• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

Honestly grimgar has its issues but I appreciate that they're jobbers who don't know how to use their respective weapons well. I don't appreciate that they aren't really practicing in their free time to get better. You should get the message by now if you're struggling to kill goblins that you suck. Create a régimen to improve yourself.

Well they seem to be pretty good at killing goblins by the end of episode 3.
And honestly I'm not sure if they have the money to be spending the day training and not killing monsters.

Russ T

Banned
It's kind of hard to deny the gamey aspects of Grimgar's world when these people have to join a guild, have to kill monsters to make money, have to spend money to level up in the soldier ranks or whatever, etc.

It's not a game world. But it absolutely has game-like elements to the world.

Unrelated to the above: Why can't that dude who likes to cook just become a cook? Seems to me that forcing these people to become soldiers makes little sense if they don't have the talent for it. Which, clearly, none of these people do. Or, at the very least, they have had so little training as to be utterly worthless as soldiers. Don't people usually train for years for this sort of thing?!

Sakura

It's kind of hard to deny the gamey aspects of Grimgar's world when these people have to join a guild, have to kill monsters to make money, have to spend money to level up in the soldier ranks or whatever, etc.

Unrelated to the above: Why can't that dude who likes to cook just become a cook? Seems to me that forcing these people to become soldiers makes little sense if they don't have the talent for it. Which, clearly, none of these people do. Or, at the very least, they have had so little training as to be utterly worthless as soldiers. Don't people usually train for years for this sort of thing?!

Well, that is the thing though.
They don't have to kill monsters to make money. When they first came to that place where they were offered to join or not and get the 10 silver, they were told that if they didn't want to they could try and work otherwise, but they probably wouldn't have much luck finding work (and they have no starting money, no place to live etc).

It really is a situation where the big guy should totally become a cooks apprentice or work in a restaurant. Everyone else could find jobs elsewhere. I find it weird their only options are to fight.

And even if not there should be proper training somewhere. The guilds can provide it but apparently outside of the basics they charge you more. That's fine. But there's no combat or other forms of training anywhere?

Edit: a didn't see your response Sakura

I liked the manga ending a lot more than End of Evangelion, which just disappointed me all around.

Out of curiosity, how does the manga ending differ from End of Evangelion? I imagine it doesn't go exactly the same way as the TV series did. (Though if it does I'm going to laugh).

Feel free to spoil me.

It really is a situation where the big guy should totally become a cooks apprentice or work in a restaurant. Everyone else could find jobs elsewhere. I find it weird their only options are to fight.

And even if not there should be proper training somewhere. The guilds can provide it but apparently outside of the basics they charge you more. That's fine. But there's no combat or other forms of training anywhere?

Don't you think it's pretty hard to get hired as a chef(or other job) in a medieval like fantasy world when you're not even local citizen.
If they want to, say build their own restaurant...well they need to get enough money first, right?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
the first two sentences of a translated grimgar novel afterword:
From time to time, I’m asked what’s my ideal game. I’ve played a lot of RPGs before, so I would naturally say that it would be an RPG.

I'm a bad AnimeGAFfer and barely watch/post impressions, but this weekend I got the opportunity to marathon
DanMachi

To be completely honest pretty much the only reason I wanted to watch this in the first place is because of the Kanon Wakeshima ED Right Light Rise. It's been on my music player for months because I'm a huge Kanon fan and so I wanted to see the show.

It actually wasn't half bad! It's a super-harem show, (is that Kirito's VA? Isn't he also in Saekano, lol he must love harems) but at the very least that premise is baked right into the title so I knew what I was getting into.

On the other hand I was hoping I wasn't going to get another BEATER show and lo and behold there it is, he gets deus ex machina as his main shtick. Commence KILLS EVERYTHING mode. But at least there's an in-universe reason for it and isn't like Kirito-kun who just is plain good because he played in a beta.

The harem on the other hand is just weak. For a show that's supposed to be about a harem, like all but two of the haremettes have relevance at all. At least people like based Lisbeth has a sweet backstory and flying confession scene and lol

Apparently there is an entire other story the writer is doing that has everything from Aiz Wolbachia's point of view?
insert Quiet joke

best girl sodo purinsesu

DanMachi receives a score of 0.7 SAOs

Don't you think it's pretty hard to get hired as a chef(or other job) in a medieval like fantasy world when you're not even local citizen.
If they want to, say build their own restaurant...well they need to get enough money first, right?

It's not really any more far-fetched than someone paying to house a bunch of scrubs so that they can largely fail to kill goblins.

Perfect Insider 8

I liked the scene of dawn breaking; the gradual shift in the sky color was somewhat beautiful (as beautiful as it gets for this show anyway), and it mirrored nicely what was going on in Moe's heart. The "thinking" scene was pretty silly and random, but whatever.

The mystery seems to be developing along the lines I suspected. I'm not sure of all the logistical details, but before the show reveals the solution I'll give my guess here:
Dr. Magata wasn't killed when she seemed to be. No one's seen her physically for a long time, right? She's just been isolated in that room with video feeds the only direct contact between her and the outside. So either she was never in that room or, more likely (because someone had to set up everything inside), she somehow left the room a long time ago. The "body" of Shiki that came out on the cart was an artificial facsimile of a human body, a doll. The person who appeared to Moe and others via video was actually a sophisticated AI programmed by Dr. Magata. She had this fifteen year plan from the start. So the director was the only one actually killed on the day in question. "Miki" is actually Shiki masquerading as another personality. This explains why the Shiki seen in video and in "death" looks so much younger than her real age. This seems to be where all the clues are leading, at least.

It's not really any more far-fetched than someone paying to house a bunch of scrubs so that they can largely fail to kill goblins.

Anime seems not mention(and skipped) about it, but in LN it said that inn is free for volunteer soldier.

the first two sentences of a translated grimgar novel afterword:

Like someone said it feels like a JRPG, but doesn't mean it must be trapped in game series.

^

The show already has wonky rules when it comes to the military/security work. Nothing is stopping them from coming up with rules for the chef. If you wanted to go with regular fantasy rules, it'd be harder to get a 'police' like job, and you'd likely get to sleep in barracks and fed.

Russ T

Banned
Well, that is the thing though.
They don't have to kill monsters to make money. When they first came to that place where they were offered to join or not and get the 10 silver, they were told that if they didn't want to they could try and work otherwise, but they probably wouldn't have much luck finding work (and they have no starting money, no place to live etc).

Ah, I missed/forgot-about that, then.

Okay so they're all idiots for choosing the life of a murderer when they can't fight for shit. And anyway that big guy can cook up a storm, I'm sure he can find a job somewhere.

Anime seems not mention(and skipped) about it, but in LN it said that inn is free for volunteer soldier.

Someone is still paying for their living expenses. For a bunch of useless child soldiers that they leave completely unsupervised. It's not even like they're forced into some unit and exploited in a way that's beneficial to anyone.

Russ T

Banned

Yeah, right? Like, i don't remember the exact amount of time they spent training in their guilds, but IIRC it was a matter of weeks, yeah?

That's no time at all! How do you learn to fight, let alone work up the mental nerve to kill in that small amount of time? Volunteer soldiers can't be soldiers for long if they suck ass.

This world's system is broke as fuck, yo. I DEMAND REALISM IN MY TRANSPORTED-TO-A-FANTASY-WORLD ANIME!

Cornbread78

I'm a bad AnimeGAFfer and barely watch/post impressions, but this weekend I got the opportunity to marathon
DanMachi

Danmachi was a pretty good show overall. The fight scene in ep.9 was amazing and he really had to work at it to get better.

I haven't heard anything about Aiz, but from what has been rumored, Danmachi was the prologue for a much larger story to come later.

Sakura

Ah, I missed/forgot-about that, then.

Okay so they're all idiots for choosing the life of a murderer when they can't fight for shit. And anyway that big guy can cook up a storm, I'm sure he can find a job somewhere.

Maybe, but what do you do?
You are in a world you don't know.
You have absolutely nothing except the clothes on your back.
You can join as a volunteer soldier and get 10 silver, with that, at least you can live for a while. Or you can decline that offer and try to go find work on your own.
That was the offer they were made. It's possible in the future he could quit and try to become a cook or something, but for the time being I don't see anything wrong with the choice they made. And at least by the end of episode 3, he is probably making more money than he would make working as a cook some place.

Someone is still paying for their living expenses. For a bunch of useless child soldiers that they leave completely unsupervised. It's not even like they're forced into some unit and exploited.

Actually they pay to live there. It is free for volunteer soldiers, but not for trainees like they are. They don't live for free.

Russ T

Banned
What if it just these 6 people are useless? like, it's rare exception for them being useless.

I know we get an offhand remark about the other people they showed up with doing way better than them, but I don't buy the idea that most people who come here with no memories of their previous life have a natural talent for murder.

Yeah, right? Like, i don't remember the exact amount of time they spent training in their guilds, but IIRC it was a matter of weeks, yeah?

That's no time at all! How do you learn to fight, let alone work up the mental nerve to kill in that small amount of time? Volunteer soldiers can't be soldiers for long if they suck ass.

This world's system is broke as fuck, yo. I DEMAND REALISM IN MY TRANSPORTED-TO-A-FANTASY-WORLD ANIME!

Well yeah they're not actual soldiers, not even "police" like, you know, they're just volunteer, well, semi-forced to become volunteer.

If it weren't for those meddling LN readers I'd be rather inclined to believe Grimgar is a game world. One were the game mechanics aren't all clearly visible because that's usually what you'd want to achieve in a well designed, immersive VR MMORPG to begin with. Being stuck in such a VR game also seems a bit more immediate in my mind than being magically transported into some fantasy land.

There's also so many interesting concepts one could explore. For instance, what if this VR game was some kind of experiment where they allow (or force) people who're unhappy with their life to participate in this VR game while also removing their memory of the real world (temporarily perhaps). Would make for all kinds of interesting studies.

Really, there's endless interesting premises you could apply with an idea roughly like that and I would be very keen to follow characters who go through something like that when the real world aspects are actually of importance. For instance, I was always somewhat curious to see how the SAO survivors would return to their lives. But since SAO is garbage all the way through, it didn't even really attempt to explore anything in that regard and would've failed if it tried anyways.

But what I'm getting here from those who read the LN like Max Kolbe (unless you didn't actually? not sure) is that there won't be any of that and I should go cry in a corner instead :/

What if it just these 6 people are useless? like, it's rare exception for them being useless.

How many teenagers with little training and no authority over them are going to become good at slaying monsters? The whole scenario makes little sense beyond the "hey, it's like a video game" angle.

Actually they pay to live there. It is free for volunteer soldiers, but not for trainees like they are. They don't live for free.
How did they pay for anything in the long time before they actually killed a goblin?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Perfect Insider 8
The mystery seems to be developing along the lines I suspected. I'm not sure of all the logistical details, but before the show reveals the solution I'll give my guess here:
Maybe it's in poor form to say anything, but I'm interested to see your reaction to the ending, and the similarities and differences it holds to your prediction. Really the solution itself is less important than the motivations that lead there. In Perfect Insider's case the backbone of the story is Dr. Magata's unique brand of thought, and that largely informs the events that make up the entire scenario. The flashbacks have a huge amount of meaning beyond just providing backstory, which you've already started to key into.
Like someone said it feels like a JRPG, but doesn't mean it must be trapped in game series.
"help, i am trapped in this scenario that mirrors a video game and have no memory of the past or the world i left behind. also the world operates like a video game, just by chance, and may not actual be a video game." better?

Sakura

How many teenagers with little training and no authority over them are going to become good at slaying monsters?

How did they pay for anything in the long time before they actually killed a goblin?

?
They received 10 silver in the beginning for joining. Or did you forget?
They haven't been there that long.

I think you guys are completely ignoring the fact that someone purposely selected these people and brought them over from their own world to grimgar. There must be a reason.
Either they got some sort of potential or the disposition to be killers or something.

DanMachi succeeded by covering it's flaws in charmingness and actual character growth. It didn't do anything ground-breaking or game-changing, it just did the tropes and such that it used well and succeeded in being entertaining based on it's humor, charm and characters.

That and the episode 9 fight was fucking amazing. Legitimately fantastic. Unfortunately it sorta...loses itself at the end. No way should Bell have been able to beat that final monster, even with his ability. It just drained any tension out of the show.

I also liked Perfect Insider but for some reason when I was thinking of my favorite animes of the year it didn't register and when I realized that I was okay with it. I wasn't too sure what about it prevented me from loving it but there was something there that stopped it from working for me.

Russ T

Banned
Maybe, but what do you do?
You are in a world you don't know.
You have absolutely nothing except the clothes on your back.
You can join as a volunteer soldier and get 10 silver, with that, at least you can live for a while. Or you can decline that offer and try to go find work on your own.
That was the offer they were made. It's possible in the future he could quit and try to become a cook or something, but for the time being I don't see anything wrong with the choice they made. And at least by the end of episode 3, he is probably making more money than he would make working as a cook some place.

That's as may be, but do you really think Shy Mage Girl would've chosen the path of a soldier? No matter how worried about money she was? She can barely look at another human being and has incredible self-esteem issues. How's she gonna go out and kill goblins.

Well yeah they're not actual soldiers, not even "police" like, you know, they're just volunteer, well, semi-forced to become volunteer.

Yeah, that's my point. This system is fucked up. You're asking these people who don't know shit to go out and murder with barely any actual training. Seems legit???

Oh great fuck up my memory a little, yeah they still trainee for now.

How many teenagers with little training and no authority over them are going to become good at slaying monsters?
In episode 1 MC said Renji(the white hair guy) team already become actual volunteer soldiers.

In episode 3 MC said 23 days pasted since they're in Grimgar world, not very long time before they get their first kill.

Sakura

That's as may be, but do you really think Shy Mage Girl would've chosen the path of a soldier? No matter how worried about money she was? She can barely look at another human being and has incredible self-esteem issues. How's she gonna go out and kill goblins.

Well that's why she is in a party with others. Even if they suck, 6 people on one goblin is hardly impossible.
If she was on her own, she probably wouldn't have been able to do anything, you are right.

Then someone else paid for all of their living expenses and we're back to where I was before. And 23 days is a long time.
What are you talking about? They paid for their own living expenses.
They got to the world, they paid 8 silver to join a guild.
The 1 week crash course includes room and food during that time.
That leaves then with 2 silver or 200 copper after the week, so 1000 copper between 5 of them. They pay 20 copper each day to stay at the place they are at. That means just for rent they could afford 50 days.

edit: Unless you mean the 10 silver they got in the first place is 'someone else paying' them. But it's not that unusual for jobs to give you a hiring fee. Sure maybe they suck, but then they have to pay back 20 silver anyway just to become proper volunteer soldiers.

Russ T

Banned
Well that's why she is in a party with others. Even if they suck, 6 people on one goblin is hardly impossible.
If she was on her own, she probably wouldn't have been able to do anything, you are right.

Nobody like her would willingly join a party to hunt down and kill things for money.

Then someone else paid for all of their living expenses and we're back to where I was before. And 23 days is a long time.

I've got no horse in this "do they pay for the inn or not" race, but IIRC meals/food costs mere coppers. Presumably a single silver is many coppers, so you can survive food-wise for a decent amount of time on 10 silver. Maybe lodgings are similarly cheap. "Cheap."

Jintor

I can't tell if this is good or bad.

As we all know, 1.0 SAO is unbearable.

But does .7 SAO mean it is only .7 of SAO, and thus still seven times the the Deus Ex Machina limit before they confiscate your anime watching licence?

I've got no horse in this "do they pay for the inn or not" race, but IIRC meals/food costs mere coppers. Presumably a single silver is many coppers, so you can survive food-wise for a decent amount of time on 10 silver. Maybe lodgings are similarly cheap. "Cheap."
Then those 10 silvers are a fortune that could feed a family for months. It makes it even dumber. Poor fantasy world tax payers.

This is taking me back to SAOturdays.
Yeah, I shouldn't keep this going.

Jintor

By the way, the twist for my trapped in an MMO series is it's all VR training and you've been brought here to become killers.

Thanks Kojima.

I can't tell if this is good or bad.

As we all know, 1.0 SAO is unbearable.

But does .7 SAO mean it is only .7 of SAO, and thus still seven times the the Deus Ex Machina limit before they confiscate your anime watching licence?

I'm on Team Cornbread (as in I actually enjoyed SAO the first time) so a unit of 1 SAO is a measurement of enjoyment! :D

I'm fairly certain 2.0 SAOs is a lethal dose right?

I think I gave Gurren Lagann a 7 SAOs back in 2013

Russ T

Banned
Then those 10 silvers are a fortune that could feed a family for months. It makes it even dumber. Poor fantasy world tax payers.

Yeah no arguments here.

The world seems to have a lot in common with, say, D&D. Food and junk is cheap, but buying actual useful equipment is where the big money comes in. I can almost imagine this is the beginning of some D&D campaign, except instead of level 1, they're like level 0.1.

Narag

i'm glad i never watched sao if it's anything as dumb as this shit

Yeah, I shouldn't keep this going.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Just that it was interesting that SAO's adaptation apparently suffered in a similar fashion. You have people with legitimate issues about the show and you have a flustered LN fanbase trying to explain important details that were left out.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Just that it was interesting that SAO's adaptation apparently suffered in a similar fashion. You have people with legitimate issues about the show and you have a flustered LN fanbase trying to explain important details that were left out.

Other than inn free or not thing others are in the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom