• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other recs for next week's Let's Watch? Looking to step up into an action anime. So far Utawarerumono may work, but any other?

Gundam Build Fighters and Heroman would be two good ones.

Heroman was originally made by Stan Lee, so that could be an interesting watch. It's on Crunchyroll.

Gundam Build Fighters is a super fun and enjoyable battle tournament mecha show that happens to have the Gundam name (and it's one of the best shows in the franchise next to G Gundam). It's available on Gundaminfo's Youtube channel for everyone.

kewlmyc

Gundam Build Fighters and Heroman would be two good ones.

Heroman was originally made by Stan Lee, so that could be an interesting watch. It's on Crunchyroll.

Gundam Build Fighters is a super fun and enjoyable battle tournament mecha show that happens to have the Gundam name (and it's one of the best shows in the franchise next to G Gundam). It's available on Gundaminfo's Youtube channel for everyone.

I vote for Heroman. Surprisingly fun show. I don't think it ever got a dub either which is odd considering it's by Stan Lee, is set in AMERICA, and the color scheme for the robot is red, white, and blue.

pbayne

I vote for Heroman. Surprisingly fun show. I don't think it ever got a dub either which is odd considering it's by Stan Lee, is set in AMERICA, and the color scheme for the robot is red, white, and blue.

Sounds like the anime version of Big Guy and Rusty

ibyea

Banned
It's a Bones show from 2010, there's no way it could be any good.

I watched half of it so I don't know about the rest but I enjoyed those episodes. It wasn't anything mind blowing or anything but hey not every show has to be. Sometimes they can be just a regular fun experience to just pass the time.

AJIN 01

Interesting concept, but the art is very off puting. Seemed choppy, almost like it had a very low frame rate at times. I will stick with it, but I hope the quality gets better, or they switch to normal animation.

Dimesnion W 01-02

I'm enjoying this so far. Nice animation. Cute robot waifu.
Grotesque flesh monsters.

Dagashi Kashi 01-02

What a great surprise this was! Hotaru delightfully insane, and Saya plays the perfect straight man to her antics. It feels like months since a comedy anime has been this interesting for me. Reminds me of Moyashimon!

Wait, you mean this one with the 6.9/10 rating?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/4334/Heroman

it's the same site that has Clannad in the top 10 and Attack on TItan with an 8.6.

I wouldn't hold their review system like gospel

It's a Bones show from 2010, there's no way it could be any good.

It was fun and I was never bored. As far as anime it was funny to have a show so american and blonde characters named Joey as leads. Plus the bad guys of the beginning are these aliens whose only reason for invading earth and fucking shit up was because one of the aliens said "hey we received this message from a planet called earth" and the alien commander was "a'ight let's go fuck their shit up"

Funimation plans to do screenings this March of the Psycho-Pass movie, a film that's over a year old and everyone interested already saw back in July.

Funimation's never been that great, but between their streaming subs being awful, long delays on releasing certain things, and just outright not talking about putting certain properties they have licensed out on BD/DVD at all it feels like they've been getting more and more incompetent as of late.

How is putting the movie in theaters in march incompetent? Im also unaware of a way that funifans would have seen the movie since its not on the site and its also not released here (funi only got it late July 2015). I dont think that beyond hardcores many actively go out and seek accessing anime movies in other means.

They should be able to do many movies this year, they got those Project Itoh ones, probably will get the new Fairy Tail one as well,

MAL Scores are not a good indicator of a show's actual quality.

!

This, definitely.

Heroman transcends ratings by offering a surprisingly well thought out action packed trip that never attempts to rein the fun experience. Its one of the few times that an automaton working with teens has been able to be an awesome experience. One is doing themselves a disservice by avoiding this animated classic.

Cornbread78

it's the same site that has Clannad in the top 10 and Attack on TItan with an 8.6.

I wouldn't hold their review system like gospel

It was fun and I was never bored. As far as anime it was funny to have a show so american and blonde characters named Joey as leads. Plus the bad guys of the beginning are these aliens whose only reason for invading earth and fucking shit up was because one of the aliens said "hey we received this message from a planet called earth" and the alien commander was "a'ight let's go fuck their shit up"

I know, Clannad should be #1!

MAL Scores are not a good indicator of a show's actual quality.

:(

It's a fun show! Not a masterpiece by any means but I think it'd definitely be enjoyable enough for a Let's Watch!

Don't listen to MAL! They suck! :p

While I have about zero interest in Heroman, you really shouldn't bother reading MAL ratings as indicative of quality. Whatever's popular will get good ratings, and we all know that something being popular doesn't automatically make it good. At least, we all should know...

I know MAL ratings are not always absolute representation of quality, but I'very found it to be a decent guage with a large sample size.

Rainy

Banned
Shirobako 15

Let's review.
WhhgRE9.png

YyiUife.png

aoty.

Any other recs for next week's Let's Watch? Looking to step up into an action anime. So far Utawarerumono may work, but any other?

Seconding Utawarerumono. House of Five Leaves is a good one as well.

MAL's greatest failure, to me, is that The Vision of Escaflowne is only rated a 7.81. It's an easy 9.0, for me. Attack on Titan gets too much hate. It's probably not an 8.5, but it's probably not lower than a 7.5.

Cornbread78

Emma A Victorian Romance S2 ep.7
William is a putz; plain and simple. He needs to just stop pandering to society and go get his love. I guess he's trying to do that, but he's leaving a trail of destruction in his path. You have to feel bad for Eleanor at this point and it's all that hussy Emma's fault. Well, not really, it's all on William.. I'm interested to see how this one clears all this mess up.

Clov

House of Five Leaves is pretty great. Slow paced, but great! The more people you expose to anime like that, the better.

I really have no idea, so I relay on you guys. I'very only been watching anime for a year now, lol.

That being said, do you have any action recs that would be good?

Code;Breaker gets a lot of praise here for its spectacular effects and action scenes, and isn't too well known.

Can't recall its over-all quaity, but Phantom: Requiem for a Phantom wasn't half bad. I mean the second half is eh, but it was ok.

edit: you could also guide more people to watch Gungrave. First half is a spectacular mafia tale of rags to riches. Second half is shit but I WANT people to suffer as I did

Mailbox

I can't tell if this is supposed to be one of the jokes or not.

I'll admit, I really don't like phantom world's use of Carl Jung's collective unconscious. The idea itself could make for interesting media if used well, but I don't like it as an excuse for monster of the week type stuff.

I haven't watched the most recent episode, so maybe I'm dumb here.

Snow White with the Red Hair 4

I know this series doesn't feature heavy conflict, but I wish it had even less conflict than it does now. The problems that each episode revolve around come across as trumped-up and somewhat artificial. Most of them so far involve people being mean to Shirayuki for no good reason.

Code:Breaker is a good action series that too few people have seen :(

Absolutely. Code:Breaker is fantastic.

Snow White with the Red Hair 4

I know this series doesn't feature heavy conflict, but I wish it had even less conflict than it does now. The problems that each episode revolve around come across as trumped-up and somewhat artificial. Most of them so far involve people being mean to Shirayuki for no good reason.

As someone who just watched episode 4, yeah, that episode is pretty weak.

It felt rushed in comparison to the other episodes I've seen.

It's
pretty much Kaneki/Sasaki. He went through another development.

Life's been really shit for him.

I should go read the latest chapters. I must be at least 10 or so behind. I've been reading the comic DMZ for the past couple of days, maybe I'll go ahead and read catch up on Re this time around.

duckroll

Snow White starts kinda rough, gets better, but yet never quite shakes off the shoujo trappings which weaken it. The problem is that the show wants it both ways all the time. It wants to be a slice of life tale, but it wants to be dramatic excitement. It wants to be about a strong progressive woman, but it wants to pander to the fantasy of girls being saved by princes. It wants to show that hard work and education is valued, but it also wants to promote the optimism of believing in your friends and yourself to overcome all with heart. Wanting things both ways often waters a narrative down and cheapens it.

Clov

Code;Breaker gets a lot of praise here for its spectacular effects and action scenes, and isn't too well known.

Can't recall its over-all quaity, but Phantom: Requiem for a Phantom wasn't half bad. I mean the second half is eh, but it was ok.

edit: you could also guide more people to watch Gungrave. First half is a spectacular mafia tale of rags to riches. Second half is shit but I WANT people to suffer as I did

I would have liked Phantom a lot more if it ended after
the main protagonist tries and fails at saving that assassin girl. Just go for the dark, bad ending. I mean, it felt fitting; they were just disposable pawns, after all. I think it was eight or so episodes in? Early on in the first half for sure. Just have it stop there; you lose, the end!

Gungrave brings back some memories! What a waste of potential. Like you say, first half is fantastic, second half isn't even half as good. Definitely a big disappointment.

Also, you people are making me really want to check out Code;Breaker. I might as well add to it my to watch list. Votoms will be coming first though! I want to watch some more 80s TV anime before anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom