• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Snow White with the Red Hair S2 ep.2
I'm a week behind but oh well. Cute episode, especially with Shirayuki needing to bring something from the Zen along with her. In any other world, this would be reverse harem. Actually, I almost want to call this one as it is, but she is just too cute with Zen, so no...

There's a bunch of these "Japanese guy is transported/reincarnated into a fantasy setting" stories where the main character becomes a monster race. But Overlord's the only one like this that's gotten an anime, and the protagonist is usually OP as fuck (something that pervades the entire genre so oh well). I wouldn't be surprised if more of them got an anime eventually, but it'd still probably be trash.

If Re:Monster gets an anime adaptation I will pay one of you $5000 to fly to Japan and burn down the studio making it.

Prince of Stride: Alternative Episode 4 Run - When the Mind Is Full
tumblr_o1kjlzWrrA1qbxqfpo2_540.png
tumblr_o1kjlzWrrA1qbxqfpo1_540.png

Best episode thus far. Ayumu Kadowaki reminds me so much of me even. Anyway he is pretty awesome and I loved his development arc this whole episode.

I thought we were going to have RIP Kadowaki when he went through that tree, but wow he didn't end up falling behind, actually if he had landed he would have gave them a huge lead

Rubberbanding in this anime is still at its fullest though, I hope we get an episode when they are 1 minute behind and they somehow pull through and win.

Prince of Stride: Alternative 4
The female lead is such a non character that she's barely even spoken to, in most scenes she just stands around while everyone else interacts with each other. Even your typical otome blank self insert usually has more purpose than this.

Qurupeke

Man the FE Fates thread is an anime blowup today lol.

I'm just laughing super hard at all the masculine insecurity regarding relationships in the series.

If it wasn't for the relationships I doubt I'd notice FE, so it's a good thing they exist and I tried a great series. And based on the sales, I don't think I'm the only one

pbayne

Paniponi Dash 2

I dunno this show might be too crazy for me. Its like Gintama mashed together with Nichijou only a thousand times more insane and reference heavy.

Its a lot of fun but jesus its tiring to watch.

Gad Guard 1

Awesome jazzy soundtrack. Mech designs are pretty cool. Ill give it a few episodes, see where it goes.

Linky-link to the surprisingly awesome opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta8_5O9RUZ0

Ascheroth

Prince of Stride - 04

Stride is serious business.
Ayumu was hilarious in the first half and kinda awesome in the second.
Hopefully Sakurai finally got over her 'insecurities' as a relationer and stops getting influenced by the enemy team. And yeah, she really doesn't do anything outside of just being there outside of the races.

That race was intense btw.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V 90
CZq5J1vWcAAYGK1.png

Unbelievable.

Epic episode, I just wish Yuuya-oniichan would play the happy card to keep Reira from regressing to his war state, though I wonder how his personality is when he is like that.

JulianImp

Okusama ga Seitokaichou! (My Wife is the Student Council President) is getting a second season.

It'd be good if that'd fill the seasonal quota of harenchi shows when it airs and we'd get nothing else to go alongside it, but sadly things aren't like that in the anime industry or any other.

Galko's still the better harenchi show without having to resort to explicit harenchiness, though.

well i finished Hyouge Mono

i find it tough to admit but it might be better than ping pong

this aching feeling... surely it must be the serenity of transcendence

phaze

Toradora was alright. Hated it and dropped it because of Taiga but I had nothing to do and recently finished it. I guess Taiga is alright.

Bakachi was robbed

Taiga
a shit.

You gonna keep watching Kare Kano? The direction of the drama etc. will remain the same so I don't see you really liking that more along the way, though there's always a chance I guess.

Dunno how much you value the comedy side of it still.

For the time being yeah. It's a pretty well regarded show and something I was planning to go through on my own anyway. I dunno, if I get slapped by multiple eps like #3 and #8 in a row I may not survive it but we'll see. At this very moment though, I'm putting priority on Haikyuu cause I want to be able to put second season on my AotY ballot.

Haikyuu 2-13

I feel a bit silly for, despite repeatedly reading songs of praise for it here, not bothering with Haikyuu earlier. Somehow I just never felt like it. Maybe cause I don't care much about Volleyball. But I'm glad to say that for once AnimeGAF hype delivers. Haikyuu is just a super enjoyable series. It's a sports show through and through and it doesn't attempt to be more than that but with it's assets, the likeable cast, direction and the production values, it doesn't really need to. I think the thing that surprised me the most was how on point the comedy is because I really wasn't expecting to smirk and laugh a good number of times. So yeah, good stuff, if the second stuff retains this level and from what I've read here it does, it will rank highly on my AotY list. At this point, I think my only (small) complaint would be the relatively slow pace of progression. Within this amount of time, Ping-Pong managed to already conclude its entire story. In itself this pace doesn't bother me but there are small moments where matches start to drag a bit with long winded explanations, monologues and the like. I wanted also to complain about how invisible the rest, benchwarming part of the team feels but they just got their own moment where they got acknowledged so that's off the table. Now to wait for Miss Manager to utter more than two sentences ...

Qurupeke

Golden Time 7-9

Episodes 7 and 8 were some of the best so far. I really like the 5 first years a lot. I just hope there will be more episodes like that, with the 5 of them having fun. Maybe add a (2D) girl for 2D-kun too, I didn't like he's the third(well, more like fifth) wheel.

Koko has really advanced a lot as a character and I like her more and more. She's in love but in a much more supportive and non-pushing way than before with Mitsuo. She still retains much of her personality from episode 1, but this makes her even more fun. Every scene with her is a pleasure. Her hate for Oka and Mitsuo is also lovely. He deserves even more hate now that he got that haircut.

Also, I'm surprised with that scene about sex. I guess I should have expected it though, they're adults, not teens. I haven't seen many animes that go there, so it was good. Koko is usually so dominant but her reaction was perfect, haha.

Anyway, good things don't last long I guess, judging by episode 9's ending. I can't say that I didn't saw that coming, as people here warned me, but I hoped the ghost would stay as a plot device, in order for the viewer to see Tada Banri's pre-accident memories. The thing that scares me the most is that old Tada Banri was immature, a pervert and a crybaby, I'm not sure how he'll be now, but I have a bad feeling about this.

Hopefully Linda can make a smart decision for once and stop him. If the show doesn't end with Koko and Banri kissing under the Eiffel Tower in Paris, I'll be angry.

Cornbread78

which shows are hated the most this season?

They are all hated for the most part, other than Erased and the Raguko show. However, there is a low tolerance, in general, towards this season's garbage for most people.

for me so far:

Great:
Erased

Good:
Konosuba
Gate S2
Snow White with Red Hair S2
Dimension W
Koyomonogatari
Heavy Object
Utawaremono

OK:
Bahamut
Grimgar
Phantom World
Marshmellow

Almost/should/probably dropped:
- Pandora

Dropped already:
- Active Raid
- Divine Gate

Overall most hated:

Probably Pandora and it's loli, sexual overtones $hit is probably the most hated overall.

Szadek

They are all hated for the most part, other than Erased and the Raguko show. However, there is a low tolerance, in general, towards this season's garbage for most people.
Speaking for myself, I watched about 20 shows this season and I'm down to 6 already, but I don't hate most of these shows.
They just weren't good enough.

Lol every season is garbage.

Honestly best thing to do is read up the summaries on anichart or whatnot and go from there. Something that we don't like might be something that you do. That being said, Erased and Rakugo are the two shows that everyone seems to be enjoying quite a lot.

Is anyone even watching Pandora?

All of heard about it is that it's disgusting apparently, and that it has good reaction faces.

I also remember someone made a thread in off-topic that didn't go well...

Ascheroth

Im not watching it but the one that seems to spark the most debate is Grimgar. I honestly can't tell if people like it or not anymore.

And Pandora

Grimgar sparks much debate because it has an interesting concept and a beautiful visual style that could have been something really good if it weren't bogged down by shitty LN writing.

Like, it feels so weirdly disjointed. The setting, the premise and everything is screaming that it wants to tell a serious story and wants to be taken seriously. But then every episode there is at least one cringeworthy scene that completely takes you out of that experience and reminds you that it's just pretending.

A least that's how I feel about it.

Exalted

Hm, i'm not really enjoying Schwarzesmarken as much as i did Muv-Luv AlternativeTotal Eclipse. I don't dislike it, it's a dark mecha show with lots of action, what's not to like about that , but i feel like i almost have to force myself to watch it every week.
A very big problem for me is that its a prequel to an already existing serie, and if you watched that one, you already have an idea on how the story goes in Schwarzesmarken.
Europe falls and almost everybody dies. So it kinda feels pointless, since you already know the end outcome, and it's negative one too. It's not really like in Muv-Luv ATE , where the future was a mystery and anything could happen, so you watched to see how it ends.
Also the visuals at time feel, like they are worse than the ones in the original series that aired years ago, how is that even possible?

Russ T

Banned
Grimgar sparks much debate because it has an interesting concept and a beautiful visual style that could have been something really good if it weren't bogged down by shitty LN writing.

Like, it feels so weirdly disjointed. The setting, the premise and everything is screaming that it wants to tell a serious story and wants to be taken seriously. But then every episode there is at least one cringeworthy scene that completely takes you out of that experience and reminds you that it's just pretending.

A least that's how I feel about it.

Yup yup yup! 100% agreed.

Exalted

Total eclipse is probably one of the worst animes i have ever seen. It's right up there with freezing
Well i do have kinda selective memory, my brain only remembers the good parts, while completely erasing anything negative from memory, heh. When i think about Total eclipse i only remember that scene where everybody thinks that the MC died after a fierce battle, and they are sad, and then they see MC coming back alive with a only barely working mech, all while having dramatic music and with the sunset in the background . I can barely remember any of the other characters and dialogues, only that they were not really good. And that there was a really random beach episode.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Grimgar Episode 1

Man this group fucking sucks.

Grimgar Episode 2

"Nothing happened"

Please get rid of Renta.

Only good point of this episode was finding out that red head had a butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom