• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koyomimonogatari 03

Missed the hole "stumbling" skit lol.

The shorts format for this show really works for me. Wouldn't mind if it was always like this.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 49

Yui still the MVP. So much for Stop and Freeze. They ended up being nothing. Dyspear did end up being the personification of despair. And she just kind of folded once they got their super forms. Well that was kind of disappointing. Not bad, just underwhelming. Looks like Flora is going to solo the final enemy, though it'll hopefully be more of a personal battle rather than a save the world type affair.

Cornbread78

Shirayuki-hime S2 ep.3
Wow, character development for the douche prince, this is new. Good mix of fun and humor in the episode, but I can't believe they are going to have Shirayuki
get kidnapped again, wtf. I thought we were
done with that after S1...

Good stuff overall though.

John Blade

dominion_tank_police_by_alexsanlyra-d55supz.png

What a fun show to watch but a bit in a different tone from the original OVA Dominion Tank Police. Unlike the 1st one, the tone of the show is less comedic feel and a bit on the action pack and serious tone story line. Not saying that is bad but you notice it when you watch Dominion Tank Police and New Dominion Tank Police back to back.

The story line remind me a bit of action flick movie in the 80s. You have a big bad cooperation company who making weapons and sending it to terrorist to cause chaos in New Port City and the police force is the only one who can stop it. Along the way you start to find out small secret and eventually found out the real reason of this issue. Nothing too crazy here and you kinda know what will going to happens next but what make the story plot lack, it manage to push the action scene which is fun to watch.

I think everyone will like this OVA and would recommend watch it but only when you finish the 1st OVA Dominion Tank Police as that start this entire series.

Yu Yu Hakusho | 63 - 67

I really liked the introductionary soundtrack of the echoeing drums in #64 as they showed previous events in a slow frame manner.
Though I wished it played continously and with shorter intervalls to build up with Yusuke's emotions, instead if being cut off by dialouge and content from the previous episode.
I also liked how Yusuke's engulfing powers resembled that of Toguro, in that they also affected the surroundings. Instead of being told what type of struggling emotions went through Yusuke's mind, it was shown through the aura colors constantly changing.

A scene I liked in particular was Yusuke processing the loss of a loved one. The screen slowly fades to black and then shows a sort of dream like state where Yusuke is slowly walking forwards as the timeline of his comrade goes on in the background. To then fade out with him having walked up to the killer in the arena.
The very last fight of the tournament was a lenghty one, which I welcome. It ended on a more dramatic note than I maybe would've liked, but I came out with a good sense of closure. Noticbly lack of cool stills though!

I'm not a fan of being shown character defining flashbacks afterwards, I much rather have it told before or during pivotal moments. I feel the impact of certain events would've been higher then.
A thing I do not like is how this show so far handles character deaths. I'm starting to feel fatigued by the (admittedly few) back and forths and how it sometimes uses it for temporary dramatic effect. Not only for me as the viewer, but also how it affects other characters.

The Dark Tournament is now over, and in a way I'm glad to return back to the world with its 'openess' and the creativity it has to offer, instead of being restrained to the Island.
Overall the Tournament was a fun watch with some impressive setpieces and fights. Now to look forward to some Tournament aftermath, and to my surprise a younger Takehito to play a part!

duckroll

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 10

This was a bit of a hit and miss. The lunch disaster story was pretty funny, but I think it dragged on for a bit too long. Doesn't help that as part of the humor they decide not to show the climatic battle at all after all the teasing throughout the episode. That's the sort of subversion that annoys me. I like Leo's relationship with White, but my issue with how they're taking the central plot is that it feels like a ton of treading water. Every episode throws in a few more references that something bad is going to go down, and adds another piece of the Black/White backstory, but from the get go I think it was clear how things would eventually go down based on the foreshadowing in the very first episode. I wish they made it more interesting if they weren't going to get on with it. Or just let it simmer in the background more while spending more runtime on the funny antics.

kewlmyc

Osomatsu-san 16

Wow the fujo pandering this episode was off the scales. Found both segments to be pretty good. Better than last week at least.

John Blade

Neon Genesis Evangelion or G Gundam?

Come+on+we+all+know+you+can+t+hate+g+gundam+_5c02194c87bf750b57df17440fb19d19.gif

It's the only way. Also, I gave in. Look like the coming month, I will watch a very emotional show which will pull my heart string a bit. You keep asking me to watch and now, I will watch the show on the gif below.

296jammedgun.gif

jbug617

Banned
The manga release schedule for Silver Spoon has been very erratic for a long time. It's clearly finishing up, but chapter's rarely get released. So I wouldn't expect a third season until the manga actually finishes

starts back up this week. Seems like we are close to an ending.

duckroll

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 11

Okay, I really liked this one. This is how they should have done the Black and White story all along. I wasn't really thrilled by the teasing and the bits and pieces spliced in the various episodes, but having a complete flashback worked great. I think they should have focused on splicing in Leo and White interactions in the various episodes without bringing much of Black into it. Black's interactions with the villains were pretty funny, but his interactions with Leo were just frustrating and felt like misdirections. They should have just left it to this episode to carry all of his development, because it was more than enough.

Man, after the cliffhanger, it would really have sucked to wait months for the finale! Glad it didn't happen to me! :p

Cornbread78

Eva is a 10, G Gundam is a 9. Can't really lose.

Eva is fantastic but you'd totally enjoy G Gundam more.

You might want to remove that. Let Cornbread experience the glory of that scene with surprise!

Sounds like a coin flip to me. I plan on watching both this year anyway.

I have no idea what that gif is, no worries.

It's the only way. Also, I gave in. Look like the coming month, I will watch a very emotional show which will pull my heart string a bit. You keep asking me to watch and now, I will watch the show on the gif below.

So, you're going to watch Clannad finally?

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.1
Ok, talk about jumping right into the fire. His father is clearly bring fronted as an asshole scientists, but we'll see where they go with it. Interesting so far.

Yona of the Dawn 6

The contrast between the hair cutting scene here and the one in the first episode of Snow White with the Red Hair drives home the gap in quality between the two series. In Snow White, the hair cutting serves no purpose, not even the traditional character development one (since Shirayuki is already perfect, so there's nowhere for her to go), it's just a whim. It feels like the author felt she had to include make the heroine cut her hair as soon as possible to make sure everyone knows she's a Strong Woman (TM).

Meanwhile, in this episode of Yona of the Dawn, Yona cuts her hair not out of any whim, but actually out of immediate necessity. She is being pursued by soldiers who want to capture her and kill her companion Hak, and when Hak is cornered and on the verge of death, she rushes towards him but is caught by the enemy leader, who grabs her hair to keep her from going to his aid. So in desperation, she grabs his sword and cuts off the hair he's holding, freeing her to run to Hak and protect him. It's a unique and organic method of cutting off long hair, and is the natural outgrowth of the character development Yona's been having for the entire series up to now, being thrust out of her life as a pampered princess and learning to take more responsibility and initiative for herself.

The meaninglessness and meaningfulness of these two events aptly sums up the nature of the two series. (Even the red hair which both protagonists have is a meaningless "rare" color for Shirayuki whose only purpose is to get her kidnapped, while it's used to symbolize the fiery determination awakening inside Yona.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom