• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
KyoAni's clearly not setting any new bars with this but it's fun.

CYDRyRJUwAE78Vr.jpg

Point Break

very epic best bros story

Myriad Colors Phantom World Episode 1

It has Syo Kurusu as the voice of Haruhiko which makes this a must watch as thats one of my favorite voices in anime.

Start was so weird and odd but the limbo saved the episode. Will keep watching but this wont end up in the must buy category. Preferred Inou Battle over this.

Forgettable OP and ED songs.

I know there are other regulars here who have read The name of the Wind and the sequel by Rothfuss.

So I bring you Samurai Jack

W3vv61s.jpg

and so Jack stayed in the paradise, and then he got really good at the sex. so good at the sex that all of the ladies couldn't control themselves when they saw Jack

Prince of Stride Ep. 1

Exactly what I wanted.

Also, the logistical nightmare that is having a stride race is hilarious. Like, half the damn school has to quit what they are doing and go set up this course and the race doesn't even start until evening. Fan-fucking-tastic. xD

I might just be a KyoAni fanboy, but I think a lot of people aren't giving Phantom World much mercy. We're one episode in and its already disappointing - like, what did we expect? The whole plot to unfurl before us? Not saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I see a lot of potential in the series; some of that is potential to be fantastic and some of that is potential to fall flat on its over-sized breasts.

and so Jack stayed in the paradise, and then he got really good at the sex. so good at the sex that all of the ladies couldn't control themselves when they saw Jack

Did he promise to write a song for her in order to escape? :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I need to watch Samurai Jack. I followed it as a kid but then we moved and I lost cable.

Myriad Colors Phantom World Episode 1

This is probably one of the worst shows this season.

Aside from good looking visuals this is your everyday trashy LN crap.

I seriously hope the adaption of The Silent Voice and Euphonium S2 washes away the bad effects this crap brought to KyoAni.

Line_HTX

Ghost Hound 01-06

I've to say, I'm kinda dreading where this will go. Reviews I've seen, mention that it's a character focused show, with the journey being more important than the destination; and with said destination leaving much to desire. This pretty much sets off available every red light inside my head but outside of being Nakamura's last show, it's also pretty much the last, Konaka penned, original work that I've yet to see so I'll probably watch it to completion.

This is not really horror, per se, it's just eerie with silence and the buzzing and static sounds. I watched this because Shirow's name was attached to this having just finished watching Stand Alone Complex at the time and they sold the show as The show for Production IG's 20th anniversary. For something that's supposed to celebrate that, its destination was satisfactory, nothing spectacular. It can be kind of slow, but like a mystery, things reveal themselves one by one soon enough.

Gotta say, I did enjoy watching this with the lights off in the dead of night and the speakers turned up enhancing the buzzing and radio noises to put me in kind of a spook mode.

Phantom World 01

hSyXEw3.jpg
ZVvOVK7.jpg

KyoAni's is batting 1.000 for me.

Ok yea the tits are nice, but I actually did find the show amusing. Ruru's commentary got plenty of chuckles out of me. Will watch all the way through.

Cornbread78

Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi) anime TV|OT| If I could turn back time, If I could..

Thread title is super lame, I need help. I'm going to post the thread tonight before I leave the office.

Szadek

Haruchika.
This could be a nice show if it didn't look like shit.
I will watch 1 more episode, but that's probably it for this show.

Musaigen no Phantom World
It sucks. Dropped.

Prince of Stride: Alternative
Well, looks like a found at least 1 worthwhile show today.
It looks nice, it was funny and the action sceene was really well done.

Still need to watch Kyoukai no Kanata. Place you bets now after how many episodes I will drop the show.

when has kyoani ever set new bars?

Sound! Euphonium was one of the best animated shows I've ever seen. The amount of detail was absolutely mind-boggling, especially in some of the instrumental scenes. So I'd say that. The animation was far and above One Punch Man's, although they were both head and shoulders above most of the competition.

Story-wise though, no arguments. There are better storytellers, but I've never seen a KyoAni show that I would consider below a 5/10 in terms of story. That's more than I can say for any other studio. Consistency is fine with me.

Haruchika.
Still need to watch Kyoukai no Kanata. Place you bets now after how many episodes I will drop the show.

0. Don't watch it. If you dropped Phantom World after 1 episode, then KnK doesn't offer anything for you but to fit in with a circle jerk.

Hyouka is a pinnacle of TV animation. When KyoAni is on, they're really on.

Also, you know, they're the only anime studio in existence that doesn't heavily rely on outsourcing.

Sterok

Akame ga Kill 24

I know the ending was probably worse and a lot dumber than whatever the manga's doing, but it seemed okay for an anime original ending. It was all right overall. Lots of blood and death.

Haly

I cannot think of a KyoAni show I watched that did not set a bar.

I need to watch Samurai Jack. I followed it as a kid but then we moved and I lost cable.

Same, the show is damn great. A few bad episodes here and there, but extremely solid. Genndy Tartarsauce at his best.

The whole thing is on Hulu. Almost done, and current episode I'm watching is a detective noir about a robot assassin trying to rescue his dog. He's voiced by the guy who does Cosmo in the Fairly Oddparents, doing his best Spike Siegel impersonation.Pretty damn great visually and the soundtrack has been on point.

KDL4uv5.gif
n6C9k6m.gif

10/10 best anime

Aside from the trashy LN crap KyoAni adapts, they're a pretty good Studio.

Though the best Studio is Madhouse during its golden days before Masao Maruyama left. Modern Madhouse is pretty mediocre.

HaruChika 1

Would be better if it was told from Haruta's point of view instead of through the eyes of Chika. Though really picked up at the end, bring on episode 2 fast.

And that fhana song!!! So good especially the second vocalist. I hope the CD has more than just the OP song.

Phantom World - 1
It's really lewd, but all the angst over this seems way over the top. But I suppose there's a whole crowd of people who like to watch LN adaptations knowing exactly what they will be and freak out over them anyway.

Phantom World - 1
It's really lewd, but all the angst over this seems way over the top. But I suppose there's a whole crowd of people who like to watch LN adaptations knowing exactly what they will be and freak out over them anyway.

See, I like to watch LN adaptations, expect a daring twist of the norm, and get disappointed. Makes it way more enjoyable.

You see, here is how I think the series is going to go. This is it. This is the big one. The LN adaptation to shake all of the anime world. You see, at the beginning we get a monologue about how the human mind can be changed and manipulated. Now, what if there was some secret way to control what people saw? You could ostracize people who spoke out against your political views by making everyone perceive them as a monster, keep people living a certain way, and control the population easily. Phantom World is actually going to reveal that the whole spirit world is simply a falsehood perpetuated by the government to keep the people in line. It's a social commentary, people! A social commentary!

Crocodile

Yes, yes you do. You can watch it on Hulu (requires a subscription) or Adult Swim (need a Cable Provider login). I'm sure the DVDs (4 season sets) are pretty cheap now too.

Also (to everybody) be sure to join Toonami when the NEW episodes start up later (probably near the end to be be honest) this year <3

Clov

So I watched Phantom World's first episode. Well...

I liked it more than Kanata and Amagi, though that's not saying much. I'm kind of disappointed that they're following up Euphonium with this, but at least that's getting a second season. The best compliment I can give it is that it's well animated, as I'd expect from KyoAni.

Dresden

I didn't finish phantom world's first episode, but that opening is really bad and I wish someone would stop Ishihara (who i'm presuming was responsible for its creation) from storyboarding these things.

The mainguy sketching things reminded me of genkaku picasso, though I don't mean this in a complimentary way but more along the lines of phantom world being its simulacra, unsatisfying but reminiscent of its better all the same. Not that the similarities extend anything beyond the most common age range in anime being put to use or art being put to use to solve supernatural problems. But still, I thought of it. Can't be helped.

And fairy sidekicks shouldn't talk. Abomination!

Done with Samurai Jack. Hadn't rewatched it ever, and honestly I don't think I ever watched the whole thing. The show ends with Jack and a baby

Baby when Jack first finds him:
GUQaqhe.jpg

Baby after seeing all the shit Jack deals with:
UxZbXae.jpg

In conclusion, Samurai Jack> any anime this year. Except for new 2016 Samurai Jack.

Haly

No, John, you are the tomatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom