• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I'm on Team Cornbread (as in I actually enjoyed SAO the first time) so a unit of 1 SAO is a measurement of enjoyment! :D

I think I gave Gurren Lagann a 7 SAOs back in 2013

at least your relative scale is accurate even if your unit for comparison is utterly broken to me ;__;

Sakura

I've got no horse in this "do they pay for the inn or not" race, but IIRC meals/food costs mere coppers. Presumably a single silver is many coppers, so you can survive food-wise for a decent amount of time on 10 silver. Maybe lodgings are similarly cheap. "Cheap."

Nah it's not really that cheap if you think about it.
It's kind of like 1 copper = 1 dollar in my opinion.
4 copper for that meat on a stick thing at the stand. 10 copper per room at their apparently super cheap residence. 800 copper for one week training.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Just that it was interesting that SAO's adaptation apparently suffered in a similar fashion. You have people with legitimate issues about the show and you have a flustered LN fanbase trying to explain important details that were left out.
I hope you aren't referring to me.
I've only read a few chapters of the LN.

Russ T

Banned
Nah it's not really that cheap if you think about it.
It's kind of like 1 copper = 1 dollar in my opinion.
4 copper for that meat on a stick thing at the stand. 10 copper per room at their apparently super cheap residence. 800 copper for one week training.

I meant in the sense that it'd be a decent chunk of change if they actually had a paying job. If they weren't completely trash useless. If they weren't coerced into doing something they've obviously a pile of hot garbage at.

Sakura

I meant in the sense that it'd be a decent chunk of change if they actually had a paying job. If they weren't completely trash useless. If they weren't coerced into doing something they've obviously a pile of hot garbage at.

But... they aren't completely useless.
At the end of the day they are still killing goblins one way or another aren't they?
Sure it took like 3 of them sneaking up on a sleeping goblin to kill it, but they still killed it, and made like 4 silver at least off that one goblin.

But honestly I'm not sure why they were coerced into doing it either. Maybe they are just really short on soldiers in this world and need to pay even crappy teenagers to do it?
I think it is somewhat weird though that nobody asked that volunteer soldier person why they were in the world or where they came from. It's probably the thing I would want to know most. Or maybe they did and I forgot.

Squishy3

Gunbuster 1-6 REWATCH

Just as good the second time around. Or is it the third? I don't remember. Ending is just as powerful as I remember it being. The weirdest thing going back to it is hearing a Wakamoto that doesn't have his ham on 100%. Can't really say much more, I'm not one for long detailed write-ups, so: It's Gunbuster, it's a classic. Watch it.

It's also slightly melancholy because fuck Gainax is a walking corpse.

bz22q.jpg

jonjonaug

Grimgar 3 - So far every episode has had some way of treating its female characters like props along with creepy camera angles. The setting is comfy and the concept could be actually interesting, but the writing itself is pretty bad. The characters are merely "OK" at best but mostly are just incredibly bland. Dropped.

Gunbuster 1-6 REWATCH

Just as good the second time around. Or is it the third? I don't remember. Ending is just as powerful as I remember it being. The weirdest thing going back to it is hearing a Wakamoto that doesn't have his ham on 100%. Can't really say much more, I'm not one for long detailed write-ups, so: It's Gunbuster, it's a classic. Watch it.

Wakamoto turns the ham down when he's in a position of authority in a show with a serious (or serious-ish) setting like Gunbuster has and he has a role meant to be taken seriously. These are also his best roles.

Sakura

Gunbuster 1-6 REWATCH

This is probably one of my favourite combat scenes in the genre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vCY3I5yxo

Russ T

Banned
At the end of the day they are still killing goblins one way or another aren't they?
Sure it took like 3 of them sneaking up on a sleeping goblin to kill it, but they still killed it, and made like 4 silver at least off that one goblin.

But honestly I'm not sure why they were coerced into doing it either. Maybe they are just really short on soldiers in this world and need to pay even crappy teenagers to do it?
I think it is somewhat weird though that nobody asked that volunteer soldier person why they were in the world or where they came from. It's probably the thing I would want to know most. Or maybe they did and I forgot.

All right, fair enough. Then let's go with "almost completely useless"! Regardless, the fact that they've managed to kill only two goblins across dozens of days, while another group became full soldiers in the first episode, kind of shows that this group in particular is bad. Except for priest guy. He's got his shit together, for some reason. Thief guy seems not too bad, either, he seems to be proper good at sneaking around and scouting. But as a unit? Oof. OOF!

I mean I can believe maybe they REALLY need soldiers, and that's why this whole scam exists, but what I can't believe is that they think a few weeks of training is enough to make someone ready for battle. Let alone how to work as a team with other people.

Only reason I'm so hot and bothered about this is because I think the core concept is super interesting, but they do a really bad job of selling it. The rampant sexism sure doesn't help, either. I know, I know, "anime", but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Because I don't!

Anyway, I'll keep watching. It's a hate-watch for sure, though, unless it manages to really pay off down the line.

^i would lower the score if the director didn't did same thing he did in Aiura, good to see he's fetish still here.

Seeing none of any locals looks surprised, it's likely they're not first and won't be last group of normie transported to Grimgar world.
Maybe that's even the way that they hire volunteer soldiers.

Squishy3

Wakamoto turns the ham down when he's in a position of authority in a show with a serious (or serious-ish) setting like Gunbuster has and he has a role meant to be taken seriously. These are also his best roles.
He certainly doesn't turn it down for the Gintama serious arcs. :p And he's the director of the police department and Shinsengumi!

zulux21

Grimgar 3 - So far every episode has had some way of treating its female characters like props along with creepy camera angles. The setting is comfy and the concept could be actually interesting, but the writing itself is pretty bad. The characters are merely "OK" at best but mostly are just incredibly bland. Dropped.

if every scene with the red head male character was removed I likely wouldn't mind grimgar... as it is they waste like 20% of each episode on such a completely useless horrible character and the slow place is drug down by what feels on par with naruto filler I dropped it :/

plus archer chick is annoying.
I don't know how to aim but I am gonna use a bow anyways.

to be fair I have dropped most of the anime of the season at this point.

I'm only still actively watching
Gate season 2
Dimension W
Erased.

with half hearted watching of
Nijiro days
phantom world.
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!

the shows on the half hearted list likely only have a week or two left before they are dropped lol. The other three are safe for the whole season though.

Jintor

Seeing none of any locals looks surprised, it's likely they're not first and won't be last group of normie transported to Grimgar world.
Maybe that's even the way that they hire volunteer soldiers.

yeah we kidnap dudes every few months from some mystical other realm

it's cool. they're all losers anyway

Dresden

ferpect insider - 1

The op is rad, but everything else presentation wise is pretty disappointing. It looks like a sitcom, framed as if the scenes took place within a shoebox. The pale saturated lighting doesn't help, and reminded me of psycho-pass for whatever reason.

This did make me chuckle politely:

I like Nishinosono.

blurr

Gunbuster 1-6 REWATCH

dat okaeri nasai

JulianImp

KareKano #7
Well, I guess I like romcoms after all... this episode was great, since what looked like a generic way to complicate their relationship was wrapped up in a single episode, and with both their parents and the teacher himself encouraging them to choose their own path. Seeing the MCs' parents trust their children so much is something I don't see often in this kind of setting, and it's really refreshing to say the least.

I also think that romance shows tend to focus more on how the couple gets together and end shortly after getting to that point, which KareKano handles in a different way by focusing on a functional and prosperous relationship that becomes established fairly early on. The show's cheap animation and constant artistic shifts are a bit weird at times, but they feel like another one of its endearing quirks, which kind of reminds me a bit of Monogatari for some reason I can't quite explain.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
To this day, i'd still wonder if Steve Jobs and crab in Aiura opening was accidental or not. Because goddamn...

But yeah, the director directing is very different from when he did Mouryou no hako and hashire melos. Less male gaze, more interesting stuff, but then again, those two show don't really has fanservice and from strong source material, so i guess there's that.

I don't think it is that strange to invest 10 silver coins if they could return it soon as evidence by Renji group. Though in case of Haru group, they are bunch of weakling, which mean maybe once in a while they get shitty adventurer.

Quasar

Danmachi was a pretty good show overall. The fight scene in ep.9 was amazing and he really had to work at it to get better.

I haven't heard anything about Aiz, but from what has been rumored, Danmachi was the prologue for a much larger story to come later.

I wonder if that will get animated. Of course I'm still waiting for the official translations to catch up to where the anime ended.

jonjonaug

Schwarzes Marken Episode 3 - I'm stunned. The plot is actually moving,
the protagonist stopped being a generic jerk and straight up admitted his insecurities
, they stopped
beating around the bush with the captain when I thought they were gonna drag that out at least three more episodes
, actual battles happened,
people got eaten
, the motivational speeches were almost on par with the good ones from Alternative, BETA
got blown the fuck up
, and actual real honest to god character development happened.

What the hell is this? I'm so used to Muv Luv spinoffs being terrible but this is...good? I think it's good? I'm so confused.
The stuff with the twintailed girl was over the top
but the I enjoyed the rest of it a lot, especially
the scene between Theodor and Irisdina
and
that explosion at the end that was so freaking cool

EDIT: Watched the after credits scene and GOD DAAAAAAAAAAMN
I did not expect them to pull that trigger so early, stasimouto gonna throw wrenches into this here mix

Quasar

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Just that it was interesting that SAO's adaptation apparently suffered in a similar fashion. You have people with legitimate issues about the show and you have a flustered LN fanbase trying to explain important details that were left out.

That's like almost all based on novels anime I've seen. Perhaps only Spice and Wold escaped that. Everything else is butchered in an effort to fit into 12 episode chunks and to attract a certain audience segment.

sonicmj1

I don't know why people assumed that they were staying at that place for free. I just figured rent was one of the many gradual drains on their funds.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't know why people assumed that they were staying at that place for free. I just figured rent was one of the many gradual drains on their funds.
Probably because the facility is really elaborate, and if you're that strapped for cash to the point where your worry is starvation you'd think there'd be a cheaper lodging option.

Dimefan3

I'm happy to say I've recently started to get back into Anime again after a bit of a break, I recently had a binge watch of Fullmetal Alchemist (the original series, although this time I'm giving Brotherhood a decent chance, which I didn't get through last time.) and also have been listening to the AAA Podcast and the ANN Podcast, so I have a bit of catching up to do.

For this season though, Dagashi Kashi looks interesting, and I've heard some good things about ERASED. Might have to finally give Crunchyroll a shot.

Busaiku

Patema Inverted was pretty cool, but it suffered from being almost completely told through Age.
They really should've switched around at about the hour mark.

I liked Patema Inverted well enough. It was okay.

But it felt like they couldn't decide if they wanted the movie to be grounded and a bit serious, or whimsical and light.

It alternates heavily between the two, and feels a bit empty as a result.

zulux21

Dang, Funimation is losing Baccano!?
Doesn't the Aniplex release not even credit the US cast.

I imagine in the next few years that funimation will lose rights to pretty much all aniplex shows.

a lot of them will likely get the Gurren Lagann treatment of a new release on blu ray at $50-$60 per 4-5 episodes.

KareKano #7
Well, I guess I like romcoms after all... this episode was great, since what looked like a generic way to complicate their relationship was wrapped up in a single episode, and with both their parents and the teacher himself encouraging them to choose their own path. Seeing the MCs' parents trust their children so much is something I don't see often in this kind of setting, and it's really refreshing to say the least.

I also think that romance shows tend to focus more on how the couple gets together and end shortly after getting to that point, which KareKano handles in a different way by focusing on a functional and prosperous relationship that becomes established fairly early on. The show's cheap animation and constant artistic shifts are a bit weird at times, but they feel like another one of its endearing quirks, which kind of reminds me a bit of Monogatari for some reason I can't quite explain.

That's part what makes KareKano so great. While the pacing is without a doubt really swift and major dramatic points arise quickly, it's all simply well executed and written. Yukino's entirely family has proper characterization and when her father takes his supportive stance on this matter and resolves the issue I was delighted.

In general Kare Kano cuts short many of these issue's that I could see taking up many episodes in other shows. I think you aren't there yet, so I'll put it in spoilers (ep9 or 10 I think):
A female childhood acquaintance of Soichiro shows up and she's upset about him dating another girl. So she beings to mess with Yukino while acting like a victim and you already start to dread some annoying triangle and misunderstandings to sour the couple's relationship. But then, bam. Soichiro just goes "Stop that. Yukino would never do what you're claiming so bugger off." (roughly)
Amazing.

And sure enough, for all the problems that do get solved quickly, new ones are ever forthcoming. But since they tend to play relatively well into the established characterizations and the writing and directing is strong, I take zero issue with that. KareKano expands on many other characters at some point, too. A pity that the production than goes up in flames as I really would've liked to see more of all that.

---

Where Grimgar makes little sense to me is how valuable even single weak goblin kills are. Might be they had just especially good luck with the 'droprate' on them but for a group of 6 to sustain themselves for a week or so with merely that, it would seem like the more experienced soldiers/hunters would basically leave no space for these newbies. I think they gave some justification as to why no one was hunting in the same location but I don't think it really adds up, unless there's very few people in that world.

Salex_

One piece has to be one of the biggest surprises ever for me. Played One Piece Treasure Cruise and finally gave the anime a try after a few months. From the outside, it just looked like a silly show with a strange art style. 1-435 dubbed and 435-541 subbed episodes later, it's become my favorite anime of all time.

I wasn't expecting a show like this to handle so many different themes.
Discrimination, slavery, meaningful deaths, etc.
There's so many great characters, I love the foreshadowing, character development, and adventures. It's nice to know that I have over 200 episodes to watch whenever I have free time.

For when I finally run out of episodes, I'm curious, Is Fairy Tail anywhere near as good as One Piece?

Busaiku

I imagine in the next few years that funimation will lose rights to pretty much all aniplex shows.

a lot of them will likely get the Gurren Lagann treatment of a new release on blu ray at $50-$60 per 4-5 episodes.
Baccano! was already released by them on Blu Ray, but it's out of print
I'd heard that said release doesn't credit the English cast, though it does have the track.

Shonen rarely do right by female characters, because they often fill the role of the designated love interest first.

Few shonen have women in dominant leading roles really.

Soul Eater did okay in that regard I suppose.

Jintor

Shonen rarely do right by female characters, because they often fill the role of the designated love interest first.

Few shonen have women in dominant leading roles really.

Soul Eater did okay in that regard I suppose.

maka's great.

hmmm. Off the top of my head... Nami is pretty great, honestly. It's just the visual design in OP for women especially that can get pretty grating.

I want to wrap my head around this.

So they are paid depending on the loot they get from goblins? I recall them taking the scraps off one and saying "ooh boy I guess this is our loot"

If they're being paid silver, and staying at this inn thing cost mere copper...

What's the incentive of killing anything else? Seems like at this point they could keep finding goblins, getting decent loot, and obtaining more money since the pay is LEAGUES beyond the cost of living. Like the way this economy works you get paid in silver for a trinket from a low level goblin but cost of living is a few copper?

This one is probably easier to answer, but why are they even killing goblin? No goblin so far has given me the impression that they go out of their way to attack the village/people. All we've seen from what I recall is a group of goblins chilling and laughing, one fishing, and another sleeping. Is it a population control issue?

zulux21

For when I finally run out of episodes, I'm curious, Is Fairy Tail anywhere near as good as One Piece?

Ha Ha Ha Ha... no.
that is like asking if the neptunia games are as good as the best final fantasy games.

there is enjoyment to be found in fairy tail, but it's not even close to one piece's level.
also if you do watch fairy tail, be ready for 20 or so really meh episodes before it gets interesting (once it gets interesting it's not bad though)

I also will say if you don't mind reading manga I would shift to that for one piece.
Where you are at each episode is a mere 1 chapter of manga.
a chapter of manga will take you 2 min or so to read.
the anime episode is 20 min.
in the time you watch 1 episode you could read 10 chapters and the pacing will be much better.

general recommendation. read the manga... then find the scenes you want to see animated in the anime and watch them.

Baccano! was already released by them on Blu Ray, but it's out of print
I'd heard that said release doesn't credit the English cast, though it does have the track.

ah, I don't really pay attention to rereleases of series I own. The difference between blu ray and DVD isn't big enough for me to care about rebuying series ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom