• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

As much as I loved The Big O, I'll never be able to get over how ugly the second half of the show looks. That nasty, early digipaint look seems terrible compared to how nice the first half looks. It stands out even more when they reuse footage from the first half in the second half.

I also wish that they would restore the first half from the film masters, but in Japan the entire series is upscaled. Upscaling wouldn't be able to be avoided for the second half, but it's just lazy to do it for the first half.

Cornbread78

Baka to Test S2 ep. 8-9:
l6zHR88.gif

What an oddly paced set of episodes. They end the camp arc and go immediately into a character development arc with lots of background for Minami (finally) then suddenly the next episode is a continuation of ep.7 (camp arc when Yoshii sent the wrong texts to the wrong people) and go directly into the love triangle issue with Minami and Himeji both being in love with Yoshii. I mean, episode 9 is a great jump in both relationship, character and plot progression, but really oddly paced.

The teacher comments as he walked in on these two stripping each other in this scene was absolutely hilarious:
RoNiIOD.gif

This show continues to be fun as hell to watch.

TUSR

Banned

I can't wait for red hair to reluctantly join the group

and for them to discover twintails is the strongest phantom hunter

LNs

Haruchika 01

This was totally not the angle I was expecting but now I'm even more interested in this show.

I was excited for this show, but holy shit it looks ugly.

Edit: PA Works did this? Is this what duckroll was talking about a few pages ago?

As much as I loved The Big O, I'll never be able to get over how ugly the second half of the show looks. That nasty, early digipaint look seems terrible compared to how nice the first half looks. It stands out even more when they reuse footage from the first half in the second half.

I also wish that they would restore the first half from the film masters, but in Japan the entire series is upscaled. Upscaling wouldn't be able to be avoided for the second half, but it's just lazy to do it for the first half.

I'm not sure if it was just one episode or not, but I did notice that Dorothy's design had changed. It might not have been obvious at the time after the large gap from episode 13 to 14, but it was immediately noticeable here.

mj2Xw7y.jpg
4nCg3sp.jpg

Left episode 1, right episode 14

phaze

The Big O 14

So I was half right that the show would start out kinda like Geass R2 but damn what a dope episode and a really interesting way to bridge the years long gap when the show was off the air.

Hold on tightly to whatever you can.

No, John, you are the tomatoes.

Aren't we all.

there are points I wish KyoAni was like Vin Diesel, where he does big popular shit so he can afford to pay for his pet project.

What is KyoAni's Riddick?

KnK the movie.

pbayne

The Big O 14

So I was half right that the show would start out kinda like Geass R2 but damn what a dope episode and a really interesting way to bridge the years long gap when the show was off the air.

Yo how dope is schwarzvald. Big O vs Big Duo is ridiculously awesome.

How salty will people be when Phantom World probably makes more money and gets a sequel before Hyouka?

Dresden

Prince of Stride Alternate

I thought it'd be like a power walking club, but it actually seems to be a parkour-footrace kind of a thing.

The bland self-insert girl is enriched by choice of VA. I can see myself as her. The first few minutes were fun--especially the amusing introduction--but I couldn't finish it and I think I'm done with anime this season. Time to watch kagewani.

phaze

This is not really horror, per se, it's just eerie with silence and the buzzing and static sounds. I watched this because Shirow's name was attached to this having just finished watching Stand Alone Complex at the time and they sold the show as The show for Production IG's 20th anniversary. For something that's supposed to celebrate that, its destination was satisfactory, nothing spectacular. It can be kind of slow, but like a mystery, things reveal themselves one by one soon enough.

Gotta say, I did enjoy watching this with the lights off in the dead of night and the speakers turned up enhancing the buzzing and radio noises to put me in kind of a spook mode.

Yeah didn't mean to imply that. It's just that with anime being pretty much devoid of these types of work, this one is closer to it than most.

Reassuring to read that you found the ending satisfactory.

How salty will people be when Phantom World probably makes more money and gets a sequel before Hyouka?

There is no source material for second season of Hyouka. It is dead.

DEEEEEEAAAAAAAD

Clov

I'm not sure if it was just one episode or not, but I did notice that Dorothy's design had changed. It might not have been obvious at the time after the large gap from episode 13 to 14, but it was immediately noticeable here.

Yeah, beyond just the switch to digital, there's little things like that. Which I don't consider to be a big deal in comparison to how... nasty it looks in motion.

As much as I'd like it, I don't think Hyouka needs a sequel. It's great as it is.

Prince of Stride Alternative Episode 1
CYERv_NWwAEs-SI.png
tumblr_o0hyn6LKMu1sdn6j2o1_540.jpg

Wow we get Syo Kurusu's voice twice in the same day today since hes best boy on the team, Ayumu Kadowaki.

OxT's Strider High was a great song (not Tom-H@ck's best but it was great) and good visuals.
tumblr_o0hq4xwT5p1tndn6wo1_500.gif

Stride is fantastic and is so high energy and everything. Really gripping start to the season especially with the schools excitement surrounding it, intensity over boys touching each others hands, and the leg muscle obsession. Loved every moment and how close folks were. I cant wait for more.

I thought it'd be like a power walking club, but it actually seems to be a parkour-footrace kind of a thing.

The bland self-insert girl is enriched by choice of VA. I can see myself as her. The first few minutes were fun--especially the amusing introduction--but I couldn't finish it and I think I'm done with anime this season. Time to watch kagewani.

Aw. The Stride race at the end is the best part! :(

Ascheroth

While I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to write off the entire season when it has barely started, but you can't go wrong with the bolded either way.

They could make a Hyouka spin-off about Chitanda being curious about trivial things in the world.

But looking at Stalker, nothing really performs that well right now.

Cornbread78

As much as I'd like it, I don't think Hyouka needs a sequel. It's great as it is.

We need a future episode showing how Oreki's plans worked out with him running her company dammit. Oh and maybe an actually real confession, rather than a "Oh I said it in my head only" tee hee hee one...

Also, in Phantom World, there is a reason why she is fondling herself - well, more of a reason than you would expect.

RoqD4SL.png

For Water, she rubs her kidneys...
LeftOldDromedary.gif

and for Metal she rubs her chest, or lungs. I assume for each element she stimulates the relevant Yin organ. Doesn't really change the merit of the series but it's a fun fact. Also she goes into Tai Chi stances (or something very similar) whenever she goes into fondle mode.

Firemind

Also, in Phantom World, there is a reason why she is fondling herself - well, more of a reason than you would expect.

RoqD4SL.png

LeftOldDromedary

and for Metal she rubs her chest, or lungs. I assume for each element she stimulates the relevant Yin organ. Doesn't really change the merit of the series but it's a fun fact. Also she goes into Tai Chi poses (or something very similar) whenever she goes into fondle mode.
7rHPh4N.gif

Ascheroth

RoqD4SL.png

and for Metal she rubs her chest, or lungs. I assume for each element she stimulates the relevant Yin organ. Doesn't really change the merit of the series but it's a fun fact. Also she goes into Tai Chi poses (or something very similar) whenever she goes into fondle mode.

So when she fondles her chest for the Metal Qi, does that mean she is sad because she has to do it herself?

Why couldn't she use her yang organs for that?

Because Yang is generally associated with male and Yin with female

Line_HTX

Yo how dope is schwarzvald. Big O vs Big Duo is ridiculously awesome.

It bears repeating that Scharzwald's
open letter to the world
will forever be heard decades and centuries after its initial air date.

Yeah didn't mean to imply that. It's just that with anime being pretty much devoid of these types of work, this one is closer to it than most.

Reassuring to read that you found the ending satisfactory.

Oh, no problem. By satisfactory, I meant that I felt a little uncomfortable going into the finale, but thinking about it I think it kind of answered the questions I had at least. I was only satisfied because it wasn't a grand ending. I meant that I sort of liked how it ended and moved on, lol

TUSR

Banned
I'm not saying it as "Look how deep this is!!" I just happened to notice it since I took a relevant class at one point. It was more like, "Oh, well that's cool."

Did we ever get a proper explanation what her power was?

I wasn't reading the subs for some of the scenes.

Dragon Ball Z: The Dead Zone

maxresdefault.jpg

Contrary to what his name would tell you, Garlic Jr. is in fact, not yummy...

So as part of my anime new years resolution I decided to watch the Dragon Ball Z flims (as in all of them) starting with the first flim, The Dead Zone.

So basically this Pilaf look-a-like's master plan is to kill Kami by killing Piccolo, get the Dragon Ball's to wish himself immortal and conquer/destroy the world, in that order. Sounds like a good plan, so good in fact that he fails to realize killing Piccolo first (and by extension Kami) will make the balls inert and ruin everything else in his brilliant scheme. And yet, no one acknowledges that fatal flaw in his plan, not even Kami during his confrontation with Garlic Jr. (thank you Team Four Star for doing so in the writer's stead)

Fundamental flaw in the villain's plan aside, The Dead Zone is pretty enjoyable. The fight scenes were well choreographed (best part of the movie being the Power Pole sword fight scene), the animation is quite good for 1989, and the film does make good use of the series lore to give Garlic Jr. a motivation. The ending is a bit of an asspull but it doesn't detract from the film overall (at least not in the same way trying to kill Kami before using the Dragon Balls does anyway).

Oh and Krillin inadvertently drinks Gohan's pee. That's also a thing that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom