• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chindogg

Hachikuji, Shinobu and Ononoki are good characters that are half ruined by Araragi being a fuckin creeper.

Nadeko is a terrible person but she's interesting and the twist on the saccharine moe girl is great.

Araragi being a creeper kinda plays into their characters as they're all creepers themselves that use their appearance to mess with Araragi. Their dynamic with Araragi is one of the funniest aspects of the show.

Prince of Stride 01

Hey, this was actually pretty decent and Stride is one of the better fictional sports I can think of. Not sure if I'll stick with it.

Musaigen no Phantom World Ep. 1

I've been really pumped up for this for some reason, so I kind of went overboard. I originally wrote even more but I removed some things that were entirely opinion and speculation. More thought vomit in the spoiler.

tl;dr solid first episode, KyoAni animation, introduces us to each characters and just enough background to hook the viewer, show seems to want to play around with tropes and use them in interesting ways so I hope we see that continue as the story goes since it mirrors what the tone of the show appears to be trying for at this point - a common setting and plot in anime done to the best it can be done. I typically hate over-narration - especially in this show which has a plethora of details to lead viewers to the conclusions that the narrator just spells out - but using it as a character detail is about the best way it can be handled.

Also, outside of the spoiler, an obvious issue with the show is the prominence of Kawakumi's breasts. At this point, they feel like a damn character in and of themselves. However, I'll give it some leeway right now since it made me think about how having breasts would get in the way of any magical ritual chest crosses I might have to do in the future. I really hope every episode doesn't end up being, "Hey, look at these absurdly well-animated knockers!"

Show starts off pretty excellently with signs of the quality of animation - of course, it's KyoAni so I don't think anyone will be shocked that the animation is top tier - in the "shutter" opening of his eyes, the anti-aliasing of the clock and other aspects of Haruhiko's room, and the amount of background details. Something this show does really well compared to some other KyoAni works is how well they animate "force". Things feel very much like they have a weight to them in this world, something that KnK in particular really didn't convey well to me. A small detail though.

The show tosses a brief introduction to the scene and then hurls us into a fight next minute in order to establish the group dynamic - Kawakumi is the fighter, Haruhiko is the strategist (further emphasized by his love of history, mentions of Zhuge Liang, and general over-analysis and narration of each scene itself), and neither of them are really respected by their peers. We also get introduced to Purple Loli and Kawakumi's breasts during this scene, two characters who will undoubtedly come into play later on.

Izumi Reina's character introduction was kind of... sudden? That whole scene felt really rushed, but the fact that they identify the scene as a "cliched dating sim" trope, attempt to subvert it, but ultimately fail was hilarious. The blue stripes being burnt into Haruhika's eyes was also a fantastic way of showing off that particular trope. I really think tropes have their purpose in film, and Phantom World is showing a penchant for using them in new and... well, unique isn't really appropriate for the subject... interesting ways? Speaking of tropes, using the "hungry girl" trope as a side-effect/source of Reina's power was awesome. Not completely unique since she's basically Kirby after eating a cute anime girl, but still more evidence that KyoAni intends to have fun with tropes in this one.

We also get small glimpses into the past of each character and their personality. Reina mentions that she doesn't get an allowance and latches onto Kawakumi instantly - meaning she probably comes from a place without much affection. A lonely home or perhaps she doesn't have parents at all? I wish Kawakumi had gotten more of an introduction other than being focused on money and breasts, but... 23 minutes isn't that long, I guess. I can't imagine we won't get that later.

The spirits being able to be appeased without beating them to death - as is Kawakumi's go to modus operandi - will hopefully allow for some interesting episodes later on. Ultimately, the quality of the show depends mostly on how interesting the encounters are with each Phantom and how that progresses the show.

TUSR

Banned

XMWYzmX.png

UinzIUe.png

Phantom World 01

Ooof, OP is awful. Interesting concept, great visuals. But sooooo much fan service.

So out of today's bunch, surprisingly, Prince of Stride was definitely the one I'll continue watching.

Musaigen no Phantom World - 01

Looks pretty with some nice animation and camera angles. At least you tried, but resistance is futile.
MC being a bit of a book dork with semingly trivial knowledge speaks to me on some level. I did find fairy Botan to be the most entertaining of the bunch with her easygoing attitude and comedic quirks. The rest of the bunch, not so much.

Phantom designs looks simple yet interesting. I'm a bit curious on future phantom encounters. Overall not impressed, but I'll keep going for the phantom encounters and fairy Botan.

Jaxec

Haruchika 1

I wasn't feeling this one at all. My biggest complaint is that the visuals are really off putting for me. I'm not really sure what the best way to describe it is, but the choice of colors was really grating on my eyes and the faces kind of look derpy to me. I went back and looked at Shirobako (really enjoyed) and even Charlotte (disappointing show, but still looked nice) and I didn't really have this problem. I'll try to watch one more episode, just because I'd wanna see how the story will develop.

Phantom World 01

Ooof, OP is awful. Interesting concept, great visuals. But sooooo much fan service.

So out of today's bunch, surprisingly, Prince of Stride was definitely the one I'll continue watching.

Prince of Stride should be out one delay early after first episode(since it air at Tuesday in Japan).

And there is a one more Wednesday show by DEEN not on air yet(first episode next week), and if DEEN beats Kyoani and PA Works at the same time? actually that is something i want to see for once lol.

Gundam AGE 15 (1st Generation End)

I will be generous and say it was average, dipping into mediocre a lot, with a few alright moments, particularly when Flit went super edgy near the end. Still not used to the aesthetic and some character designs.

I've heard the Gen 2 of this is better, so hopefully it'll pick up.

Serious

Haruchika 1

I wasn't feeling this one at all. My biggest complaint is that the visuals are really off putting for me. I'm not really sure what the best way to describe it is, but the choice of colors was really grating on my eyes and the faces kind of look derpy to me. I went back and looked at Shirobako (really enjoyed) and even Charlotte (disappointing show, but still looked nice) and I didn't really have this problem. I'll try to watch one more episode, just because I'd wanna see how the story will develop.

Is that actually due to the color palette, or is it due to Funimation making everything look awful as usual with their messed up color range?

HaruChika Ep.1

Chika seems to be the only reason to pay any attention to this show. The mystery is... well. It's advanced by someone using their "detective" skills to notice a notecard and read it. That should be an indicator of how this show is going to go. Not to mention only like 1/100 mystery anime aren't complete and utter ass.

As far as the "musical" aspect of the show goes, it takes everything Hibike! did and throws it away. Euphonium was an anime about music that even musicians could appreciate. HaruChika is just fun facts and trivia. The CGI isn't awful, but, again, with Euphonium in my mind I know exactly what can be done without too much of it. It might not be too bad if the general animation itself wasn't so lacking in character. Each member of the cast just kind of.. moves. Only Chika is unique in any meaningful sort of way. Further on that, things just... don't connect. Like.. it feels like when some of them are playing instruements, or when she goes to pet the cat, or when she flips at the beginning - something is just off. I don't feel like these characters are interacting with the things in quite the way they should be. Maybe that's just me.

The characters themselves a mixed bag. Chika's obsession with being a cute girl is endearing, especially when she's so ill-suited for it. Her snaps between persona and actual personality were some of the best parts of the episode for me. Kusakabe is supposed to be this mysterious entity, but he just comes off as a piano-playing stick man who moves slowly and smiles.

Jaxec

So is Phantom world enjoyable trash, or just plain trash?

It's pretty fun if you are a fan of these kinds of LN. It looks nice and the animation is good. Better first episode than Asterik or Rakudai in my opinion, though I'm not sure if that's saying much.

Serious

No, it's due to the color palette. The show just looks awful, with or without Funi.

Finished the episode. Can't say I had an issue with it, and although I do think the show looks a bit odd even after correcting the Funi bullshit, I want to see what it looks like in a proper release.

Cornbread78

It's alright I enjoyed it. I wouldn't be surprised if I dropped it at some point though.

I'll have to check it out tonight then.

It's pretty fun if you are a fan of these kinds of LN. It looks nice and the animation is good. Better first episode than Asterik or Rakudai in my opinion, though I'm not sure if that's saying much.

Interesting. I enjoyed both of those last season, as they calmed down with the trash as the stories went along.

At least it's better then Kara no Kyoukai.

I haven't witnessed that carnage yet.

enjoyable smut trash

The best kind, lol. As long as they stay away from the loli trash, I can deal with just fun trash.

Clov

Kara no Kyoukai 5: Paradox Spiral is one of the coolest anime movies ever, thanks to Hirao indulging in avant-garde tricks.

Yep. Even as someone who mostly enjoyed the other Kara no Kyoukai movies, Paradox Spiral is so far above them its ridiculous. Great direction in that one.

Towa no Quon 1-4

First of all I remember watching this when it first came out, I somehow forgot. Secondly I only watched the first two episodes back then.

Anywho onto my impressions. Yes I remember liking this show back when it first aired but I somehow lost track of it back then after episode 2 and I'm not sure why. Now onto the characters, I normally dislike "I must save everyone." characters like Quon, but I admit I'm giving him a pass merely because of how strong he actually is, being nigh immortal will allow me to give you the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

As for Epsilon I'm now realizing how much they're telegraphing his character development from a mile away. I didn't notice that the first time I watched, but on my second rewatch it is pretty fucking obvious. I'm glad duckroll has reminded me of this show but I fucking loved it then and still love it now. Absolutely love the whole 'home for mutant' angle the garden is and I love the human vs android conflict the cyborgs go through the story as well. Honestly the biggest issue I've had with the show thus far is I would have liked there to have been a 'human' angle because so far despite all this widespread destruction there's be very little involvement of the general populace in this story.

Prince of Stride 1

Yeah, this show isn't for me.

It's well made, and the music is well done, but it bored me to be honest.
This feels like well traveled sports anime territory, meaning if you're not a fan of sports anime, this probably won't make you change your mind.

If you are a fan however, you'll probably enjoy it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I meant NA, because of course, US > World and all that....
Thank goodness the one chosen to make this season's OT isn't a racist.

The Tamako Market OP is different as well. The problem here is that Tatsuya Ishihara does the OPs for all the shows he directs, and they have followed the same formula from Air down to the present day.
Tamako Market's OP has the advantage of having The Bird™, who really was the best character in that show. Nichijou's OPs were good too.

Oh and I'm already making plans to remove Myriad Colors Phantom World from the opening post. Can't have such a crass show polluting the OP.

sonicmj1

Yep. Even as someone who mostly enjoyed the other Kara no Kyoukai movies, Paradox Spiral is so far above them its ridiculous. Great direction in that one.
Even as someone who mostly disliked those movies and their nonsense, Paradox Spiral was phenomenal.

phaze

Ghost Hound 01-06

This show is weird. Coming from man behind Lain, that's no surprise and it's mostly the good kind of weird but for example some design choices (as pictured above) are fucking ridiculous and make it hard to take it seriously.

But anyway, Ghost Hound is a 2007, Production IG show, directed by Ryuutarou Nakamura and written by Chiaki Konaka, with some input from Shirow Masamune (creator or co-creator of the original concept for the series.) The story, at least so far, mainly follows three kids with tragic pasts (shock !), with the backstory of the main protagonist Koutaro, the kidnapping of him and his sister and the demise of the latter, being the main focus of the story. Which quickly turns supernatural when the boys discover the ability to experience out of body hmmmmm ... experiences and use them to do ... well nothing yet but i'm sure it's going somewhere. So far the story is just okay, nothing really that would blast my socks off but nothing unbeareable either.

The thing that makes Ghost Hound memorable is the sound design and the atmosphere the show achieves thanks to it. Similarly to things like Lain or Boogiepop but maybe even to a greater extent, Ghost Hound uses its sound; buzzings of a fly,radio interference noises, the ticking of a clock, slow guitar playing, that all drill directly into your skull, to create, along with bouts of silence, a distinctively oppressive mood. I wouldn't call it a horror show but it certainly gets pretty close to being one, maybe more than any other show I've seen except Yami Shibai and even more so then say, Boogiepop Phantom.

I've to say, I'm kinda dreading where this will go. Reviews I've seen, mention that it's a character focused show, with the journey being more important than the destination; and with said destination leaving much to desire. This pretty much sets off every red light availableinside my head but outside of being Nakamura's last show, it's also pretty much the last, Konaka penned, original work that I've yet to see so I'll probably watch it to completion.

phaze

^ yes

Are we sure they aren't just using blurred shopped photos for their backgrounds ? lol

You know I see so much hate for Beyond the Boundary. And you know what? It was alright. Maybe my standards are just really low.

therearedozensofus.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom