• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachael

Overall, I still have a mix feeling with this franchise but I will say it was fun to watch the TV series and make me have some interested in the game and want to walk some walk through for it.

Yeah, the show's harder to get into if you're not familiar with the game, the OVAs were great if you played Sakura Wars 1-2. Either way they're alright gameplay wise as it's aged a bit, but the characters are still great. Agreed with the earlier post that the movie's best part was the last act play, that was the real climax for me. The theatre plays the cast do are funny/great overall, can never get enough of Kouhei Tanaka + some tongue in cheek play-acting.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
watched the first episode and...it was bad. good god it was bad. that talk about breasts and being fat? cringe. so much cringe. I mean that scene just did not end. (~_~)"

the art was amazing and the world seemed interesting so I pushed myself to watch the second episode and well, that was awesome. wonderful art, great animation, not so much cringe worthy stuff even though I want that redhead to die because he is annoying.
I really love the slow pace.

I need to show this to my fiancée but I'll probably have to start with ep 02 for her.

Branduil

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 2

This show is totally made for Toonami. The western setting, the great backgrounds and detailed art, the wacky humor, the random superpowers, the music with vocals. I dunno what FUNi is waiting for, it's even fully dubbed! :p

This was a fun but totally random episode. One thing the show is doing a good job of selling so far is that this city is -crazy- and everyone in it is crazy. The good guys are crazy, the bad guys are crazy, no one takes anything seriously, and anything goes. Fun stuff!

P.S. Goddamn the backgrounds and music are so good.

Wait, you waited this long to watch this?

duckroll

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 3

I17pvrL.jpg
uyh2lMZ.jpg

I wasn't expecting an entire episode about Klaus playing demon-chess with a Lovecraftian mob boss to get information on the drug trade. There is really nothing normal about this show or conventional about the sorts of stories it wants to tell. It's also interesting how dense the episodes feel. There aren't really any introductions because everyone in the setting already know each other and have been at it for a long time, but at the same time we don't really get to know them through Leonardo even though the story is set up that way, instead it jumps from story to story with the understanding that time passes between episodes and stuff is just happening all the time.

Everything about the setting is captivating though. it's a living breathing hub of chaos filled with monsters and demons and unmentionables, while everyone just accepts it as it is, and every part of the city has totally unique and alien designs. Really cool. Great use of classical music in the chess match too. Everything in this show just oozes atmosphere.

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 4

At this point I'm really starting to see the similarities and influences Kyosogiga has on this show. What Rie Matsumoto has brought with her is both the ability to effortlessly navigate through a chaotic city built on pure imagination by focusing on individual themed stories rather than strict linear narratives, and the desire to expand on the chaotic theme by making the stories feel somewhat disjointed and loosely connected to give the show a slice of life feel even though the actual stories can be high octane and anything but normal.

The party scene in this episode is another thing which reminded me a lot of Kyosogiga, where you see bunch of characters both new and old just mingling together. The show doesn't really introduce the new characters, but the density adds to the sense that the world is inhabited and not one that exists just to serve the viewer or the narrative.

The humor on the show really works too, but in a way which is rather bold. Instead of actual laugh out loud moments or obvious jokes, there is just an ongoing humorous air about everything. The comedy working relies on the visuals and the timing selling it because it feels like an ongoing stage act, so it's good that the production values are really high so even simple things like accidents happening around Abraham is taken to the next level because they're so over the top and well animated.

Wait, you waited this long to watch this?

I've watched some of this before, but I can't remember a damn thing since it fell into the backlog last year. Just starting from scratch again. And watching it dubbed this time!

phaze

Mononoke - Episode 6-7

Really liked this story. Smart storytelling that subverts expectations to deliver a stronger message is always appreciated. Here the setup suggests one thing, but reality is another. Yet from the start, if we pay attention the Medicine Seller provides all the information to unravel the "truth" of the matter. The mystery here is not just something he is trying to solve (discerning the true form of the mononoke) but also a situation where the subject character, and by proxy the audience, has to be eased to understand the reality of what is happening. There's some really good directing here, and the use of repetition was almost annoying until it clicked as to what it was trying to convey. Good stuff.

I tried to be as vague as possible in the write-up, but for those who have seen the show and might not remember the exact story here, this is the one where he visits a woman in a "prison" pretending to be a fellow prisoner, but in the end it is revealed that she never killed anyone but rather was a mononoke born of her inability to break away from her trapped life, killing her own dreams and desires. Presumably the entire two episodes took place in a delusion of the mononoke's creation, in that single slice of time repeated over and over until she was set free by extermination.

You managed to take away from this arc much more than I did on my run. After a rewatch, it probably edges out Sea Bishop as my favourite arc.

You particularly stated that it is also visible early on and after 8 episodes where it finds absolutely zero resemblance in her characterization I can refute that.

She's just one bad character, though. There's many more flaws that'll make me drop it in 2 episodes when I fulfilled my contract unless it miraculously takes a sharp turn now.

Minorin , it's up to you to save this poor soul ...

Show by Rock!! 10

Rakugo 03

Love triangle incoming ? It's a pretty ballsy move to immediately jump into an extended flashback, already longer than the present story is at this point. Show reminds me a bit of House of Five Leaves, very mellow, yet still effortlessly engaging.

Dimension W 03

This was a surprisingly edible episode considering the subject matter.

Rotnems

Neo Member
Grimgar episode 3 "spoilers"

The whole priest debacle in Grimgar is one of those reasons why i dislike adaptation anime.

Altough his dead is getting foreshadowed a lot you can't say for sure that he is gonna kick it if you just watched the anime. Just googling 'grimgar novel translation' and you find the whole novel translated. Wouldn't be that hard for someone not interested in the show to find it and post spoilers under the guise of making a prediction.

It reminds me of the JoJo thread a couple of seasons back because some users "guessed"
who was gonna die and what the world's power was.

Edit: since when is commenting on

Diodiablo

Banned
The whole priest debacle in Grimgar is one of those reasons why i dislike adaptation anime.

Altough his dead is getting foreshadowed a lot you can't say for sure that he is gonna kick it if you just watched the anime. Just googling 'grimgar novel translation' and you find the whole novel translated. Wouldn't be that hard for someone not interested in the show to find it and post spoilers under the guise of making a prediction.

It reminds me of the JoJo thread a couple of seasons back because some users "guessed"

This works for any adaptation of a media in another, Red Wedding anyone?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The problem with JoJo is that The World and what it did was already popular knowledge before the anime adaptation thanks to the fighting game.

All those WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY images around the web was in fact my introduction the series in the first place.

That's not to mention it's not even the first anime adaptation. It is an old property after all. Stands are even referenced in other anime shows because it's a well known property.

duckroll

Yeah the dub is pretty solid. Outside of a few lipflaps which they couldn't perfectly sync up, the presentation is very natural. I like the writing too. Well adapted to flow with the scenes.

kewlmyc

Her role in the manga is confusing as fuck and it concludes in a stupid way that pretty much invalidates her.

Some stupid shit ending spoilers:
Oogami continues killing "evil" and she just kind of stops giving a shit. Also she falls in love with him. It's as if to say she was wrong the whole time and some people do need to be killed despite the manga portraying her as in the right for nearly the entire damn story.

What the hell kind of message is this!?

Fuckin dumb series.

That's disappointing.

Yeah the dub is pretty solid. Outside of a few lipflaps which they couldn't perfectly sync up, the presentation is very natural. I like the writing too. Well adapted to flow with the scenes.

The first 3 episodes confused me as to what the hell was going on, but I might give the dub a try this week to round off my top 10 list.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 178:

Well, in keeping with the pattern this is a focus episode on the last member of The Three Lights, Yaten, the quiet jerk of the group and for some reason this episode is centered around pets so that means Luna gets to share the spotlight this time around. Anyway, things have mostly declined to the usual formula spiel by this point but not completely as The Starlgihts drops some hint to their purpose and their mission around Luna. Also, I think this episode was engaging in some metahumor or at least that is the hope since they joke about how cats can't fall in love with humans and the thing of it is in the manga this arc is when we got to learn that Luna is not only a cat but human as well. Not much more to say about this one really.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 179:

I will say something that is already tipping this season towards being my favorite is it has a sense of progression that was always lacking in the other seasons. I wouldn't go so far as it to call it full borne interlocking continuity or arc based storytelling as seen in the first arc of the season but the overall gestalt is not staying static either. To wit, Sailor Iron Mouse is already on thin ice and is being threatened with replacements who two new guardians waiting in the wings. No idea why Sailor Galaxia doesn't just send out all three of them but formula is formula. Also, Hakura and Michiru make a cameo appearance and there is no other way to say it but they look so out of the loop because they don't realize the next great wave isn't coming, it is here and it has been very active. The nature of the relationship if The Inners and The Starlights is also changing, they are still trying to unconvincingly hammer that enemy or ally narrative and it just doesn't work because the Starlights lack the ruthlessness of The Outers. Oh and they are beginning the first pushes towards a romantic angle between Taiki and Usagi and even with obliteration this rings hollow though in the defense I do believe this was a thing from the manga.

duckroll

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 5

My favorite episode yet. This was a totally wild ride and reminded me of Looney Tunes cartoons. There's just so much energy in it. The start of the chase was hilarious and the comic timing was so good. Even though the show keeps introducing more and more characters, and there's barely any space to breath, they're very distinctive characters who seem to serve thematic purposes rather than story ones. Another thing this show has in common with Kyosogiga. The entire "twisted love" thing in the episode could have gone nowhere in the end and it would have still been entertaining, but capping it off with the Leo/White stuff is a sign that the show does want to be something more. I think it's effective, and the direction is really good.

Working!!! 3

That penultimate scene... is this the scent of progress?!

Look forward to the next episodes. This was the season of progress for ALL of the characters. Can't think of another show in recent years that has finalized and resolved all storyline threads in the way Working!!! did, specially with that hour long finale.

How Puzzle and Dragons can help you find True Love. By Studio Colorido.

Look forward to the next episodes. This was the season of progress for ALL of the characters. Can't think of another show in recent years that has finalized and resolved all storyline threads in the way Working!!! did, specially with that hour long finale.

That's what I heard, and one reason why I was particularly interested in watching this. Not that I needed progress to enjoy the series, since I liked the second season, but if it's being given to me I'll certainly take it!

Russ T

Banned
Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 3

I wasn't expecting an entire episode about Klaus playing demon-chess with a Lovecraftian mob boss to get information on the drug trade.

That was the episode when I knew I really loved the world of BBB. Such a weird (and awesome) thing, and it felt right in the context of the series. Never did end up super sold on the big plot, but I'd definitely watch a second season if it ever came out.

Yona of the Dawn 2

This is better directed than I would have anticipated, but since I want to finish watching this by the end of the month, I'll have to save the detailed analysis I'd like to do for later. I'll just say it's pretty compelling so far, though I wonder if we'll actually get to the time of the flashforward scene by the end of the anime.

So this week I'm going to try to finish for AOTY consideration:

Perfect Insider
Wish Upon the Pleiades
Working!!!
Yona of the Dawn
Concrete Revolutio
Death Parade

If I can manage to do that, it'll be a good feat.

I'm just loving how many people are giving The Perfect Insider a chance and how positive everyone's opinions have been. It was certainly one of my top 10 from last year.

duckroll

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 6

Wow this show has it all... EVEN RACISM! Lol. This was a surprisingly emotional episode and while it's not a particularly original spin on the "overcoming prejudice against non-humans" sort of story, the bizarre setting, the hamburger chain commentary, and the mushroom-person elements made it work really well within the context of the show. The music in the show continues to be used really well, and the backgrounds are to die for. The mushroom-person angle along with the mean-streaked violence and racism overtures reminded me a lot of some of the tales in VanderMeer's Ambergris books. I wonder if Nightow was inspired by that?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I just found out that the author of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu wrote BL.

Now that's interesting.

After watching ep.3, I'll be even more surprised if the author never did BL.
That pinky swear bed scene is totally yaoi bait.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo 3

Bon love story was interesting. Too bad his first love must end soon.
Glad that he and Shin can reunite after war over and start doing rakugo again.

Russ T

Banned
Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 6

Wow this show has it all... EVEN RACISM! Lol. This was a surprisingly emotional episode and while it's not a particularly original spin on the "overcoming prejudice against non-humans" sort of story, the bizarre setting, the hamburger chain commentary, and the mushroom-person elements made it work really well within the context of the show. The music in the show continues to be used really well, and the backgrounds are to die for. The mushroom-person angle along with the mean-streaked violence and racism overtures reminded me a lot of some of the tales in VanderMeer's Ambergris books. I wonder if Nightow was inspired by that?

That was maybe my favorite episode!!

Just T

Dimension W: 3

Mira centric episode and it was good, she’s a fun character. A little bit of world building too. I wonder when Kyouma will start to warm up around her, looking forward to learning more about his past too.

Grimgar: 3

Slow episode for the most part but still straight. The preview seems foreboding but figured something would happen to his character, felt like he’s had a giant flag over him for a while.

Ace of Diamond Second Season Episode 42
tumblr_o1imibzfiM1sbu9obo2_500.gif

Kawakami still the best pitchers, but Raichi is epic too. Though I guess he has no control. I still love how his students respond to seeing him, why so creeped out, shocked, and in disbelief, lol. Though shy Raichi was there when he didn't seem to interact well with Miyuki.

The senpai (Kawakami), and cheetah Kuromochi-sama gave the best moments.

More Itsumei scenes are needed.
tumblr_o1ifezfyDI1rq4onlo1_540.png

Russ T

Banned
It's not all downhill from here is it?!

I can't remember, to be honest. It might go down and up a couple more times. It does get more Big Plot heavy as it nears the end, which, as I've probably said in this thread a dozen times now, is my least favorite part of the show. I don't think it ever gets outright bad, for whatever that's worth.

Grimgar episode 3 "spoilers"

Edit: since when is commenting on
Ffs

If anybody cares about spoilers in this property don't read this as he's basically telling us by implication.

Next time you wanna pretend like you're bothered by spoilers don't put them under the title 'episode 3' spoilers and then basically tell us.

Do me a favor and don't read the Manga of Erased and then complain about people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom