• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best part about Haruhi is that the production team decided it was a good idea to make the same episode 8 times. Not just air the same episode 8 times, make the same thing 8 times over from scratch. That's so dumb that I can't help but appreciate it on some level.

Qurupeke

I don't really like that you've basically dismissed everything. I guess I'm not watching a KyoAni show. lol

There is not a good reason to skip over Hyouka.

I'm sure I'll like it and I'm sure it's good, but I've tried to watch the first episode several times and I'm just getting endlessly bored. I really don't feel like watching it anytime soon, at least until I'm on mood for it. That's why the shows I mentioned are comedies/action, they'll probably be a bit more relaxing.

The best part about Haruhi is that the production team decided it was a good idea to make the same episode 8 times. Not just air the same episode 8 times, make the same thing 8 times over from scratch. That's so dumb that I can't help but appreciate it on some level.

from a writing stand point, it was cool and unusual. From an actual execution though, I would hate to have watched it as it aired

People bashing Haruhi is really making me scratch my head. I thought people in this thread were supposed to have good taste?

As far as I'm concerned, Endless 8 was the only stain on Haruhi, otherwise the show was excellent. And as someone said, the humor and story aren't based on pop culture, so it's the same as it was when it aired. Whoever was asking, if you do watch it, watch it in broadcast order. People who say chronological order have no clue what they're talking about, since it puts the climax halfway through the show, which is stupid.

As for Chuunibyo, it was hilarious for the first half of the first season, the second half was enjoyable if you don't mind shows doing the "sudden change to drama" thing, and the second season was okay, but more forgettable. All in all, enjoyable.

KyoAni works worth watching:

K-ON series
Disappearance of Haruhi (sans the last hour)
Nichijou
Hyouka
Tamako Love Story (probably, haven't gotten to this yet)
Sound Euphonium

That's about it, I think. Their FMP shows are OK, but not worth seeking out especially.

Cornbread78

LOL. Was a funny scene...

Phantom World ep.3
D4bH8VD.gif

Actually a pretty good episode Poor Mai getting all jelly at their date, but she doesn't like our MC boy though, or does she? Good stuff either way

Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge

latest

Presumably they all auditioned to be a part of the Ginyu force and all got rejected because their dance choreography is shit.

Right so, back to watching the DBZ films. It's time for the Cooler duology.

So the story is that Frieza's brother is a bit miffed that his bro got himself killed by a Saiyan, presumably because he wanted to be the one to kill Frieza. Rather then take Frieza's empire for himself, he decides to go to Earth with his Ginyu Force rejects.

Generally speaking, the film is essentially the Frieza saga in movie form, only instead of Frieza, we have his lesser brother and instead of the Ginyu Force, we have a generic musclehead, an annoying little shit, and a frenchman with a lightsaber.

That in mind, Cooler's Revenge was slightly above average overall. There were some notable moments in the flim but it doesn't really put Cooler's Revenge anywhere close to Garlic Jr or World's Strongest. It was better than Lord Slug but worse than Tree of Might.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Not the series. Only the movie.
I'm sure I'll like it and I'm sure it's good, but I've tried to watch the first episode several times and I'm just getting endlessly bored. I really don't feel like watching it anytime soon, at least until I'm on mood for it. That's why the shows I mentioned are comedies/action, they'll probably be a bit more relaxing.
"When I feel like it" is disruptive to personal growth, and rarely yields much of merit.

Line_HTX

Success! I finally bought tickets to Kizumonogatari for Feb. 27th here in Houston.

I hope Admiral Woofington also bought his tickets as well.

pbayne

Kino's Journey 3

Episode focused around blind faith and how people can exploit it in order to further their own ends i.e holy wars. Pretty much still see this today when some nutjob proclaims the end of the world there's always some idiots that believe them. It also showed how malleable faith can be as the "holy scripture" of the episode was doom and gloom in one country then it was revered as salvation by another country just down the road.

I got a kick out of Kino enthusiastically hustling the shop keepers for ammo. Which then transitions to her looking like a cold blooded killer practicing in the night. What a contrast.

Kino's Journey 4

Yay Kino's backstory. Jesus this show gets uber dark when it wants to. Spoiler for the setup
The town basically forces surgery on kids on their 12 birthdays to become" perfect" adults that will smile and nod no matter what shit they have to do, even killing your own kids, because adults are supposed to take responsibility.

This episode explored what does it mean to be an adult? Is it having a job or assuming responsibilities or is there more to it? And why does that make them inherently different from children?

I think anyone who has worked knows the feeling of getting used to doing things you hate. Like I love my job but I think most people are lieing if they say they enjoy their job 100% of the time.

There also a nice little side-story about traditions and how they get started.

Anyways the theme ran nicely with Kino's own growth and maturity in the episode.

Kino's Journey 5

This episode was about how any extreme of politics is ultimately doomed to failure and ends up hurting people.

The total communist country was fucking terrifying. It had a kind Lain "scary computors" vibe. With all the work being done by machines(another growing concern today) the people's 'jobs' are very abstract and kind of pointless. The communist system fails because even though everyone's wealthy they feel no self-worth as they didn't really earn it so they actually work themselves to death at their abstract jobs.

Then the ultimate republic fails because one person with too much power is obviously not gonna work while the ultimate democracy is probably the worst of all three.
When majority votes decide everything, eventually the majority starts electing to kill the minority, until there's only one person left.

I guess it shows that you need a mix of opinions and views to make any society function. Giving too much power to any one extreme just leads to disaster.

Good little side tale with the railroad workers who kind undermine each others work and the futility of what they're doing compared to maybe the futility of Kino's adventure which have mostly aimless to this point.

Sorry for the long rambly post but this show is incredible. And this isn't me trying to make this show sound really complex or deep. Every story is really simply told and laid out in a natural manner. Bravo A.C.G.T(first ive heard of them) because this shows incredible.

Clov

That's good to hear this show is release even though I have the ADV version. Wonder if they add any new stuff in it.

Not only will there not be anything new, there will actually be less than before! The Very Short movie won't be included in Sentai's release.

Does this mean we get a BD release?

Maybe! Sentai has sometimes done BD releases for shows that haven't gotten a BD release in Japan. Mind you, it may not look great since it would be upscaled.

Is it? Haruhi is like Lucky Star, popular in the 2000s and only then. It can't be worth going back to now.

Bah! Lucky Star is one of those shows where the more I go back to it, the more references I understand. It's a show that's definitely worth going back to, provided that you enjoyed it the first time. I still highly recommend Lucky Star to people who enjoy slice of life comedies; I think if you enjoy anime like Azumanga, KinMoza, and Gochuumon, you'd love it.

Haruhi is alright. It's really nothing great when you look back on it. Definitely has its moments though. Disappearance has some great looking animation too.

Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge

Right so, back to watching the DBZ films. It's time for the Cooler duology.

So the story is that Frieza's brother is a bit miffed that his bro got himself killed by a Saiyan, presumably because he wanted to be the one to kill Frieza. Rather then take Frieza's empire for himself, he decides to go to Earth with his Ginyu Force rejects.

Generally speaking, the film is essentially the Frieza saga in movie form, only instead of Frieza, we have his lesser brother and instead of the Ginyu Force, we have a generic musclehead, an annoying little shit, and a frenchman with a lightsaber.

That in mind, Cooler's Revenge was slightly above average overall. There were some notable moments in the flim but it doesn't really put Cooler's Revenge anywhere close to Garlic Jr or World's Strongest. It was better than Lord Slug but worse than Tree of Might.

You have Return of Cooler coming up. I hope you're ready to suffer. I wasn't.

Weekly Manga Ranking

37. *22,855 *,274,844 Boku dake ga Inai Machi Vol.1
39. *21,801 *,244,153 Boku dake ga Inai Machi Vol.2
47. *20,074 *,236,242 Boku dake ga Inai Machi Vol.3
29. *31,611 *,213,172 Boku dake ga Inai Machi Vol.7

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1474710

It seems like the anime is successful and boosting the manga sales quite a bit.

Jarmel

Banned
Konosuba-2

I didn't like this episode as much as the first. Felt like there was dead 'space' with some of the jokes.

ED is so unbelievably comfy and has some really cool shots.

pbayne

Gintama 306

Been a while since i saw Ginpachi-sensei.

How the hell do you kill that Yatagarasu dude? Didn't Gintoki impale him?

Weekly Manga Ranking

Dagashi Kashi as well, v1 charted for the second week in a row, and two other volumes appeared this week.

Erased moved a total of 151 394 units.

Jarmel

Banned
Phantom World-3

This was mostly just dull, largely due to the exposition dumps. Why the fuck is the show bothering to explain or justify their magic?

This is a perfect case of polishing a turd.

kewlmyc

K-ON series
Disappearance of Haruhi (sans the last hour)
Nichijou
Hyouka
Sound Euphonium

That's about it, I think. Their FMP shows are OK, but not worth seeking out especially.

What's wrong with the last hour of the Haruhi movie? Also the first season of Haruhi still holds up.

Weekly Manga Ranking

A good number of people just couldn't wait to see what happens. I don't blame them.

Funimation plans to do screenings this March of the Psycho-Pass movie, a film that's over a year old and everyone interested already saw back in July.

Funimation's never been that great, but between their streaming subs being awful, long delays on releasing certain things, and just outright not talking about putting certain properties they have licensed out on BD/DVD at all it feels like they've been getting more and more incompetent as of late.

At least Funimation manages to get their movies in way more theaters than Aniplex. Aniplex did good with Rebellion, but kinda dropped the ball on Ano Hana and Kizumonogatari.

Dragon Ball Z: Return of Cooler
latest

You didn't really have to return Cooler. You could have you know, just stayed dead like you should have.

Let's get right to it. Ignoring whatever the hell Episode of Bardock was suppose to be this is the first movie that I thought to be bad, really bad actually. I think I'm starting to fully understand why some people told me not to go through with watching all of them.

Aside from Return of Cooler being one ugly SOB, the entire film is just a chore to sit though. The fight scenes aren't that good. They are brought down by shitty animation (Metal Cooler VS Goku stands out in this regard) and a lack of originality, particularly when Piccolo and Gohan are dealing with the mook bots. Rather than trying to hit a certain weak point, they just have to hit them really hard, cause that's not lazy and uninspired at all.

Speaking of unoriginal, that's Cooler in a nutshell here. In Cooler's revenge, he had some differentiation from his brother but that's not the case here. He's returned as a robot, like Frieza and like Frieza he's now trying to conquer Namek. He also acts a little bit like him to, given that he toys with Goku and Vegeta for example. While I'm at it his plan sucks too. Why even have the robots when you can make 1000 stronger copies of yourself? And how come you just don't kill Goku and Vegeta when you have the perfect opportunity to do so?

On top of all that, some of the plot holes in this film were way too noticeable to ignore, even moreso than every other film so far. How did Dende arrive on Earth? How did Vegeta get to Namek? How did Vegeta get a Sayian Pod for that matter? Also how did Cooler survive being hurled to the sun?

I could go on but I think I've said enough. This flim is shit, the end.

Rainy

Banned
I just remembered I watched through all of the Haruhi series and was going to watch Disappearance but forgot to when school started last fall. I should get around to that after my exam next week....

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
At least Funimation manages to get their movies in way more theaters than Aniplex. Aniplex did good with Rebellion, but kinda dropped the ball on Ano Hana and Kizumonogatari.
It's a harder sell for Aniplex to do a wide release of something like Kizumonogatari compared to Funimation's dub of the new Dragon Ball movie. Aniplex isn't really "dropping the ball".

kewlmyc

It's a harder sell for Aniplex to do a wide release of something like Kizumonogatari compared to Funimation's dub of the new Dragon Ball movie. Aniplex isn't really "dropping the ball".

Okay, I'll drop the Funimation point since only DBZ, Evangelion, and AoT live action have gotten wide releases so far. I think the Eureka 7 movie was shown a lot of theaters as well.

Madoka's recap movies and Rebellion were in twice as many theaters/states than Kizumonogatari. I think the Blue Exorcist movie was shown in more theaters as well. Not asking for a wide release, but have it in at least more than 13 states. Maybe it's because of Kizumonogatari's run time.

Clov

Funimation plans to do screenings this March of the Psycho-Pass movie, a film that's over a year old and everyone interested already saw back in July.

Funimation's never been that great, but between their streaming subs being awful, long delays on releasing certain things, and just outright not talking about putting certain properties they have licensed out on BD/DVD at all it feels like they've been getting more and more incompetent as of late.

It seems kind of like a dumb move at first, but it makes sense when you think about it more. Psycho-Pass has done very well for Funimation, and it has a decently sized fanbase. Funimation also has a hold on that whole, "won't watch anything until it's dubbed in English" audience, so they probably will make some decent money from this.

To be honest, as much as I dislike Funimation, I can't hate them too much. They did release Ping-Pong after all, when I never expected them to.

Dragon Ball Z: Return of Cooler

I could go on but I think I've said enough. This flim is shit, the end.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

John Blade

ncVC2Av.jpg

I am kinda have mix feeling of this OVA as I am watching it and sadly it look like it didn't change when I finish watching it. In summary, this OVA is a waste of time if you're casual watcher or non fans of Sakura Taisen. Basically, the whole OVA is trying to let you get to know a bit more of the main characters in the show or games. Hell, they bring in two new characters which you don't see before unless you play the game so, you can see who they target to.

Like I say before, this entire OVA is trying to focus a bit more on the main characters in the show which is fine and can help a bit as all the characters are generic. Unfortunately, the result is mix. For some, it's a bit interesting to see like Maria but for other, it's very boring to downright no development at all. The best one I will say is more target toward Sakura arch which you found out more about her and her family. This is good as you start to know a bit more of Sakura's background of her family side and how they were born to protect the capital city and how it affect her and her father who you know die just so he can protect everyone from the monster. Also, you see more of her interactions with her family and how she have to decide her own path of what she want to do and what is important for her. A much better arch than everyone else I would say.

For animation, it look less detail as they chance the animation from hand drawn to early Computer animation which didn't age as well. Lack of detail look around the character and backdrop but the color is much brighter. Kinda disappointed a bit as I do like the previous OVA but can't say much really.

Overall, an average OVA from my side but I guess if you're fans, you will most likely like it. As for me, you can skip it as you're not missing much but just jump into the last two episode as that is where it shrine a bit.

pbayne

Osomatsu 15

I can't decide if Jjushimatsu is the best or worst at times. Glad they brought back girlymatsu and Chibita's skit was nice too.

Stride 3

They did a lot of fun little touches like characters pushing and interacting with the race graphics. The race had a few animation shotcuts but it still looked impressive at times.

jonjonaug

To be honest, as much as I dislike Funimation, I can't hate them too much. They did release Ping-Pong after all, when I never expected them to.

The Ping Pong release has at least one line that's missing subtitles and mislabeled discs. Also Ping Pong's nice, but it doesn't really make up for licensing Tatami Galaxy and then never doing anything with it.

John Blade

Man...look like I might able to get through Sakura Taisen franchise maybe by the end of this week. Just need to watch the movie and one more OVA and I am done here. Look like another franchise will get done soon. I guess I might have a chance to get the other anime done before I watch Clannad franchise.

Clov

The Ping Pong release has at least one line that's missing subtitles and mislabeled discs. Also Ping Pong's nice, but it doesn't really make up for licensing Tatami Galaxy and then never doing anything with it.

Yeah, that's true. They still have a lot of improvement to do. I'm still hoping that someday, someone will release The Tatami Galaxy on BD here. Maybe Discotek will a decade from now or so.

It seems kind of like a dumb move at first, but it makes sense when you think about it more. Psycho-Pass has done very well for Funimation, and it has a decently sized fanbase. Funimation also has a hold on that whole, "won't watch anything until it's dubbed in English" audience, so they probably will make some decent money from this.

They still haven't released Barakamon on bluray......

Cornbread78

Mononoke ep.1-7
Through the first three arcs, this is a pretty cool show to watch. Not only is it visually stunning, but the unique style of story telling and presentation keeps it fresh and interesting to watch.

---------------------------------

Any other recs for next week's Let's Watch? Looking to step up into an action anime. So far Utawarerumono may work, but any other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom