• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

My issue with BBB was it all felt very disjointed between episodes.There was an overarching plot, yet most of the episodes seemed episodic, and the show would introduce new characters like every episode, only to do absolutely nothing with them.

Stylish show, and I liked many of the characters. But the story seemed like it was all over the map.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dimension W 3
Mira focused episode. I like seeing her enjoying her freedom and buying furniture for her new 'home'. I guess they skip a certain arc from manga, well, not really matter, but that arc while not really contain important plot point, does feature car chase scene, which is a shame.

blurr

Ika Musume 09

Should finish this up soon. This has been one of the better comedy animes I've watched. Recommend it if you haven't already seen it, good production quality as well.

Ika Musume is very cute.

My issue with BBB was it all felt very disjointed between episodes.There was an overarching plot, yet most of the episodes seemed episodic, and the show would introduce new characters like every episode, only to do absolutely nothing with them.

Stylish show, and I liked many of the characters. But the story seemed like it was all over the map.

Yea, it's something I watched for the world than the story which I honestly didn't give a damn about but I don't regard it as a particularly bad thing. It's a show where the world has the limelight.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 6

Wow this show has it all... EVEN RACISM! Lol. This was a surprisingly emotional episode and while it's not a particularly original spin on the "overcoming prejudice against non-humans" sort of story, the bizarre setting, the hamburger chain commentary, and the mushroom-person elements made it work really well within the context of the show. The music in the show continues to be used really well, and the backgrounds are to die for. The mushroom-person angle along with the mean-streaked violence and racism overtures reminded me a lot of some of the tales in VanderMeer's Ambergris books. I wonder if Nightow was inspired by that?

I love that anime so much.

phaze

Kare Kano 09
Oh boy, into the melodrama land we go.

I'm not opposed to making a story with forceful exclusion out of class's social circle per se but because the reasons for it given here are so flimsy and the class itself sports a bunch of caricature stand ins for actual characters and only a single distinguishable one outside of Miyazawa, the entire situation feels artificial in extreme.

Haikyuu 01
01418306s0z.jpg

I'm sold.

pbayne

Never met a sports anime I liked.

They bounce off me worse than harem anime.

Do you not like shounen in general? Id find that the common complaint for sports anime is that they are very formulaic and shounen-tastic of "hey look at this strong team, we have to power up to beat them, we beat them but wait the next team's even better so we need to power up some more." Rinse and Repeat.

I like that formula and sports anime in general but I can understand why some people rolls their eyes at it.

Maybe try something a bit different like Hajime no Ippo (which becomes a lot more expansive as it goes on) or One Outs.(which is just Kaiji/Akagi disguised as a baseball anime). Or Free. Can't go wrong with Free.

Do you not like shounen in general? Id find that the common complaint for sports anime is that they are very formulaic and shounen-tastic of "hey look at this strong team, we have to power up to beat them, we beat them but wait the next team's even better so we need to power up some more." Rinse and Repeat.

I like that formula and sports anime in general but I can understand why some people rolls their eyes at it.

Maybe try something a bit different like Hajime no Ippo (which becomes a lot more expansive as it goes on) or One Outs.(which is just Kaiji/Akagi disguised as a baseball anime). Or Free. Can't go wrong with Free.
I tend to dislike shounen as well because them and sports anime tend to have this very common opening/start up.

Shitty team that always loses. Get MC who is totally novice. They take on the team that has lost a game since the Edo period. Completely and utterly wreck them. continue to do this throughout the entire series with the power of friendship.

UGHHHHHH.

It drives me insane and has given me a terrible perception of shounen and sports anime in general.

Toradora - 10

As expected, another two mediocre episodes with few good bits and some bad ones. Though, at least Kitamura actually became somewhat enjoyable as the oddball he is.

Therefore...

aTyomdy.png

5vLX0hc.png

dropped

phaze

Toradora - 10

As expected, another two mediocre episodes with few good bits and some bad ones. Though, at least Kitamura actually became somewhat enjoyable as the oddball he is.

Therefore...

aTyomdy.png

5vLX0hc.png

dropped

Well you'd probably like the second half even less so indeed, it's better if you break off here. I harboured the illusion that it might have been just Taiga in the first two episodes that you found repugnant but alas ...

Puruzi

Banned
Toradora was alright. Hated it and dropped it because of Taiga but I had nothing to do and recently finished it. I guess Taiga is alright.

Bakachi was robbed

I like Toradora and could probably rewatch it, but mainly because I really like the male lead and his schtick of looking evil while being a downright nice guy. But I can also look at it with goggles and understand that violent tsunderes are more disliked now than before I guess. Things change in a few years.

ibyea

Banned
I tend to dislike shounen as well because them and sports anime tend to have this very common opening/start up.

Shitty team that always loses. Get MC who is totally novice. They take on the team that has lost a game since the Edo period. Completely and utterly wreck them. continue to do this throughout the entire series with the power of friendship.

UGHHHHHH.

It drives me insane and has given me a terrible perception of shounen and sports anime in general.

For me what drives me up the wall is that even the good ones will have the most atrocious pacing ever. *cough*Hunter x Hunter*cough*

Clov

Osomatsu episode 16 was pretty incredible. Especially that first segment.

Next episode looks like it's going to be pretty amazing too. Can't wait!

Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13

4520820-9921658878-44174.jpg

Unstoppable! Blue! And utterly devoid of personality!

"Meh" would be the appropriate word to describe Super Android 13. Meh story, meh fights, meh villains. Even the abridged version of this film is meh, relative to TFS standards anyways. It's like everyone stopped caring about making it somewhat interesting and notable.

...Actually that's not entirely true. Android 13's accent is completely ridiculous and out of place for the series. Aside from that though, it's completely unoteworthy.

Mature

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 6

Wow this show has it all... EVEN RACISM! Lol. This was a surprisingly emotional episode and while it's not a particularly original spin on the "overcoming prejudice against non-humans" sort of story, the bizarre setting, the hamburger chain commentary, and the mushroom-person elements made it work really well within the context of the show. The music in the show continues to be used really well, and the backgrounds are to die for. The mushroom-person angle along with the mean-streaked violence and racism overtures reminded me a lot of some of the tales in VanderMeer's Ambergris books. I wonder if Nightow was inspired by that?
Glad you seem to be enjoying this. I thought BBB's episodic stuff went sort of under appreciated. I'll have to check out the dub sometime.

Well you'd probably like the second half even less so indeed, it's better if you break off here. I harboured the illusion that it might have been just Taiga in the first two episodes that you found repugnant but alas ...

Nah, wasn't joking when I said all the major characters in the first few (turned out to be the first two) episodes.

You gonna keep watching Kare Kano? The direction of the drama etc. will remain the same so I don't see you really liking that more along the way, though there's always a chance I guess.

Dunno how much you value the comedy side of it still.

Squishy3

UGHHHHHH.

Ippo doesn't fall into this trap, at least. It's really only a problem with the team-based sports anime/manga and not the ones that focus on individual-based sports.

Ippo also has the best supporting cast. Takamura is a national treasure.

Not even Girls und Panzer?
Girls und Panzer got a pass for me because the 'sport' is extremely unique.

You silly.

Princess Nine seems like your sort of show.
After looking it up I'm liking what the see so far, story and artstyle are what are drawing me in.

Might look at this inbetween Aikatsu.
Ippo doesn't fall into this trap, at least. It's really only a problem with the team-based sports anime/manga and not the ones that focus on individual-based sports.

I've heard a lot of good things about Ippo but it has never caught me eye much and boxing isn't a sport I think much of.

Squishy3

I've heard a lot of good things about Ippo but it has never caught me eye much and boxing isn't a sport I think much of.
Neither did I. I thought it looked offputting too before I actually sat down and watched it. It's super good. The chemistry between the characters is excellent, the animation is good, the sound design is great, amazing soundtrack... I could go on for days.

Plus Rikiya Koyama is Takamura and Takamura is a complete goofball, which is a great antithesis to the kind of characters he usually voices.

pbayne

Aoki, Takamura, Kimura, Volg, Date, Mashiba...holy shit there's so many characters in Ippo that I care about.

Except for that bear Takamura killed. What a jobber.

Didn't his VA do Tora recently?

Kyuur

Grimgar Light Novel Spoilers Below

Grimgar episode 3 "spoilers"

The whole priest debacle in Grimgar is one of those reasons why i dislike adaptation anime.

Altough his dead is getting foreshadowed a lot you can't say for sure that he is gonna kick it if you just watched the anime. Just googling 'grimgar novel translation' and you find the whole novel translated. Wouldn't be that hard for someone not interested in the show to find it and post spoilers under the guise of making a prediction.

It reminds me of the JoJo thread a couple of seasons back because some users "guessed"
who was gonna die and what the world's power was.

Edit: since when is commenting on

Thanks dude. Don't label something as spoilers for the most recent episode and then spoil something that hasn't even been adapted ffs.

Squishy3

Aoki, Takamura, Kimura, Volg, Date, Mashiba...holy shit there's so many characters in Ippo that I care about.

Yeah, he's Tora. I guess that counts too, but I still feel like he gets cast for Emiya-type roles a lot.

Qurupeke

Golden Time 4-6

Still amazing. The pace is faster than I anticipated and they've pretty much explained the amnesia story. I don't really understand how Banri didn't see that photo with Linda earlier but I guess he didn't bother. In any case, what Linda did was rather selfish, but maybe they'll explain her reasons further than just guilt. It's amazing that she could even look him with a straight face.

The show's highlight is still Koko though. Post rejection Koko was a step up, I really loved how she bullied that stupid Oka Chinami. She really is an amazing character and it seems we're already on the part that she confessed her love. I just hope she won't get rejected again. Mitsuo can go die.

Also, I guess I saw the ghost people kept mentioning. I just wonder how crucial to the plot this will be... The show seems pretty normal for having something "supernatural".

Girls und Panzer got a pass for me because the 'sport' is extremely unique.

You silly.

After looking it up I'm liking what the see so far, story and artstyle are what are drawing me in.

Might look at this inbetween Aikatsu.

Read Keijo.

TUSR

Banned
Golden Time 3-6

Still amazing. The pace is faster than I anticipated and they've pretty much explained the amnesia story. I don't really understand how Banri didn't see that photo with Linda earlier but I guess he didn't bother. In any case, what Linda did was rather selfish, but maybe they'll explain her reasons further than just guilt. It's amazing that she could even look him with a straight face.

Also, I guess I saw the ghost people kept mentioning. I just wonder how crucial to the plot this will be... The show seems pretty normal for having something "supernatural".

:)

Squishy3

You're forgetting Sendo, Kamogawa, the massage therapist, Kumi and Tomiko, the boxing journalists, Nekota... the list goes on. There's too many good characters in Ippo.

Now I want to rewatch Ippo.

Golden Time 4-6

The show's highlight is still Koko though. Post rejection Koko was a step up, I really loved how she bullied that stupid Oka Chinami. She really is an amazing character and it seems we're already on the part that she confessed her love. I just hope she won't get rejected again. Mitsuo can go die.

Also, I guess I saw the ghost people kept mentioning. I just wonder how crucial to the plot this will be...The show seems pretty normal for having something "supernatural".
You poor soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom