• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

The Next “Let’s Watch” is up:
Code:Breaker
5qVlNpK.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175235
(available dubbed and subbed)

I found Grimgar's depiction of women to be substantially more regressive than its contemporaries. In its medium. In its stupid trapped in a game genre. In the shared Winter season. There is a baser level of objectification here with the absence of character motivation that strips away even the tiniest hint of self interest or talent. Of the two girl characters one is "bad with words" and the other is afraid to talk to men. They don't even get a voice.

This was one of my major issue with the show, but also one of the places that gave me hope for the show. I would love to see Yume and Shihoru get their confidence and become actual characters instead of the sex objects they are as the story stands now.

I don't think that is going to happen, but if it does I'll buy a boxset out of shock.

duckroll

Hey Cornbread78, can you not spam an ad every 4-5 hours? If people are interested, they'll join in, if people are not, well then they're not. It's kinda annoying seeing the same post and gif pop up every couple of pages.

Schwarzesmarken 03

Mmmm, yes this is that brand of despair I know and love so god damn much. Seeing Katia's annoying optimism get shattered was amazing. Its like these people forget that you know fuck trying to get your countries to play nice and get everyone free and happy, how about you remember the fucking aliens currently wrecking your shit in and humanity without any real means of stopping them right now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
People still thought it's trapped in game genre?
Don't meme on me like this. The minutiae of where they are is irrelevant. The world itself is gameifyed. They are saving money to learn abilities. They have to register with some stupid guild. Rewards are guaranteed from killing monsters.

Don't meme on me like this. The minutiae of where they are is irrelevant. The world itself is gameifyed. They are saving money to learn abilities. They have to register with some stupid guild. Rewards are guaranteed from killing monsters.

Don't you think what you said sounds more like a regular Fantasy show?

Sakura

Sounds like a regular jrpg.

Some of it is certainly game like, but at the same time, there are no levels or experience points or anything like that. They have to actually physically train to learn skills it seems (spending 8 silver for a 1 week crash course to learn the basics of the basics). There don't seem to be stats etc.
I would say it's more transported to a fantasy world than trapped in a game type of thing. I could see both sides though.

Cornbread78

Well, that was some damn good closure to thus ride. I love the "against all odds" mentality of those final episodes. Not only from William and Emma, but also from Mr. Jounes as well. That epilogue scene
when he tells Mr.Campbell off was great. He finally stands up for William and sees it his way, beautiful.
The historical foreshadowing of that moment was really good too. And that ending; my goodness it was beautiful writing. It ended completely different from the way I was expecting.
The sad undertones of the series had me fooled, I had no idea they would end up together, I thought it was inevitable they wouldn't be able to solve the social issues and make it work, but William manned up and eased Emma's concerns in regards to that as well as the fear of William wavering in his feelings for her.
I got a hand it to yeah, John Blade, at times it is kinda slow paced, but it's definitely a worthwhile experience in the end.

Anyway, with that being said, why is Hakim still there, lol. He was a great best bro..

Narag u ass you tricked me this is just the preview for 4.44 (as it was known at the time) that played at the end of 3.33 but with Ode to Joy instead of the voiceover

Cornbread78

Hey Cornbread78, can you not spam an ad every 4-5 hours? If people are interested, they'll join in, if people are not, well then they're not. It's kinda annoying seeing the same post and gif pop up every couple of pages.

My bad. I usually do three pages then drop it. I'll leave it at 1 post, if there is a next one.

The fact that we have heard nothing - literally nothing - about 3.0 + 1.0 except for the name change fills me with so much hope*. We all assume that it will be a sequel to 3.33 and be the last Rebuild but I don't even think that anymore.

If a "regular" fantasy show starts to insert game mechanics into the entire set up and the way the world operates it stops being a regular fantasy world.

Oh i guess there are too much trapped in MMO series in recent years, so if there is a show about a person(group of people for Grimgar) transported to a Fantasy world, you automatic think this must me trapped in MMO series, right?

Not your fault you think like that though, of course.

The fact that we have heard nothing - literally nothing - about 3.0 + 1.0 except for the name change fills me with so much hope*. We all assume that it will be a sequel to 3.33 and be the last Rebuild but I don't even think that anymore.

Is there anyone really excited for it anymore?

Oh i guess there are too much trapped in MMO series in recent years, so if there is a show about a person(group of people for Grimgar) transported to a Fantasy world, you automatic think this must me trapped in MMO series, right?

Not your fault you think like that though, of course.
Nah, Grimgar is gamefied in a way typical fantasy stories aren't.

Jintor

Some of it is certainly game like, but at the same time, there are no levels or experience points or anything like that. They have to actually physically train to learn skills it seems (spending 8 silver for a 1 week crash course to learn the basics of the basics). There don't seem to be stats etc.
I would say it's more transported to a fantasy world than trapped in a game type of thing. I could see both sides though.

I think those specific conventions lean more towards a game world than a fantasy world.

Something like Log Horizon blurs the line, perhaps, but those specific conventions evoke game more than fantasy. You could wholescale replace the background with sci-fi shit and if you were doing the same thing I'd still call it a game world.

sonicmj1

All the footage in that trailer was from the episode preview that ran at the end of 3.0.

A fake Eva hype teaser.

On further investigation, it's is the only video uploaded by the official-looking Khara Youtube account, and there's no mention of the video or the announcement on the official webpage that the video directs you towards, so yes, it's probably fake.

Jarmel

Banned
I will literally drink champagne the day these EVA movies are done with. Some of the best talent in the industry is stuck working on this shit.

Feels like it's time for one of these.

Pretty good
ERASED

Okay
Dimension W
Gundam
Assassination Classroom

Meh, will probably drop some of these
Dagashi Kashi
KONOSUBA
Grimgar
Haruchika
Galko

I deserve this show
Garo Crimson World

Sakura

I think those specific conventions lean more towards a game world than a fantasy world.

Something like Log Horizon blurs the line, perhaps, but those specific conventions evoke game more than fantasy. You could wholescale replace the background with sci-fi shit and if you were doing the same thing I'd still call it a game world.

I'm just saying it is quite different than typical 'trapped in game' series.
If at some point it gets revealed they are in a fantasy world, or that they are in a game world, then I wouldn't be surprised either way, because I see leanings in both direction.

Jintor

I'm just saying it is quite different than typical 'trapped in game' series.
If at some point it gets revealed they are in a fantasy world, or that they are in a game world, then I wouldn't be surprised either way, because I see leanings in both direction.

Gamefied is something for DanMachi.
Like "buy the skill" in Grimgar not just simply buy it, it's you pay for the lesson and spend days to learn the skill from teacher.

Yeah, I suppose I can see it both ways.

I'll have to watch to find out I suppose. Everything people are saying simultaneously makes me want to watch, and also to claw my own eyes out.

Honestly grimgar has its issues but I appreciate that they're jobbers who don't know how to use their respective weapons well. I don't appreciate that they aren't really practicing in their free time to get better. You should get the message by now if you're struggling to kill goblins that you suck. Create a régimen to improve yourself.

I'm glad I watched Eva when I did. I'd probably be as disappointed as the rest of you after seeing that trailer and learning that it's fake, haha.

But even when 1.0+3.0 does come out, I doubt I'll check out the Rebuild movies.

I enjoyed Eva and End of Eva, but I never felt that the show was in dire need of a reboot series.

So this news doesn't particularly bother me.

What DOES bother me is that it is now 2016 and there has been absolutely no information regarding the third Nanoha movie.

Seven Arcs plz.

Yeah, I suppose I can see it both ways.

I'll have to watch to find out I suppose. Everything people are saying simultaneously makes me want to watch, and also to claw my own eyes out.

Scroll to #8708 first and click the link and see if you can take that level of fan service first, if you can then go for it.
(Picture's show isn't Grimgar but it's one of Grimgar director previous work)

Honestly grimgar has its issues but I appreciate that they're jobbers who don't know how to use their respective weapons well. I don't appreciate that they aren't really practicing in their free time to get better. You should get the message by now if you're struggling to kill goblins that you suck. Create a régimen to improve yourself.

Well, that's one of the point about Grimgar.
They starting to think they're all good now, but is it true? we will find out later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom