't care what anyone says. People telling other people they love them through puzzles is not entertaining. It's dumb as hell.

Kono Subarashi is ok I guess, but I'm already watching another show with a bunch of jobbers in a fantasy setting where the world is based off a fantasy rpg. I don't need to watch another, especially with a chuuni wizard. And the humor just isn't enough to keep watching. Dropped.

I'm pretty bummed out by Haruchika.

At first I thought it was cool that one of the main leads was gay, and not in the traditional (sometimes offensive) anime way. But then they made Haruta an insufferable little shit. (The main female lead isn't much better.)

And I don't care what anyone says. People telling other people they love them through puzzles is not entertaining. It's dumb as hell.

Especially if they're doing it every week.

Now that I've finished Trails of Cold Steel, time to clear my Fall 2015 backlog:

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 4-5

I was not expecting for there to be a Moriarty to Sakurako's Sherlock. I'm now interested.

Concrete Revolutio Episode 3-5

Jesus, these are the shadiest bunch of superheroes I've seen. It's one thing to be shady and you know it, it's another thing to be shady and even the show still plays it as normal.

Asterisk Wars Episode 3

You know, even for "baby's first anime" standards, Asterisk is pretty uninspiring.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 3

I think it's really hilarious how much similar both Rakudai and Asterisk are three episodes in. Both show features a date where the protagonists gets attacked.

Somehow Rakudai manages to be the more engaging of the two.

Cornbread78

Konosuba ep.2:
Holy crap LMFAO, that was hilarious. The banter back and forth between the Aqua and the MC is outstanding, and the stupid princess getting eaten multiple times never got old...

First frog:
kMd2KLk.jpg

2nd frog
RGZyNzE.png

look ma, no hands...

Then we finally get to meet the newest member of the party, which is also flawed and pretty useless, but the convo infront of the townsfolk was hilarious.

[
GQ7pmdQ.png

Aqua being eaten again in the background
, lol

So our useless crew is growing, but these two get along
QedPXe4.gif

And it looks like we are going to meet our final party member next week
ibLplEh.png

This episode was hilarious... Huge tone down in fanservice as well!

Haruchika - Haruta & Chika Episode 3 Exit Game
CZMOnFjWQAA-gPq.png

Exit Game was actually really great and probably best episode thus far with the puzzle episode. Maren story was quite emotional and tying it into the game for a vivid revelation and character building activity raised the bar on storytelling for this season. Maren and Haruta need much more screentime in the future.

I kind of want to see another play, Shonen Hollywood still has the best play in anime ever.

phaze

Noein 1-8

This show is pretty weird. And uneven. But still pretty good. I don't quite remember why I dropped it in the first place, Maybe it was Yuu's entire insufferable persona or the somewhat bizarre shift into romantic comedy in episode #5, complete with one of the most prolonged, and hilarious, slap down that I've seen. (counted 8) Anyhow, if I had to somehow describe Noein so far, I'd call it a combination of Steins;Gate x Dragon Ball Z x "insert your romantic comedy of choice here". So you have people travelling through time and dimensions, you have fights with beams of energy and you have your cast of pre adolescent kids that somehow gets mixed into all that. That jarring contrast between the apocalyptic future, dimension swapping and the more comedy/romance centred happenings in the present is unfortunately not something the show handles particularly well so far. There is also some hilariously bad dialogue and Yuu who fortunately took a back seat to Haruka as the main protagonist but outside of that, the show is good. There is always a steady progression of the story in every episode, the animation during fights ranges from good to great and theorchestral soundtrack is exactly of the kind I like. Hopefully, things don't go sour in the later parts.

TUSR

Banned
Myriad Colors - 3

Reina ponytail ☑
Reina chun-li ☑
Jealous Reina ☑
Mai date ☑
Front twintails ☑

AOTY ☑

tuffy

Does this mean we get a BD release?
There wouldn't be much point to an Azumanga Daioh BD release since it's a show straight out of the early digipaint dark ages and animated at SD resolution.

And apparently Sentai's new release is also missing the Very Short Movie OVA extra, so it might be worth holding on to those old ADV discs.

Even I have never watched Aikatsu and I've watched loads of idolness.
A mistake you should correct some day.
I fell into idol hell because of this demon.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...8344128.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151110123252

Be very careful of who you find appealing.

Someday I'll get to those other idol shows. But other anime are coming up first in my backlog, so who knows how long that'll take. I will get to them someday though, if only to see how inferior they are to Kiriya Aoi.

Aoi number one idol.

phaze

Noein sucks.

It also has some of the worst pseudo-science I ever seen.

Noein 9

Someone needs to throw Yuu and his mother into that dimension swapping device thing and cut the cord.

I've had no idea this is from director from Escaflowne. And correspondingly, I had no idea Birdy was either.

---
I don't have the strength to watch another episode of Phantom World. Rejoice Haruhi, you're no longer the worst KyoAni show that I've seen !

Ascheroth

Prince of Stride 2-3

It's Otome roots are showing through, but its still a damn enjoyable show. I like the races and the comedy is also pretty good.

Gintama 306

So good. Betrayals, reinforcements, new alliances and Sho-chan being best Sho-chan. And it looks like next episode we're getting to the end of this arc and then back to normal Gintama again.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Phantom World - 03

It's okay. Action was great again and I wonder if this ability of Haruhiko was one time only or if its going to pop up again, because it was pretty interesting.
I do wonder if these episode will lead into something larger or if they're still in the setting up world and characters phase.

Konosuba - 02

Still hilarious. The banter between Kazuma, Aqua and now Megumin is great. I thought is also looked better than last episode, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, this is fun.

Qurupeke

This shot was sooo good.

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting some KyoAni show when I find some free time to binge watch. Not Hyouka, for now, though. Chuunibyo, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Amagi Park(Is this even good?) basically, leaning mostly towards the first one. I was also thinking of Beyond the Boundary but it doesn't seem to be received particularly well here so I'll probably skip it.

This shot was sooo good.

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting some KyoAni show when I find some free time to binge watch. Not Hyouka, for now, though. Chuunibyo, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Amagi Park basically, leaning mostly towards the first one. I was also thinking of Beyond the Boundary but it doesn't seem to be received particularly well here so I'll probably skip it.

I don't really think any of those are worth watching.

edit: not talking about hyouka, obviously

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This shot was sooo good.

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting some KyoAni show when I find some free time to binge watch. Not Hyouka, for now, though. Chuunibyo, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Amagi Park(Is this even good?) basically, leaning mostly towards the first one. I was also thinking of Beyond the Boundary but it doesn't seem to be received particularly well here so I'll probably skip it.
There is not a good reason to skip over Hyouka.

This shot was sooo good.

Watch Kanon 2006 ;P

This shot was sooo good.

Between the shows you wanna watch I'd recommend you watch Haruhi (endless eight with us), then the haruhi movie which is the best part of the series as it's kyon-focused.

Then from there I'd recommend Hyouka even though you said not that, it's the best show KyoAni has made.

Chuunibyou- isn't good at all though if all you care about is moe girls doing cute things this is it. It's shitty as fuck.

Amagami Park- I guess it wasn't horrible but it isn't particularly good either. Extremely forgettable.

Beyond the Boundary- at this point I'd recommend this over Amagami and Chuuni, because at least it had cool magic. But it isn't good.

This shot was sooo good.

Haruhi Suzimiya is probably their best work besides Hyouka, at least from a critical standpoint. Tamako Market and Sound! Euphonium are "good" as well.

Chuunibiyo and Amagi Brilliant Park are fun to watch, but don't really have much substance.

Nichijou is my favorite SoL after Aria, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom